Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

747 CAS. How big of a GAU can you fit into one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

How many people are on those journeys? Is it a single important person, a group, or just people coming and going at different parts?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Lake of Methane posted:

That airplane-shaped purse looks like a thing someone would turn into a novelty computer case.

Helluva combination of words there.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pc-ck101-mini-itx-locomotive-review,3414.html

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Surely there's some way of making sure the actually important NOTAMs are prioritized over the bullshit ones. Like filter them out by altitude effected or some poo poo I dunno.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Collaborate with poor, doomed tom selfridge on a series of interesting pioneer era aircraft, then mostly give up on aviation in a huff when glenn curtiss very rudely decided to start turning profit?

No drag, only lift.

*scrapes across the beach*

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

X-wing real world equivalent absolutely needs to be based on something that also has folding wings.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Goddamn that's absolutely incredible. :stonk:

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I texted my conspiracy nut coworker about how I'd be dead today according to what he's proselytized for the better part of 2 years, and he said to "run and get some glutothione liquid form (???)", because it "cleans you [sic] liver and is a good cardiovascular detox."

Sadly it was too late. I'd died like all the other vaxxed people exposed to the same frequency that's been used at airports for years.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

At the FDR home museum you can check out the hand-pulley operated lift he used to get around the different house floors. He was pretty strong apparently and could hoist himself with ease.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Nebakenezzer posted:

So guys I know what fans y'all are of the Mitsubishi Mu-300

Anyone know where to find more sweet sweet cutaway illustrations like the one here? Searches for AVI AGRAPHICA didn't seem to yield any results.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Air Show season is starting again soon. Any really big ones to look out for that might be worth using up paid leave for?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Zero One posted:

Lost wignat

I laughed out loud.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The wife and I recently got to see an airshow where the F-35 and F-22 performed, first time seeing them in person for us. The F-35's were surprisingly loud, louder than the twin engine F-22's ad F-18's. The F-22 definitely lived up to the alien quality I'd expected in how it was moving via thrust vectoring, like it was cheating gravity. Always fun to hear the crackle of an afterburner.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

standard.deviant posted:

Takeoff power involves afterburners and landing does not.

Yeah, at the air show the best passes were when they zipped by the crowd then turned tail and cranked the afterburner sending glorious air shearing ripples right into everyones chests. Guess it's the loudest you can get barring actually breaking the sound barrier.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So someone watched Top Gun Maverick and thought, "hmm, I'll bet I could scam some venture capitalists about hypersonic travel now."

https://gizmodo.com/venus-aerospace-hypersonic-plane-1849039397

:jerkbag:

To be fair, a significant portion of the population, including billionaires, have billiard ball smooth brains and think movies are documentaries soooo....

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Beef Of Ages posted:

This is why I usually carry my passport in my pocket for international flights, and I have a picture of it on my phone which is always in my pocket as well. Super low chance of anything occurring, sure, but it's the same rationale that drives me to keep my shoes on for longer flights until we're above 10,000ft.

It's nice to hear other people also keep their shoes on for this reason. And it's not just for a botched takeoff. I have a weird fear of falling to death from a disintegrating plane without shoes on. Don't want my toes getting cold on the way down.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

That explains a lot. The scramble to climb back in the rolling and running plane was crazy, I had no idea it was like catching a car that was left in neutral.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

~Coxy posted:

Since the J is already the Super Hercules, I think the -190 would be the Hyper Hercules.

We need to defer to official Pokeball class lore on this one.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Salami Surgeon posted:

I remember watching a documentary on The Bomb in high school, and one of the bombardiers in testing would miss his target because he'd get excited and stick his rear end in the air before releasing.

Upon reading this sentence several times I've come to the conclusion that it makes no sense.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Lenny Nero posted:

Very cool.

Relatedly, I was on a walk with my wife in the hills of Oakland California yesterday, and we saw and heard what I thought was a B-17 flying some distance away, but I didn't have my phone on me to confirm. Sure enough it was: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=aceff0&lat=37.803&lon=-122.216&zoom=9.9&showTrace=2022-09-11

Pretty amazing to see a B17 flying, and I can only imagine what a full bombing formation would look like from the ground. More googling resulted in this: https://www.azcaf.org/location/hayward-ca-tour-stop/

Growing up in the east bay that B-17 was a regular part of summer days. I always enjoyed spotting it when walking between classes or commuting to work.

e: gently caress

https://patch.com/california/livermore/7-killed-flying-fortress-crash-aircraft-graced-livermore

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Ardeem posted:

That happened in 2019.

I know, but I left in 2011 so now all my old memories are tainted with sadness. :smith:

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Now get him running on a treadmill and we're in business.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Peter McIndoe is a goddamned hero and a true patriot. He's spreading the truth about how sick Gen Z is of all the "adults" around them going loving nuts.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

https://mobile.twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1608535238476697600

:berninator:

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

drat we're scheduled to fly in there tomorrow. Or maybe not.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I guess we'll report back in a few hours on whether poo poo is hosed or unfucked.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Snag a good seat at the airport bar now people.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Thank Christ there wasn't a Southwest on the catapult getting ready to launch.

*image of giant hands holding scissors over Super Bug*

This kills the airframe.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Not sure if this is thread appropriate, but Montemayor puts out solid animated battle map videos. His latest is on the carrier battle of the Eastern Solomons. Always fascinating to see how the fog of war complicated the already complex logistics of putting fighting planes on boats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=571OpfoyZXg

There's also a bonus at the end.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Tom Scott is always good, and when he covers aeronautical content it's even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPaQInkWV7g

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Make it rear loading, stick a big dome window on the front and let me lay prone on my belly. Add in enough booze/drugs and I'd pay decent money for a ride.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Humphreys posted:

Hmm Sailfish have learnt to fly.

Thats seriously an impressive bank angle though.

Thanks, now you've triggered me into hearing Sail on repeat in my head all day. :argh:

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Anyone have 2.5 hours to kill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqDj7o19CWw&t=13s

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Pablo Bluth posted:

An A321 was damaged by excessively bright filming lights then allowed to take off when nobody noticed.
https://petapixel.com/2023/11/13/airplane-forced-to-land-after-windows-were-melted-by-video-lighting/

Love working in film industry where they insist on using lighting technology that is monstrously, catastrophically, absurdly fire prone.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Who is the most senior official that gets flown on Ospreys? I'm assuming the President has never been transported in one.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Some things just aren't worth flying for. :fireman:

Scam Likely fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 8, 2023

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Also there's a passenger plane with canards and a big rear end delta wing taking off in the background.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Phanatic posted:

Some people apparently did try to get their belongings but were mostly shouted down by other pax. At least one guy in the article grabbed his backpack.

Am I an rear end in a top hat for sometimes wearing my backpack on my chest during landings just in case we have a rapid unschedule deplaning? The backpack contains my life's work.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Whoever was sitting right next to the gaping hole in the airplane probably really regretted putting their coat in the overhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

BIG HEADLINE posted:

One of the worst flights I ever took started with a dude bringing on a huge bag of In & Out burgers and storing them in the overhead compartment.

It was a transcon flight. -_-

Best thing is to keep them in a backpack on your chest for easy access during take off and landing.