Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

In today's Nickelodeon cashing in on 90s nostalgia news, the Hey Arnold! Jungle Movie got officially green-lit...

http://www.avclub.com/article/nickelodeon-wraps-14-year-cliffhanger-greenlights--233170

I'm curious as to how they're going to approach it. The generation that grew up on that show are all adults now and I'm pretty sure the younger generation doesn't know or care for HA! The whole appeal of it is that it finally resolves the cliffhanger from the finale. Unless Nick plans on hyping it by playing reruns in the weeks leading up to its release only the adults are going to be invested enough to want to watch it.

Regardless, sweet sweet closure. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

nerdman42 posted:

Cartoon Network's releasing potential pilots again.

Infinity Train: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY6kfVWv01k

I was wondering why Atticus sounded so familiar then I checked the credits. It's Ernie Hudson! Cool!

Also, killer pilot. I'd love to see this picked up as a series. It has an interesting premise.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I know I'm late to the party but :captainpop:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

First the Rocko trailer and now this. Nickelodeon is really gunning for that 90s nostalgia money, aren't they? Still hyped though.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

DuckTales got a theatrical movie. Its lack of success is why the other ones didn't get any.

If I remember correctly Rescue Rangers were slated to debut with a movie but they canned that idea and turned the movie in to a five part origin story for the show.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I enjoyed it when I was younger, but it did bad things to physics.

Wasn't there an episode where they were fighting on top of a fighter jet while it was in mid flight? Like, you know that thing travels at supersonic speeds, right? Doesn't stop them from doing back flips on top it somehow. Reminds me of that episode of Archer when he tries to stand on top of a moving train without eye protection only to find out the hard way that real life doesn't work like movies when he gets blasted in the face.

What I'm trying to say here is that Archer is better grounded in reality than TS.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Uhhhh what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/920437246754545664

I knew there'd be some outings of shitheads in animation after the Weinstein saga but this one I didn't expect

For some reason I'm not surprised. Still, must suck considering his show was really taking off. Doesn't excuse that kind of behavior though.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Honestly, I'd be surprised if he wasn't a menacing pedophile.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Dan Schneider was working for Nick continuously since '94 until now. Savino was a creator for a much more recent show.

If I remember correctly Savino had been working for Nick as far back as the 90s. In fact I believe he was an animator on Ren and Stimpy, oddly enough.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

And don't forget cartoon adaptations of R rated movies.

It still blows my mind that The Toxic Avenger managed to get a kids animated series adaption. Robocop I can understand because it was really popular, but Toxie?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Star looks weird with five fingers, but yeah, that's a pretty righteous thing to do.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Doesn't Nick own the Avatar IP? Why is it on Netflix?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

How common is it for a show to get renewed for a second season before it even debuts (or has it already debuted and I didn't notice it)?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Oh dear.

By the way, I heard somewhere that Forever Twelve has wrapped and that the finished episodes have been handed over to Netflix, but not much more than that. Anyone else been following the making of this show? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about it online apart from the pilot.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Also, on the subject of Netflix and trailers, here's the one for Twelve Forever (which we all somehow missed despite being uploaded over a week ago).

https://youtu.be/27QTnLN3D5g

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Ruflux posted:

That's what tends to happen when shows get quietly dumped with no hype from the crew or anyone so the network/distributor can wash their hands of the whole mess.

When word got out that the season had ended production, I remember hearing rumors swirling around that the studio that made it closed up shop immediately afterwards and almost everyone involved left to go work on other shows. Rumor has it that Julia Vickerman was a massive pain in the rear end to work for, but whenever I start looking in to those rumors I get redirected to something someone posted on 4chan and I don't view the website that gave us QAnon as a reliable source of information so who knows what happened.

Also, according to that trailer, the show drops today so if anyone wants to fill me in on whether or not it's any good, be my guest.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what? What's Autism Speaks? What'd Sesame Street do about it?

I can only tell you what I've been told second hand, but from what I've heard Autism Speaks peddles in the "vaccines cause autism" myth.

Also, it's a shame Twelve Forever never quite got off the ground. I thought it had a chance to become a sleeper hit, but I guess there's only so much you can do when Netflix is deliberately trying to bury you.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

My late grandmother used to have a bunch of VHS tapes of old cartoons that we'd watch when we visited, like TMNT and Beanie and Cecil, but I've just been reminded of the most interesting one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jGba6pZ0tY

Captain Zed and the Zee Zone. The idea is that Zed watches over peoples dreams and when the two villains attempt to corrupt them into nightmares, he shows up to stop them and restore the pleasant part of the dream.

It had some interesting concepts, like a child who felt powerless dreaming of being a Julius Caesar type leader, only for the Nightmares to show up and infiltrate his council, turning them against them acting as his Brutus and Cassius
Apparently about half the episodes only exist with almost inaudible audio. It's pretty close to lost, half the episodes are good enough quality, the linked one is one of the well preserved ones, but most of season 2 has the audio problems. All you can hear is White noise drowning everyone out completely.

Never heard of this show but I love how I can tell it was made in the UK based on the artwork alone. There's something about British cartoons. They have a distinctive visual style that separates them from other Western cartoons. I can't quite describe it, but I know it when I see it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

Haha, wow, I didn't realize my Invader Zim house set was worth that much. This is like when I found out my Evangelion Platinum DVDs were worth a bunch too. Weird the kinda things that end up being rare.

Holy poo poo! I own both the Eva Platinum box and the OG Zim DVDs (albeit without the house). I wasn't aware my old DVDs were worth so much! :staredog:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Which hopefully taught you the lesson to never donate anything that might remotely have actual value to it

Oh God, this has become my mantra. I have so many old DVDs and PS2 games packed away in boxes, eating up space in my home. Every once in a while I get the urge to have a yard sale or something, but then I read a thread like this that makes me want to go back and take an inventory of everything I own.

But then I just give up and go play Yakuza some more.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Hemingway To Go! posted:

it was cancelled a long time ago wasn't it

Considering how it was dumped with next to no promotion I'd say it was dead on arrival. Shame, the show had potential. I was hoping for the sake of all those people who worked on it that they'd be able to move on without her, but macking on kids is one of those things you just can't live down.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Sneak peek at The Owl House (now with voice acting!)

https://youtu.be/JC3TiGmIwdY

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I only saw The Last Airbender once and that was through RiffTrax. Even then it was still insufferable.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also: the more I think about it, the more likely I think this seems. Some higher-up exec not familiar with the episode saw the episode or caught wind of... certain events within, their mind immediately went to the worst possible audience reaction, ignored all possible context (like the show creator being Thai), and ordered the episode delayed indefinitely. Dumb, cowardly, and insulting.

I also agree. I missed the memo about the episode being postponed so when I saw it online this morning I thought nothing of it. It wasn't until I finished watching that I learned what had gone down. I'm sure when True Colors went in to production that cultural attitudes here in America were much different than they are now so no one read in to it. Unfortunately those attitudes have changed since then and not for the better so someone higher up on the totem pole at Disney hit the abort button at the last minute so they could do the animation equivalent of reshoots for the episode. it's the one explanation that make the most sense to me, even though it is kind of a stupid one.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Senerio posted:

True Colors:

I'm glad that they showed the Season 3 opening, to reveal that Marcy is "Alive."

What is that black gunk all over Marcy? Is that supposed to be some kind of wetsuit or a Venom-esque membrane? It's weirding me out.

After watching the season 2 finale I think I finally get what the show is supposed to be about, assuming there's some kind of "big picture" or meaning to the story other than slightly-serialized fun time adventures in Disney cartoon world. The scene where Marcy reveals she intended to strand her friends in Amphibia is when it came to me. Amphibia is a story about friendships, but not in the mundane way in which a lot of family friendly shows are about friendships. Amphibia is a story about why, sometimes, friendships need to end. Anne is stuck in a friendship with two other girls that, for some reason or another, needs to end. Her friendship with Sasha needs to end because it's toxic. She's controlling, manipulative and has proven herself time and again that she's a snake. Anne's friendship with Marcy needs to end because her family is moving away and, while that's sad, it needs to happen so everyone can move on with their lives. She refused to accept this, however, and instead concocted a scheme to send them to some magical alternate reality where she wouldn't have to be forced to leave her friends. In addition to being selfish, it was very dangerous thing to do. She had no idea it would send her friends to whimsical Disney Channel cartoon reality. It could have sent them to straight up Now and Then, Here and There verse where everything is subjugation and war crimes. Something Marcy said during the scene where she came clean about her scheme rang true. She mentioned how much they had all grown since they came to Amphibia, which is true. What she failed to realize is that most of that growth happened while they were apart, which further underscores their need to separate from one another. I'm not entirely sure how the show will end but I'd be surprised if it does so with all three of them still together.

Also, I'm not sure why they had to begin the episode revealing to the audience that Marcy planned everything from the start. It kind of undercut the surprise when she confesses to it later in the show. Then again, this isn't the first time the show subverted its own twist, considering how strongly they were broadcasting King Andrias' betrayal.

Sorry for the long rear end effort post. The episode was much better than I anticipated it to be and I felt compelled to share.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm extremely into pibby should it become a thing but i'm already grimacing knowing the most annoying people in the world are also going to be way into it

I agree. There's something about inter-franchise projects that brings out the worst in some people (see Super Smash Bros., Kingdom Hearts).

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Larryb posted:

Another cartoon question, was Code Lyoko any good? And if so, did it actually get a proper ending or was it just cancelled eventually?

If I remember it did get a proper ending. The show had a fine premise. The problem was that it struggled to break out of its "peril of the week" formula that often ended with the same deus ex machina solution with no real character development or overarching story progression to show for it. I think they tried to color outside the lines a little bit in its final season (I can't remember if it got three or four) but by that time the hype for the show had largely evaporated.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Glad I got seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. Looks like now is a good time as any to cancel my HBO Max subscription. No more Close Enough. No more Infinity Train. GoT ended a long time ago. There's nothing left that interests me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Larryb posted:

I wasn’t even aware there WAS a new Fairly Oddparents

Don't worry, with the way AI technology is heading we will be able to get new everything forever and ever without any need for human input. FOP, SpongeBob, Simpsons, they'll all live forever and we'll never have to worry about running out of content to consume. Even if it does become lost media, the AI will just probably recreate it again later down the line and we'll be none the wiser because we'll all be dealing with that big of a glut of content.