Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Just to get this out of the way first because for whatver reasons, and I'm not saying you have, but quite a few Americans seem to have a bit of a difficulty with the Netherlands and Denmark. You know that Amsterdam is in the Netherlands and not in Denmark right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Frankfurt and Heidelberg are, at most, day-trip territory. I would only stay in Frankfurt for a night for jetlag reasons. Hamburg is nice enough and you can totally do 1-2 days there (I would go there just for this. If you take the ICE from Berlin it's just a 90 minutes trip.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Nosaj posted:

Alright, geuss I'll just man the gently caress up and learn how to use the underground. We're only there 4 days and thought we could get away with taxis but they do seem to be expensive. So oyster card and a good map of the underground it is. Thanks.

Using the tube is easy. If my 60 year old mum who doesn't speak a word of english can get around London all by herself without a problem, you can too.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
My brother is an idiot. He has a few days off in october and wants to got to London. He lives 10 minutes from an airport with daily air berlin conections to London. That's a max of 3 hours from couch to central london. What does he do? Books a bus tour (at least 10 hours).

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Cultural Imperial posted:

Can he choose another airline that flies into London City Airport? It's a pain in the rear end to travel to Stansted. I'd recommend the Tower of London and the British Museum.

From our local airport? No. I've done the Stansted thing a few times and it's not that bad. I can live with the Stansted Express when on the other end I can leave home half an hour before boarding and still make my flight.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

LordWeird posted:

EDIT: Mostly I'm worried about communication. Will we be able to muddle through with English and a phrasebook alright?

Anyone under 40 should at least be able to hold a simple conversation.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Ziir posted:

Any ideas? Some kind of snacks, spices, herbs, etc? It must be factory sealed as I don't think they can send it otherwise. It can't be chocolate or any candy that can melt because my parents live in the desert and it'll probably melt before it even leaves the city.

Ranch Dressing?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Argue posted:

I may be going to Zurich around January or February. I've seen the city before, though, so I'm wondering what else I could do the next time. I don't want to fly halfway around the world and stay there for only two days, so if I extend to a week, I should have maybe 4 days of free time. What can I do in that amount of time? I'll be by myself, so I'm probably not going to be inclined to do things you'd normally do with friends.

Is that enough time to see some of Europe outside of Switzerland? Can anyone suggest a decent plan for someone with a Schengen Visa and 3 or 4 free days? I've got a decent budget (for a third-world office worker anyway), although I'd like to travel light and carry as little solid cash as I can, if ever.

If that's not feasible, maybe someone can suggest activities in and around Zurich/Switzerland?

Do you have to fly out of Zurich? The weather in most of northern/central Europe will be poo poo around that time, so my advice would be Italy or Spain, but you can expect rain and cold weather there as well.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Personally I would fly into London stay there for a few days and decide from there what to do and where to go. If you are with your significant other and are looking for something romantic for example, you can't go wrong with german christmas markets. London - Nuremberg with airberlin would be a good choice for that. From there a short budget airline trip to Rome, then Rome back to London and back home.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I did a bit of canyoning and whitewater rafting near Salzburg. If that sort of thing is your cup of tea, I highly recommend trying it there.

http://www.rafting.at

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

bobthecheese posted:

Buying a vehicle
We're buying in Germany. From everything I have read, this is a good idea because older camper vans and the like are much, much, cheaper there. We can also use my partner's relo's address for registration/insurance, so that should be fine. What I'm not certain about, though, is the budget. We're thinking 3000-4000 EUR for a van, which should be roadworthy-ish? Are we entirely insane?

Check mobile.de and autoscout24.de for price points. You just have to make sure that the van still has TÜV

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Saladman posted:

If you're travelling with a family, then renting a car will be far cheaper than trains. A good general rule of thumb is: trains are cheaper than cars for 1 person, break-even is 2 people, and cheaper at 3 people.

If he starts in germany, he should check rental contracts. Most rental agencies have restrictions or refuse a rental if you want to travel to eastern europe.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
On the other hand, I can't stand people that use large bags for their carry ons and try to stuff everything into the overhead compartments, just because they can't be arsed to check their bags. I get the travel light thing and that is a ok with me, but you are not alone on the plane and other people might want to use a tiny bit of space too.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I'm going to barcelona for 4 days, and Madrid for 2.

At least for barcelona, I was thinking:
Familia Sangrada, quell park, Las ramblas, a beach (or maybe Lloret de Mar), montserrat. Any other recommendations for things to do in barcelona? My girlfriend really wants to see a flaminco show and a bullfight, but I hear that it's unpopular(read:hated) in Barcelona. Any thoughts of whether is worth it or not to see a bullfight in Barcelona? Also, any good recommendations for a beach or a club, as well as a flaminco show?

Maybe the Dali Museum in Figueres. I havent been there in about 20 years, but back then it was interesting even for 12 year old me.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

blinkeve1826 posted:

Also feasible would be getting one in Berlin, sometime between 1AM and 9AM Tuesday morning! :downs: I'd really like to get one here so I can take pictures my last day, and have one ready for the tour I'm taking my first day in Berlin (Tuesday, I get in Monday night/Tuesday morning after midnight, ugggggh).

If you buy in Berlin just go to a Saturn or Mediamarkt and get one of the cheap 50-60 Euro ones. They are all over the city. Last time I was there bought an Ixus at one close to Potsdamer Platz.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Farecoal posted:

Is it true that water systems (tap water) in most of Europe are really bad? Like so bad people in France usually drink wine over water? It doesn't seem true to me but I heard it from family members.

Tap water is more heavily regulated than bottled water around here (Germany).

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Chikimiki posted:

You get some protest marches in bigger cities by left-wing parties (mainly retirees and college kids) that can be quite impressive but are ultimately peaceful, and there really is no risk to your physical integrity, except maybe if you go to Athens right now;

*may not apply to Hamburg and/or Berlin

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Any particular reason why you want to visit Bonn and Frankfurt?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Have you really worked this through? I don't know your salary, but keep in mind that you will be at the mercy of exchange rates. Add to that, that you will most likely take a hit from transfering your monthly income to a german bank account. For a short term visit relying on atms should be fine, but if you live in the country, you'll need a german account and transfer fees can be a bitch.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

dug fin posted:

Preparing to move to Ireland from the US in two weeks. Looking for ways to solve the power situation in a sane way.

Anything that would require a transformer is not worth taking with you. Problem solved.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Sorbus posted:

I'm moving from Finland to Berlin to study business in HTW until February. Accommodation and such are taken care of, but I'd like to know if some cell phone operator is abowe others. I don't need much of minuters or sms, but a limitless data would be really handy.

Also, how expensive are internet connections?

As you'll be in Berlin for just a few months, your only option will be a pay as you go plan (even if you'd be here longer I would always go with a pre paid plan, gently caress 2 year contracts).

http://www.phone-guide-germany.com/overview-prepaid-plans-germany/4299/

I use blau.de:
calls 0.09 Euro
sms 0.09 Euro
data: 1 GB UMTS 9.90 Euro (> 1 GB same price, but max 56 kbit/s)

As far as Internet goes, I pay 35 € for 100 mbit down, 5 mbit up. You should look into your living situation and find out if it isn't provided. If it's not, it doesn't really make sense to order dsl, cable or what have you. Those usually come with a 1-2 year fixed contract and knowing customer service in this wasteland, you'll be long gone before anything really works anyway.
So, if it's not provided, you should again look at mobile solutions.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Limastock posted:

Ok, what soccer jersey do I need to buy at the airport gift shop to get harassed?

But seriously, thanks for the itinerary it sounds pretty much perfect and ill definitely be using it as a guide.

A short 20 minute detour: on the way to trafalgar square, cut through horse guards parade on your left (you'll know it when you see it) and make your way through St. James Park to Buckingham Palace. Look at the guards, try to flip off the queen, then turn around and follow the street to either Trafalgar Square or on the way there you can head up a few steps to your left, follow the street and end up at Picadilly Circus.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

sewersider posted:

Sorry if it's already been covered. I'm heading to Europe in January and I'm gonna get a credit card as a just in case. Is there any specific brand to avoid/go for or will visa/MasterCard be fine?

Mastercard/Visa are fine. Just make sure your card is chip and pin ready and you know your pin. If your bank does not offer cards with chips, ask them for your pin anyway. All credit cards have one and at least that way you can get money from an atm in europe.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

caberham posted:

Fun thread, I read the first ten pages and the last ten pages. I remember there use to be a thread called "ask me about Germany" but have trouble finding it (I do have archives).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3205129

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Hog Obituary posted:

Okay, I've got 2 full days left (i.e. sleeping 3 more nights) in Barcelona before I leave for Paris. I've done the main touristy things I care about - Montjuic, Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Picasso Museum, City History Museum, walked around Las Ramblas and Barri Gotic, and the Gothic Cathedral.

Anyone have suggestions on other things I should do? Are there any things I should see in the countryside? Day trip somewhere?

Dali Museum in Figueres?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

idontcare posted:

I'm going to London this Saturday and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I am going for a week with my friend and it's the first time either of us have been. We have a guide book that we plan on using to get around and see stuff, but I'm not entirely sure that is a good idea. We are staying in Trafalgar Square and right now the only things I know I want to go see are Westminster Abbey and the British museum. What are some other must-see things?

Your guide book will probably have the Imperial War Museum as a major attraction, just so you know, that is closed at the moment. Another tipp, if you are thinking about buying a travel card, make sure you buy one from a national rail counter (from a train station, not from an underground station). With that and a printed voucher from http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london you get 2 for 1 entry to lots of attractions. You save around £20 alone on the entry to the tower that way.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Mr.AARP posted:

What's the average price just for the sim card? I'll be going from England to France, the Netherlands, Czech Republic, and Germany. That's a lot of sim cards.

In germany, usually around 10 € with 10 € in credits.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I will not wear shorts during the workday, but I guess that is a given. I will however wear them on the weekend and after work (not in the evening when going out though). Hoewever, running shoes are for running, not for wearing them with white socks and shorts.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Pickpocket story: My brother got pickpocketed in Paris last week. We think it happened near the arc de triomphe and he was a bit careless having his wallet in his back pocket. Sure he is an idiot having all his cards, his id and drivers liscense in there to begin with, but having it in your back pocket is an easy mistake to make if you don't think about it all the time. He didn't feel a thing and it was a pain in the rear end to find a police station. In there no one spoke english (or german, but we didn't expect that anyway )or at least they pretended not to speak it. I know the french are supposed to be a bit stubborn when it comes to speaking languages, but come on, it's the champs elysees. There are millions of foreign tourists from all over the world right around the corner, at least one officer should be able to help you in english.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Of course he is, but thats the way it's done around here and if you're used to that, it's hard to switch. It's basically muscle memory.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I was in hamburg last weekend. The number of stag/hen parties was off the charts. Yes, we all know that one of you is getting married, now gently caress off and leave us alone. I'm not buying a shot/condome/candy/whatever from 40 different groups of costumed idiots.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

mediadave posted:

Next April I'm going on my honeymoon - well time is ticking down and haven't yet decided what to do. The primary idea was seattle and the west coast of America, but merely flying to the west coast is mega expensive, so maybe something closer to home (We're from the UK).

It's expensive but not mega expensive. If you shop around and are a bit flexible, flights from europe to SFA or LA can sometimes be found for around £400. Your best bets are often Air France or KLM. Check holidaypirates.com, they usually link to the best deals.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
To complicate things a bit, with a paper train ticket or travel card you can get 2for1 vouchers for many attractions, which is very much worth it. For example tickets for the tower for two adult are about £40 without discount and £20 with a voucher and a train ticket/travel card with national rail logo from the day you want to visit.
That comes with a catch though. Basically your travel card has to have a national rail logo, so travel cards bought at a london underground station are not ok, travel cards bought at a railway station are ok. Oyster cards however do not work.

elwood fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 10, 2014

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Depends on when you want to go, but £100 a night, should get you a 4* somewhere in zone 1 like the Millennium Gloucester Hotel, but you can get a good hotel for way less than that. A tip to save you some money: read this

elwood fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 21, 2014

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Anyone have recommendation for guided walking tours in florence? Half a day would be nice.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Pro tip for people visiting italy who, like myself, still enjoy sending postcards. If you buy cards and stamps in a tabacchi they will most likely not sell you real italian stamps, but stamps by a company called global postal service (gps), which means that a. you can't use a regular italian post box, but only black post boxes by that company, b. you paid more than regular stamps and c. it will take a long rear end time for your cards to arrive.

elwood fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 4, 2014

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Pablo Bluth posted:

(There's also the Imperial War Museum or the London Transport Museum if you want more cars, planes, tanks,..)

Isn't the IWM still closed?

TheEye posted:

I'm going on an unexpected trip to London in a couple weeks. It'll be my first time there, and I'm staying for 6 days.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm going to London in a few weeks as well, probably about time I started planning what the hell to do there! I also have six days...

Are both of you going alone? If not there is an easy way to get 2 for 1 vouchers for lots of attractions.

elwood fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 5, 2014

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Pablo Bluth posted:

The 2-for-1 option for certain attractions requires you to print off attraction-specific coupons from here in advance. When you arrive at London you need to buy a 7 day travel card.

For others who are going to london, you don't need a 7 day travel card, you just have to have a train ticket printed on national rail paper for the day you want to visit the tower/tower bridge or what have you.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

caberham posted:

Drat I guess I'm just really unlucky. I was here last year around late May and Stuttgart was really really cold. Like single digit and scArf weather.

It's germany, that means it's always scarf weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I guess I lucked out when I arrived in Berlin in mid-August; it never got hotter than 26.

I didn't mean that the weather requires scarves, just that a lot of people (read: women) wear them all the time no matter what.

eh, I think I need to go to sleep, I totally read that wrong

elwood fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 22, 2014