Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Wheeee posted:

Even a Ford is better than a Tesla in almost every meaningful way.
I think the Tesla charging network is still leagues ahead of electrify America or whatever the other charging vendors are and I would call that pretty meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That was where he said Telsa has the advantage but that's it. Build quality of the Ford overall is better

Plus Ford has actual real service centers everywhere that you can just drive your car to imagine that!
I agree but it's a pretty big deal. I'm not interested in Tesla at all, just bewildered that no one has been able to come close to their network. It's the one reason why none of these EVs interest me I guess. Also the ford Mach-E is just about the most boring looking car, if it were not for the Model Y which is somehow worse.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I like the leather better than the cloth after having owned both, the interior just looks a lot nicer in my opinion. Also seems unpopular, but the sunroof is really nice in the GTI and makes it feel bigger inside even though you have less headroom I guess. Also for what it's worth, unless something has changed, you don't get the full LED adaptive headlights or push to start unless you get the SE, two things I think are kind of a big deal. Also not sure if they have DCC anymore, but my SE came with it as an extra package and it does make a big difference in the ride quality.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

norton I posted:

The Mazda3 turbo is looking pretty attractive as a fun hatch, I'm looking to test drive one when I'm fully vaccinated.

Most of the reviews I see are complaining about how it has an auto and how comfortable the ride is, which is only making me more interested.
Reviewers complain about the transmission because in the competition you get a DCT or a manual option, while Mazda is using an old 6 speed torque converter. Still seems like a cool car though.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

?!?!? That this?

Are we talking about the same car.....?
Probably means the newer one with four doors that no one bought.

I think the Sante Cruz looks cool as hell, but I don't think our SUV CUV market will buy something like this mainly because that space in the back can easily just be covered and then it is more useful, even if people never use the space, they think they will. It would be way cooler if there was a passthrough in to the back seats and you could fold them down, but they didn't even do that.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have seen the C8 in a number of videos but when I saw it in person at first I didn't know what I was looking at, it's pretty striking. I like it a lot.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
All the new EVs look the same, I suppose it's what Americans want, but how boring. The one that doesn't is a truck which is worse than boring.

Edit: I guess the Kia / Hyundai are somewhat exceptions but VW, Ford and now Mazda have cars that look pretty much the same.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 7, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The ID.4 and Mach E doesn’t look very similar at all other than being crossover shaped. You definitely wouldn’t mistake one for the other on the road.
They look close enough to me to be the same car, yeah, the front looks different, but the rest is the boring crossover look, yes.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Have you actually seen either car in person?
Yes, my neighbor has a new Mach-E and in person it looks even worse than I thought it would. I test drove an ID.4, so yeah on that too.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
If you like the SUV and crossover looks, than great for you, I don't like the look so them looking the same is kind of a bummer. I especially dislike the profile of the crossovers and it's just disappointing to see that we're doing the same thing with EVs, if not predictable since probably 80% of new sales are SUVs, Crossovers or pickups.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't mind the look of all crossovers. I like the Subaru Crosstrek design I guess since it's basically a hatch back thing. I also don't mind what the Germans are doing with the SUV fastback type cars, but the design language on all these new EVs just look so similar and when that Mazda popped up, I commented on it. No big deal, if you like the design you have a lot of cars to choose from.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Don't worry, by 2030 everyone will be driving an F-150 in some form.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Does seem a little weird that the car with suicide jump doors and two tone style prompted a “all cars look the same” post.
I guess it's just me then, but when I see any one of these they just remind me of each other. Here's a quick photo of all three.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
A lot of the Camry's come with a 300hp V6 which is somewhat compelling in the XSE, but not enough that I would ever buy one. I am not sure how the automatic is on the Camry, but the Audi will definitely have it beat there I am sure. I would like to drive one and see how it is though.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

bird with big dick posted:

Like to see people arguing that CUVs are poo poo because they’re needlessly tall and then immediately turn around and say they’re not easier for old people with lovely knees to get in and out of because they’re not any taller than the alternatives.
A lot are just car height with black cladding and some are not. The Mach-E is tall, but also the ground clearance is the same as a lot of sedans. It probably depends on what car a person is thinking about and who said whatever it is you heard. I don't mind the CUVs, I get that people seem to have trouble getting in and out of cars but also the majority of CUVs aren't driven by old people. Definitely some are, but I would say it's a lot younger of a market than people are making it out to be.

Americans just like big cars, people don't have to make excuses for that, the F-150 is the best selling vehicle in the US, and it isn't exactly the easiest vehicle to get in and out of.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 12, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Americans *do* like big cars and that’s obviously a part of it, but young people also like cars that are easier to enter and exit. The extra height doesn’t always come from with extra ground clearance but it does come with a higher roofline which means higher mounted seats and a more upright seating position.
But again, I'll point out another example besides the F-150 that sells really well that is also not easy to get in and out of. The Jeep Wrangler sells 200k to 250k a year and is maybe the most compromised SUV type vehicle that sells a significant amount. I have my doubts that most people have issues standing up out of a vehicle, yes some do, but that's not why people buy these cars.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I still maintain that the market for crossovers and large cars is younger than people are making it out to be and that most people in this market have no issues getting in and out of cars. That's okay, you don't have to make excuses for your car purchases, it's completely legal to own a large car. In my anecdotal experience, older people are more likely to own an F-150 than a crossover, and it isn't as easy to get in to those.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 3, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
That's why I don't park next to anyone anymore.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Some new cars are tuned for gas mileage to hit their targets, so that means it shifts early at really low RPMs. My car in D will stay just at 1100 RPMs most of the time if it can, so I think what they do is put most of the usable power down as low as they can. They are so fuel conscience my car uses 0w20 oil so there is less friction from the oil and they can squeak out even more mileage out of it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My neighbor recently got one, I saw it once when the garage was open about a month ago and haven't seen it since. It's one of the orange ones. I commented on them before, but they are just really great looking cars and I love seeing them on the road.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

You Am I posted:

"Why don't they make basic cars like they did x years ago!"

"OMG it doesn't have ventilated seats! That's a war crime!"
The Bronco is a 50k+ vehicle. I think people shopping in that price range have different expectations than people shopping for a basic car.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think the e-tron RS looks nicer than the Taycan, and I think it's basically the same car although maybe being a Porsche it holds value better.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BraveUlysses posted:

^imo they're the only two good looking electric vehicles on the market
Yep, totally agree on this.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I thought the auto WRX has been CVT for a while now, is that not the case? People seem surprised. Anyway, I'm surprised they made it more boring than current gen. I think the current gen has some styling I like, but they threw it away and added cladding.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The cladding is weird, but I could not believe the bumper when I saw the Redline video on it, he absolutely hated it and could not understand the reasoning for it. It looks like the actual bumper fell off or something.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think the new look is nice, drivetrain is mostly the same, interior has been heavily criticized due to touch and capacitive controls. Seems like the general consensus is it's a good car that isn't as good as the previous model due to laggy touch interface for most things. Not sure I would spend that kind of money until things get fixed. If you want to see a decent review of the interior, it's mostly the same as this GTI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGbPHp6QfkQ&t=428s

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I just don't think much compares to the straight piped Harley's, they sound like complete poo poo, like no car straight pipes since it's a terrible sound, but for some reason bikes do it anyway. It's unreal how loud it can be when you're just sitting at home relaxing.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Hyundai makes a Kona N now as well with the Veloster drivetrain. Nothing special on the outside, but it's almost just a hatch. Too bad we don't just get the normal GT hatch or an I30.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
That review made me think about how much more interesting the Santa Cruz is than the rest of the mid-sized truck lineups. It has a better drivetrain than that maverick and looks a whole lot better. If only the bed were not so small.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Mazda offering a 'short range' car because people don't drive a million miles a day is brave when everyone thinks they drive a million miles per day...

These guys did a full review today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDYKr-YoNmU

Seems really expensive for a short range slow EV, but looks nice for that type of vehicle.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It seems weird that they only sell it in CA, and there is very limited availability, but it's on their front page of Mazda USA front and center, they flew people out to look at it, and gave out some review cars. Is this required as a compliance car or are they testing the waters for demand?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I haven't driven a car with a modern torque convertor, but the DCT in my GTI has some weird characteristics that I imagine they don't have. Like skipping the clutch, or engine braking. Sometimes it's super aggressive in engine braking too when it is in sport, but also it has a mode where it will disengage and coast in neutral.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Some cars like the new Corvette will even rev in gear if you pull both paddles.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the Taycan and probably the cousin e-tron RS have a two-speed.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It just looks like a Toyota SUV with a big grill to me, doesn't seem any more offensive than any other new SUV, but I don't mind the huge BMW grill things.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KillHour posted:

Aren't quads known for flipping over at low speed and breaking the rider's neck?
Those were three wheelers and were banned a long time ago.

Edit: not saying quads can't have accidents, but the three wheeler ATVs were super dangerous even at low speeds.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Russian Bear posted:

Fortnine had a video on this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_C8z0rFnjk

Spoiler, the same or more kids die on quads.
Got it, thanks.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KillHour posted:

It would be insane for them to develop a V8 at this point. I'm sure they're working on a hybrid drivetrain for it to make up the numbers deficiency.
They had a 5 liter V8 like two years ago in these cars but lots of people ditching those for torqueir turbo 6s to hit MPG targets I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's cheaper to install than physical controls and you can sell it to the general public as a positive feature by waving your arms around and screaming "TECH!" a few times so it's here for a good while at least
This is kind of what I am thinking. It seems like a modern design and they have to have a screen anyway, so they can also just remove all the physical buttons, dials, etc and save money and look modern.

The new GTI is a great example, it is clearly for cost cutting though they bill it as a cleaner looking modern interior. But also the backseat doors have cheaper material then the front seat doors and they did a bunch of other things to make it cheaper from what was on the 7.5.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 10, 2022