Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Man, Mother Brain is a great character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve just realised the new Thundercats style reminds me of Kate Beaton’s work. I’m ok with that. I’ve seen people call this the CalArts style, and yeah, the big circle eyes and noodle limbs thing does seem to crop up a lot, but there’s just as many shows that don’t.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/phildragash/status/998332494423437312

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

dogsicle posted:

What queer shows is it being leveled at other than SU? Because in the context of this Thundercats stuff it doesn't seem like there's significant queer content or appeal to dogwhistle.

Star vs has had guys kissing in the background, Gravity Falls is very gay friendly (Sheriff Blubs and Deputy Durland), Adventure Time has stated Princess Bubblegum and Marceline used to date. That’s off the top of my head.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Man, I have wanted a back-in-high-school goofy animated Buffy show for ages and these character designs are pretty freaking awesome.

One nearly happened! Buffy: The Animated Series had a short pilot made, and scripts were written before it was fell apart. Fox Kids was going to show it, but then Fox Kids dissolved and no other channel wanted to buy it, as it was deemed too adult.

It was going to be set during Season 1 (episode 7.5, so after the Angel reveal) so they could have the Master as the overarching villain. They had virtually all the actors aboard except for SMG, who they were going to replace with the soundalike actress who did the video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnUvZP7-5LM

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m loving all these animation takes.

https://twitter.com/angusfordays/status/998844541615689729

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

all of the ones that have this similar style with more human characters always remind me of the same thing:

although looking at them side by side like this reveals the many differences

Bryan Lee O’Malley’s style is deceptive in that while it looks very simple, it’s fairly hard work.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

still hard to wrap one's head around the fact that this is where like 90% of the AT crew moved on to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mffPmElSc-c
They even got Science Saru to do the intro

There’s something really off-putting about all of that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God I miss Gravity Falls.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

raditts posted:

How could an episode of MST3K possibly cost anywhere near that?

I have to assume it's 98% cast/crew salaries, and then whatever is left goes on whatever wacky props and costumes they need that week.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh you’re talking about the MST3K reboot, not the original! I keep forgetting that exists...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

...together?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Butch Hartman video is back up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dtoEuw_dWI

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm so glad this is coming to an actual series, and I absolutely love the synths. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Gonna talk more about Zim.

I like that Minimoose is still there. Because he’s been there the whole time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, I should get that. Also I should probably open my special edition Journal 3.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe the movie idea he's floated about that's set after the summer?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A new Talespin would be right up my alley.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

When did American channels stop doing the Saturday morning cartoon runs? You had an awesome variety then, not just 6 hours of TTG.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

I don't think it's Disney's magic they're trying to replicate, I think its Netflix's.

It's sort of like watching a particularly stupid dog try to outrun a cheetah.

Yeah, it sounds like they're trying to ape the release schedule for Voltron, which has been releasing seasons of 6-7 episodes on a fairly regular basis (about 3 times a year). But Netflix announce the next season's release date just as the current season comes out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tim Curry did Auntie Whispers in Over the Garden Wall, and he was fine there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Tim Curry had a stroke? Is he okay? :smith:

Back in 2013. He’s still in a wheelchair from it, and his voice still isn’t 100% :smith:

This is from 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RWKbTEsVhg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The question is, is it just going to tell the same story or will it shake it up a bit?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I'd be okay with the live action version only if they go full meta and have an Ember Island Players episode featuring the VA cast of ATLA. I wanna see live action Zuko get increasingly annoyed with Dante Basco shouting about honor. :allears:

In related news, Dante Basco has become a fine rear end daddy. :swoon:

https://twitter.com/dantebasco/status/1041488394864525312

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I dread going into the SU thread, but it's the best place to aggregate news. Any new episodes announced/aired since the White Diamond one?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s kind of a musical?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

readingatwork posted:

It’s basically a short from a Flight graphic novel expanded into a full series. It’s cute and well animated but not particularly innovative or challenging. I’m not hating it so far.

Oh! I’ve got a couple of the Flight books! They’re lovely anthologies of short comics and I recommend them highly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is there an adult animation thread? I need somewhere to share this trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4QEuY4IeU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You say that, but I’m still waiting for season 2 of Buddy Thunderstruck. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Labes for days posted:

My mother in law was unhappy about dressing her grandson as a “kinky catboy.”

I mean, she’s not wrong. Do NOT go on tumblr.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Catching Villains is my jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqYg8xw7Oao

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh yeah, I'm all for that. And hurrah for Maurice LaMarche as Vincent Price. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Argue posted:

There's a... pretty big roadblock to doing that now...

There’s literally a trailer several posts above which just brought back Vincent Price.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Watching the first episode of Hilda, I feel like the subtext is very anti-immigrant?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

We watched the first two episodes last night of She-Ra, and it’s good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh my god, Sea Hawk turned up in She-Ra. Bow is super crushing and it’s great. :swoon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait, he literally punched Hitler? You'd think people would speak more to that if he did.

Kinda. Still, nazi punching good.

quote:

Scheimer was the son of a German-Jew who, according to family legend, had to leave Germany in the early 1920s after punching a young Adolf Hitler in 1921 or 1922, "well before" the Beer Hall Putsch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I made a She-Ra thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874976

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It took me a few minutes to realise that wasn’t Diedrich Bader.

Does no-one remember the incredibly bad twitter shitstorm when the young actress playing Kim was revealed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m watching my way through Avatar:TLA for the first time, and I’ve just watched Tales of Ba Sing Se and Appa’s Lost Days. Oh man, those are some gut wrenching episodes.

Leaves on the vine...