Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm debating picking up The Man with No Name Trilogy, but I wanted to know if the movies have better transfers in a single pack over the box set. The reviews for this make it sound like the Good, Bad, Ugly transfer isn't the greatest, but is there a better one even out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Isn't that the old one? Whereas this is the new/better one.

Not sure, amazon has two options the one I linked and one "without enhanced packaging" that has the same cover as the one you linked.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for the help everyone!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
In the TVThread theres a great photo of distance from the television and how observable the differences between 720p, 1080p, and 4k are that I found pretty helpful in realizing how much gimmick there is to the 4k home theater experience!

I have a massive TV (72in) and can barely notice the difference between the formats sometimes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Picked this up, thanks for posting it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It took my an hour of arguing with myself, but I did it. I bought the Xfiles box set.

I might have to unbookmark this thread.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

2 week wait list for the xfiles set :(

I went full on wait and did the slow shipping option for a dollar in amazon prime digital credit. (it was like 2 days difference because of the sell out)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So are they going to re-release season 2 and fix that abomination of restoration?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Timby posted:

Highly unlikely. The TNG Blu-rays didn't sell anywhere nearly as well as projected and hoped given the immense cost involved, and as a result CBS ended any further exploration of HD restorations of DS9 and Voyager.

Ouch.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-horror/the-return-of-the-living-dead-collector-s-edition

Yes!!!! It's a new scan of Return of the Living Dead, plus a few new features. I think I'm going to have to double dip in this one. Plus, I'm not OCD or anything, but the current blu Ray that I have is in a DVD sized case,and I hate how it sticks out.

Dope.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Scream Factory is great but man I dunno about those prices. For $13/each IMHO they should be double features with a couple films included.

A non-horror fan spotted.

The picture quality alone is worth the price of most of those.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I bought this on your recommendation and it was a dope buy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

For the most part I try to only spend $10 or less on blu rays, and I still amassed a pretty big collection in about two years. Nobody really cares about blu rays anymore, so once a movie is over a year old you can typically get it dirt cheap.

Criterions ruined that plan for me on day 1 of buying blu rays. Then I was doing pretty good at it for a stretch, but Bride of ReAnimator came out and welp. My fiancee keeps telling me I'm not allowed to buy BluRays anymore :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

If I had a fiancé I'm sure that conversation would have happened by now, yea. Criterions and Shout Factory Collectors Editions are my only two exceptions, and I limit those to very specific times of the year. I wait for the Criterion 50% off sales, and I only buy Shout Factory in October. Even so they add up, 50% off Criterion is still $20 or more.

Oh definitely. Only buy Criterions on the sale. Shout Factory I'll splurge on without a sale if I'm really filling the itch for something, but I try my best lol.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Red posted:

Hot take: The Hobbit films, though thin, are more fun than the LotR trilogy. I have zero interest in watching LotR again, whereas I'd put Hobbit on if it came on HBO or something.

Agreed. Though I find them all to be mediocre.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is the Black and White cut of Fury Road also silent?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I asked about the silent cut because I figured if they recut it for silence they might include parts of the scores. A recreation of the live band experience or something.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Any recommendations on which player to buy, and where to buy it?

I was recommended this one the other day

I plan to buy a refurb'd one for $109-119.

I'd love more recommendations as well though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Your recommendation led me to this player which, as it turns out, I actually own. Just not the region free version. That leads me to the obvious question, what is done to these players to make them region free? I know there are both hardware and software changes that can be made, but which is it in this case? Obviously if it's hardware then I would to buy a new player, but if it's software, is there a mod I can perform to my existing player to make it region free?

Hmm I googled this quickly because your post made me curious. I found this from 2015, so might not still work:
https://scottiestech.info/2015/02/22/make-your-dvd-or-blu-ray-player-region-free/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

So back to my original question for a sec, can you guys name some of the must-have non-region A Blu-Ray discs?

BFI is putting out a dope Napoleon remaster soonish. I also think a lot of the Arrow blu ray releases (distribution house not the tv show) are Euro region.

The trailer for the BFI Napoleon is what made me decide to start looking to region free players.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Arrow just announced a US release of their previously-region-B-locked-only Hellraiser 1-3 set. Like the UK one, this is limited and will probably sell out super quick, so you might want to jump on an Amazon preorder if you're interested. The price is high now, but Arrow US releases always seem to start that way on Amazon and then drop to a much more attractive price by release day. - http://amzn.to/2dYq62T

The one you linked says it's a DVD box set. Hmmm

I want this really badly but man is it pricey.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Please keep posting them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks Charlie I picked up The Undertaker thanks to your post.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I bought a region free player just for Napoleon but the BFI website won't accept my card :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Which player did you end up getting? I went with the Sony S5500. Refurbished for $109 shipped.

Haha I did the same thing! I actually sent in all my PS3 stuff to pay for the player.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

So my copy of Napoleon arrived from Amazon UK pretty damaged, just like I expected. I contacted Ben Stoddart at BFI and he sent me a free replacement slipcase and digipack, which arrived yesterday in perfect shape. Now THAT'S excellent customer service!

Oh drat mine showed up banged up too. Is the contact info on BFI's page?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

So I recieved a region free blu ray player for Christmas. Can anyone here recommend some must-have imports?

BFI Napoleon release. Someone posted a bunch more in this thread I think.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Some pretty cool news from Vinegar Syndrome. I'm really glad to hear they've been so successful. They do good work and are a tiny team (I think it's like 4 guys)

The undertaker blu I got is fantastic in quality, and I plan to buy more of their releases during their sale. They deserve so much praise for being that small of a group and doing so much so well.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zenintrude posted:

From your Steelbooks? It's the only thing (aside from literally loading up the disc) that tells you what's on the disc re: special features and whatnot. Gotta fold those things and keep them inside the case.

Some steelbooks put that info on the inside of the case. Pretty sure all 3 of the ones I picked up from Arrow in the recent sale have it that way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

And its a steelbook? man o man, I want that although the cover art isn't my favorite. Will have to read what the transfer is like.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Wow, I expected it to look decent, but that honestly looks like a full 2K or 4K remaster.

Yeah no joke that looks amazing. Wish the pre-order page told me if it was a new transfer or that previous one. Might just preorder it anyway.....

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Jesus, I can't believe you guys are making me consider buying Super Mario Bros.

Ain't no shame in the bluray game. :c00lbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hell yeah.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

If wonder if this will bring us any closer to having a Duck, You Sucker! blu-ray.

Do you mean a special edition restored version or just a blu ray version in general?
https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Sucker-Fistful-Dynamite-Blu-ray/dp/B00MA151W4/ref=tmm_mfc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Also government funding.

This. In an ideal world our gov't would help in funding my restored versions of Microwave Massacre

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/buster-keaton-the-short-films-collection-1920-1923_3

Buster Keaton Short Film Collection for 7.95.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The old Batman series also looks incredible.

I was blown away the first time I started one of the hd episodes. It looks so loving good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My blu-rays are divided by ones I've seen and ones I haven't.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I blind buy a lot these days compared to my younger shopping self. Criterion and Arrow have made blind buying a wonderful experience. Even if that means getting jaw dropped by stuff like Nekromantik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Those god drat spine numbers are the most brilliant thing Criterion could have ever done.

It irritates me to no end that there's numbers I will most likely never get.

• Locked thread