Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

dirtycajun posted:

Is this the right place to ask with help fixing amplifier problems in a vintage earth?

Might do, might be able to at least point you in the right direction if you give a description.

I have an old Sano gs15R. Lovely EL84 based tube amp, built in spring reverb and a nice tremolo effect. Sparkles great clean and crunches wonderfully in response to my pedals. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

Could anyone recommend a practice amp? I've been playing through a podXT with headphones all this time because of noise concerns, but now that I've moved I want to be able to play loud again. I don't need anything super huge, just one that's loud enough for a room and has a good distortion/metal tone that's anywhere around $100-300.

I know that someone around here has the Yamaha THR10X which is right at 300 and really likes it. Another person recommends the one-watt Blackstar combo, though you'd probably need a decent high-gain pedal to accomplish that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bread Dragon posted:

Buy this immediately.

Literally the worst thing that happens (assuming it is in fact in proper working order) is that it's too goddamn loud.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's really more The Thing That Will Happen, isn't it? :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

From what I understand (heard from a guy I trust) they're not bad circuits, and they are hand made (in China). So they're not terrible but there are some corners cut to hit the price point. About what you'd expect, really.

As with every amp give it a shot. Find one in person or deal with a place that does easy returns.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

After The War posted:

Series may have exasperated the problem, killing both where you might have lost just one. Leo went parallel from the beginning (or at least from the Bassman on), figuring that way you could still finish a set if you blew a speaker onstage.

I don't think running at 16 ohms would have caused a problem, but Twins are supposed to be happiest at 4.

Why does so much of Leo Fender's stuff follow a theme of "oh, X broke? well okay it's not totally screwed/it's easy to replace"?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I haven't done much with an FX loop either. Hell my main amp doesn't have one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I got my amp back with its nice new tubes and it has a killer tone, like god drat, but it has a really bad 60hz hum and I guess I need to take it back and complain. I'm pretty sure it's related to the tremolo circuit because sometimes it pulses with a speed in line with the speed on that circuit.

I don't wanna take it back again though :saddowns:

e: But holy mother gently caress the TONEZ

e2: Nevermind, it all seems to have been fixed by popping all the tubes out and giving their sockets a good canned air fwooshing :hellyeah:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 5, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

So was busing my head with a eurotubes bias probe and the 1st slot tube doesn't give me a reading.

Also it doesn't seem to get as hot as the other tubes and doesn't get that blue how going.

I tried different tubes in the slot and the same thing happens in that same socket, is this a faulty socket? It does light the tube up just not as significant as the others nor that blue hue

Just spitballing because I don't know what amp you got, but are they all the same type of tube and the same function? It might just be doing a different thing. Also try cleaning the socket, tube sockets do get dirty and it makes weird things happen.

e: Although remember that amp voltages are screwy as gently caress and you miiiiiight wanna have someone else do that because it can hurt you pretty badly if you screw it up.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The VHT Special 6 is pretty decent but since it doesn't have built in reverb, you will want to get yourself a decent reverb pedal if you don't have one already.

I'm really liking my impulsed on sale THR 5 v2 though, it's a great reasonably quiet thing. I can plug headphones in or have just a low volume while doing other stuff and it's pretty versatile. Also IDed my mystery tube and replaced it, now I just need my little bit of contact cleaner for my old tube combo to get here and I should finish getting its noise down to much nicer levels. I never owned a tube amp until about a year ago and I'm learning stuff about them :kiddo: it's real good though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A decently built rat clone should get you pretty far too.

e: And yeah tube screamers are an old saw for a reason they're very solid things, use 'em if ya got 'em

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 31, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

So there are approximately a million hybrid low wattage dirt heads such as the Micro Terror,. are there any fender-style clean heads? I am not precious as for solid state or hybrid.

I've heard decent things about the cleans on the VHT Special 6 head. If you can check one out try it. They're about $200 USD. Looks a lot like they took the Champ circuit and added a tone knob and a gain boost you access with a push/pull pot or footswitch.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I have heard a similar sound on two occasions, for two different reasons:

1) A crappy tube. Electro harmonix :argh:

2) A wonked out ground connection. In this case it was totally disconnected and so it was basically the peak of your noise but all the time.

Given that it's only when a cable is plugged in and occurs with every cable I'd suspect that the jack's ground has a not great joint on one end or the other. Your options are to exchange it, take it to a pro, or do some DIY. I'd exchange it at this point since it's the cheapest and easiest option.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Amplug is pretty much the easiest option for just plugging into headphones. Figure out the one you want, spend $40 on it. Boom. It's not ~*amazing*~ but it's very serviceable when all you want is to practice quietly. I use the headphone out on my THR but that requires you to always be near an outlet unless you want to gently caress around with the 8 AA batteries :catstare:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Really good high-gain amps. Sound great, built like tanks. They can do cleans pretty well too.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah the Mark I started with Frankensteining a Princeton and a Bassman together.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tracking down little components that go pop is pretty tedious in any amp unless it does so dramatically enough. The more complicated the amp obviously the more complicated it becomes but still.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm pretty sure Steve's head should be on his shoulders.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I successfully built a 5f1 Champ clone into an old solid state amp :toot: I just need to switch the speaker out because as it happens, the chinese-made speaker one comes in can't exactly handle the low end output and it makes a horrible noise if you get too much power on a lower note, a phenemenon that does not occur with the Eminence on my older tube amp. I'll post some pictures later on once I pop the whole thing back apart to put a speaker in.

If anyone else is interested in doing that, my advice is, well... don't. The whole way the the chassis is built does not cooperate very well with the various things you need to mount in there. Just find a fresh chassis that fits and go from there.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

jwh posted:

I had a video, but it looks like I deleted it off my phone. I'll make another one once the headshell and cab come in. I'm loading it with a fairly low end Jensen C12R, which should be a good complement.

5Y3 contributes a certain sound, yes, though most of the tone comes from driving the phase inverter very hard into saturation and cutoff. And because it's an unbalanced phase inverter, it's a little rough around the edges, tonally. It's not a clean amp at all, the dirt shows up (and most of the volume, too) at around 2-3 on the volume control. After that, it's just dirtier.

If you want to get into building amplifiers, I'd recommend Merlin Blencowe's "Designing Guitar and Bass Preamplifiers," and Robert Megantz' "Design and Construction of Tube Amplifiers". I have a ton of books, and those are the two that I routinely come back to.

Seconding Megantz. It does assume you know a decent amount about electronics such as what band filters, voltage dividers, etc are but those are relatively simple things.

I'm in the process of redoing a 5F1 Champ clone I built to have a nice treble/mid/bass tone stack available with a toggle so I can still have the one-knob operation if I feel like it. I don't think I will, but maybe :v: My Greenlee punch set should get here today and a nice clean unpunched chassis like I should have used last time (plus the electronics for the tones tack) some time next week. At that point I'll tear everything back out of the old combo chassis, replace the speaker with also a fairly low end Jensen (C10Q in this case) that I anticipate should fairly nicely but is guaranteed an improvement over the Chinese made one in there now, and rebuild it with better routing and a chassis that doesn't pretty much force me to put the transformers and tubes in a less than optimal place. I'll probably figure out a headshell after that too, maybe ask my friend who likes woodworking stuff if he wants to join me in my madness.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

jwh posted:

I've been trying to track down a Greenlee IEC power socket punch for almost forever, and, worse still, when I do seem to find one, they're several hundred(?) dollars.

All of my chassis work is normally done on a drill press with a step bit, though, in some cases, I end up having to use fairly weird and esoteric bits- such as an 11/16ths bit for the pilot lamp assembly.

I think the biggest problem with adding a more comprehensive tone stack to a champ is figuring out where to mount the pots! Good luck.

Hence the fresh new chassis with space for 'em ;)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Check the impedance, there's no other way besides possibly blowing speakers. You're just checking a number. If you're worried you can come back and tell us the number and we'll say if it's okay.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I successfully transplanted the Champ and added a 3-band tone stack. Sounds pretty good and the Jensen C10Q is a pretty good match.

I was originally gonna have a switch turn the tone stack on and off but then realized that this requires me to either have a second volume pot for that or have it be separate from the volume and always max. I did have a spare pot around that would have worked but in the end decided that one knob operation is kinda pretty loving dumb so I just took the switch out and that's what that little bit of electrical tape in the front is covering. Also I forgot to get proper fasteners to attach the chassis cover so it's also held on with electrical tape so that the plate and chassis actually stay together so I don't misplace the loving plate before I get the fasteners.

Actually removing the old speaker from that cabinet was the hardest part because the nuts were sort of epoxied on there so I had to slowly twist them to break past where the epoxy was and also there was some corrosion and it was a pain in my butt.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's a new production, and I went standard Fender tone stack wiring. The whole set up has a nice slightly compressed clean tone to my ears.

E: supposedly the speaker will break in and sound ~very vintage~ according to internet bluesdads but even now it sounds pretty good

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 28, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ordered up a bunch of the components for my next project! Still need to budget the ludicrously expensive transformers :emo: fuckers tend to cost about as much as the entire rest of your build combined. Probably going for a buffered effects loop from ironsounds, it's not too expensive for an unassembled board and parts and has pretty good reviews across the internet. I could also just do a tube loop but there is basically no compelling reason to do tube loops since the only real advantage there is that they Aren't Solid State but hey guess what you're plugging into the effects loop anyway :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

jwh posted:

Transformers are the killer, yep. If I was a little smarter, I'd be rehabilitating old transformers from amps scrounged off Craigslist, but, I'm not there yet. Plus I don't know of a reliable way of determining current capabilities of the B+ winding without possibly burning something up.

As for effects loops, I haven't built an amp that uses one yet, but I was thinking of building a simple, passive loop, in the style of a Matamp GT40 effects loop- it looks dead simple, as it's just two 1/4" jacks, one being a break switch, and I don't particularly care if it has loss. Although, the current schematic I drew up has a spare side of a 12AT7, which I could maybe use as a cathode follower to buffer the effects send.

Yeah I dunno a good non pain way and also I would rather just buy one I already know is what I want because I could look at the specs sheet. For now I'm using the mod loop because from all research I have done a tube effects loop is noisier and all you really want an effects loop to do is take the signal from the preamp and throw it to the pedals with as little mucking about with it as possible so noise is a bad thing :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Running your transformers close to max does have effects on your sound, you typically get a somewhat broader frequency response when your amp delivers a fair bit shy of your OT's rated power. Not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing in either direction, it's all whatever you're into.

As for the ~*brown sound*~, my very scientific and very professional opinion is who the gently caress cares don't try to be eddie van halen try to be you instead.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

muike posted:

Speaking of speakers, anyone try Swamp Thangs?

Not that one, but I like the Legend 1258 I have and have played amps with the Cannabis Rex in them and those are very good. Eminence does good stuff without being as expensive as some others.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hedningen posted:

Just finished building my first tube amp. Mojotone Tweed Champ - I heard it was an easy start and recommended by the Chicago School of Guitarmaking as a good beginner's tube combo to build. Still dealing with a bit of hum, but the removable back panel is unshielded, so I figure that'll take some of the hum out. If not, then debugging is in order.

Now, onto the next build - working with a friend to help him build an 18W Marshall clone. It was really helpful to remind myself how to work with circuit diagrams and solder, so this should be a fun little project, plus now I've got a small amp for practice.

Not sure about the Mojotone directions, but make sure you scraped down a tiny bit of powder coating or whatever it is on the back of the pots before you soldered. Pots nowadays have a coating on them that you can sort of get solder to stick to but it won't actually be a good connection and makes for hum since the ground connection is lovely to nonexistent.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Maybe try the x-setup with a boss NS-2? You can probably get one from Sweetwater or similar and just return it if it doesn't solve the problem.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah if you could get the industry to just take a measured response from a standard mic at standard distance across range of frequencies you'd have a good but hard to use thing because it would be a graph.

And graphs aren't rock man :colbert:

(I would love such a graph to be standard tho)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I've got a noise gate coming in today so I'll report back and see how that goes.

Hopefully that works out for you. I've heard reports that they can have some effect on the ~tonez~ so hopefully that doesn't kill what you like about your setup!

Probably it won't, because having a gate before the amp and in the effects loop is a very common thing in metal now and is pretty much the foundation of super tight rhythm at this point.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 23, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

muike posted:

That seems like a great great set of features for a beginner amp except for maybe the wireless(?? why) and it seems like that's who the video's targeted at.

Sometimes I think modelling amps like that are the worst thing for beginners just because it's so overwhelming and can easily confuse a newbie and make them wonder why everything they do sounds like rear end

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

On the other side of things I'm having a very hard time convincing myself to not just run giggling to Sweetwater to buy a Mesa Rect-o-verb combo come tax refund season

e: Or maybe an express 5 25

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 1, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Fair point - I guess all those failed 'blind tests' would imply something to it.

I got a tax refund also, which would JUST about pay for a Mesa Mk.V:25 but the heart in me is fighting with the mind (either a) don't need another amp or b) a kemper/axe/bias would make sense)

EDIT: OH GOD MAKE ME STOP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6WCpCke-U0

Only 1hr round-trip to a place with a full stock of Friedmans :happy/sad:

Well I've convinced myself that at most I should run off to Reverb instead because it saves like $300 and if I hate it the used prices are fairly stable

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

i have the earlier incarnation of the rectoverb; channel 1 on the pushed setting is much more marshally, especially with a boost or tubescreamer

it works surprisingly well with ch1 as the gain and ch2 on vintage as the clean

those amps are ridiculously versatile, it sucks the clean/pushed and vintage/modern settings aren't footswitchable since it'd effectively turn it into a 4 channel amp

YOU AREN'T HELPING

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

SRV used a steel string singer but tbh he probably bought it off a crackhead or something given how broke he was for most of his life

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

If you will look it sold almost immediately

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah the first thing I check with noise issues is lovely ground or similar connections.

My old combo has some background hum that I learned to live with since it's a confusing mess of mods that I don't feel like loving with. Like the eq clearly started out as a two-band Baxandall type but there's a hilarious mess of RC circuits that just aren't there on a normal circuit and I just looked at it and said "yeah I don't feel like squinting at the printing from up to 40 years ago to figure out what values any of you are" and so it has stayed there. It sounds good when I start playing anyway so :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tbh I really like and am happy with my setup right now

It's just that somewhere in me is still the teenage dork who wants a Mesa recto