Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Interesting. So someplace like Washington state with no property tax, how does abandoned real estate get resolved?

Nitpicking, but WA has property tax--it's income tax that we don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Oops! I knew there was a weird Oregon/Washington split on that, is it income vs sales? Buy in Portland, live in Vancouver WA?

Yep! It's a pretty sweet deal if you can overlook being mistaken for the good Vancouver all the time

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Boxman posted:

Random question for the thread - anyone remember that manga styled webcomic about some girls going to law school and generally being miserable about it? What was it called? Is it still around?

EDIT: It's been more than 3 years since I had posted in this thread. I regret nothing.

You mean Cute Lawyers? I keep meaning to update that, but I couldn't think of a good way to resolve the current story arc. Also, video games.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Nonexistence posted:

I've interned at two state attorney generals and thought it was fantastic for most of the reasons you listed. I have a very low cost lifestyle that I don't anticipate inflating, am graduating without debt and have a long time CPA girlfriend who's not going to kick me to the curb so i'm not living in turmoil under a financial guillotine. The AGs seem to hire people who've been working 5-10+ years so that's definitely a long term goal, but for now I've been looking at city government for entry level stuff. Any recommendations for where else I should look? I've lurked the thread's advice on gaming the application process for local gov stuff before and found it very useful.

I can't speak for the mid-Atlantic, but the experience requirement may vary within the same AG's office. In my state AGO, some divisions do want 5-10+ years, while others will hire straight out of law school. It really helps if you can catch them at a time of high turnover. My AGO pays below market and the legal market in my area has loosened up a lot, so there's a lot of churn going on. And it sounds like below-market salary wouldn't be as big an issue for you.

Another public sector opportunity that often gets overlooked is working directly for the state agencies. You won't be in court--that's the AGO's job--but there's some interesting work in analysis and compliance, and you might actually be making more than with the AG.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

Anyone have any insight on this question?

I wouldn't be pushy, but I really should e-mail the judge back with a yes/no to an interview request.

I have a friend who went from WA Supreme Court clerkship --> California firm. And conversely, I've been on interview panels for out-of-state clerks. It definitely goes to your qualifications, though it might elicit a couple questions about why you're interested in a job in this state in particular.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Thought this image was quaint

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

I love my clerkship but I feel like I am way over my head. Is that normal?

Yep. You'll start getting the hang of it 2 months before your clerkship is due to end

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Tipps posted:

- overtime!!! (only 1:1 for pay or lieu/time off, but still!)

Where do you work where lawyers are getting overtime? More than once I've been making binders at 6 because they kicked out my legal assistant at 5 to avoid incurring OT.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Yes, employee discipline is a huge part of my job but I’m not the one that actually issues it. I help managers and supervisor do it without breaking the law or the CBA. I’ll admit that the chill factor is increased because we have fair and reasonable unions. I also deal with leave issues and reasonable accommodations. It’s not stress free but it is more relaxed than private practice for sure.

I also did a lot of employee discipline back when I was in employment law. I found it not to be that stressful because most of our grievances settled out for X months' worth of compensation, voluntary resignation, neutral reference letter. If a case did go to hearing, it was always in arbitration--no pesky rules of evidence to worry about, minimal motion practice and discovery. Plus it's second only to criminal law for funny stories (employees getting disciplined for photocopying their butts, etc.)

One thing that was difficult was grievances where we couldn't do anything about the situation, for example if the payment system screwed up and we couldn't fix it on a reasonable timeline. Things where the CBA violation was fairly clear and we couldn't do much but to fall on our sword. Those could be frustrating. But on the whole, I really enjoyed doing employer-side employment law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Washington's oath has "abstain from all offensive personalities" -- I don't know what it means either