Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

billion dollar bitch posted:

Also the waitlist for like... every single class here is a mile long. The only class without people on the waitlist is like.. admiralty law (with 67 open slots).

This shouldn't be a problem, so long as you abused the lottery system like everyone else. If you aren't currently registered for 25 hours and aren't on 30 waitlists you aren't doing it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

That's the lovely thing about this: there isn't a curve for clinics, and usually everyone gets a/a-/b+. I've never heard of anyone getting a b- in a clinic class...

Eh, I thought clinics were graded on the seminar curve, i.e., the super easy one thats based on an A- average.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Subsconscious is better anyways. I got tired of Hamilton pretty quickly.

And the gym isnt that bad, just a little old.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Holland Oats posted:

CLS people: How bad is an A- and two Bs for fall semester of 1L?

Not bad. Not good. Average

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

I seriously do not want to work those hours. Beefeater (lol you are named after alcohol), how much of this is your life?

Work for a state. I enjoy my job and have awesome hours... and you can, too. (Of course there is a downside - thanks IBR!)

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

JudicialRestraints posted:

I know absolutely nothing about copyright but I do know that we have a first amendment right to talk about public figures and it trumps everything. So I'm still right.

The copyright statute contains first amendment considerations including fair use, limited duration, etc.

Glad I took these classes that allow me to comment on news stories more effectively.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Why the gently caress did you have to post this? I'm paranoid as poo poo now.

Call them. I got a bit worried after I hadn't heard back from the board after a while, but I figured it was just because I was sending my stuff in from NYC. They are just slow at responding to stuff they receive. Except for the check - that was cashed almost instantly.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Seluin posted:

Questionable! But he has a few jobs lined up, so we'll see.

I wouldn't say its exactly normal to have "a few jobs lined up" this late in the hiring process... do those jobs involve law? Or by "lined up" do you mean "to apply to?"

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Has he tried applying to volunteer with the AG yet? We take bunches of interns / volunteers, especially during the summer.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

MaximumBob posted:

This is the wonder of being a government attorney. I've got a job working as a lawyer AND I don't normally work weekends! Huzzah!

Quoting this because its true.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

If you're getting 171ish on your practice you're unlikely to get a 170 on test day. You tend to do worse on test day.

Hey dont worry, he is a special snowflake with undisclosed "reasons" for leaving a paying job to take on unimaginable debt. These things always work out.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

PS. This thread was the biggest reason I avoided taking the law career path for the last 4 years, but I've tried everything else and either don't like it or am not good at it.

This is the best reason for spending $100k on law school, being all like "meh, i dunno what else"

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Deception posted:

Shes is going to be enrolled at Chapel hill for law school because she did her undergraduate there. She may get a full ride but based on our state right now that may be a distant possibility. Her grades are close to a 4.0 right now and shes a double major, I have faith she can pull it off, but when I read this thread I certainly have my doubts.

She is a moron and you are the inferior Deception.

(Seriously, limiting herself to a "low" law school like that, before the LSAT, is a bad idea)

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

cendien posted:

Out of curiosity, is this because the legal market in Austin is next to nonexistent? Or hiring, at least.

Also the AG has been essentially on hiring freeze for a couple years, though rumor has it that might change with the end of this leg session.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can you get that under IBR at all? I think I got my sallie mae loan consolidated with my other federal loans and now I pay literally $0 a month on that $100k loan because the government hasn't figured out I have a job yet and they haven't asked about it. I used the calculator on their website and with my $41k/year job I'll be paying a little over $300/month when it comes due I believe.

Don't you have a duty to supplement when your income changes?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

molomoloch posted:

My One-L year starts next week at Southwestern! All I can hear is the cha-ching of the cash register. Half scholarship yo

You got in to Michigan, Georgetown, Texas ... and chose Southwestern? Really?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

no noone fails, unless you're in Strauss

If there's one thing I remember...cite the statute!! [no one really fails]

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

fffuuuuuuuuuuuuu i completely forgot about my pro bono requirement. any columbia law goons have a suggestion on the most painless way to get this done?

LawHelpNY. Be sure to go to the info session because it filled up quickly my year. Provides more than enough hours and work from home.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

This is a very good idea and I appreciate it. I think your year is my year. I'm a 3L who is just really lazy about anything not directly related to getting a job

Where can I go for more info? I've never gotten an email from the law school about any info session or anything. If you could just point me in the right direction that would be great.

Just looked and our info session was in january. If nothing else, the guys name was Nate, so you could try to find him on the lawhelp site.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Green Crayons posted:

Medicaid Fraud Units at both the State and Federal level are pretty big. I know that the Medicaid Fraud Unit at the Virginia AG pretty much pays for itself, which has been a major reason as to why it's one of the few offices that have been expanding these past few years. And this isn't recipient fraud (a different state agency takes care of that, at least in VA) but health provider/drug company/etc. fraud.

So, there you go. Not saving lives, but still close enough to doing "good," as I imagine whoever this person is conceives Health Law to be.

We won $170M earlier this year and are getting ready to begin a trial where potential liability exceeds $1B. Still not hiring.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

I have never met more suicidal lawyers than med-mal plaintiffs attorneys in the south.

Is there even money for that in Texas? Thought that was capped pretty hard.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

entris posted:

I have an old-as-dirt client whose emails are always in Comic Sans, font size 12, bright blue color. When I hit reply, my text takes on the same attributes and I have to manually switch it.

I may have accidentally sent a reply without changing the font, which means I sent an email as a lawyer using Comic Sans.

:smith:

Yo add me on LoL, WardAgainstNewbs, i'll make you pro.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

entris posted:

Hahaha I don't cross-polinate my goon communications. Either we're lawgoon buddies or goonlol buddies, but never both. You're already firmly in the lawgoon camp.

Also, I'm apparently terrible at LoL because my ELO is roughly 1000. You don't want to play with me.

Ah well thats too bad. Guess the GoonLawl team can be put on hold.

Ps use your tons of LawyerCash to get Gragas, esq and/or Gentleman Cho.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

1.) in the interests of DEPRESSION what kind of student loan situations do we have in this thread? i owe 160K after law school and undergrad and I went a public undergrad and got a partial scholarship to law school. played out my repayment scenarios last night and i will owe 2K a month for 10 years, welp

Owe around 150k. Pay around 275 a month thanks to IBR. Loan is gone in 10 9 yrs due to state gov job.

TheBestDeception fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 12, 2012

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Fyi, there are several recent entry-level postings for Texas AAG positions at the Austin office (non-child support). You, too, can be lucky enough to make a starting $46k! Ps the hours / quality of life are unmatched and you get to do cool stuff too. For instance, we recently wrapped up a 6+ yr lawsuit against a pharma giant (mythical benevolent healthcare law), which ended in a very large settlement.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

I have applied for various positions at the AG's office through workintexas.com and I've never gotten a response. Any tips on getting an interview?

Hmm, how long have you been out of law school?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

A little over a year. We moved back to Austin and my wife got a job before we even came back (I went to UHLC), and I've been doing doc review work and odd jobs.

If you can afford it, try looking in to the law clerk / volunteer atty program. It would obviously be unpaid, but i think they'll let you come in part time. That would be my recommendation for improving your interview chances. Btw, use the OAG site for clerking/volunteering, not work in texas.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Because, as sick as it sounds, I actually enjoy it. Yeah, I'm young, and I'm sure I'll end up broken, poor, and dying alone, but I still enjoy it right now. I wish I didn't, but I do. I should have gone into IT or something sensible...

Where do you go to law school again?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

qwertyman posted:

First year as a biglaw associate: feeling like you're lazy becuase you weren't at the office, but only working from home, when you got called to help on an assignment at 10:00 AM on a Sunday.

HiddenReplaced posted:

First year as a midlaw associate: Feeling happy because you woke up at 10:00 AM on a Sunday, went to the gym, made a large lunch, walked to the movie theatre, and then went to the park to enjoy the weather.

CaptainScraps posted:

First year as a solo practitioner: get pissed because you won't get paid for 6 months, go make a will for someone, get drunk while interviewing them, pocket their $400, go home to where you live with your mom.

First year as an attorney for a state agency: took off Friday to take a three-day weekend in the Hill Country. Short week next week because of Texas Independence Day. That'll be my third long weekend in a row. And since our blackberrys were taken back after our trial ended (lol budget cuts), there's 0 chance of checking e-mail over the weekends.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

HolySwissCheese posted:

Texas isn't the south, but Austin isn't really Texas, and you're still all Yankees

In other news, I think I got a public interest job doing admininistrative litigation. Actually a paid internship that might be a full time job when it's over. What are all of the things you know about admin lit?

Is this for a state agency? If so, which one?

Ps I type "ya'll". Maybe its a Texas thing, don't know.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

entris posted:

I have bought several champions for League of Legends that I haven't been able to try yet. I've decided to stop buying new champions until I have foudn the time to try out the last three or four that I bought.

Hope you bought rune sets before going after new champs ... surely you aren't using RP right??? Anyways, offer still stands - I can make you pro if you want. Until Guild Wars 2 comes out, that is.

[Edit]

MechaFrogzilla posted:

It's a good video. Better imo than the last CLS video that made it to the finals (The Law of Crime, '09/10).

God, we are such a goony school.

Sorry, I may be a traitor here but Palsgraf was better imo.

TheBestDeception fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 19, 2012

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

entris posted:

Nah I used RP. I only use IP for runes. I only buy champs on sale. I figure, if I'm working this hard and getting dolla dolla I might as well splurge on some stupid video game IAP.

Oh right, you have a decent paying job. Well carry on then. (I get paid in health insurance and coffee).

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Apparently a lot of the major trial lawyers in town get together once a month to play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 in a giant lan party.

Is the proper etiquette to crush them or not to crush them?

Are you still in Austin? Because the major trial lawyers here are all like 60 and 70 years old. Pretty funny to imagine a geriatric LAN.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

HolySwissCheese posted:

Just heard I get 3 months' funding from my law school to do public interest work in internship of my choice (litigating for my state government) during the period post bar exam but pre bar results. Hoping to bust my loving rear end off and get hired full-time once I'm licensed.

Can anyone please tell me what I should know about working the state? I worked for a different agency last fall and it was awesome as heck and dear god I hope all state agencies are awesome as heck.

This is exactly what I did post-graduation. I got hired though i'd say it was at least sonewhat luck - a position opened up in the division I was working in, so my supervisor was able to recommend me to the hiring team.

My advice is to try and not act like a stereotypical "state worker". If you dont have enough work to do, ask for more. Basically act professionally, like its a firm job, and you'll stand out.

Edit waaait a sec, youre in Austin? Are you coming to OAG?

TheBestDeception fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 15, 2012

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

bozwell posted:

The most important thing is to know the law, know all the factors, and to know the buzzwords where relevant ("best interests of the child" for family law, etc).

This is by far most important. In Texas at least, essays are an exercise in memorization, not analysis. If you can nail the factors / elements then the conclusions are simple. If you cant remember the factors then make up something reasonable and apply to facts. Use IRAC format, regardless.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

HolySwissCheese posted:

I pay $10/mo towards my loans. On IBR, I only need to pay zero dollars per month, but I am overpaying slightly to ensure that these months count towards my PSLF, since its not clear whether paying nothing would count. I have 117 months to go until the big forgiveness day.

For the record: Debt $130k, salary a little above $46k

How, exactly, do you have that salary and $0 due for IBR?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

HolySwissCheese posted:

IBR is based on prior year's tax return (so two years ago's income)

2 years ago I was a 2L, so I had $0 taxable income, so my IBR is capped at roughly 10% of $0.

I'm going to do my 2013 1040 this weekend, and then send that in to Fedloan. My 2013 1040 will say I had like $6k of taxable income in 2012. My IBR will still be basically $0.

It will be sometime in 2014 before I have to start making appreciable payments on my loans. Obama be praised.

While it is true that a prior tax return is the primary source of documentation used by IBR, the letter also states that if the tax return no longer reflects your current income, you should file the alternative documentation of income form.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

I laid in bed this morning fantasizing about becoming a cab driver. Don't go to law school. Also don't move to a town where everyone wants to live but has a small legal market.

I know you've said you tried applying for various state positions, but did you ever look into volunteering, for instance, with the OAG? They have a pretty open volunteer policy, and being a solid volunteer is a great way to jump to the front of the application line.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

Is the VIP program at the OAG the right one for a licensed attorney who wants to volunteer? It looks geared toward students, so it's a bit hard to tell. Definitely willing to give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Its all through the same coordinator, but yeah, I think the naming is divided up by interns (law students), clerks (graduated / waiting on bar), and volunteer attorneys. Looking at the site now - yeah, the VIP is the one you'd want to reference. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Lost my first jury trial today. I know I had bad facts and the case wasn't worth poo poo but still, gently caress.

Well you had a good run. Time to pack it up and hop on the state employment bandwagon.