Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Helping my dad look for a second hand V70 to buy. We've found a possible candidate:
2013 V70 II D3 (136hp), 36k miles, the mid range trim level + a lot of extras.

Is there anything I should watch out for with Volvos in this range (age, model, engine)?
Is the D3 136hp enough to haul the 1.8 tonne car + trailer (gotta haul poo poo sometimes) comfortably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

atomicthumbs posted:

114 was enough for a 1.4 tonne 240 comfortably, and they were rated to tow 3300 lbs.

Cool, thanks.
FOund some more comments about it and people seem really happy with the D3 engine. The MPG is pretty great as well.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

2013 D3 is 163 hp, not 136. It is indeed a very good engine.

Hahaha, wtf. 2011-2012, D3 is 163hp, and then 2013 onwards it's 136hp. Really now.

Yup, 2011-2012 D3 is now the D4. I test drove the D3 and was very surprised. 350Nm really is a big step up from the 174Nm I'm used to . It's a nice car, very comfortable, looks good. Especially with the Summum "Saga" rims.

Apparently you can upgrade it to 163hp 400Nm via Polestar upgrade for a mere thousand bucks (yeah...).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Oxphocker posted:

Much interest but has been there since august? That means it's been sitting on the lot over 6 months...

Overall, no major defects that I can think of, but it's still worth taking it to a Volvo mechanic you trust to look it over first. You could probably try to negotiate a lower price if it's been sitting that long but KBB sets a range of $28k-$30k for a model you mentioned with that kind of mileage. If you're set on that model, try for $27k out the door and see what they have to say, if they easily cave, then you know it's been sitting there a while or something's up with it and they want to get rid of it. If they hold firm, then it's possible they might actually have a lot of lookers at it and might be trying to get the most out of it, but since they already have it at the lower range of the KBB estimate, it seems a bit odd.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a dealership checking out and negotioating on a 2013 V70 Momentum D3 for my dad, and the dealer was a drat stonewall. I managed to get some info from his colleague that the car has been there for 6 months, and added that as an argument for why they should sell it. He got a bit rattled and said that it can stay here for another 6 months. Needless to say I declined his over priced car and left. 2 days later we found a 2014 V70 Summum D3, with 25k km less, only been out for a year, got winter tyres and rims that are pretty much brand new, and it wasn't that much more expensive... only catch was that I had to go for a 3h train ride to get there but it was pretty nice.

...and holy hell is it comfortable to drive. I drove it down for 3½ hours straight, and I just got out of the car like it was nothing. I'm amazed at how well the D3 performs as well. It has a nice sound as well. Mileage is great as well.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 13, 2015

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Freshly washed:

....and of course I discover this on rear passanger door. 2cm (0.7 inches) long, ruler straight. There also is a pen diameter size bit of cracked paint roughly 30cm further to the front. No idea if they are related though. Al least there is no dent at all. No note neither.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Oodles posted:

I got the R-Design XC90.

a) it's loving massive.
b) I curbed the alloys already. I only had it 5 hours. It's ok though, it's a 4x4 it's supposed to look lived in. Right. :ohdear:

Just glad it was me not my wife, as she would feel terrible. I'm gutted, but meh, it happens.

drat that sucks. :(

Speaking of curbing wheels, I've avoided some gnarly curbs while at the same time do some perfect parking due to the automtic side mirror angling when I put it (V70) in reverse. It's really an awesome function to have. I mean I can even avoid poo poo lying in the gutter that I didn't see while pulling up to park.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Has anyone gotten a Polestar upgrade or similar performance "mod" from competitors?
A company here called BSR offers +50HP and + 116NM for the D3 engine. Can't say that it isn't tempting.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
V40 rental trip report: Adaptive cruise is amazing, the indicators that show when people are on your side are surprisingly nice and useful. The whole city safety package is very nice to have as a reassurance. It got triggered when I was behind some moron just set off from a red light and decided to do a hard brake for nothing in the middle of the intersection (while going straight). No idea why they did that. The system triggered, but I was already braking for him. Pretty cool though, with the flashing HUD and audio warning.

Anyway, if you are on the fence about the adaptive cruise, just get it. It's amazing to have. It makes rush hour traffic relaxing.

Edit: Forgot to whine about the automatic gearbox. Holy poo poo is it boring to drive. Felt very sluggish compared to our V70 manual with the same engine (D3).

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 1, 2015

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Looks very nice, but I'm not a 100% sure about the back yet. It struck me as very "American" at first.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
We recently had a (probably) 2015 D4 V70 as a rental, when our 2014 D3 was in for service. For some reason it sounded much worse than our D3. Less smooth and less grunty sound. Did they change the engines or something? Or was it just something weird going on in that particular car? I know they are putting in i4's instead of i5's now in other models, but not in the V70, right?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I assume that applies to every Volvo, including new manuals?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

El Scotch posted:

The only things about it on paper that don't meet my "want list" is that it's not a rwd platform, and this particular one doesn't have the navigation option (but really, my phone can do that so w/e).

That said it ticks the V8, comfy, cooled seats and adaptive-cruise boxes that I do want in my daily commuter.

I may go take a look this weekend. A Volvo never occurred to me until recently and I know naught about them, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Vh0eidjUg Jesus loving Christ now I need one.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 24, 2016

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Why did Volvo decide that it was a good idea to not have any proper jacking points at the rear of the V70II? I swapped tires in a hurry using the lovely jack that comes with, and I'm not doing that again. I heard that they make a jack pad adaptor thing, but it's impossible to find.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Larrymer posted:

Never had any problems jacking up mine. :confused:

With the jack that came with the car or with a proper one? I don't want to use the jack that came with the car because it's annoying that there aren't proper official jack points in the owners manual for the back. In reality I'm going to use it for the back anyway.
I don't have the car now neither, so I can't go out and check for structure that isn't covered with plastic. I was hoping that someone had some nice tips that makes it easier, without ruining the underside of the car / the jack point flange thing.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Larrymer posted:

I have only used a floor jack, but there is definitely a rear jack point on the each side.

Apparently the whole side of the car can be lifted from the front jack point. Pretty handy, I guess.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Larrymer posted:

This is true but there's definitely a rear jack point as well. I'd get a picture but it's in the parking lot at work while I'm driving a company vehicle. I usually use the rear point for a stand since the front brings up the rear enough usually. Stiff chassis, I guess.

Volvo forums say that there is one for shop use, but that it's hidden under the plastic panels that cover the whole underside on the back. It's supposed to be in line with the rear jacking lift points. Could probably put it on a beam or something unofficial. Not that I'm probably ever going to do more than change the tyres on it, but it's always good to know.
Given how far forward the jacking point at the front is, I was really impressed with the rear lifting. Like you said, must be a stiff chassis.

Spent 15 hours cleaning the interior and exterior, claying and so on after a winter. loving black cars will be the death of me.

VVV: ... and I just realized that I should have been clearer with the model year. :downs:

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 4, 2016

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
If it's a newer car with those distinct headrests, you can't change them. I read that Volvo don't want people to change their optimal head rest height / design for safety reasons...

VVVV: Cool. Didn't know that it went back that far. Doesn't matter for me anyway since I'm too tall for pretty much every seat to be able to comfortably use the head rests anyway. Flying sucks.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 24, 2016

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Anyone know what those plastic plugs that hold in the plastic inner covers in the wheel well are called? A very annoying rattle has emerged and I think I found the cause - either 3 of those plugs have fallen off, or the mechanics doing the service lost them and didn't bother to put them back in. So I need to get some replacements and put in.
It's for a 2014 V70. I'm not even sure what the proper name for them is in my own language.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Thanks. However after having another look it was an illusion but I managed to solve the rattle by just randomly moving / pulling on the arch liner. No idea what I did, but I'm happy the noise is gone. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Q-sixtysix posted:

Ran into a 2010 s80 today. Took it for a test drive, accelerates, brakes, and handles good. Not a salvage title, no accidents on car report (it's the experian one, not a carfax), dealer is offering 4 months/4500 mile power train warranty.

He's got it priced at $7500. Check engine light was on. Should I investigate further or is this guy trying to pull one over on me?

I wouldn't trust dealer warranty without doing my homework. I got offered that once, looked up the company that the warranty goes through and found that it's a massive pain to get anything from them. So if it's just thrown in, why not. But I wouldn't accept it as a sales argument and pay for it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That is one good looking Volvo. Always liked the shape of the V60's.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
With temperatures going to 30 degrees C (and probably a whole lot higher in the engine compartment), the AC keeps turning off in my dads 2014 V70. Can't say I blame it, but it makes for a hell of a lovely ride in a black car. Might have something to do with 85% humidity taxing it even harder?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of T5 AWD, I've always thought the V50 looked pretty cool in its compact estateness, but never given them any thought. How are they in terms of reliability, comfort and performance?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LloydDobler posted:

Useful info.

Thanks! I did some more reading it all sounded well and good, living in the land of Volvo also would make it easy to get parts and so on, then I read about the head units and the nightmare when it comes to AUX and so on. Shame. :(

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Best thing about the Polestar upgrades is that it doesn't affect the warranty. At least not in Sweden.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Wow. How cold was/is it?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Having a bit of a hard time finding an answer on the internets. Last summer my Dads 2014 V70 had a problem with the A/C cutting out at ~28+ degrees C, and at slower speeds/stop and go. This led me to believe that it could be the A/C clutch being worn. Having read that you could potentially just pull it off, remove some shims and get the proper gap again, made me hopeful of my dad not having to spend $$$$$ getting it fixed in case we have another hot summer.
I had a quick look in the engine compartment and didn't really recognize the setup I've seen on the slightly older Volvos in the guides. Could it be that they've changed to some different clutch setup in later years, one that isn't as servicable?

I know you don't get the V70 in the US, but I'd wager that the XC70 is probably using the exact same system, maybe?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Have you actually diagnosed the whole system? Compressor clutches don't usually wear in the typical sense - if it was engaging but not enough you'd have a fuckload of noise and an insanely hot compressor clutch.

You need to do some deeper troubleshooting, because in order of most likely to least likely:
*The system is commanding the compressor to shut off because it (correctly or incorrectly) thinks something is wrong
*The system isn't actually disengaging the compressor at all and something is wrong that is restricting refrigerant flow to the evaporator
*There is a problem with the clutch coil and it is intermittently going open-circuit, causing the compressor to shut off
*There is a wiring problem preventing the clutch coil from getting enough energy to hold the clutch closed
*Everything else is perfectly fine and somehow a five year old Volvo has managed to wear the compressor clutch plate enough that in some conditions it can engage and some it cannot

Out of all the A/C systems I've hosed with over the years, the last scenario is the only one I've never encountered on anything. It can theoretically happen, but usually on really old, high mileage type poo poo.

Thanks guys. No, I haven't unfortunately. Hard to DIY that here (handling R134 is illegal without certification) so I think I'm going to tell him to have the mechanics look at it when he brings it in for a service. The whole A/C system works flawlessly right now, and has been since last summer. No odd noises etc. It is always turned on as well.
Whatever the problem is, it should be connected to high engine bay temperatures as a result of high outside temperatures as that the only time it's ever stopped working. We had an unusually hot summer last year, with temperatures going above 30 degrees.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

IOwnCalculus posted:

It being temperature dependent makes me think it's pressure related somehow.

I wonder if that Volvo is new / complicated enough that it would actually directly monitor and report system pressures with the computer.

In theory you could do any work without handling the refrigerant yourself by diagnosing it, having a shop evacuate it if needed, fixing the core issue, and then having a shop vacuum / charge it again.

I don't think I'll be working on it myself (got too much on my plate) unless it's something quick. Apparently it stopped working today at 28 degrees again after sitting in the sun for a few hours. I was going to use it to go pick up my brother in Berlin, and now I see that they are going to have 38 degree temp those days.

Oh joy.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

That reminds me, I need to convince my dad to polestar his V70 D3 from 136hp 450Nm to an astonishing 163hp 400Nm :getin:.

lol

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My dad has a 2014 V70 with the M66 gearbox. I asked him to enquire about having the gearbox oil replaced as he's planning to keep the car for a long time. The tech told him that it'll be expensive as it requires 7 litres of oil @ ~$30 a liter. Total work ~$400. I got hold of the VIDA and it says 1.9 liters and it seems super simple to do when looking at the workshop manual. Am I missing something?

Edit: I'm considering getting an iCarsoft VOL 2.0 for it as well to do rear pads and to have for the future. Anyone got any experience with it?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LloydDobler posted:

I forget, where do you live that you get stick in a recent V70? My guess is that m66s are rare and he just quoted you the auto fluid. Stick shifts definitely only take a couple liters because they just splash lube everything.

Sweden. I'd expect that ~50% of MY2010-2018 Volvos are manuals. Manuals are common enough that there is no excuse for not knowing. This is the same tech that claimed that my dad needed new wipers (replaced <2 months ago before road trip with Bosch ones that have been great), so my confidence in this guy isn't very high. At first I was like "ok benefit of doubt, they do some flush", but after reading the VIDA for manual transmission replacement there is no mention of flushing. Just straight up drain and refill. Now I'm suspecting that he tried pull a fast one on my dad. I can't really see why it would need 7 liters. Also tried to sell a$55 engine wash.

Edit: Seems like iCarsoft VOL 2.0 will cover most if not all that's needed. Not too expensive as well. ~$130 delivered. Don't want to mess with old laptops/virtual machines etc for VIDA unless it's really worth it.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 22, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I never updated on the M66 oil change and brake pad swaps. Was super easy and the gear oil was pretty dark, so hopefully I have helped prolong the life of the gearbox. The brake pads felt great as well.

Something odd has recently popped up (2014 V70 D3). A intermittent check engine light that doesn't produce any codes using the iCarsoft code reader I bought. It comes and goes, mainly at start up. Haven't really heard anything odd from the engine. It's a "Have engine serviced" warrning. The car was serviced by the dealer only a ~month and the warning has been coming on for 2+ weeks. Some internet reading led me to believe that it might be that they have overfilled the oil slightly. Haven't had a chance to check the oil level though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Regarding the tune: It should be perfectly fine as you can Polestar tune it without voiding your warranty on a brand new Volvo. I'd check the boot space in the V60 properly though as I've heard many complaints of it not being big enough for what the car is.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Finally managed to catch the intermittent error codes on my Dads 2014 V70 D3:
P0299 - Turbocharger Underboost
P0235 - Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance.
P0049 - Turbocharger Turbine Overspeed.

No real change in how the engine performs, except that it sometimes sounds "louder", especially when passing at highway speeds.

I'm thinking that I have to do a thorough check of all the vacuum hoses going to and from the turbo/intercooler parts. It's probably a coincidence, but this started just a short time after the car was serviced. I'm wondering if they didn't tighten some hose they disconnected or accidentally snagged something that then has ripped. I've driven the car today at city/slower highway speeds and I don't feel any loss of power or rough running, so maybe the leak is small and only presents itself when the turbo is under heavier load?

Or am I way off base?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LloydDobler posted:

No, sounds exactly the right path. Also look for disconnected wire connectors, like to the sensor in the code, or turbo control valve if they still use that.

Thanks! Will be interesting to see if I find anything wrong. Hopefully it's a cheap and simple fix. The warning message is only intermittent as well, and no check engine light that stays on which in my mind supports the "minor" leak theory. Googled some more on Volvo forums and apparently it isn't uncommon with broken/loose pipes.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Regarding the parking brake, to be honest I just went with a $100 iCarsoft diagnostic computer thing for it. Much easier and and be used for a ton of other useful stuff. I mean for what the dealer wanted to change just the rear pads, I bought that, premium brake pads, Volvo brake pad lube, gearbox oil and a fluid pump thing for getting the oil into the gearbox.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Heh I don't think Aardark is coming back. Banned by Lowtax lol.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The V50 is a really cool wagon. Apart from the above mentioned problems, one thing that totally stopped me in my tracks buy one if that it's pretty much impossible (or impossibly expensive) to get modern connectivity into them. So if you care about bluetooth etc, make sure it has all connectivity you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm pretty sure one (or more) injectors are shot on my Dads 2014 D3 V70 (5-cyl diesel). Superclattery under load esp. at the lower RPM. Slowing down by engine breaking does not make a sound. What's the best way of DIY confirming this theory and/or work out which injector that is bad (my god they are expensive...). At least my Icarsoft code reader can recode the new one after I replace them.

It's almost embarassing how loud it is at times when it's at its worst.