Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ugh. You guys really weren't kidding about Invisible War. It is borderline unplayable for me. I knew it was a really disappointing sequel to many but after recently finishing Deus Ex 1 again and having never played the sequel I wanted to give the game a shot despite knowing of all the shortcomings the game has.

I think I spent more time loving around with texture packs and getting the game to look okay on a widescreen monitor than I did actually playing the game, which kept crashing to the desktop with no error message on the way to Lower Seattle and not at the same point either. The game really does run like rear end. So yeah... I give up with Invisible War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

dvorak posted:

Yeah I'm going to be playing the game again with Biomod after checking it out, and my stand-by weapon will always be the most badass scoped Stealth Pistol possible.

Doesn't Shifter add some kind of cool custom stealth pistol somewhere? I'm pretty sure I remember getting one last time.

Yeah, Jojo has it on your second trip to Hell's Kitchen.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I actually decided to give Invisible War one last chance so I performed a fresh install and only did the widescreen fix this time. Funnily enough, the engine seemed a bit more stable without the texture pack. Load times seemed faster too. I guess I can deal with characters looking like rear end if it means I'll spend less time on the games numerous loading screens and if it makes an already unoptimized engine a bit more stable.

I'm in Cairo now and I find the game kinda fun in a very bastardized, simplistic Deus Ex way I think. I'm glad I gave the game one final chance but it's not a game I can see me replay much in the future, unlike the first game. :shobon:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It wasn't load minimise reopen, it was load close reopen. This was why, for example, the difficulty wouldn't stick in Thief 3.

Now that you mention it. Does Invisible War suffer from the same bug? I'm not really sure if there is any way to check what difficulty you are on during gameplay so I have to admit I'm curious if the difficulty defaults to Normal as soon as you enter a loading screen.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I can't quite make up my mind as to whether this is awesome or the epitome of :spergin:. I like the idea of porting levels to the Unreal engine but on the other hand, it comes across as petty whining about how HR not exactly like the original game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Since I'm pretty sure that Thief 3: Deadly Shadows and Deus Ex 2: Invisible War are on the same engine, I maintain that if someone remade those on a modern (read: not rubbish) engine they would make a mountain of dosh. I'd pay a healthy sum to have those games remade by someone who isn't a deranged orangutang.

I don't really have any feelings about IW, but Thief 3 is my favourite of the trilogy (and I'm well aware that I am in the vast minority there) and even I will unabashedly admit that it has serious issues.

I think the key difference is that Thief 3 was a pretty good game and had some good ideas even with the engine troubles, while IW has some really stupid design decisions that a new engine wouldn't entirely eliminate.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

double nine posted:

edit: wrong deus ex topic. Eh what the hell, might as well mention it:

So I've heard a theory that the Chateau and the next few levels are effectively homages to other popular games at the time. The Chateau and the upcoming Cathedral are a homage to Thief in style of gameplay and atmosphere, Vandenberg is Half-Life (1) related, especially the radioactive/hazard filled tunnels, and Ocean Labs has a System Shock 2 vibe (something went wrong, everyone is dead, the place is overrun with monsters and AI/robots gone haywire that targets you and only you, you piece together what went wrong from audio logs and emails scattered around the place).

I'm not sure how much is observer bias but I really like the idea.

Yes, and the catacombs section in Paris was a homage to Ultima Underworld if I remember correctly.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Does anyone else remember the exact moment when they said "Oh drat, I have to play this game"?

Mine was when my friend told me about how robot spiders broke his legs and he didn't have any medkits, so he had to crawl the rest of the way to his objective.

Still happens to me if I'm not being careful, during the tutorial when I replay it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shamefully, my first experience with Deus Ex was with the PS2 version. Though cut up levels aside it wasn't that bad a port, really. I ended up getting it because I heard of the elements of choice and skill levelling and at the time, that sounded really cool. Before modern games shoved that sort of thing into everything regardless if they fit or not.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The PS2 version is actually pretty cool. The levels are juuuust different enough that it remains visually interesting. Frankly, it's amazing that that a PS2 version got made at all. Must have been weird stumbling upon it.

Yeah some things got streamlined like locational damage but it was a remarkably faithful port otherwise. The levels, while cut up were also larger than Invisible War's too, so I always thought the excuse of the level design in IW being so crap because of consoles was suspect.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Given how Thief 3 Gold, which removes a lot of the loading zones between areas and fixes patrol routes between guards recently came out, I'm surprised nobody thought to do anything similar to Invisible War.

But I guess that's because despite its faults, Thief 3 is still a good game while removing the loading zones between areas in Invisible War fixes only one of the many faults with the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I thought IW made every side pretty horrible. Even JC/Helios became a total rear end in a top hat in Invisible War and made siding with him difficult.

Probably why I like the Omar ending the best, gently caress everyone else just let one of the few cool things about IW take over instead.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

The problem with this is the game will occasionally crash so you need Biomod's autosave system.

I've... never had it crash on me on my system, granted I use the DirectX 10 renderer but still.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

EYE can be done just fine solo and is balanced for it. Co-op makes it unbalanced as hell but in a fun way.

I suggest aiming for the Bear Killer magnum ASAP when playing, that thing can take down anything in one or two hits.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

EYE is awesome because you can gain PTSD and leg injuries all the time but all you need to do is press V and your legs are OK. Also you can get hacked by a door and then have to hack yourself to get rid of the virus the door gave you.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You can knock out Gunther. It's absurdly difficult and requires tons of prod charges and tranq darts once you get him to continuously run, but it is doable.

Side note: early in the game Paul, Anna and Carter will all comment on the number of bodies you leave. This is done by a check when you switch levels on how many corpses you left versus how many unconscious bodies.

Want to beat the check? Blow up or otherwise destroy all the corpses. If they don't exist, you aren't penalized.

I think the exception to this is Castle Clinton? I've gone through the sneaky back entrance but still got scolded at by Paul for killing everyone even though I knocked everyone out instead because I went exploring and must have gotten too close to the direct route of the place.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The trigger for that in Vanilla Deus Ex is actually going into the atrium of Castle Clinton from what I remember. You can clean out the entirety of the lower structure but if you cause a firefight in the atrium a switch gets flipped where Paul thinks you started offing everybody.

That's strange because I always usually exit into the atrium and have gotten scolded by Anna and praised by Paul before but maybe I'm misremembering. I guess it's one of those weird triggers, like leaving through the front door of the hotel vs leaving through the window deciding if Paul lives or dies, regardless if you help out in the firefight.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I thought the Helios endings were less a hive mind with a reigning AI God controlling everyone akin to the Borg from Star Trek and more of a way to monitor everyones needs on a ridiculously fast scale so Helios Denton knows exactly how to divert its resources to ensure equality for everyone?

That's how I always read it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think either Tracer Tong or Morgan Everett mentions near the end that Helios used its powers to lock the triads inside of their compunds and disable government buildings. Based on that, I'm assuming the Helios ending is basically Helios/JC Denton taking over all technology in the world and shutting down critical resources if people don't obey their orders.

Helios was born from an AI to combat terrorist and criminal organizations and the Triads are very clearly a criminal organization with terrorist ties.

Momomo posted:

You still have the issue Alex brings up, what if people don't want someone intruding into their mind? Would they even people anymore if they knew someone knew every thought that came into their heads?

JC's response was essentially "They'll like it. Trust me."

Well yeah but that doesn't seem out of character for JC, as closeted republican points out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've always wondered why people haven't imported the models from the PS2 port, which were better than the PC models but still old enough looking to not look too out of place with everything else. Maybe the file format is incompatible or people haven't extracted the files from the PS2 port?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Invisible War would need to have a proper faction system and not this half-baked version that's currently in the game, much larger levels which give you more options for exploring instead of tiny little boxes with lots of loading screens, ditch universal ammo, a little bit of a rewrite to Alex's character and actually give better reasons for joining certain factions like the Illuminati or Templars besides just doing it for the hell of it because they're cartoonishly evil for it to approach being a good game.

I kind of want a remake not of Deus Ex 1, but of IW to be honest. I think it needs it much more than the first game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The coffee shop chain missions were one of the few things in IW I kind of really liked.

The twist that they were both owned by the same parent company was pretty funny.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Samopsa posted:

DX on the PS2 is interesting. They did a really good job considering the tech they worked with, but it's still inferior. They redesigned the levels to fit in the RAM, and they also changed around how augs work among others. See this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQQfHzpaTg

The PS2 version was my first experience with the game. Rewatching footage of it now after being so accustomed to the PC version is weird though, the levels are all redesigned to be a bit smaller but the textures and models are better and it kind of throws me off. No locational damage too, so no blowing off your legs in the tutorial and crawling your way to the exit in the PS2 version.

It's definitely not a bad port though all things considered and while levels were cut down, they're not nearly as restrictive as Invisible War's I don't think.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So I'm playing through Deus Ex again, this time with GMDX and it's actually a really cool mod. I especially like how they made the AI smarter but balanced it out by giving you more tools to play with and rebalancing some of the weapons. The mini-crossbow with tranq darts is actually good if you score a headshot instead of a piece of poo poo now!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

The crossbow was always good with headshots. Also incendiary darts are really fun with it.

Incendiary darts was really good yeah but tranq darts were always a piece of poo poo to me. I hit someone in the head and they run around like headless chickens screaming in pain, setting off an alarm and then finally passing out. In GMDX, one headshot means they're out cold and even if you don't hit them dead on the head, they'll pass out much quicker than they did in the original. Same goes for other non-lethal weapons like the baton, I remember you had to aim at a very specific part of the body and you had to be pixel perfect to knock them out in one hit. Now it's much more lenient.

But enemies are also much more perceptive and will actually investigate where they last saw you instead of assuming you're some homeless guy and if you're hiding in the dark they'll now throw flares to flush you out so it all balances out. GMDX makes pacifist runs much more viable and less of a pain in the rear end and makes the prod more of another tool in your arsenal instead of being about the only good way to knock out enemies like the vanilla game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The tranq darts were always a one hit kill, no matter where you hit, so not exactly bad

Not before they run around screaming for 5 minutes and alerting every guard within a 10 mile radius as they scramble to the nearest alarm panel and activate it. They were supposed to be a non-lethal way to silently take out enemies, instead they're just non-lethal ammunition that will alert everyone to your presence.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

I wish there were a way to get Biomod's augs working with GMDX because that would be basically perfect. I'll almost certainly give GMDX it's day in court regardless because I've already futzed around with Biomod and Revision...

*spits*

I don't like talking about Revision.

GMDX seems to incorporate some stuff from Biomod anyway, like being able to mantle on objects and some augs being passive instead of needing to be toggled on.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A lot of that I didn't notice because I just use the baton in 100% of all situations. Not sure what you mean by red inventory, you can change the color of the UI to whatever you want. I haven't had much trouble with mantling (just remember you have to jump again while in mid-air, you cant just press once and hold). I've been hovering around 15 multitools for a while now, so I haven't had to worry about codes. However I will say that generally GMDX does in fact have the codes out in the wild, though I'm unsure whatever specific one you're talking about. Biomod would not mesh well with this mod , since they change the same things. After playing GMDX my opinion is that Biomod is sloppy as hell by comparison. I used to like Biomod but now I see it just made an already easy game even easier. That's totally cool if you aren't the kind of person that plays on the hardest difficulty for every game. For one thing Biomod just shits skill points at you.

Do you mean Shifter? Biomod gave you roughly the same amount of skill points as vanilla I believe, Shifter is the one which gave you skill points for how you tackle enemies.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Biomod 1.1 enables Shifter's skill system which, now that you mention it, is a toggle in the option menu. So I guess it's not really Biomod's fault

Yeah it has been a good few years since I used Biomod but I was fairly certain it was a Shifter feature that you could enable in Biomod through messing around with ini files. This was before 1.1 came out though.

Deus Ex might be my most replayed game ever. 3 playthroughs on vanilla, 2 on the PS2 port, 2 with Shifter, 1 with Biomod, an aborted playthrough of Revision and an ongoing one with GMDX. The features of the various mods start to blur together.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Xander77 posted:

My Athletics is augmented Advanced, and I don't feel like Mastering it for that benefit.

Meanwhile, GMDX thinks that invisible walls are so last gen.

No, he means there is a perks tab on the skill screen that allows you to spend smaller amounts of points for extra small abilities. You must have missed it entirely.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

orcane posted:

The same also goes in the other direction. Not everything some people think is bad about DX:IW is objectively bad, it's just not their thing or not what they like(d) in games like Deus Ex.

I'm fairly sure the loving game having to close down and then restart every time you do a level transition, which is all the time, is an objectively bad thing dude.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DX12 is broken in Mankind Divided, from what I can tell but it was also one of the first games to release with DX12 support and I suspect the implementation isn't great. So yeah, stick with DX11 since DX12 offers no benefit, I got way less crashes with DX11.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I honestly think mechanically that Mankind Divided is the best Deus Ex game, even moreso than the first game. It's just kind of a shame that Square-Enix meddled in its development and it's the middle game of a trilogy that will never see a conclusion because Square-Enix are just that poo poo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well, there is the implication that [Mankind Divided Spoilers] the Jensen you play as in Mankind Divided isn't the real Jensen but rather a clone used by the Illuminati to find out who among them is secretly Janus and working against them. It's alluded to by the body in the Versalife vault looking extremely similar to Jensen, Sarif mentioning that the augs Jensen has don't match the serial numbers given to Jensen in the previous game, an unexplained gap in Jensen's memory after the Panchaea incident, and the sidequest about the serial killer which shows the existence of augments that can implant memories from another person. I think that was going to be the big reveal for the next game.

No idea if that idea will be scrapped by the time Square-Enix gives a new Deus Ex game the go-ahead though, haven't the director and all of the writers left now?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

I recently finished Mankind Divided and thought the story was much better than some people were making out. It didn't seem to end abruptly at all, rather than evidently leaving scope to develop a sequel in. By setting the games pre first Deus Ex there's a limited amount they can do with the story so of course the stakes are going to be lower than the world changing consequences of the first game.

I think the aug issue is fine by itself, if a little crass with the wholesale copying of the contemporaneous BLM protests, but it would have been better if there were more discussion and exploration of all the other social issues plaguing the near future world.

Yeah. I actually enjoyed the story in Mankind Divided a lot, it was cool unravelling the terrorist conspiracy, being a double agent for proto-UNATCO and the Juggernaut Collective. Marchenko was a rather weak villain though and like Alchenar said, it feels like the end of Act 1 in a game that felt like it should have had 3 Acts.

Even though Mankind Divided covered more ground and was longer than this, it'd be like if Human Revolution ended after the Barrett boss fight. It's good... great even, but you're left wanting more.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Prague is probably the most vertical hub in the series too. There's a lot of little secrets on rooftops or in apartments you can only get to by opening windows from the outside that are high up and you need to climb things from a few blocks away to reach.

It kinda makes me wish for a new Thief game like that. Then I remember Thi4f and wonder what the hell went wrong there when the level design for Mankind Divided went so right.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Raygereio posted:

Do I unlock an infinite source of biocells? Because even the basic vision augment seems to drain the battery quite fast. It also seems a bit stupid that using your cool powers is being restricted by this super rare resource, that you also need to activate lifts and whatnot if you want to explore in Prague.

In a way, yes actually. One of the experimental augs you get allows you to break down weapons, ammo and other things into crafting parts, which you can then use to craft biocells and multitools and ammo specific to your augs. It can be really broken if you explore everything and break down everything you don't need into parts.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The only consequences of using too much typhon powers in Prey is that turrets will shoot you on sight and a single line of dialogue in the ending which is irrelevant to the morality or empathy of your actions. I think people are heavily over thinking it.

They're over thinking Dishonored's morality system too but in fairness that one is the games fault for making such a big deal over it when the threshold is so high.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Which game did you play? There was a literal ghetto, people desperately trying to get fake passports and an underground railroad run by crooks to get people out before the pogrom.

The entire plot of the game is also about stopping a conspiracy to assassinate a political figure who opposes The Illuminati's goal to create a mass apartheid state too and like you said, most of the side quests have you perform illegal activities to help augmented people escape from Prague. I have issues with the augs = minorities angle like anyone else but to say there is no sign of discrimination in the game is kind of dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've just replayed Mankind Divided a few weeks ago. There's definitely moments where you have to find an alternative route into places because "clanks aren't allowed" and the entire third act in Prague is in a curfew where all augmented people are shot on sight INCLUDING Jensen.

They really couldn't do much more than that without forcing players to go for one playstyle over the other which is antithetical to what Deus Ex is. I mean you could also argue that you could have a non-augmented protagonist too but then it'd be boring as hell; like no aug runs of Deus Ex 1 are.