Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I have watched a single episode of the Tangled series, and my first impression is that Cass exudes powerful Crushing On Clueless Straight Friend energy. How disappointed will I be if I watch more episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Why does Tangled skip from episode 1 to episode 4 on Disney+? Is this a weird production order thing where Before Ever After is technically episodes 2 and 3 or something?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

To be fair, show!Rapunzel's hair is explicitly indestructible; it's not hard to imagine innate protection against tangling and general wear and tear resulting as a convenient side effect of however that magic functions. Of course, the fact that this can be plausibly explained just raises more questions about movie!Rapunzel, whose hair is certainly not indestructible and really should look like hell after everything she puts it through, questions which might not have otherwise come to mind.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Love to mindlessly reheat the same lovely transphobic tropes that Bugs Bunny has been serving up for literal decades.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Something that struck me on a recent rewatch is that Zuko doesn't even need to break out the firebending when he does. Hammer guy is certainly a cut above the rest of the thugs, but Zuko is still mostly holding his own with just the swords. It wasn't a do or die situation, he just got tired of holding back.

Also I'd never noticed before that the family from Serpent's Pass has a cameo in the episode.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Rudoku posted:

I remember the group earthbending scene from The Last Airbender. That's enough.

The best part about this is that for the attract mode when you hover over the movie on Netflix, that scene is what immediately starts playing, and I refuse to believe that the person in charge of that stuff didn't know exactly what they were doing.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The Wan story is neat as a standalone thing, but then you start to think about it as part of the larger whole for a few seconds and realize that it retcons basically all the lore surrounding bending from the original series, and it starts to leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

He's also a cop

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Watched Owl House. Nth-ing that the pacing is kind of wonky, and it definitely feels like Luz has been on the Isles long enough that "camp" should be over in like a week, tops. However, I pretty much accepted that I shouldn't think too hard about the passage of time after Luz and King wrote ~2.5 novels between them in as many days, including enough time for King to become a bestseller.

Honestly my biggest complaint is that I'm calling bullshit on Luz not knowing what a ballista is. Also, after realizing that all the other magic schools are named after body parts, I'm pretty sure I know where on the Isles Hexside is. It's butts. The answer is butts. :v:

In conclusion, Amity is great. More Amity please.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Senerio posted:

I have seen something so cursed I have to share it, and the only people I know who watch both TOH and SPOP are in here, except for the people who linked me this image.

https://twitter.com/catradora_kiss/status/1296502378347339776?s=09

Possibly even more terrifying than the image itself is the implication that there also exists an army of Hootaks.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hooty could easily cross over into being super obnoxious to watch instead of just being fun to hate, but to me at least he manages to avoid that for two reasons. First, none of the other characters can stand him either, which is a gag that somehow never fails to make me smile. Of course, acknowledging something is terrible doesn't magically make it not terrible, which is where the second part comes in. See, I get the impression that we're not really getting the Full Hooty ExperienceTM, and most of his worst behavior is happening off screen where the audience doesn't have to be subjected to it. Thus, whenever the other characters tell Hooty to gently caress off, you get the comedic payoff of "Heh, Hooty was about to do something really annoying/gross," without actually having to experience the annoying/gross thing yourself.

This was entirely too many words justifying the terribleness of a cartoon owl tube.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh poo poo, I just realized: Amity is stuck at home with a broken leg.

Amity is stuck at home with a broken leg.

Which means there are two possibilities here:

1. The cat's out of the bag to her parents wrt the shift in her social circle.

2. She's now having to actively lie to them to keep up the facade, or at least feed them half truths.

...I guess there's also the extra heartbreaking option 3: The Blights are so disinterested in their daughter's wellbeing that they haven't even bothered to ask about her leg.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

The twins seem to like Luz well enough, at least as an interesting curiosity. And Willow is no longer weak, so it might not really matter anymore.

This presumes that Willow being "weak" was ever actually the problem, and not just a convenient lie that the Blights tell themselves to justify their classism.

Agreed that it doesn't really fit the twins' MO, though. If anything, I think they'd be more than happy to run interference for Amity, assuming they can all get on the same page and trust that the others are acting in good faith (admittedly a big if).

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Owl House Finale Speculation:

Wonder who the (supposed by me) betrayer is, you cant really tell build or height but they seem to be able to walk freely so I doubt its amity, unless she be faking.

Good episode, I really like how they use magic in this show, very utilitarian view of it.

It's definitely not Amity. I don't think a betrayal arc from her is impossible, but if so it'll be a totally transparent, heat of the moment sort of thing. Anything covert and premeditated like this that casts doubt on whether her behavior is genuine would be the worst kind of queerbaiting and is a complete nonstarter imo.

Personally I'm expecting more of a Flutterina type situation where it's a new character whose intentions are made immediately obvious to the audience.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Also interesting to note that even in the human realm the glyph wasn't completely inert; the paper still got consumed, but the spell fizzled. Perhaps there is still some ambient magical energy on earth, just that it's much weaker than on the Boiling Isles.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Boiling Isles seem to have a very social darwinistic attitude which seems familiar, but then you realise it's basically just a slightly more honest version of life under capitalism.

I have seen it pointed out that Belos is only one letter away from Bezos...

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Back in the original series, there's that scene where Roku and Sozin fight a volcano, and Sozin uses firebending to, like, siphon heat directly out of the lava? It doesn't really bear any resemblance to how lavabending works in Korra, and it honestly feels vaguely plausible as a niche application of firebending even in a world where lava is explicitly under the purview of earthbending, but it's still kind of weird to think about in hindsight.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

...I have a lot of questions about the scale of Ba Sing Se on that map.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

...Actually, do we know for sure that Ozai isn't still alive and kicking during Korra? Even if we exclude Avatars, Bumi was in great shape at 110+, and Ozai wouldn't be all that much older.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

A thing I like about the Snuggly Duckling and its associated characters is that when you get to The Bothers Hook, you think to yourself "Wow, Hookhand's actually kind of an rear end in a top hat," and then you realize that it's not just because he's let the success go to his head. Since leaving on his world tour, he's missed out on several months of Rapunzel's softening influence compared to the rest of the pub thugs, so he's still operating more or less at movie levels of brutishness.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TwoPair posted:

(and I guess maybe live action shows? Do Nick and Disney still do sitcoms? Are they ever actually good?)

It's a few years old now, and oddly enough is also partially banking on nostalgia, but I thought Girl Meets World was pretty decent as far as Disney sitcoms go.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I feel like there are still shows that primarily exist to sell toys, they just tend to skew towards a much younger demographic these days. Thinking about stuff like Paw Patrol, there's a ton of Paw Patrol merch.

Also, since the OP brought up Barbie, last I checked they were still pumping out Barbie movies on the regular.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's interesting that they're making a Buzz Lightyear movie, but I wonder if they're going to bother with the extra level of fiction where this is the fiction of the show within Toy Story. Also I kinda expect them to bulldoze over the Buzz Lightyear show, which I can't say makes me interested. Disney's franchise expansions are messy and confused and constantly stepping on their own feet.

Tbf, if they do stick to the fiction within a fiction, they could spin it as explicitly being a reboot in-universe, which is a direction I'd probably be alright with.

Anyway, wasn't there already a Big Hero 6 show, like, not that long ago? Strange that they'd go back to that well so soon.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Non stop-motion Thomas is still incredibly offputting to me, but that 2D art style is... somewhat less so than the CG 3D? I guess? Maybe because I'm at least sort of acclimated to 2D Thomas thanks to all the books.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Can't wait for them to make a Velma show aimed at adults and still not give her a girlfriend.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

The racial allegory of monsters was in there in every season, but it was always really muddled and confused between things that didn't fit the allegory and then it was confusing what didn't count as monsters just like it would later being a lot of confusion about what counts as magic.

I think the show had a whole lack of planning in general.

TBF what counts as a monster being dumb and arbitrary was both deliberate and entirely in line with the race allegory.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

How's Owl?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There's also like half a dozen Disney+ shows for existing IPs coming up that seem like they might be trying to build on Tangled's success, but they're probably all still at least a couple years out.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

MorningMoon posted:

Meanwhile, in Owl House Shippuden
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1395020195148836874?s=19

Warner is putting up some news. This one, My Adventures with Superman, is going straight to HBO Max. Wouldn't be surprised if other cartoons get revealed today.

also there's some matt reeves, bruce timm and jj abrams batman cartoon, aiming for more noir stuff.

same energy

there's even a journalism B plot in this episode :tinfoil:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Tactless Ogre posted:

TyZula being another. One girl not set alight in a cerulean inferno and then bam, lesbians.

Don't be ridiculous; Ty Lee is pan and Azula is grey-ace. :colbert:

(What's the word for if I think Ty Lee probably has a crush on Azula but also have absolutely zero desire to see them in a relationship together, because holy poo poo that would be the most toxic thing ever?)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Portable Hooty

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

As I remember it, the post in question wasn't talking about shipping or textually queer characters so much as the general themes that the show was dealing in. And the problem wasn't people disagreeing in the case of Owl House in particular, it was a bunch of weirdly gatekeep-y posts about what does and doesn't get to count as a "queer theme."

There's a difference between "explicit representation should be the standard" and "the lack of explicit representation makes your queer reading of this work invalid," and most of the responses leaned much more towards the latter.

Oh, and for good measure, I think there were also a couple responses buying into the right wing framing that queer relationships are inherently more sexual than straight ones.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Obviously these sorts of denials are mostly motivated by cynical capitalist bullshit (no judgement intended towards the director specifically, I'm sure he has his marching orders), but I think there's also an argument to be made that there's value in maintaining a certain level of kayfabe, because if part of the goal is to get your big gay subtext in front of the eyeballs of kids with lovely parents that won't let them be exposed to more overt messaging, having a bunch of mainstream media buzz about how big and gay it is can be counterproductive.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The real question here is why Luz doesn't just get her own drat library card.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh, apparently Monsters At Work has started up? The first episode was decent enough I suppose, but nothing spectacular. The premise of "What does transitioning your entire energy industry to a new power source actually look like in practice?" is incredibly relevant, but it doesn't seem like the show is very interested in meaningfully engaging with the issue long term. It's going for much more of a standard wacky hijinks workplace sitcom sort of tone. Who knows though, maybe it'll surprise me.

Side note: I'd never actually considered interpreting scare energy as a stand in for fossil fuels before and now I feel kind of stupid for having missed it all these years.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I acknowledge and appreciate all the thematic differences being discussed, but also I'm going to continue calling Alice in Wonderland an isekai because it personally amuses me to do so.

(Admittedly Alice doesn't really have much in common thematically with portal fantasy either.)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about and how is this relevant to anything that is being discussed here, you weirdo?

I think maybe they're (badly) trying to suggest that actively seeking out lovely chud takes to get mad at isn't entirely healthy? Which is a sentiment I can sorta get behind, at least, even if the post itself is pretty :psyduck:.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I think the reason it gets repeated is that there is an alternative, it's just that the alternative is "there is no plot." The context in which it usually gets said is emphasizing that despite being a more serialized show, there's still plenty of "filler." (I don't much care for the implication that filler is somehow bad, but whatever.)

E: Dragon Prince is something that I would probably say is more focused on plot than character.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 29, 2021

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

My knowledge of Uncle Grandpa begins and ends with the Steven Universe crossover, why is there just a live action tiger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Literally every other aspect of TOH feels deliberately designed to piss off all the usual suspects as much as possible, specifically to disarm any potential backlash to the gay stuff. They were never going to be on board in the first place, so why should anyone care if they have one more thing to bellyache about?