Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Looks like an Over the Garden Wall DVD is set to be released! No idea when, but Patrick McHale tweeted about it so it's definitely in the pipeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
After seeing the thread talk about it a bunch and hearing a friend watching it in the background of a discord chat, I finally decided to binge Star vs. The Forces of Evil. I'd watched the first episode when it first came out, and it didn't really grab me, but now after bulldozing my way through the series I have to say it's a pretty great show! Star in particular is a deceptively deep character, and I'm really interested in seeing where they go with things in Season 3.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
so can anyone explain to me why my dvr appears to believe the season finale for Star vs. is at 7 in the goddamn morning

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Trebuchet King posted:

I really hope I can watch this sometime in the next 24hrs. Sounds enticing.

Both episodes are pretty great, and together are a strong finish for the season.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

thelaughingman posted:

ludo has realy been treated like poo poo for most of his life and even moon can see that.

Sure, though at the same time it's important to note that he's still evil. He stole his family's home and inheritance, he treats his underlings cruelly, and is obsessed with power. He may have been manipulated by Toffee and given a rotten hand in life, but that doesn't excuse his actions or his underlying motivations in any way.

Also since I've got some spare time this morning, have some :speculate:

One thing I noticed while rewatching some older episodes is that in the first episode Glossaryck appears, he explicitly tells Marco to gently caress off because the book is for "Magical Princesses Only", and "Not for the likes of you". This flies in the face of when he's captured by Ludo and instantly gives up the book and himself. Now, this may be because Ludo fits closer into the vein of "Magical Princess", but I think there's actually something else going on.

One of the things that is demonstrated in the same episode Glossaryck appears (As well as various other points throughout the series) is that Glossaryck is capable of predicting events with extreme precision. He knows when Star will get back to normal to the minute in that episode, for example, and later in By the Book he intentionally instigates a convoluted series of events for the sole purpose of getting Star to read a spell directly from the book, and it goes off without a hitch. Combine that with his ability to detect and respond to Star when she cast her All-Seeing Eye spell in Raid the Cave, and it's pretty clear that he's effectively omniscient-he knows exactly what's going to happen, and when.

What he doesn't need omniscience to see is that Star is deeply insecure and actively resists Glossaryck's lessons, partly out of immaturity and partly out of her deep-seated fear of conforming to her future as Queen (Which she often masks with her immaturity). Though she's more than capable of learning, performing, and excelling, she only tends to do so when confronted with an existential threat. In other words, she'll learn, but only when circumstances force her to push herself to do so.

In short, I think it's actually pretty clear that Ludo didn't just capture the book by exploiting Star's hubris-Glossaryck let himself be captured, for the sole purpose of getting Star to push herself and take her training seriously (And basically says as much in Raid the Cave). So far, you could argue everything's going to plan-Star is now taking her training, her heritage, and her future much more seriously, and even willingly agreed to leave earth and (Presumably) train with her mother on Mewni. But while this has happened, it's come at the tremendous cost of turning Star into an emotional wreck and allowing Toffee to reemerge and destroy the Council. And while Glossaryck may have predicted all this, there's also the question of what he didn't predict, and how that will effect Star's future.

Regardless of what happens though, it's pretty clear that the writing staff has a clear plan in mind, and that there's a ton of hidden depths to the show that aren't immediately apparent. I'm definitely looking forward to Seasons 3 and 4, and seeing what directions they decide to take the show next.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I've heard very good things about Disney War

DisneyWar is a good book, but it doesn't really have much to do with animation-while their post-Walt animated movies are discussed, it's always from a production standpoint, and how those films reflected on Disney's business fortunes at the time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So here's a fun little easter egg I noticed.

Wonder if they'll mention if Marco's ever been to Oregon :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Xelkelvos posted:

Donald's voice is super odd now that every other character basically sounds normal while he's the odd duck in his classic voice.

It seems off having Donald involved at all given he was basically a non-factor in the first show.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Gravity Falls had a fantastic writing team-hell, they even had Bill Oakley, who was co-showrunner for the Simpsons back in Season 7 and 8 (AKA the last two great ones)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CuddlyZombie posted:

And replaced him with a newer, better god. :colbert:

wait, this isn't the American Gods thread

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I mean, I like Rick and Morty, but I spent the entire week hyped for Samurai Jack. I think the premier worked well as an April Fool's surprise, but getting a good thing I wasn't expecting doesn't exactly make up for having to wait longer for a good thing I was expecting.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Trebuchet King posted:

star season 2 hit hulu a lot sooner than i was expecting.

mister candle cares is pretty dang good. i think monster arm will probably remain my favorite.

You'll (likely) be surprised-the first half of Season 2 is decent, but the back half is where the show really becomes something special.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Yardbomb posted:

You know what we should do with a new show the next week from airing?

Also what the hell is that weekend :psyduck:

:stare: So I assume CN execs just assume kids don't actually watch the channel for more than thirty minutes at a time anymore?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Oh okay, so instead of it being a grand strategy revolving around the changing viewing habits of their target demographic, it's just network execs being idiots.

That makes sense.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Xelkelvos posted:

Is there a way to bring it to CN's attention that the guy running scheduling is a total fuckwit or something/

Unless you're a major shareholder, probably not.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

raditts posted:

Really? The most well known iteration is the one that did not feature Rockapella (whom I learned when talking about this with a friend of mine, are still performing)?
I didn't even know there was an animated series on Fox.

:shrug: It's the one I grew up with. Just one of those things where it's all about when and where you grew up that makes one thing more notable over another.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
May as well crosspost this from the fanart thread:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also, apparently there was a gallery show for ~official~ Star Vs. The Forces of Evil fanart from people who work on the show, which someone collected into an imgur album. There's some pretty cool stuff in there if you're interested in the show, especially these standouts:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I don't have any opinion on Ed, Edd, and Eddy, since it was literally the only show I wasn't allowed to watch :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
That is... that is something alright.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There's even a new intro that people have seen, allegedly!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
edit: ^^ this guy knows what's up

Trebuchet King posted:

what kind of evil do you have to be to say such a thing so tantalizingly with no links?

Because it was only aired at the gallery event I posted about earlier and nobody was allowed to record it, so there are no links :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I don't know about Dennis specifically (I don't think that's really a spoiler, but I'll roll with it), but I do think Monster-Mewman relations are going to be a major focus of Season 3. It's been boiling in the background all the way from Season 1's Lobster Claws and Mewnipendence Day, got some serious nods throughout season 2 (Especially in the Buff Frog episodes), and with Star going back to Mewni there's almost no question it's going to become a major focus of the plot, and probably intertwine with whatever Toffee's up to.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I only vaguely remember the first season of Ben 10 and I have a very hard time understanding how and why that show is constantly getting rebooted.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

drrockso20 posted:

Technically only the most recent series is a reboot, the previous three series are all continuations of the original

The live action movies are kinda weird on that they are both sorta canon to the shows, but are also considered their own universe

There were live action movies? :psyduck:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
What's funny is that, aside from there being no leak at all (Which was improbable at best), this was basically a best-case scenario for Disney. It's not the full clip, it's incredibly lovely quality, and it still took a week after the actual event for it to leak. I'm sure there are some people in the marketing department that are annoyed, but I doubt this is the kind of thing that will discourage them from doing future events.

Though it was funny watching people melt down thinking Disney would postpone or cancel Season 3 over it :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rudoku posted:

That was the best part of The Incredibles.

It really was.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
spoilers for Star season 3

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm cautiously optimistic about Ducktales at this point. I'm not sold on the series yet, but it has some good people working on it and I'll definitely give the first couple episodes a watch to see where they end up taking it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, have they said when that show is supposed to start yet?

Summer 2017 is all I can find.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Yeah, I wouldn't say cartoons before the 'modern' era were better by any stretch of the imagination, but there were still a good number of decent shows throughout the 2000s. You've got Samurai Jack, Justice League, Foster's, KND, Megas XLR, Avatar, and a bunch of other shows that were all worth watching. There was a ton of junk, too, but you can say that about every era.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
KND was pretty hit-and-miss, but I always loved how imaginative they were with the 2x4 Technology. As a kid who loved building poo poo out of Legos and smashing them together, watching the kids on the show cobble together machine guns that fired soup cans, that were then strapped onto planes out of garbage cans and soap-box derby cars, was extremely my poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TFRazorsaw posted:

already seeing people angry he's Hispanic now.

Because of course.

Why do people care jesus christ he's a loving duck :psyduck:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

alrighty then, I'll start it this july so we don't have too much dead time before the movie

Not if I post it first! :argh: I already wrote up most of an OP when I had some time to kill at work a few weeks back and have been holding off on posting it until Actual Season 3 news hit

Definitely agree about holding off until July, though, unless other stuff like the new intro or outro get released.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Hell, I was thinking of making a thread, too. I still plan on creating an episode guide for it.

Definitely do! I can always throw more stuff in the OP.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
On the other hand, the show's also been pretty good at showing Star rejecting the path others have set out for her and doing her own thing, so it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There's a lot of stuff that the show does really well, and Star's character is definitely one of them (It also helps that Eden Sher is a fantastic fit for the role). I'm also a big fan of how the show is constantly building its characters, their relationships, and the depth of the overall plot, often so slowly that you don't even realize what's happening. Take Marco's relationship with Jackie-in a lot of other animated shows I've seen, the "Kid and their crush" relationship dynamic is utterly unbearable, since it always goes back to square one by the time the next episode airs. This show didn't do that-there's a very clear progression of Marco building up enough confidence to not act like a complete goober next to Jackie, recognizing he has to actually communicate with her if he wants her to know he exists, and finally spilling his guts and asking her out in a relatively mature way. It's genuinely good storytelling, and that kind of gradual character progression and plot development is found throughout the show.

Edit: Star vs the Forces of Evil: Come for the laser puppies, stay for the compelling emotional drama :v:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 28, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/gabrielenguard/status/868845894698885120

So it turns out one of the writers on the new Powerpuff Girls has been self-inserting himself as Blossom's love interest.

:stare:

On the, uh, opposite end of good character writing...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

nope, just one of the two main writers

Man must have dirt on the showrunner or the episode directors or something because lord almighty, I don't know how else that could have possibly gotten through.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/KeikakuKat/status/868912209178632197

I don't know if this makes this better or worse

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The best and most likely explanation is probably that someone got the idea of inserting a writer into the show as a background joke and it snowballed from there, without anybody actually bothering to think about the implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mycot posted:

The kicker though is that the writer doubles as the voice actor, so you would think he would notice then at least.

Hell, they even used his likeness for the character! Everyone at the top of the show's production had to have known what was going on, it's impossible for it to have happened otherwise. It's why it's so goddamn insane that so many people let it get to this point.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 29, 2017