Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Not a Children posted:

A friend of mine who just graduated law school (Georgetown) tried to convince me over drinks that I should apply to law school and then drop my full-ride distance MS program and quit my job on the basis that "There are too few lawyer engineers, you'd be a shoo-in at the patent office!"
Wtf... it's only been four years since I graduated from the same school. At that time people were mostly desperate, and I doubt that even the lucky ones (employed at graduation) would have recommended law school to anyone.

Not a Children posted:

I laughed in his face and told him about my 8 hour workday
Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

you can work 8 hour workdays at the patent office
You also don't need law school to get the job.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

My wife looked at me today with disgust amd said "you're just another unemployed lawyer."
This is why I don't miss my marriage.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Smerdyakov posted:

Where did you go to school? Was it a bad school? What did you score? Was it sub 150? Did you take on too much debt because you just didn't know what to do with a history major? Do you think it's easy for people to set you off? Do you often feel like you know what other people are going to say before they say it?

What I'm gathering is that it's really important to get a high LSAT score for scholarships, and if I can't get a free or nearly free ride, it's not worth going. The combination of debt and lack of alternatives seems to make a lot of lawyers resentful and anxious, as evidenced by much of this thread. Thanks guys, you've really encouraged me to study hard and dedicate myself fully.

P.S. what was your score
172, Georgetown, debt free in a year, $270k a year, kill yourself

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh man, I was totally going to guess that something had followed her back from D&D like a demon hitchhiking out of hell, but I forgot to post that.
I can't, my highest guy is like level 8. This newest elf warrior I made is a keeper though, I'm gonna stick to it this time.
You're fine for Orlais and the followup.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

re: Alice, I think that the line of patentability should be the difference between poo poo like "find documents that match keyword based on some ranking metric" (unpatentable) and "arrange index in particular way" (patentable as the particular optimization relies on the fact that the underlying computer has physical limitations related to, e.g., bus width, memory allocation blocks, etc.)

basically any invention directed to underlying semantic meaning of the data involved shouldn't be patentable
That makes sense to me, and it's in line with DDR.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

How many years ago did you take it? "open book searchable" is a bit of an exaggeration when 1/3 of the tested material (stuck in Federal Register Notices) isn't searchable and the stuff that is takes 20 seconds to load.

The advice in the OP is absolute bullshit and if you go into the patent bar just doing that, you're not only going to fail, you'll probably only have time to answer 1/2 of the questions
The advice was accurate circa 2009. I took it at that time prior to taking any IP classes or having any experience with prosecution and passed. That said, I'm told that it's gotten much harder, and there are smart people in my office who failed it on their first try, despite making actual effort at preparation.

Folly: try not to worry too much about your results this time. No one will care after you take it again and pass.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 24, 2014

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

gret posted:

drat you guys make my clients seem almost downright reasonable.
I was just thinking the same thing.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Yeah, I guess since I already paid the test fee I might as well make an honest run at it, but given that I have a poo poo GPA I probably won't get in anyway.
If I recall correctly, we had a guy in the thread who had a not-so-great GPA, but scored near perfectly on the LSAT and got into Harvard. So there is hope if you can pull something like that off.

Of course, I haven't had a day off in over two weeks, despite the holidays, so it's possible that I'm hallucinating that out of sheer exhaustion. Note that working this way at a major firm is considered a best case scenario by most 2nd and 3rd year law students, after they've given up on their panda dreams.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

The eensy weensy sniper goes through the maintenance shaft
Out come the geth to launch a sneak attack
Boom go grenades and headshots, one two three
and mommy's little sniper just saved the galaxy.
Best mom ever.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

anybody know gently caress all about the patent bar requirements and category b in particular? i wanna know if taking 32 hours of comp sci classes pursuant to a masters degree in comp sci plus eight hours of chem would qualify me
I qualified under category b under similar circumstances (I had tons of science and engineering coursework but my degrees had the wrong names). Just make sure that you give them the materials they need to decide in your favor when you file your application.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Okay, so I'm now a month into my new job. My old one left me lots of time for loving around, short commute, etc. My new one is a lot more intense, and involves more sitting and reading alone (I had way more court at the old gig).

I read for fun a lot when I had the old job; now when I get home all I want to do is not loving read.

I'm not going to play elf sex game. What are my other video game options.
Go the gym and, if you must, pretend that you're grinding experience in an RPG.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

The Warszawa posted:

Does EVE let me RP as a cut-rate Diego Simeone, screaming GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL and also saying absurd things about winning?
sure

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

3:00 am posting from the office supremacy.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Toona the Cat posted:

Why on earth would anyone go into debt that much willingly? I mean, I'm looking at 50-70k total and thinking that's a lot.
Expected profit based on ignorance of risks and/or delusional beliefs.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Passed the patent bar on try #2 - pretty smoothly I think
Crashed on me twice even
Congrats.

It is still a totally bullshit and arbitrary exam
Yep.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

I think it helps.
Agreed. Acknowledgment that I took time away from my actual work to do an interview always makes me like the person more. It's also classy, and surprisingly rare. I've usually submitted a thumbs up/down to the hiring committee by the time a letter arrives, but if the committee is having trouble deciding about a candidate, positive word of mouth generated by a letter can make a difference.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

Why would a mouthbreathing legacy kid want to be a lawyer that bad?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Curious- what's WaPo's angle in so heinously misreporting it, then? Federal Eye usually does good work.
WaPo wrote the original expose article, and they have an interest in portraying themselves as having uncovered an important and ongoing scandal.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Slothbear posted:

pre posted:

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

nm posted:

Lawyer and Law School Megathread #13: "I was making double that 6 years ago."
Yeah, I randomly decided to check this thread out for the first time in a couple of years. Looks like not much has changed. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

evilweasel posted:

jesus gently caress this thread is eight years old
Did it make partner yet?