Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

What's Amazon's turnaround time like on out-of-stock items? I want to get Grindhouse while it's still cheap.

Every time I've ordered something out-of-stock, I've generally gotten it a week or so earlier than they estimated. It's a little longer, but if you have Prime, it's not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought Avatar was a pretty generic film that was needlessly long and the DC only exacerbated that but I absolutely do not regret the purchase of the Extended Edition for the Capturing Avatar documentary alone. It's about 100 mins long and 100x more interesting than the movie IMO.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Darkman could look a whole lot better, but for something you can get a BR/DVD combo of for like $8 at Wal-Mart, it's worth grabbing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

kaujot posted:

Except the cover. :barf:

I've seen a photo of a different cover that matches the other 100th anniversary slips and it looks considerably better.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

gently caress them for that. Seriously, they could have at least kept some of them region free.

Seriously jealous of the Criterion series, if you hadn't noticed.

About a year ago I heard Friedkin was working on the Bluray for Sorcerer but I haven't heard anything since... Anybody know if it's just a pipe-dream at this point?

I don't know if it's true or not, but it doesn't matter because if Friedkin is hands on, the transfer will suck poo poo because he is retarded.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sporadic posted:

The Conversation dropped to $11.49 on Amazon. Amazing movie and the Blu-Ray does it justice.

It's $7.99 at Best Buy right now.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If any of you have blockbusters near you, I encourage you to see if they're closing, because mine was and I got Animal Kingdom, Micmacs, The White Ribbon, The Illusionist (animated), A Single Man, An Education, Winter's Bone and The Kids Are All Right for $4 each this morning.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CPL593H posted:

What do the Disney points do? I rarely buy anything from Disney, but I got the Muppets yesterday and I noticed it had a flyer with that.

I joined the movie club thing and after the 7 I got for joining and a couple bonus codes I got Remember the Titans for free.

Their club owns. I joined, got every Pixar movie that's out on Blu with my 7 for joining and my two to fulfill the commitment and it cost me like $90.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Are there any plans to release the first Jurassic Park as a stand alone blu-ray? I prefer not to own the sequels.

Wait until the trilogy is cheap and buy it anyway. I don't like the sequels much either, but the special features are great. For $25-ish, it's absolutely worth it even if you only want the first movie.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I bet you'll be able to get it for $120 or so between Black Friday and Christmas

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have about 600 blus in my collection and more than half were $5 or less through pawn shops, Hollywood Video chain closing, Blockbuster stores closing and the Blockbuster 5-for-20 sale

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I now picture some burglar opening this up expecting some fancy jewelry, only to discover nothing but Harry Potter blu rays.

Also holy poo poo, 31 discs. That's almost 4 per movie, what the hell?

Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy for each movie is 24 right there

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have the new version btw and it's excellent.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know why this is? Sometimes shipping to the US from Amazon UK is actually cheaper than Amazon US.

I have no idea what the cause is for Amazon, but my work has to ship stuff to Canada a lot and their postal service is a pain in our rear end.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's also $19.99 at Best Buy for those of you who want it in your hands tomorrow.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

QVT posted:

Are there other (non-criterion) blu-rays like this? Where they have just an absolute wealth of special features and a great transfer? That Taxi Driver disc has so much stuff that it's worth owning even if you don't love the film.

The three-disc Avatar set is like this. I think that movie is a piece of poo poo but it looks unbelievable and the extras are incredible.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

henpod posted:

The Dark Knight Trilogy looks pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Knight-Trilogy-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B008JARIIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349437400&sr=8-1.

I have seen some talk about another 'ultimate boxset' coming out early next year. Does anyone know about this?

I don't think there are any details yet. The only thing regarding it was a line in the promotional flier that said a trilogy collector's edition would be released in 2013.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There's a 3.5 hour making of Prometheus if you don't like the movie but you're into that kind of poo poo. It's with the 4 disc 3D version.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The one you want, if you have access to it obviously, is the 4-Disc one (3D Blu, 2D Blu, DVD, Bonus Disc Blu

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I got the Bootleg Cut of Almost Famous from that Wal-Mart bin, as well as Cocktail and Color of Money.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Oh gently caress yes I am all over this. Thank you

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think deals for Chuck Lorre shows are independent of CBS' deal for streaming, on demand, etc. I thought his shows went through Warner Bros.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

As long as the case is capable of safely protecting the disc, I couldn't give a poo poo what it looks like.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nothing will top that one photo from blu-ray.com's forums where that dude had a whole section of his shelf partitioned for Jena Malone movies.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't understand who that appeals to other than sperglord collectors. I mean, surely there are probably a few normal people who would be interested, but the majority of your hardcore audience who would appreciate a diverse slate of films like that probably already owns half or more of them.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 24, 2013

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

IIRC, the Universal set had a lot more movies that were really recent first-time blu-ray releases, so I can understand how there might be a fair number of people interested in picking it up.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

bowmore posted:

drat that looks so good. Shame Disney Blu's are so expensive.

I know some people are opposed to these things on principle, but if you save up a nice wad of cash and then join that Disney Movie Club thing for about 2 months, you can rake in a poo poo load of great films for ridiculously low cost. I joined initially and stuck around for a few months and cleaned house, then did it again about two years later and saved so much on all of them. As long as you decline that monthly offer bullshit you're fine. And sometimes when the monthly offer is even a decent deal when they combo it with 2 or 3 other titles.

e: and right around now is a good time to do it.

read more here if you're interested: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=221740

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 31, 2013

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Red posted:

Is that it? They had a great selection last year. I scored Goldfinger, Alien, and a few other titles for $3 last year.

They had the typical solid movie deals but nothing beyond that. I got a lot o recent releases for $6 or $10.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Red posted:

Huh. I did end up stopping at Target, and they had a few $4 deals, but nothing really noteworthy. Most were $6-10 as well.

I ended up with 3 flicks for $3.99 from Amazon - Drive, Die Hard, and Sin City.

My girlfriend and I got The Heat, Monster's University and Oblivion for $10 and Warm Bodies, Argo, Ted, Taken 2, Les Mis and The Campaign for $7.

A good portion of Wal-Mart's $10 deals (Star Trek, Pacific Rim, 42, Gatsby, Hangover III, World War Z, Zero Dark Thirty, Pain & Gain) were $7.99 on Amazon so I just ordered them there on Thursday morning.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

It's probably more that they're facing lower margins and can't use the Blu-rays as loss leaders.

Partially this, but the $1.96 DVD selection seemed larger this year, so I wonder if they didn't realize that was the draw for the majority of the media buyers and slightly raised blu-ray prices to subsidize that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

morestuff posted:

I want to get a cheap Blu of Die Hard, but the only one listed on Amazon looks like it was produced in 1997. Is this just a weird product image, or are there multiple releases out there?

The box set of the first 4 was only like $16 at Best Buy last week if that interests you. Not sure if it's still on sale though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

And with no fanfare, out of loving nowhere comes the release of Kindergarten Cop. Finally!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVLGL2A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1XWL3C8FJ49UK&coliid=I3OFZ7H66MSWJE

The irritating part is I've had it in my wish list forever, and when it came out it's a totally different listing so my wish list didn't update. Now I have to go check all those other movies I've been waiting for.

Kindergarten Cop is a masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there any reason to get "Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection" over "Stanley Kubrick: Visionary Filmmaker Collection"?

From what I can tell, the Masterpiece collection includes Dr. Strangelove (which I already have on Blu), and a bunch more extras (which I don't really care about). Plus the Masterpiece collection is about $140 more expensive. :psyduck:

Are the transfers for both collections the same? The only hesitation I have about getting the Visionary Collection is that it has the shorter international cut of The Shining, which is something I only found out existed 5 minutes ago. I've seen the longer cut of the Shining before, but I don't remember it well enough that I'm likely to notice the cuts. Plus, the internet tells me that Kubrick preferred the shorter cut anyway - is there any truth to that? Is the UK cut generally considered better?

It sounds like it's pointless for you to buy if you don't care about the extras.

• Locked thread