Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Solaris 2.0 posted:

There was brief scene in Human Revolution where you saw people being herded into FEMA camps, which could have had a really interesting thing to say about where our society was headed.

Then in MD they went all in on "AUG LIVES MATTER" and, welp.

I'm in the middle of playing MD, and this seems a lazy critique. I've found it genuinely claustrophobic and horrible feeling the claws of a pogrom close around you and the people you're talking to, and going from Prague to Golem City is well done.

e: vv

Guy Mann posted:

Mankind Divided is really more about immigration and refugees than racism, the driving force of a lot of the game's setting and plot is augs being displaced after the world turned on them for going nuts at the end of HR and figuring out what to do with them, it even has "papers, please" checkpoints between areas and an entire aug ghetto as a level. It's muddled and has the X-Men issue of the augs actually being demonstrably dangerous by wont of existing but I feel like that one Aug Lives Matter piece of concept art just made everyone turn off their brains and dismiss everything that came afterward.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I replayed a bit of the game recently and I agree, I was being too harsh in my earlier post. I still think Human Revolution was superior, however. If only because once we get to Deus Ex, augs in society seem like it is a total non-issue. It's never really brought up in that game. MD almost feels like it is in a different universe, which colored my initial perceptions of the game.

Yeah, that's a bit of a disjunct. MD had a very clunky opening too, which didn't help - Tom 'Gunpoint' Francis skewered it very well here (comparing it with the far superior Prey opener).

quote:

Mankind Divided
Non-interactive intro cut scene.
Starts with a news report about a terrorist incident, layered over footage of unknown men attacking other unknown men. Same incident? Seemingly not. Same men? Maybe. What’s this incident? Don’t know yet. Trying to tell two stories at once, and both are just ‘terrorists do bad things’ so far.
Long, talky briefing, all tell and no show. We’re going after an arms dealer. He’s selling to some faction. One team is gonna do one thing, I’m gonna… block? An entrance? To keep the Jinn out? Aren’t the Jinn already there? Isn’t that who the deal is with?
Also interact with some gizmo in some way that’ll save? Our undercover agent? Why, how, which one was he again?
Long, unusually difficult stretch of gameplay with no further explanation. What I do in the level seems unrelated to what the briefing said: I’m not stopping the Jinn getting in, I’m moving through a level beating them up.
Peter Serafinowicz and I keep calling each other up to be assholes to each other. I don’t like either of us.
Get to the deal. Bad guys are there but other bad guys kill them. I must unplug a helicopter!
I don’t know who the gold mask guys are but it doesn’t seem interesting or important. Some bad guys killed some other bad guys over some weapons. The new ones are mysterious, but to be honest I knew next to nothing about the folks they just killed either. They’re both just violent people who want weapons, that’s all the plot that’s been communicated after about 30 minutes of talking and fighting.
Long credits sequence of disjointed news reports and symbolic imagery.
Long conspirator chat that doesn’t clarify anything.
Game suddenly goes back into intro mode, with a long non-interactive talky sequence arriving in Prague. The game’s biggest twist so far – I’m a double agent! – is never really mentioned, only indirectly implied by the nature of this conversation about Interpol logistics.
Another inciting incident! An explosion! It doesn’t reveal or relate to anything else so far.
In the third of three intros, you wake up in your apartment. Some of the augs you didn’t choose are disabled now but some aren’t and you can’t see which ones because that screen is broken – until you go and do a mission that’s hard and annoying without knowing what your augs are.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 17, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Willie Tomg posted:

I don't know what the hell went wrong right with my install of DX and Biomod, but now tranq darts have been replaced with flare darts, which I found out when trying to make a silent takedown on an NSF goon on liberty island and having them burst into flames, screaming. I'm.... strangely comfortable with it.

Sometimes you need to make a silent takedown

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah I think it is underrated, even the beginning stuff does get paid off, it just takes a while. Boss guys aussie acting really is inexcusable though.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 8, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Neurosis posted:

I assumed he meant his acting otherwise than the accent. If he is complaining about the accent then yeah, I have to disagree; as an Australian I think Miller's accent was a completely normal Australian accent (which is unsurprising, given the actor is Australian, as you say).

he's a really bad actor, who is an australian, thus all of his bad acting (100%) is australian bad acting

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Kinda reminds me of people complaining about Mark Wahlberg’s Boston accent in The Depahted.

MD was a lot of fun, though. It had story problems from being chopped up so much, but the hubs and level layout was top-notch and I liked the insane prototype augs.

Yeah his accent is fine, I'm a kiwi so i can tell it's authentic, it's just he reads lines like a dumbass.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I finally got around to it and the bank heist mission is so much more interesting plot-wise it's insane :psyduck:
Why is there even a choice? You should have played through both; the game is short enough as it is without cutting an entire mission each playthrough.

Fair point. I'd already cleaned out the bank on general principles, and I really liked the scene with crazy bomb lady.

I don't know about short though, I'm on like sixty hours and haven't finished yet, though I've been taking my time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cat Mattress posted:

Shift is crouch because it's logical.

WHEN YOU HAVE CAPS LOCK ON, shift crouches the letters SO YOU CAN'T SAY THIS ISN'T BACKED BY KEYBOARD SCIENCE.

(Checks science) he's right

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

El_Elegante posted:

Yeah, Mankind Divided is a very excellent iteration of the gameplay.

The architecture and design is also incredible. I think the main flaw is confusing writing and the structural issues of having no real ending. People bag on it for the politics, but the sense of looming horror it gave me of a tightening pogrom was really effective.

Oh and it needs an ssd, playing it without one would be torturous.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Desole, mais Deus ex est mort, mon vieux.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Casimir Radon posted:

I think part of the review problem is their microtransaction bullshit. It doesn't really effect gameplay and you're free to ignore it, but it's a lovely tactic and it was bound to get complained about in reviews.

The beginning and ending are also mucky, it's actually a solid and underrated game in its own right but the sequel hooks are clumsy (it ends with a long voiceover on a static screen of AI newsreader lady). And yeah the microtransactions were lolworthy.

oh and that DLC is comically worthless and overpriced, don't worry about it.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 15, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jojoinnit posted:

What the what? I haven't played all the dlc but what I've seen so far is wonderful and much better set than most of the main game. The prison break dlc in particular really captured the classic DX feel to me, it's a great contained set piece. Grab it on sale but it's absolutely worth playing if you want more after the main campaign drops off.

Oh no I meant the tactical rifle&2x gas grenades ones. The actual dlc is good, sorry.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I really liked the religious cult mission.

An ssd is compulsory for MD btw, you spend a lot of time on loading screens.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Deus ex had comically bad writing, it was just bad in a particularly fascinating way that games hadn't been before and haven't often been since.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xander77 posted:

Deus Ex was written by adults, for adults. Not "mature audiences" - adults.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xander77 posted:

Deus Ex was written by adults, for adults. Not "mature audiences" - adults.

My vision is augmented.

A BOMB!

Heh heh.

Well since that makes you my new boss, take a long look at Manderley's dead body. Consider that my resignation; I don't have time to write a letter.

When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror.

You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

I never had time to take the Oath of Service to the Coalition. How about this one? I swear not to rest until UNATCO is free of you and the other crooked bureaucrats who have perverted its mission.

Call me nostalgic, but the nightlife seems to have lost its old charm.

Some gang-banger, maybe you should think about going back to school.

Bravery is not a function of firepower.

Human beings may not be perfect, but a computer program with language synthesis is hardly the answer to the world's problems.

Every war is the result of a difference of opinion. Maybe the biggest questions can only be answered by the greatest of conflicts.

What good's an honest soldier if he can be ordered to behave like a terrorist?

You've got ten seconds to beat it before I add you to the list of NSF casualties.

What a shame. [said after NPC Gilbert Renton dies. JC says this even if he caused Renton's death]

A forgotten virtue like honesty is worth at least twenty credits

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The_White_Crane posted:

I don't remember this one. Where does it come up?

I got them from wikiquote, I had a look but it doesn't seem to come up in the other quotes so not sure.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Look Sir Droids posted:

MD is feeling like a slog. I just did the cultist mission. I think most of it is my OCD playstyle, reloading every time I gently caress up perfect stealth. All the new augs seem useless or very situational. Like how often can I remote hack? So I’ve been playing with HR augs only.

Remote hack is great for cameras. I never bother with perfect stealth though, I think I murdered the crap out of the cultists.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I had already thoroughly cleared out the bank when i got the choice and i loved the crazy bomb plot.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Farrier Theaks posted:

In Prague 1, you have different options in dealing with Otar and getting Koller's neuroplasticity calibrator from him. The first time I played, I stealthed into the hideout and stole it, completely bypassing Otar and everything Dvali related. This time I talked to Otar, who gave me the calibrator but asked for a favor, which led into a second favor, which led to the Red Queen and the Red Light District. It's a pretty goddamn big chunk of content I completely bypassed, and it says something good about the game design that you can do that.

MD is really great game that hits all the Deus Ex beats (criminal gangs, corporate espionage, personal-level conspiracy along with the big conspiracies, nightclubs, etc) and all the stuff with Janus and the Juggernaut Collective is pleasantly complicated. Everything's there but something's missing and I don't know what - you're right that it's oddly not memorable compared to HR. Probably because there's so much backstory poorly alluded to that comics and lovely phone games tried to fill in. I'm sadface that Square-Enix tried to make extended universe poo poo out of things and shelved the series for a while.

MD really does have the stench of corporate meddling all over it, which seems fitting

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There was a lot of goon hyperbole about it, someone up thread was saying you can finish the main story in six hours (which is prob true, but not that relevant)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jojoinnit posted:

You could play on mute, listen to a podcast or something?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I used to smash through games with the sound off, listening to music, but Deus Ex was one of the games to shake me out of that. There was always so much incidental audio, and the atmospheric tracks made the experience all the better.

HR and MD got that mood right with the music, I feel.

The architecture in hr and md is also amazing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wooper posted:

Ah poo poo, you're right, amorphous neo-liberalism is good actually?

50 billion to charity is a better thing than 0 to charity imo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ok

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MD is great*, an ssd is vital though. the loading screens are insane.

* dumb microtransactions, clumsy beginning and ending aside

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sleeveless posted:

White people being terrified of a country having what is basically a less poo poo version of the credit score system that dictates every aspect of their existence, up to an including whether hospitals will give them life-saving care, will never not be funny.

Good post citizen: +10.3 points for you

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's not a cliffhanger, it's just the middle part of the story. The endless clunky slide show at the end is bad but md is a solid self contained story imo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I honestly think mechanically that Mankind Divided is the best Deus Ex game, even moreso than the first game. It's just kind of a shame that Square-Enix meddled in its development and it's the middle game of a trilogy that will never see a conclusion because Square-Enix are just that poo poo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Farm Frenzy posted:

i miss the conspiracy focus but the real problem with the writing in MD and HR is that the main plot is weird vague nonsense and they never really give you a convincing argument for why people would be racist to people with cyborg arms

remember that time when everyone with robot arms went simultaneously insane and murdered a bunch of people lol that was a hoot oh well just off to work with my buddy Tony and his robot arms hope you don't go crazy again haha

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Farm Frenzy posted:

ahh drat!! my boss, cousin, sister, aunt etc all simultaneously lost their poo poo. time to put them in a ghetto for the rest of time and never speak to them again.

edit: also i had to look this up because i genuinely couldnt remember but people being racist to augs is a major theme of HR too where it makes even less sense. its just an extremely lame theme to hang your satirical cyberpunk dystopia thats a prequel to deus ex on.

irl racism is just based on people looking a bit different, i think thousands of cases of actual verifiable psycho murder might have a longer tail. This doesn't seem a stretch.

There's one quest in MD which is quite good on the PTSD, the vet in the lovely apartment.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It would have been much better if it had been hidden tbh, then the world would have just reflected your actions.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

*jams a knife all the way through a guards brain, tosses the body aside*

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alchenar posted:

Nah it's bad. Rule 1 of video games is that the PC should never do something cool in a cutscene the player can't do when controlling them, rule 2 is that if you are going to offer freedom then you can't snatch away that offer by judging the player for using it. Unexpected bad ending is particularly obnoxious to the player because most people are only going to play your game once.

Either do what Witcher does and make story choices drive the gameplay (rather than vice versa), or do what Splinter Cell Blacklist does and say 'hey there are three gamestyles and they're equally valid and you know what if you completely commit to one then we'll give you a badge for it!'.

that's what dishonoured does though. If you choose to murder people you get a lot more people to murder, and you end up in a land of murder.

I dunno, I don't really understand why people get so angry about being 'judged' by a game, it's not your mum.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 14, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes, there was going to be a third one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ilitarist posted:

Indeed, the horrible discrimination of having to board a separate metro wagon beeing the only sign of discrimination was laughable.

Which game did you play? There was a literal ghetto, people desperately trying to get fake passports and an underground railroad run by crooks to get people out before the pogrom.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You are a literal superman, and a cop. Why should day to day oppression that affects normal people affect you? But the pogrom is coming and it's plain that you'll be swept up in it, or it least it was to me. It only doesn't affect you if you ignore half the game.

I mean they could have had the cops shoot you if you went the wrong way, but that would have just been another fight.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I guess, but I had no trouble empathizing with the other augs having a lovely time. Idk if there's a good example of a power fantasy game that makes its players feel powerless while still being fun?

I mean actually, now I think of it: I'd argue MD did do that. I remember feeling both insanely powerful, but also helpless because the storm was coming and I couldn't stop it no matter how many racist cops I stabbed with my armblades.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ilitarist posted:

We were talking about discrimination that affects the player character and how it would be much more interesting to play anyone who isn't augmented James Bond.

Are there examples of the sort of game you're talking about? Deus Ex is literally you are augmented james bond, the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ilitarist posted:

Deus Ex is a lot of things, and you spend most of the first game as a fugitive hiding from the law (there's a short episode when you're attacked by the police in Prague but IIRC they have nothing against you personally). As for the discrimination - even the Witcher series did similar thing much better. You play as a superhero but people are constantly trying to cheat you and a lot of people just don't like you and are openly hostile because of who you are. In story it means that you're half way between dominating humans and repressed minorities, knowing they might come next for you. Jensen in Deus Ex is as alien as they come yet he's above all of those problems: his genetics make him not care about sustaining the augmentations and his job makes him immune to discrimination.

do you feel threatened or genuinely discriminated against at any point in either of those? I didn't, perhaps you did. I definitely felt the weight of oppression in MD, though even if it wasn't directed at me in any meaningful way.