Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Withnail posted:

Do states even test for NOx? Someone was telling me the colorado emissions test simply looks at how many particles are coming out of the vehicle by looking at how much light is blocked.

I am pretty sure it varies by municipality in Colorado. In Jefferson county and Denver county you get a full emissions report so I don't think this is accurate in those places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
This feels almost like a dumb question but I’ve done a lot of reading and still haven’t come to a conclusion. Is the repair/ownership cost of a mildly used S4 similar to the higher end Audi models? I am waffling between trying to find a ~30k mile certified pre owned or leasing a 2019. I drive less than 10k miles a year so leasing feels like a viable option and the payment I am being offered at the dealership is much lower than I expected (720/month with 700 down). Part of me feels like these cars get driven hard so I’d love to get a new one for relative peace of mind but at the same time how hard can 30k miles be on a car? Also, are there any specific gotchas for recent s4 models? I know about stuff on the older V8s such as the $$$ timing chain maintenance but it’s harder to find data on newer models. I would be total open to buying a lightly used one if I was relatively sure I would not have to dump used A8 amounts of money into it.

Edit: I’ve looked into all the tech and right now I drive a 1999 Jeep Cherokee so any Audi is going to feel like I just went to the future. On the other hand, I kinda want all the tech I can get so I can bask in excessive luxury.

rally fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 19, 2019

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

howdoesishotweb posted:

Oops you’re right I was comparing it to the non-AMG e450 wagon not the AMG sedan.

Which makes the RS6 Avant price premium even more ridiculous.

I can’t read.

rally fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 5, 2019

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Did a thing yesterday

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I got Michelin Alpin PA4s on the new S4 and drove it out to ski today and omg I love this car.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Deviant posted:

Ugh, between not being able to go much of anywhere and pollen season my lovely white Mk7 is a horrifying shade of yellow and dirt. :(

On this note, I’ve washed my brand new s4 in a touch less car wash four times since I got it ( I’m one of the assholes on the road right now but I can’t help it) and I think I’m already seeing some paint swirls. I’m Thinking since I have nothing but time I might buy a detailing kit and and get it looking nice then do a spray ceramic coating. Has anyone here dealt with the at home spray coating kits and have an opinion on whether it’s worth it? I’m also wondering how much upkeep the nappa leather seats need - is a wipe down with a standard leather conditioner every now and then even necessary? I’m being outrageously OCD about keeping this car nice.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Audi pre sense has, multiple times now for no apparent reason, slammed on the brakes while I was reversing out of a parking spot. Both times were oh poo poo moments where I thought I somehow slammed into an unseen obstacle in a totally clear lot. I’m not super in love with it.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Uncle Lizard posted:

A Honda would be stolen and parted out so fast in my neighborhood, plus I just don't like Hondas, and they are stupid expensive.

Dumbest post / reasoning for buying a VW ever. BUY THAT AUDI NOW

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

TheBacon posted:

My first car was an 07 GTI with the same engine that I put about 100k miles on myself taking it pretty decently past the 100k mark, 140 or so, before I totaled it. Timing belt was expensive because VW but not really so bad, $1500 in the Bay Area roughly a decade ago. The only thing that was ever unexpected was my CV boots tore otherwise normal maintenance that frankly wasn’t bad at all.

That engine does have a cam follower issue where they can wear through and grenade the engine though. From what I remember this is only really a problem if the engine is tuned and pushing more boost.

Personally I think you could do a lot worse if you are a VAG guy. Hell I’d consider it too if I got good juju from talking to the owner!

Cam follower issue affects bone stock cars into the 8.5s whether they admit it or not ask how I know.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Gotta be totaled right? 2019 s4 premium plus

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
My 2019 S4 wreck that I posted a couple weeks ago is now officially a total loss. Turns out market value for the car before the wreck was significantly more than I paid for it, and a similar replacement with many more miles would be about what I paid brand new. lovely.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

metaxus posted:

I was paranoid my first foray into VAG ownership in two decades would end in strange and expensive forms of mechanical failure.

I was wrong… Stationary, waiting to make a right turn, and I got rear ended by a car doing 60km/h that didn’t even attempt to stop.

Is he insured? Of course not.

I got an overnight hospital stay (whiplash, spinal swelling, torn muscles) and I’m just waiting to hear that my Superb is totaled, which sucks.

I’d had it for 6 weeks and I really loving loved this quirky Czech bastard.

Condolences. My S4 met the exact same fate awhile back and was so totaled.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Head Bee Guy posted:

FWIW, my mom had an 04 A6, and it was wonderful to drive but a maintence nightmare. We got it for $20k a long time ago when it only had about 30k miles on it, but over its 200k mile life time, we easily put $25k in repairs into it.

I’m racking my brain trying to remember details of what was wrong, besides it’s half-quart of oil a week habit.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Yeah + / - 100,000

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

New to me 2011 A4 Avant, 124k miles. After wrecking my S4 awhile back I’ve been eyeballing these. This one is original owner, serviced it’s entire life at the dealership at every interval. Had the pistons done at 73k miles and the timing chain, tensioner, etc done at 95k miles. Otherwise random documented services for typical Audi poo poo.

I got PPI at an Audi dealership and all they really turned up was what was obvious from the service history (needs brake flush and an oil change basically) but I found a couple things during my own inspection that the dealership missed:

First, the passenger rear door lock actuator seems to be problematic. If I lock the car then unlock it, the door won’t open from the outside. If I open the door from the inside, then close it, it will then continue opening from the outside no problem. Sometimes it just unlocks and works, too. The lady selling me the car was adamant that she had never seen that happen before and I probably believe her. Either way I have to remedy it since I have a baby on the way in a few months and will be putting the car seat in that position I bet. I am torn between throwing in a $50 actuator and definitely swapping it every year or two, or getting OEM part for $350+ and … probably swapping it in a year or two?

Second: The HVAC blower motor/fan is a bit noisy at higher settings. There is droning or vibrating noise from the fan. I’m familiar with the noise as a bad blower motor/fan and it looks like an easy swap behind the glovebox so I already have the new blower on the way.

I’m pretty excited to own this car and it has already captured me with a type of charm that the B9.5 S4 just didn’t have. I’ve got an appointment after Labor Day with a recommended local Audi shop so hopefully this thing can be free of its dealership service life.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Inner Light posted:

BTW, I expensively had the blower motor replaced due to buzzing noise also. I live with a buzzing / vibrating at very high fan speeds that probably was not there from factory, but I’m not gonna replace the motor again.

Thanks! I just finished getting the blower swapped out. I went with Behr 351040251 which is the middle price option between Chinese and Audi dealer parts. It took about 45 minutes, most of which was me walking back and forth to my porch to smoke a bowl between getting the glovebox off and replacing the fan. The old fan was a little dirty but didn’t seem broken or anything. It spins ok and doesn’t make noise at a slow spin. The new fan has no weird sounds and isn’t any louder than I remember the old fan being so I think it’s my first win over this car.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I think the CO chain law is kinda stupid and lets you get away with any tires if you have awd, but requires good tires if you have 2wd. I haven’t owned a fwd in a long time but awd on real snow tires feels like cheat codes.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Audi rakes you over the coals for genuine parts but if you go with “OEM” and do the work yourself it almost isn’t insane to own a B8 A4. It has only cost me about a Honda accord in yearly payments to maintain myself. If I was getting everything done in a shop with Audi parts I might as well be driving a brand new A6, cost per year speaking.

Did in tank fuel pump, pcv, coil packs, engine mounts, water pump / tstat, blow motor, vacuum pump, one upper control arm, rear door lock actuators in 4 months….typing that out didn’t feel good.

rally fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
If it is the blower motor vibration noise it isn’t a bad fix.