Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Jack Flint posted:

I'm heading in that direction next monday for three-ish weeks so any tips are appreciated. Going to at least Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, possibly Turkey, Bulgaria and Romania. Interrailing with a ten travel days in 21 days -pass.
If you have any specific questions about Serbia, shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Jack Flint posted:

Can you give me some info on Belgrade? I'm definitely interested in going there but apart from looking up a few hostels know very little about it.
i won't cover the things you can read on wikipedia, here's what i love about belgrade:

- it's still largely untouched and untainted by western tourists (even though the number of tourists has steadily gone up over the past few years), which means a visitor is still seen as a guest and not a walking wallet

- it's rough around the edges, i.e. expect many things like buildings, busses etc. to be a bit gritty, run-down, not in the best shape, expect near-toxic fumes from the exhaust pipes of 30-year old cars

- it's a city of contrasts: old and new, rich and poor, life is really condensed here. the contrasts are not as extreme as in e.g. african countries, though, it's still europe

- the rhythm of life is generally very laid-back. even though it's the political and economical capital of serbia you will find that the cafés are full all day long. when you "go out for a coffee" with a friend, expect to spend 2-3 hours sitting around, talking and watching people pass by

- it is cheap. expect to pay 1.30 EUR for a pack of cigarettes, 1.30-1.80 EUR for a beer at a pub/café, 0.50-0.80 EUR for a beer at the supermarket, 2-3 EUR for a huge hamburger, 8-15 EUR for a great meal at a fairly nice restaurant... you get the idea

- the night life is amazing. you have so many pubs, bars, clubs etc. to choose from, people go out every day of the week, it's just incredible

- the food is awesome (if you like meat)

- the people might seem rough at first when you don't know them, but once they open up you will find that they are very kind, warm, generous, welcoming, educated, crazy, fun

- the belgrade girls are the most beautiful in the world (but by no means easy!)

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
depends on what you want to see and do.

head to kalemegdan fortress, it's a huge park with beautiful views.

sit in a cafè on knez mihailova street for a few hours and just watch the people.

i like the nikola tesla museum (krunska street), it's not big but quite interesting.

go for dinner at "srpska kafana" (svetogorska street), awesome traditional dishes and not expensive.

grab a serbian hamburger (pljeskavica) at "loki" (kralja petra street), they are really great.

for beers, go to any of the pubs in strahinica bana street or in skadarska street.

parties: head to one of the rafts, or stay in the centre (i like e.g. "francuska sobarica" in francuska street and "kst" in bulevar kralja aleksandra).

also, in sarajevo, eat cevapi at this one place in bascarsija square. i can't for the life of me remember the name but it ends in the number 2, so "somethingsomething 2". they have the best cevapi in the balkans, everybody knows the place.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Jack Flint posted:

All right, thanks a ton - this helps a lot after wandering aimlessly around Budapest for two days (which is fine in itself and was great to have a few slower days). If any of the goons answering here happen to be in Belgrade tomorrow or Sarajevo / Dubrovnik later I'll be happy to buy you a pint or two.
you're welcome! won't be in belgrade before 19th august, though, am in italy at the moment. have fun in ex-yu!

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I know what you're talking about, it has a soccer ball on the sign... ah poo poo I can't think of the name either. I don't know if I'd say best cevapi in the Balkans, but it is pretty good :3:

Make sure to ask for kajmak with your cevapi!
yeah, i guess there might be better places but anecdotal evidence tells me that place is at least one of the best: not only according to my friends from sarajevo but also according to the likes of a half-kosovar friend of mine in germany, a random vienna-serb i met at "loki" in belgrade, a friend from belgrade whose grandma lives in sarajevo etc....

kajmak is divine, of course!

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 19, 2010

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ziir posted:

I'm moving to Germany from America for several years. What do I need to do regarding my driver's license? I don't plan on driving too much as I won't have a car, but I'd like the option to rent one and go on a cruise throughout the countryside and/or other countries.

Edit: There's no local AAA office nearby where I'm at (parent's small town) and I only have 3 more weeks left so order by mail is most likely impossible.
For the first six months you can use your US licence. After that you have to get a German licence. Depending on which US state your licence was issued in you may have to take a theoretical and practical driving test, just the theoretical test or no test at all.

edit: saw in another thread that you're from Phoenix. Assuming your licence was issued in Arizona, and is either class G, D or 2, you don't have to take any tests. Just go to the "Fahrerlaubnisbehörde" in your city and they will tell you what you need to get the swap done.

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 12, 2010

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ziir posted:

http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/drivers_license/

Neat, I live in a state with full reciprocity so no written or driving test for me. Since I won't have to take any tests and just need to fill out paperwork, how much will this cost me? Anyone know?
I'd guess about 50-100 EUR, depending on the city you'll be in (whether they want an official translation of your US licence).

To give you an idea, I got a new licence this year because I lost my old one: 14 EUR for photos, 12 EUR for some paperwork at the notary public stating that I really lost my licence, 35 EUR fee for the new licence.

Re your edit: No. The "Fahrerlaubnisbehörde" in your German city can tell you where you can get a translation.

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 12, 2010

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ziir posted:

How long is a German license good for? It'd be a nice little novelty item too even if I don't get to use it much.

My driver's license from Arizona doesn't expire until I'm 65...
German licences don't expire. However, once you leave Germany I guess you would have to return the German licence.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ziir posted:

Really? I guess I'll just say no if they ask if I have one :). Not like they'll even ask if I show them an American passport. Are licenses in Germany cards or just a piece of paper (like Italian ones)?
Cards (same format as credit cards).

It might not be as simple as that. Looking at the website of the Munich city administration, their process for swapping US licences is something like this:

1) Go to "Fahrerlaubnisbehörde", fill out the application form, hand in a photo, the fee, a confirmation that you are registered with the authorities where you live, your US licence and a translation thereof
2) Your US licence gets checked by the police to see if it's genuine
3) Wait 4 weeks
4) Retrieve your German licence and surrender your US licence

The only way to get your US licence back is to swap it for the German licence before you leave the country for good.

Might be different in other cities/administrational districts but I doubt it as it should be governed by federal law.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

John Dough posted:

Also, over here driving licenses, ID cards and passports require photographs that meet special requirements, like not smiling, leaving your ears visible, an evenly colored background, and other stuff like that. Maybe the Germans here know if that also applies over there, because that would be important if he applies for a license there.
Yes, it's the same in Germany. But I guess that should be no problem for him because this type of photos was introduced thanks to the US who required passports issued after 2005 (or 2006?) to come with these standardized photos in order to be granted entry (among other things like being machine-readable).

As for credit cards: It's the same in Germany. Many places still do not accept them (e.g. most restaurants, bars, small stores). Petrol stations, department stores, electronics stores, hotels and most supermarkets do, however, accept VISA and MasterCard these days (though not American Express), but especially supermarkets often require a minimum purchase of 10 EUR (because of the CC fees they have to pay). Most Germans do not have a credit card (people try to avoid any kind of debt). I only have one because I travel quite often.

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 13, 2010

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

bitt3n posted:

If I'm traveling through small towns in Northern Italy, can I expect to find wireless connections readily available? Or at least connections at PC cafes to which I can hook up my laptop? The Lonely Planet guide suggests wireless connections are generally harder to come by than in the US. I was planning on mapping out GPS routes nightly on bikely.com so if that's true it looks like I'm going to need to rely on maps.
I don't think you will be able to find any wireless connections to use. In Italy there is a law (part of the anti-terrorism legislation) that says that internet users have to be registered, i.e. when you go to an internet café you have to register with your passport and are given a personal account so your surfing can be tracked. Normal places like cafés, pubs etc. don't offer wireless because it would be too much of a hassle to set up this system. I've also never seen the possibility to hook up your own laptop in an internet café.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Every Man Jack posted:

I am worried about the lack of time we're spending in Vienna and Prague. Where can I cut from our schedule? Belgium is a long as it is, because I will be visiting family there, so it can't really be hacked any shorter.

Also, is there any must see things in these cities? I have most of the usual suspects, but is there anything hidden, or off the beaten track that you consider essential?
To echo what some of the others said: this is way too much for just over 3 weeks.

What I would do personally:

1) Go directly from Frankfurt to Heidelberg or spend max 1 night in Frankfurt
2) Stay max 1 night in Heidelberg
3) Leave out Füssen (you probably want to see Castle Neuschwanstein, right?)
4) Leave out Vienna
5) Leave out Kutna Hora
6) Leave out Hamburg
7) Add the days to Prague and Berlin

Reasons:

1) Frankfurt is not interesting, unless you want to see banks and are really big into museums (there are actually some nice museums there).

2) Heidelberg is nice to see for a day but that's it.

3 and 4) I guess you want to travel by train. A quick check reveals that the train from Munich to Füssen takes 2.5hrs and the train from Füssen to Vienna takes 7.5hrs. That's basically one day spent on the train just to see Castle Neuschwanstein.

4) Vienna is beautiful if you're into Baroque architecture and museums. Aside from that I wouldn't know what to do there.

5) Pretty obvious: 1 day for something nice but not overwhelming.

6) Hamburg is actually IMHO the most beautiful city in Germany but as a first-time visitor you'll be better off spending more time in Berlin, I think.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Mackieman posted:

I'm going to Salzburg for MLK weekend 2011, and I cannot figure out the trains. I am flying into MUC and plan to take a train from MUC to Salzburg, but when I attempt to use bahn.de I am told that'll be $120 US round trip.

For reasons that are unknown to me at the moment, this seems excessive. Am I missing something and is there some key to lower train fares?
Actually, the cheapest option is the so-called "Bayern-Ticket". There are two versions: "Bayern-Ticket Single" which is valid for 1 person and costs 20 EUR, and "Bayern-Ticket" which is valid for up to 5 people and costs 28 EUR.

With the BayernTicket you can use public transport (buses and regional trains that are denoted as IRE, RE, RB or S) in all of Bavaria and on some connections to bordering states and countries, which includes Salzburg.

The BayernTicket is valid from 9 AM until 3 AM of the next day during the week, and from 12 AM until 3 AM of the next day on Saturdays and Sundays.

The regional train from Munich to Salzburg takes only 2 hours and you don't have to change trains.

The ticket can be bought at any train station using the vending machines.

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 4, 2010

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

JeffreyAtW posted:

Hey no one has suggested actual things to do in Rome yet. We're planning on spending just a few days there in November. Tell me all about Rome!
Have a look at this thread: Tell me about Rome

Should give you plenty of ideas.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

flyingfoggy posted:

Is Rome alright to visit in early December? We would save 60 or so euro each on flights that weekend instead of our originally planned weekend in October.
I'd go in October when there's a good chance that the weather will still be nice. In December you're risking it being somewhat cold, maybe rainy and cloudy. A climate chart tells me that the average max temperature in October is 21.2 with average min being 12.5 vs. 12.2/5.3 in December, respectively.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Landsknecht posted:

Trains in Italy, while relatively cheap (compared to germany/france) are still expensive, especially the IC ones. You can go in to a station and drop 100Euro on a ticket easily, especially a popular route.
Well, the Frecciarossa/Frecciargento trains are fairly expensive, however, there's no way you'll be spending 100 EUR on either Rome-Florence or Florence-Venice (100 EUR would be a route like Milan-Naples).

I just checked to be sure (single tickes, 2nd class, no discounts):

Rome-Florence: The cheapest ticket on the regional train is 16.95 EUR (4 hours), the most expensive is 44 EUR for the Frecciarossa/Frecciargento (1.5 hours)

Florence-Venice: The Frecciarossa/Frecciargento is 42 EUR (2 hours).

bitmap, two weeks in Italy is ok if all you want to do is visit Rome, Florence and Venice.
About Venice: sure, it's beautiful, but it gets old really fast. I wouldn't budget more than two days for Venice.
Florence is also something which can be done in three days. It's nice, yes, but the historical centre is pretty small and after three to four days you'll be running out of things to see and do.
Spend at least one full week in Rome, it offers more art and history than any other place I know and there's too much to see there. I've been to Rome 10-15 times over the past 9 years and I haven't seen everything. There's a reason why the Italians say that for Rome one lifetime is not enough.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
quote is not edit

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

pinegala posted:

I'm a 21-year-old American college student who has never traveled without family and am planning on visiting a friend who's studying abroad in Dublin from Dec. 14th to Dec. 31st (who similarly hasn't traveled abroad without family). We originally planned to spend 3-4 days in Ireland, 3-4 days in Sweden (Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmo), a week in Italy (2 days Rome, Sienna, 2 days Florence, 2 days Venice), and 3 days in Switzerland (Lugano, Lauterbrunnen, Lucerne). I'm a little concerned about :

1) time crunch since all the responses in this thread and the "tell me about Rome" thread specify at least 2 days for most cities and 3-4 for the big ones (Rome especially). Should we cut down on countries/cities?
Seriously, your itinerary is crazy! Focus on one or two countries and replan. In American terms what you're trying to do is "NYC, Boston, Washington DC and Philadelphia in 4 days". Do you think that's a good idea? Do you think you will be able to enjoy any of these places if all you do is run from the train station to the hostel, into town, to the hostel to sleep and then back to the station?

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Cometa Rossa posted:

This thread has helped a lot in planning my trip. The only thing I'm missing is a rough recommendation of how long each city is worth. The major ones will be Berlin, Prague, Budapest, Belgrade, Sarajevo, Split and Zadar - how much should I give each one in an essentially unlimited schedule?
"How long each city is worth" is tough to judge. Maybe you want to know how long it takes to see everything of importance and get a good idea of a city? Otherwise, Berlin is well worth one year, so is Belgrade imho, Sarajevo more like six months... see where this is going? But then again, with an unlimited schedule, maybe that's what you want to do...

Edit: otherwise here's what I would budget for a normal trip and taking into account travel time:

Berlin: 1 week
Prague: 4 days
Budapest: 4 days
Belgrade: 5 days
Sarajevo: 4 days
Split: 2 days
Zadar: go to Dubrovnik instead for 2 days

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 4, 2010

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Suntory BOSS posted:

Getting really worried about this European snow clusterfuck :ohdear:
I'm flying out Christmas Day from Tokyo>Guangzho>Paris>Amsterdam and then back again on New Years Day, even a day's delay will make me late getting back to work. I doubt if China Southern would provide a refund if I cancelled so I guess I'll just have to hope for the best?

edit; Somebody reassure me :smith:
Checking the weather forecast for the next few days it looks like your outbound flight on 25 December should be fine. The next few days should bring temperatures above 0°C and some light rains. The operations at airports around western/central Europe are slowly going back to normal at the moment (still this morning about 300 flights were cancelled in Frankfurt, though). What the situation will be on New Year's? Nobody can tell.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

insomniac doze posted:

This summer I will be going to Crete, Greece, and I was wondering what would be the easiest way to get to Spain(train, bus, ferry, etc) with the exception of air travel(I hate plane, also poor). I'm not sure if it would be easier to take a ferry from Crete to mainland Greece or to just take it to Italy. Also I would like to know about the visa situation(I'm American.) when traveling through different countries in Europe.
I'm not sure you realize how long a trip from Crete to Spain (where exactly?) would take by train, bus, ferry. I would strongly advise against that unless you fancy spending 48-96 hours on the road (e.g. the ferry from Patra, mainland Greece, to Ancona, Italy, takes about 20 hrs; a bus from let's say Athens to let's say Venice will be something like 30 hrs). Taking the plane I can find connections from Heraklion to e.g. Barcelona for just under 200 EUR (travel time just over 5 hrs). This will most certainly be cheaper than any possible train/ferry/bus combination.

For visa information I am sure that your foreign ministry will have all the necessary information on their website. As far as I know as a US citizan you can travel within the EU without a visa for up to 90 days.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

hankor posted:

It´s completely off topic, but is your name taken from the "author" of a big red book?
Yes.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ziir posted:

2000 beers you say? :aaa:

38€ for a round trip ticket on the German ICE trains (1 hour each way). drat, that's pretty awesome. Does anyone know of any good hostels in Brussels? What about things to do? Museums? Discos/clubs? I've been to Brussels before with my parents and all I remember is the pissing boy and the Atomium.
Delirium is nice for the huge selection. Also check out the bar on the other side of the alley which has similarly huge selections of absinths and vodkas (iirc).

I liked the Belgian comic strip museum and the Royal Museum of Arts. The musical instrument museum is supposed to be very nice, too, though I've never been there. Don't forget to eat real fries and some of the local fish dishes, they are really great. It's also nice to just wander around looking for the big graffiti of Belgian comic strip heroes on walls. Can't really remember the names of clubs and other bars I went to because, well, let's just say I also made it my mission to sample as many beers as possible.

I stayed in two different centrally located hostels and they were both quite good but gently caress if I remember their names now.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Belgrade probably isn't worth seeing.
While I agree that with BogginHarry's itinerary it doesn't make sense to take the detour to Belgrade (it's like 8 hours on the bus from Sarajevo), I just wanted to clarify that generally speaking Belgrade is very much worth seeing. Granted, I may be biased but any city that was voted the best place in the world to party the night away (Lonely Planet about Belgrade in their 2010 ranking) should be on a young person's must-see list. And that doesn't even take into account history, culture and cultural life (the avantgarde arts scene in Belgrade is fantastic, the number of festivals is astounding etc.)

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ishamael posted:

-Has anyone used a sleeper train at all? How was it?
I used an Italian Railway sleeper train between Munich and Rome a few years ago. It was pretty poo poo and I wouldn't do it again.

quote:

-Between Florence, Rome, and Venice, if you had 8 days, how would you spend your time - which place is coolest? From what I have read of the thread, I have seen a lot of Rome love, but I thought I would check.
Rome: 6 days
Florence: 2 days
Venice: skip (it's out of the way for your itinerary and even fuller of tourists than Florence and Rome)

quote:

-Any recommendations for hotels, pensiones or hostels in Milan, Rome, or any of the other cities? My wife says we are too old to stay in the group rooms and wants a private room if we do a hostel, I am not sure how set she is on that.
Don't know your budget but in Milan I like the Crowne Plaza Milan Centre. Location is good (right next to a subway stop) and I like the interior design quite a bit. Should be something like USD100-150/night. Can't help you with the others, sorry.

quote:

-When a hotel in Italy says that breakfast is included, what does that mean for them? I know what to expect from a hotel here, not as much there.
Depends on the quality standard of the hotel. Could be anything from coffee and small pastry rolls (i.e. typical Italian breakfast of espresso and croissant) to a full buffet.

quote:

-Any good restaurant recommendations in Milan, Rome, Florence, or Venice? We will be eating at a few fancy places I am sure, but most of the time we are going to be looking for quality cheap eats where we can get some real Italian fare.
What I usually do is ask the hotel/hostel staff for recommendations, i.e. where would they eat? Emphasize "not too expensive" and "no tourists" and you should find something decent.

quote:

-Rail pass questions:
As train travel is comparatively cheap in Italy make sure that the Rail Pass actually is a good deal compared to buying individual tickets (in most cases it isn't).

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

1) I have family in Poland and always wanted to visit Warsaw. How hard would it be to get out there from a friday night - monday morning? and what sort of cost. Ive looked at trains and planes, and they seem to be a couple hundred dollars. any cheaper alternatives?
No. The plane is the only sensible option for such a weekend getaway. Unless you would like to spend 50% of the weekend on the train/bus. After all Bremen-Warsaw is a 1,000 km trip.

quote:

2) The wife and I love scenery, so we want to travel down to the romantic road and see castles and cool stuff that way. Current plan is to get train passes (twin, 2nd class, 3 trips total) from Bremen to Frankfurt, rent a car, drive from saturday-thursday, then take the train back and leave from Bremen on an airplane. Are we crazy?
This seems sensible. 5 days is more than enough for the Romantic Road. Hell, to me it seems too much, even. Where are you planning to stop along the Romantic Road?

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Aimee posted:

I'm going to be in Croatia for probably a month and Novi Sad maybe 2 weeks. Are both of these cities walkable if you're staying near the downtown areas of each?
Novi Sad is not a big city (about 230,000 inhabitants) so, yeah, it's absolutely walkable. Two weeks there sounds like it would get pretty boring, imho. Frankly, there's not too much to see and do apart from the centre around Independence Square and the Petrovaradin Fortress. You might want to head to Belgrade for a weekend. It's less than 2 hours by bus and will give you plenty of things to see and do. If you have access to a car you might also want to check out Fruska Gora National Park and some of the Orthodox monasteries there.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Kolta posted:

On that note. Has anyone ever taken a train from Berlin to Rome? I know we'd have to stop in Munich.
There is no direct train from Berlin to Rome. You would have to change trains one to six times. Why you would want to do that is beyond me as it's a huge hassle and will take somewhere between 17 and > 24 hours. A flight will get you there in less than two hours.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Aimee posted:

Anyone know how hard it would be for me to get either:

A) A month-long bicycle rental

in Belgrade?

Are you absolutely sure you want to bike around Belgrade? I've never seen any cyclists there and for good reasons: it's hilly, there are no dedicated bike paths, sidewalks tend to be narrow and full of potholes, drivers are crazy and not used to cyclists and thus will not look out for you.

As for scooter rental, check out this Google search: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iznajmljivanje+skutera+beograd

This result seems reasonable at 1,600-2,000 RSD/24hrs: http://www.motocentarada.com/cenovnik.html

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Junior G-man posted:

Tegel is a colossal shithole,
A shithole where you can comfortably arrive twenty minutes before your scheduled departure, drop off your luggage and wander over to your gate without being herded through a shopping mall first. Wouldn't want to have a connection there but as a departure airport it's fantastic. There's a reason why Tegel's original layout is considered groundbreaking.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Hollow Talk posted:

While true and despite being very good, Mustafa's isn't the "original" Döner, so if you want a more "traditional" version, the Döner place at the Rosenthaler Platz isn't bad, and neither is the one on the Rosenthaler Straße/Hackescher Markt opposite the Hackesche Höfe.
If you're thinking of the Döner place on the Torstr./Rosenthaler Str. corner across from St. Oberholz which also sold pizza etc.: that one closed.

While Mustafa's makes a decent Döner I don't think it's worth queuing 20 minutes for. For a similar experience without the queue you could go to the small booth on Heinrichplatz. Cheaper than Mustafa's, too.

Also, for a great veal Döner check out Tadim at Kottbusser Tor (where Rossmann is). For a great beef with lamb fat one check out Imren (several locations, Karl-Marx-Str., Kottbusser Damm and one in Wedding (?)).

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Falukorv posted:

I'm flying on tuesday to Lisbon, then i need to catch a train at around either 20:05 or at 21:30 from Oriente, and my flight arrives at Lisbon airport at 19:00.

Barring any delays, do you guys think i make it in time for the 20:05 train, if i take the subway to Oriente from the airport?

edit:
Maybe a bad question, it's all contingent on how long the baggage claim takes, and possible delays. I'll just have to find out while i'm there.
A few weeks ago it took me about 30 minutes from the moment of touchdown to getting out of the subway at Oriente but that was on an inner-Schengen flight so no passport control and only with hand luggage so YMMV as you said.

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 15, 2014

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
What are you interested in? What time of the year are you going? Berlin has literally thousands of things to do and three days is not a lot of time so you might want to specify. As for hostels, friends of mine were once staying at the Plus Hostel near S/U Warschauer Str. and it looked quite nice when I picked them up.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for night clubs in Berlin? Seems like everyone I talk about Berlin has some one to recommend but I've forgotten to write them down.
What kind of music are you interested in?

quote:

Also whats the best museums to visit? I'm interested in both art and history. Also looking for recommendations on poo poo to do in general seeing as I plan to be there around 2 weeks.
Everything on the Museumsinsel is worth a visit. Even though the Pergamonaltar is closed for renovations at the moment, you can still see TONS of neat stuff including for example the Ishtar Gate of ancient Babylon. The Deutsches Historisches Museum is also pretty nice, showing the history of the German people over the past 2000 years. The Jewish Museum (Jüdisches Museum) is also pretty great and a must-see. For modern and contemporary art check out the Hamburger Bahnhof museum (might want to check their website to see what's going on at the moment.) The Martin-Gropius-Bau has changing exhibitions on art and history, last year's highlights included an Ai Weiwei solo show, a Vikings history exhibition, and an exhibition on Pier Paolo Pasolini's years in Rome. Check their website to see what's going on during your stay. Right next to it is the Topographie des Terrors, a free-entry exhibition on the site of the Gestapo/SS/RSHA headquarters showing the terror state created by the Nazis. They have a permanent part and always some specific limited-time thing (I liked the on they did last year on a WWII propaganda reporter who later became the author of books explaining sexuality to children in Swabian dialect.) There's also a new permanent exhibition at the former East German Stasi HQ which is supposed to be really good but I haven't been, yet. The Berlinische Galerie has some nice modern art centered around Berlin (i.e. artists from Berlin or who spent some time working in Berlin), though it might be closed for renovations at the moment, I don't remember. These are the ones that come to mind immediately but there are tons more, Berlin has around 160 museums including totally niche things like the Ramones museum, the Currywurst museum, or the puppet theatre museum.

For other things to do: what are you interested in?

Edit: another museum I can recommend is the Deutsches Technikmuseum if you're interested in technological history.

Edit2: Once you arrive you might want to pick up a copy of the Exberliner, which is an English-language monthly catering to the expat crowd and includes relevant events listings.

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 24, 2015

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Pretty much into anything besides heavy rock/metal. Love a bit of deep house/trance/trap/triphop weirdness. I keep hearing of all these 'walk in Friday night, leave Sunday morning' kinda places and I have to (attempt to) experience that because goddamn.
I don't know about those specific genres and generally most of the electronic scene is house/tech-house/minimal/techno at the moment. With that being said here's a few solid places you should check out on Resident Advisor to see what's going on during your stay:

Sisyphos
Berghain
Kater Blau
Salon zur Wilden Renate
Ritter Butzke
Stattbad
://about blank
Suicide Circus

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 27, 2015

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm trying to figure out German trains and not being a German speaker I'm having some trouble. Is there a map of what cities are served or what routes are run or something?
Basically nearly every town with more than let's say 5,000 inhabitants (and some smaller places) will be connected to the train network so that's a bit like asking if there's a map of bus stops for a given city. Here's the Deutsche Bahn Kursbuch though (only in German): http://kursbuch.bahn.de

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Turkey is one of the biggest tourist destinations on the Med. As long as you don't intend to go to the Syrian border or to the Kurdish provinces, you'll be fine. You don't need to avoid Taksim Square in Istanbul unless a protest is happening. That's a good general rule of thumb: if you're in a foreign country keep away from protests unless you know what you're doing.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

freebooter posted:

Who the hell are you people flying non-budget airlines within Europe? :psyduck:
You do realize that low cost carriers don't serve every route in Europe? And that legacy carriers might offer the same price, or be even cheaper, and/or more convenient depending on where and when you have to go?

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Just some quick examples:

Berlin-Istanbul. Your options are Pegasus (low cost carrier, flying from Schönefeld to Sabiha Gökcen), Lufthansa (from Tegel to Atatürk, possibly via Frankfurt or Munich), and Turkish (from Tegel, direct). Pegasus might be 50-100 EUR cheaper but flies at lovely hours (arrive at Sabiha Gökcen in the middle of the night) while both Lufthansa and Turkish fly several times a day at reasonable hours and serve Atatürk airport which is infinitely better located if you want to be on the European side.

Berlin-Lisbon for the weekend 13-15 November. easyJet doesn't fly that route on 13 November, so you would have to do 12-15 November. Price for that is 140 EUR right now. TAP flies 13-15 November, cheapest price is 147 EUR.

Berlin-Belgrade. No low cost carriers available, only options are Lufthansa/Austrian (via Frankfurt/Vienna/Munich) and Air Serbia (direct but not daily).

etc. That's just a few examples from Berlin which is fairly well connected. If your airport is small or medium sized (the likes of say Nuremberg, Bologna, Krakow...) you don't have a lot of options unless you want to go to London exclusively. And even going to London I'll gladly pay a few EUR extra to fly into City airport instead of Stansted.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Hadlock posted:

Maybe it's just me but I would take a 4 hr train (or 20 minute flight?) to frankfurt and call it a day. 3 hrs by train to save $600 sounds like a deal to me.
Double my travel time to save absolutely nothing in terms of money? Doesn't make sense. Trust me, if it made any economical sense to fly out of Frankfurt or wherever I would, but it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Chinatown posted:

Sitting on Tegel airport and loving lol this place is tiny. Berlin was cool + good.
Pro-tip: Tegel is the best airport to fly out of. If your flight is from the central terminal and you don't have luggage to check you can arrive like 15 min prior to departure since it's literally 10m from the curb to the gate. Tegel - an airport, not a shopping mall.