Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

GamingHyena posted:

I hope it's like Papers, Please where after a certain level you just hope the paperwork is right because there's too much of it to look at correctly. Periodically, your fax machine begins humming and it's the court telling you they're fining you because you hosed up too many times. If you don't complete enough cases you family starves and/or freezes to death.

Actually, come to think of it you wouldn't even need to change that many graphics to turn it into a court appointed case simulator.

Do you:

*Persuade your client to take the generous plea offer
*Threaten your client that you will withdraw from the case if he doesn't take the plea offer
*Tell your client to ignore the plea offer and go to trial

------

Your client has rejected your attempt to persuade him to take the generous plea offer, stating that the video and fingerprints are forgeries, and his signed confession should be invalid because he was high at the time.

Do you:

*Go to trial
*Attempt to withdraw from the case
*File a completely bullshit motion in an attempt to buy time or have the prosecutor get bored, but risk sanctions

--------

You have decided to go to trial.

The court informs you that you have exceeded the fee cap for court-appointed cases, and it will no longer pay any additional billing. Also, your client has attacked someone while incarcerated, and faces additional charges. The power has been cut off in your apartment, and winter is coming.

Do you:

*Giggle, then cry
*Seek solace in whiskey, your only friend
*Start a small fire in your apartment using the stack of student loan bills on your desk

-------

You and whiskey have a grand evening, and getting physically thrown out of the strip club was totally a case of mistaken identity.

Your inability to pay the electrical bill has caused your family to freeze to death. Your score for this round: 207. Restart: Y/N?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Well just redact identifying stuff, it's something you'll need to practice for firm life anyway.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

hell yeah you guys Rachel Maddow says she has copies of the emails and will be revealing them shortly, gently caress yeah! Tune into MSNBC like now!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

poo poo nevermind it's just his online application for pizza hut from like 6 years ago

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

Island law question:
Do you all still wear suits to court?

Suit for trial, shirt and tie for everyday court, Hawaiian shirt on Friday for court.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

We do have a good missile defense system, my worry is that a nuke gets smuggled in on a ship or they use a sub to do a suicide run.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

echopapa posted:

You have to admit, though, the part of the KCNA release where they talk about the “air pirates of Guam” was pretty cool. Like you guys are LARPing Crimson Skies.

no mention of the "butt pirates of Saipan" though, sad!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

But at least I have a name for my next beach league team.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Yeah send me the emails, I promise not to post them.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Ugh. Anyone offhand know if you can use records from an expunged trial against the co-defendant who pled out and testified against the guy whose record got expunged?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

Was it expunged for factual innocence or because he got it knocked off his record for good behavior over X years?
No for the former (maybe. A transcript shouldn't exist as all records were supposed to be physically destroyed.), yes for the latter in California. Technically our "expungements" (the latter kind) aren't actually 'expungements" so take that with a grain of salt.

Governor pardoned the co-defendant because he was a buddy, and as per a new statute the case was expunged. The non-moving co-defendant is now doing the same poo poo he testified doing earlier, and we were going to use it against him.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

Well, that's a new one. I'd look at the statute, text of the pardon, and any legislative record (I promise you they never discussed this). If I was on the prosecution and had nothing else, I'd argue something like the co-defendant doesn't have standing to object because the pardon applies only to the named person. Kind of like a search of someone else's car. Kind of a hail mary, but you wouldn't look like rear end in a top hat.

Actually, what I'd do is make the defense argue that it is inadmissible, because they won't have any caselaw either. "Thankfully" in california we have proposition 8 which makes any evidence admissible unless it isn't.

That's similar to what our chief prosecutor just told me, so we'll go with it. We're also going to try to get a written waiver by the guy who got the pardon, since he's probably not a big fan of the guy who testified against him.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Yay, prosecution got an indictment in the case in which I'm doing the parallel civil case, I get to drop a bombshell on opposing counsel tomorrow and hint that the last time we prosecuted this guy, he flipped on his attorney.

He's a bit of an old fox so I probably won't get a good panic reaction, but he's usually all bombast and it's a weak judge, it has a small amount of potential to be magical.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Well I got it.

Actually, it was assigned to me before I even asked. Without my consent or knowledge.

What's up Gov Atty Assigned To New Area Without Consent Or Knowledge buddy.

On the plus side, this means that nobody wants your job, so there's some good security there.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

Person I went to law school with (and drank with) just got a fancy job as a law professor.
Go to a non-T14 law school and also get a Ph.D. in some sort of genetics I guess.

Catch: It is a Penn State.

I bet he feels like a kid again!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

I openly admit, exercise is one of my problem areas. I know there are studies that have shown it has an effect equal to or better than a lot of the antidepression drugs, and I have genuinely tried to keep a routine going (like, I've walked 3-4 times a week for months on end, I've gone to the gym and weightlifted for around a year 3-4 times a week, so I'm not just talking about going twice and shutting it down). Unfortunately, I don't seem to get whatever exercise is supposed to give you, and I'll admit, it is one of the areas I really struggle with doing (though I try).

Trail hunting, however, is a no go. I live in a frozen wasteland, I hate cold (yeah, I know, not the smartest decision ever), and I refuse to be outside seven months of the year. :)

So as to show I am constructive, I am strongly considering moving somewhere warmer once my kid gets out of school in a few years.

Guam is always hiring ;)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Guam's judges are appointed, and all are former defense attorneys.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Got a loving gut punch of a FF&CL - land registration case (we're in a Torrens system, which would be fine if they made any efforts to initially register government lands when they implemented it, but they did not) - some land surveyor in the late 80's gets an idea to use deeds from the 1890's and bribe some land management employees to allow him to create maps that show Ancient Deed #1 encompasses a bunch of government land. He does this at least 4 times, tries to register 3, and the feds nail his rear end. He pleads guilty, flips on his co-defendants, does time. Co-defendants are found guilty, but one of them, an attorney, gets pardoned and his case (which includes the surveyor's case) is expunged.

2013, surveyor has taken the 4th piece of land which he didn't try to register before, washes it through a corporation he owns 99.99% of, and tries to register it again. We catch it just before the land registration hearing, charge him criminally, but the LR hearing continues - his corporation isn't even active/hasn't paid taxes, which means they couldn't pursue an action in court, the deeds were a loving mess and their own title company said 'yup it's pretty bad it doesn't connect up'. We couldn't use any of the guy's testimony from his prior conviction because the co-defendant's expungement sealed it to us (but not to the criminal division).

So of course the judge signs off on their proposed FF&CL granting them title. 90,000 sq. m. of land gained based on a fraudulently procured deed to a 192 sq.m. parcel that is miles away from the actual location.

I can't loving even.

I haven't watched Chinatown but know the basic plot, does Nicholson's character blow his brains out at the end or what

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Nice piece of fish posted:

Can it be forfeited or confiscated back to the state through the criminal trial?

Probably not, the charge was attempted theft. This throws a massive wrench in it, as the court has essentially legitimized it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

And now the opposing attorney just sent me an email saying 'whoops, wrong case. The FF&CL was for an earlier one you filed a non-oppo to.'

I've spent the last 24 hours just trying to keep my head from exploding. I don't know if he was trying to slip something past us and get my signature on it, or what the gently caress.

I couldn't even do anything last night. Couldn't drink, couldn't think, could barely sleep. Just played Mass Effect: Andromeda for the sweet release of watching cutscenes into the back of an NPC's head for five hours.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guam

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

The one thing I remember from my Negotiations class buy/sell videotaped exercise was the one dude up against two attractive women who repeatedly kept lowering his price without any response from the other side.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Learn how to disc golf.

Also, my job today - land records comes up with a handful of probate/deeds, situation is:

A dies, having owned a large tract of land, with 5 heirs. Instead of a probate, there's a civil suit among the heirs, with confusing language that says 'Heir B gets a 1/5 share of the tract, consisting of Lot X'

Heir B then dies, with 4 heirs - but their attorney screws up and says they each get a 1/20th share of Lot X.

One of those heirs, C, dies and that probate gives his 1/20th share to the single heir (thank god) of that estate, D.

D does a warranty deed via sale of 1/20th of Lot X to E.

E does a warranty deed via sale of 1/20th of Lot X to F.

Attorneys for B then realize their mistake and correct the probate to say 1/4th share of Lot X for the heirs of B.

One of C's co-heirs is now coming in asking for a certificate of title that reflects the current state of affairs.

Also, my desk is bereft of whiskey.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

let us know when you've been bought off and are a billionaire

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Lote posted:

Def not touching this one.

Also you never replied to my text about hypnosis. :colbert:

Probably shouldn’t have given him the suggestion that he not remember it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Government procurement review and contracts, agency law

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

https://deadspin.com/robert-krafts-special-pal-had-a-baby-1823423039

Two thoughts...

First, how much do we think the trust fund is? $10M? $50M? Kraft is worth like $5 billion so...

Second, whatever it is I would think it's associated with an NDA as well as an agreement or stipulation never to assert paternity, demand child support, or claim any other rights. I don't do family law but I do know that such an agreement would probably be void in Louisiana since we have forced heirship laws that mandate a portion of the father's estate go to the child. Don't know about Massachusetts or NY or whatever. Does anyone know whether an agreement like that would hold up?

Re: child support, courts in p much every state hold that the right to child support belongs to the child, and the mother/father cannot waive it or bargain it away - this usually voids any agreement the parents make that is either a 'pay no more child support' or 'here's a pittance of a lump sum that will count for now until the kid turns 18'.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

https://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/AL7hEWgjyFqsq0UWZIFr

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Definitely heel but realistically we need more non-rear end in a top hat prosecutors so I think he gets a pass.

I've done both - I feel like you can do more good overall as a prosecutor, while as a defense attorney you can sometimes be at the mercy of a lovely prosecutor/cop on a case. Though how good you can be is often limited by your management.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Did they ever catch this guy yet?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

EwokEntourage posted:

Holy poo poo this was enough to get denied on character and fitness?

Edit: nm lol I misread the part where he missed the meeting

You would be amazed what C&F will use as ammo.

There was an infamous case of a girl who got an underaged drinking ticket, who happened to be working at a bar when she applied. She was denied on the basis that she was a presumed alcoholic.

My wife's application was delayed 6 months because she had been terminated from McDonald's when she was 14, and failed to mark on the application that she had been dismissed from any professional jobs. She had disclosed the firing under a different section, and figured McDonald's Cashier wasn't a suit and tie profession. It was grimace inducing. Tragicomically, she'd been fired for following actual McDonald's procedure and pissing off the manager. It's ok, only costs us a couple thousand in lost wages now, no big deal.

You can be the world's worst human once you're in the bar, but woe betide you if you don't declare every tiny thing you've done since you were born.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Why'd you go from in-house to biglaw?

edit: oh biglaw partner.

still.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Nonexistence posted:

What is our island law representation itt? Just guam? Any samoa/fiji?

Just Guam now. I made the mistake of taking a few days off and everything ground to a goddamn halt because everyone is so gunshy of litigation that (just pretend there’s a sound of me yelling into a paper bag for like 8 hours straight)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Roger_Mudd posted:

I can see you Guam goons.

I’m in Fiji atm but will be back tomorrow

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Hoping that an upcoming election will free me from my paper prison.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Recommending The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman for a good fantasy read.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Lote posted:

If you’re a prosecutor, you have the option to decline to prosecute right? You have the choice of what evidence to present.

Depends on whether the case will be in the newspaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

ActusRhesus posted:

Oh goody. Nutjob “investigative reporter” doing a documentary on one of my cases. *siiiiigh*

If they have an actual journalism related degree, you're a tier ahead of me. My issues get covered by someone with a comp sci degree and someone who used to be a racist comedian.