Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

bisticles posted:

I think the double-negatives cancel each other out and you're saying that every day you regret buying it? I thought those Spider Valve amps got pretty good reviews. I saw a hard rock band gigging with one, and was pretty impressed with the sounds the guitarist was getting with it.

The first generation of SV's were kind of weak, in my opinion, but the MK2's are really fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I want the new SuperSonic 22 SO BAD. I really dug the old SuperSonic but 60w is too much for what I need.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

There's a sweet 6505+ 1x12 now. Still heavy as gently caress but much more manageable than the 2x12 and it has the nice dual-EQ frontend of the plus.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Ampeg VT-120. Any good?

There's one in pretty nice shape at the local GC for $450. I couldn't quite wrap my head around what each channel did and what the relation was with the other channels, but I could tell there were some cool tones in there. Could get some seriously heavy sounding poo poo.

Has a half-power switch (to 60 from *120w* good loving lord) a triode/pentode switch, triple channel, reverb, footswitch...should I get it?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Dirtyhat posted:

I need mine repaired badly :(

That's the thing giving me pause more than anything else - it looks like it's pretty unreliable.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I wanted to love the 6505 112 so much, but it was just too big, too loud, and nowhere near as versatile as I wanted. It doesn't have a clean tone at all.

I ended up getting a Mesa F30 1x12, and couldn't be happier.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I checked out all the little combos and settled on a used Mesa F30. It's more like 22w, but I was looking for something that could do clean, crunch, and a more modern high-gain tone and that's the only thing in the price range that I felt could. It sounds real nice at low volumes, too.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

If you want it gone and are fine with selling it under market value the Craigslist hordes will probably buy it off you in a day.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I never realized that Fractal's AX8 is only $1,300. That's insane. These stupid modeling amps need to stop tempting me every 3 months!

I think the Helix @ $1499 is the best deal of them all.

peter gabriel posted:

He's the oldest edgelord on the net, he really tries a bit too hard. He seems to know his stuff but the impenetrable wall of zany attitude puts me off

The video where he ends the Spider V 30 review by smashing it is the dumbest poo poo. I don't even think he knows his stuff, he just has a schtick that the kinds of folks who don't create anything musically but can tell you exactly why X piece of gear sucks lap up.

He's a loving jagoff.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 10, 2016

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Wark Say posted:

So, since this year I'm returning as a hired gun for the same "camp" that I worked with last year, I wanna make things easier for everybody; and while I do plan to take my old analog rig on the US/Canada run, it's very likely that we're gonna do an overseas leg and if I get saddled with the same ol' pain-in-the-butt Tour Manager, I'd rather preemptively be buddy-buddy with him by throwing together an Amp Modeler + Power-amp and just use one of my Voodoo Lab controllers to switch patches and stuff. I do have a POD HD Pedalboard (the old 2010 POD HD500), but I'm wondering if that's gonna cut it.

I read somewhere that the guys from both Fractal and the guys who did the Eleven Rack both came out with pedalboard versions of their main modelers for way cheaper than the rack versions. Has anyone tried those?

Why buy something extra and expensive if you already own something that'll do the job? The HD500 is a little long in the tooth compared to an AX8 or Helix but it'll definitely work if you spend some time dialing it in. Use that plugged into the FX return of whatever backline amp you can rent and you'll be fine!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The Muppets On PCP posted:

seriously disappointed this wasn't glenn fricker

this motherfucker led me on a futile path towards seeing if you can mute someone on youtube

gently caress glenn fricker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, here we're golden. I do see a lot of my local buddies play with Line 6 Spiders, though.

The Spider V is really good and full of features (although you lose some stuff below the 1x12" combo.)

I had been planning on getting a Spider V 112 but the expense of the full rig (amp + floorboard) is significantly more than the Katana 100 and it's not like I'm going to NOT get the wireless if I got a Spider V. I really like all the features and functionality of the the Spider but the Katana sounds great too, simpler, and cheaper. Still trying to decide...