Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

I'm really excited about the new Mustang V-6. I would like to buy one new, with the performance package. I can't afford one now, but it is the first performance car that I've really wanted and actually have the chance to afford.

I don't really have anything more to add. I just wanted to share my raging boner for a Mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Man In The Boat posted:

This is the first time a Ford has been my semi-attainable dream car. I think the styling, the least extreme and faux-retro of the muscle cars, is sexy without looking cartoonish. I have sat in competitors, and it seems like you're in a bunker.

Agree. I admit the Camaro is beautiful to look at from the outside.

But from the inside? It is actually really reminiscent of my grandfather's old Chrysler 300. He had an incredibly decked out one with a Hemi some years ago, and it was both comfortable and very fast. But I could not stand to drive it because you just could not see out of the drat thing. The Camaro is even worse in that regard, in fact, I have a hard time thinking of any card that is harder to see out of.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

I like Grabber blue as well. I hope they come out with a yellow or orange sometime in the future.

I think it is very much a Ford thing. Not just in the States, but in Europe as well. There is something that I find very cool about a fast Ford in a crazy color. I think it might be because it is one of the few ways to purchase a truly outlandish car without buying a supercar.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Powershift posted:

yellow blaze metallic tri-coat is available this year, it's another color that looks much better in person. the wide range of colors it shows up as in photography really demonstrates it.

it's the same yellow on the new fiesta.

I actually saw that color on a Fiesta at a auto show. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not. It has a nice shimmer to it as lighting conditions change, but it seemed to lack real punch.

With that said, the lighting at the show as kind of poo poo (it was Portland, our auto show is absolute crap) and it might look different in real sunlight.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Adjusted for inflation, the 2011 Mustang V6 costs about $500 more than did the 2001 Ford Focus SVT. I find that rather amazing.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

I've actually found myself thinking that one of the advantages to the V6 Mustang is that it is relatively light. That's just weird, but its true. Most cars of this size are between 3400-3800 pounds.

Despite what people say, they're probably just going to get heavier, because IIRC there are new rollover and side impact tests being commonly used (the one that slams a car into a pole sideways).

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

I'll take my Boss with polka-dots please.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I'm not exactly a "car guy," but can someone explain to me where the idea that a live rear axle is dangerous comes from? What dangerous situation can it create?

Jeremy Clarkson doesn't like it, that's all you need to know.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

frozenphil posted:

It's complete and utter bullshit made into an issue by loudmouths posting their trouble on every message board they can.

Seriously, out of all the manual transmission Mustangs made there have been less than a half dozen reports of problems. If you're scared of chances that slim then I don't know how you manage to walk out of your house every morning.

Is it really that hard to do you own research before posting?

The NHSTA database is at 80 complaints for the 2011 model and 13 for the 2012. Note these are complaints exclusively about the manual transmission.

There's also a poll on the All Ford Mustang forums which indicates that 107 people are having issues with their manual transmission, which is 30.66% of the people who voted in that poll.

Another poll on that forum, which deals with the MT82 exclusively, has 80 people answering that they've had minor issues and 31 people answering that they've had major issues.

In addition to all of this, Ford has not been able to resolve the problem. It's not as if people with this issue are going in to dealerships and coming out with their cars fixed. They're going in to dealerships and being told that there is no solution at this time.

Clearly there is a problem. Anyone who is thinking of buying a Mustang right now needs to head in to it with the knowledge that manual transmission issues could be a part of their ownership experience.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

PT6A posted:

Provide context. What is the average for similar cars per unit sold?

Sorry but I'm not going to do a vast amount of research when anyone can just go and look at the complaints themselves. It's all on safercar.gov

But the 2011 Camaro currently has two manual transmission complaints filed.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

frozenphil posted:

So now I have to prove your point of view? I guess I missed out on how to present an argument since I never went to debate class. :(

I'm asking you to make an effort. I already provided you with some facts, directed you to where you can go to find more information, and disproved your original statement.

frozenphil posted:

there have been less than a half dozen reports of problems.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Is there any particular reason why I would want a 2013 Mustang V6 instead of a 2012?

So far as I can tell they're basically the same, looks aside. There are a few manual base and base with performance pack 2012 cars still in my area, and I'm thinking about buying one. The Ford website suggests they're throwing a $3250 on the hood of the 2012 model in my area.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

It's pretty hard to read, but there's mention of IRS, a 200-pound weight drop, bigger brakes for the GT. Interestingly, there's only mention of 2.3 and 5.0, nothing about the V6. But that section is also talking about Performance Package options, so I guess it's possible there is a V6, but it won't be offered with a performance pack.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

3100-3200 is a fantasy. I would not be surprised if the weight loss ends up far short of the rumored 200 lbs.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

blargle posted:

Anyone familiar with X-Plan able to help me understand this pricing? 26k for a GT doesn't seem right, unless I'm reading this wrong:

It's right. I purchased a base V6 for 18,500, no X-Plan. I also noticed a dealer advertising a base V8 for 27k, though that one appears to be sold now.

The real challenge with finding that deal on the V8 will be finding a base model, though. They're less common the base V6 models, which are use as ad specials to get people in the door. The Ford dealers are running at over 100 days of inventory now, and it's winter, and a new model is on the way, so the deck is stacked in your favor...if you can find what you want on a dealer's lot.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Indecision1991 posted:

Do you guys think the 2.3L turbo for the 2015 year is going to bring in new mustang fans? What do you guys think of the 2.3 in a mustang? I have discussed it with some car friends and their consensus is that its not a mustang unless it has a GT tag and that V8. I am interested in the 2.3 but wont lie that the V8 is very tempting.

It's fine to say you wouldn't want a Mustang unless it's a V8, but defeatist to say a Mustang shouldn't be anything but a V8.

I think the 2.3 will be a hell of a car. It should perform a bit better than the V6 and will also deliver the broad torque band lacking in the V6. Plus it'll be really easy to tune, if you're into that sort of thing.

However, I do have reservations about reliability, as Ford's had a lot of complaints about its EcoBoost engines in certain models. It'd be best to wait a couple years after release to see how it works out.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Strano has a sale

On-car adjustable :fap:

I saw that sale. Almost made be bite. I don't think I'll jump on it yet though.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Fucknag posted:

The '15s almost assuredly will be marked up across the board, at least right when they first come out. Gotta squeeze those must-have-it-now folks for every penny.

Yep. Nissan Jukes and Honda Fits were marked up at release. You can bet your rear end the Mustangs will be.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Indecision1991 posted:

You guys are right in terms of markup but I am sure if I am stern I will get what I want. Especially if I go in with down payment in cash and a car as a trade in. At least it'll help me negotiate better.

You sound like you've made up your mind and are looking for justification more than advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

I'd just walk away from it for awhile man, you sound too emotionally invested. A dealer will see you coming and bend you over the desk.