Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been
Love this thread, I followed the other until its closing. I need to snap a shot of my dads 94 cobra convertible, It's the pace car cobra, w/56k miles on it, he keeps it in very good shape and is meticulous about it. I'll be respraying it for him this winter and applying a new set of stickers. It's not the fastest thing on the road (by far), but its fun to drive, made in low numbers 181 out of 1014 or something like that and he just likes it. We go to car shows together, he drive it and I take my 65 mercury comet cyclone (was going to make a thread but to lazy).

I'm going to be getting an 11 or 12 as soon as the start popping up on copart in good shape in a year or so. I just got rid of my 05 gt 5spd, so I'm totally anxious to find out how bad rear end this car is. The 05's + are awesome, solid cars. I've been building a lot of them and I can't do anything but speak volumes to their structural integrity, handling, etc. So this new one sounds loving phenomenal. I just got done fixing an 07 today where this 17 year old kid ramped it from one parking lot to a lower one doing a purported 60-70 mph. besides from a scrape or two on the bumper cover it only had bent radiator and condenser. 6 ft drop from lot to lot and there is enough space there to get up to that speed. I estimated it by the damage though to have been a 30mph jump, but who knows. It was hilarious. 2nd time I've had to fix it, other time was a quarter panel. Its also a v6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

frozenphil posted:

So, what happens when you put a Procharger F1C on a 2011 GT with a built engine and mild suspension work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtjVpBVbt8

Evolution's 2011 is getting ri-cock-ulous.

I was there. This is insane.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Omegaslast posted:

Made this video of my cousins 5.0 for a lovely video project.. for a PHOTO class. only video ive ever done, learned premier pro today basically. oh well turned out cool enough. watch in 720p since its 5d goodness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21l-gKiR7Qo

Dude, I am a die-hard mustang enthusiast, so, count me as a bit biased, but I felt a lot of emotion in this video. I think it would have made a good commercial for the car. Especially where you go from driving in a field to back on the street. The sound, the coolness of the car, and the shots you got. You got me man, I think I felt the same way my wife feels when she watches those sappy lovey chick flicks. You got me.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

scapulataf posted:

I remember that since it was followed by the usual linking at 5004567457 other car forums around the net. Wasn't it some internet detectives that tipped off the dealer?

Well that would be a dick move to make.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Mustangs are for cruising and picking up mostly guys, but sometimes ugly girls. No need to add shifting interfering with the mullet maintenance.

Wow, how could you?

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

frozenphil posted:

Here's what I'm saying regarding IRS in the Mustang in a nutshell. The average Mustang buyer is buying the v6. They want a sporty looking car that looks cool and is reliable, but above all, is cheap. They are never going to push their car hard enough on the street to find the limits of the solid axle. Adding an IRS to appease people who would never buy a Mustang anyway just raises the price for the majority of people who would buy a Mustang; likely turning them off of the car and toward the competition. It just doesn't make sense.

The other group of people who buy Mustangs with a v8 are vastly, vastly more likely to take their car to a drag strip than a road course. There isn't a single reason to use an IRS on the drag strip over a solid axle. None.

So tell me again, why in the world would Ford put a more expensive suspension in a car when the majority of potential owners aren't willing to pay the price premium for it, and the rest of the potential owners don't want it? I understand that magazine writers and people who feel the need to caress their dash to feel the supple plastic in their teutonic machines scoff at the idea of a live axle, but these people would never buy a Mustang in the first place. What does Ford have to gain by pandering to them?

I went from a 2002 subaru WRX to a 2005 mustang GT, both manual transmission, and I felt the mustang handled better. I took both cars to their limits and spun them both out a couple different times. I could go much, much faster in the gt and felt it was the better handler. Both were stock. Besides with the stock panhard bar and a watts linkage and the suspension kits from FRPP wouldn't you have a hell of a handler anyways?

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Killbot posted:

Clarkson loved one of the previous Roush Mustangs.

Yeah I'd love for TGUS to review the Boss. Tanner definitely needs to wring one out on the track.

That iteration of the show is terrible.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Or maybe I just don't like TV shows that aggressively spread ignorance on a subject where many people would be well served to be better informed.

If I remember that episode correctly, they drive the first generation 2007 GT500, Clarkson goes lol dumb American oxcart suspension, and at the end they throw in a drive of a Roush version that does the same lap in the same time. They never mention exactly how the Roush suspension was different, I guess Roush puts in springs, dampers and a Watt's linkage, but now the internet meme is that the Roush had IRS.

i just ment that the other show was at least entertaining, thats all.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

frozenphil posted:

ATTN Ford: The new 5.0 fits in the Ranger nicely. This is a good idea.

Ha this is like the modern version of mine. I can't believe how much it looks like it fit well, theres no telling what they had to do to get it to set in there. I had to trim the bottom of the fire wall a bit just for an old 5.0 and C4. I wonder what they did for motor mounts?

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The 5.7l Hemi in the Dodge Ram puts out more power than either the 3.5l turbo or the 5.0l, and gets mileage in between, only because it's still sitting in front of a 5 speed trans instead of the Ford's 6 speed. It is also substantially cheaper than either. GM's 6.2l engine is even more powerful than the Chrysler's 5.7 and gets the same fuel economy in the Silverado with the 6 speed as the 5.0l Ford, although I think you can only get it on the expensive top trim truck.

So gently caress your turbo this and turbo that. OHV V8s are where it's at. :colbert:

Chrysler still can't make a decent car to put their motors in, nor a transmission to put behind it. Moot point I say.

edit: your a drat liar too, I just looked it up and 388hp for the 5.7 "hemi" is not more than the ~412hp the new 5.0 makes. Unless your talking about the truck 5.0, which if so, who cares about trucks?

goodfuldead fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 7, 2011

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Q_res posted:

Did you miss the entire conversation about the F150s engine that lead up to that comment?

Yes I did, and I apologize to all parties.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

My dad rocks a 1994 cobra pace car that in really great shape with 59k miles, I know he wouldn't entertain anything less than 20k. He just loves his car and takes very good care of it, and to him its worth that, and if someone every wants it bad enough it'll be worth what they pay, that's just how it is sometimes.

He has no intention of selling ever. He's had it since I think 99 or 00.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Is an '07 GT a terrible idea for a daily driver? Doing 80 - 200km/day. Canadian winters included. Will it disintegrate around me within 6 months?

Solid cars. It'll be fine. I mean it was designed to be driven.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Did the 4.6 ever even come with a T5? From what I understand when the switch was made to 4.6 from the 5.0 the t5 was dropped for a different transmission (T45?) and Then again changed in like 2002 and then again in 2005 and then again with the switch to the 5.0. Anyone know whats up?

edit: wiki had this

Tremec or Borg-Warner transmissions

Borg-Warner T-5 transmission – Ford Sierra; 1983–1995 Ford Mustang; 2005–2009 Mustang V6
Tremec T-45 transmission – 1996–1999 Mustang Cobra, 1996–2000 Mustang GT
Tremec T-56 transmission – 2000 Cobra R and 2003–2004 Mustang Cobra
Tremec TR-3650 transmission – 2001–2007 Mustang GT
Tremec TR-6060 transmission – 2007–present Ford Shelby GT500

goodfuldead fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 13, 2013

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Man this is nuts. I had the same Autolite battery in 65 comet for 10 years before I finally had to replace it. The new one has been in there about six years now going strong. With an electronic ignition.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Scob posted:

They are the same wheel its just broken down into different generations of mustangs so people dont get confused and question how a wheel for a different style car would fit theirs as well. Basically just idiot prevention.

Not true for the new gens. I owned a 2005 gt for about a year and a half. I rebuild mustangs/all fords/ anything for money (insurance work, rebuild wrecks to sell, etc). Any way, I had some bullit wheels from an 04 and they would not fit my 2005 unless I shaved the brake caliper. I did not do this. I just about some take off wheels from when they make shelbys and roushe's with brand new pirilli's on them shipped to me for 350 dollars. yes, brand new 05+ bullit wheels plus pirilli pzero nero stock tires with probably less than 3 miles on them. I'll give you the contact I had to get the wheels because I'm no longer building mustangs (I"m making bank on fiesta's right now, so easy to fix I can crank out one a week)

Tom Daly
Diversified Marketing Solutions, Inc.
4705 Clubview Drive .
Fort Wayne, IN 46804 USA

Toll Free: (800)995-4003 ext. 6506
Voice: (260)469-6506
Fax: (260)469-6555

That is the contact information to the man with take offs if he still does it. You could get some lets say 2012/2013 gt premium wheels with new tires for under 500 I'd say.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Scob posted:

Thats fine but the rims he linked are the exact same rim. I have personally switched 17" cobra r rims back and forth between my cobra and an 08 gt, they fit fine. Perhaps the 04 bullitt rims you switched didnt fit, and if they were ford bullitts they might not have ive never messed with a bullitt rim from that year, but the brakes on the 05-10 gts arent larger then the new edge or s95 cobras/bullitts/mach 1s the rotor is.

I did some research on it up and apparently the 17" Bullitt wheels require a spacer.

They don't require a spacer unless they're from an 04 below. 05+ require nothing on an 05+ car. Other rims may very well fit with out problem, as all I have dealt with swapping were the bullit rims. I usually leave stock ones on for resale, but that was a personal car and I wanted different colored rims than it came with. When it comes to bullits get 05+ for s197.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Faded Mars posted:

Ok. I've definitely decided not to pursue this one.

This thread really is a great resource. Thanks everyone. Saved on thousands of dollars worth of repairs I don't want to make in the first place!

I don't think an old car is for you. I've owned a lot of old fords and let me tell you, you will have to work on them. You will find rust on even the most spotless examples that will need to be repaired every few years. I'm not exaggerating. I'm not saying that they rust into nothing if left unchecked, but no matter what you do, there will always be rust loving up paint, especially if you wash it regularly. Old cars are fun if you like WORKING on old cars. If you would rather drive your car and enjoy it get a new mustang. If you want to talk to people about old cars, be paranoid about the car constantly when you do drive it and spend the days you want to drive it most fixing it then your an old car guy. If your looking for something to drive when ever you want/need it, and have fun with it, your not an old car guy and will hate this. I'm just being honest. owning a 1960's piece of metal isn't all fun and games.

E/ I've also performed a restoration to my exact wants, and then lived with it for over ten years. In that time I had to put 4 more paint jobs on the car due to surface rust in the jambs and drains from washing, paint ships, scratches, etc. had bolts break off in the motor changing the water pump that I basically had to just deal with, various suspension work, electrical work, every old nut and bolt goes right back to being rusty and seized within a year or two tops. I'm not going to candy coat anything for you, if your not 100 percent in this you will hate it.

That being said, if you like knowing everything about your car, and I do mean everything (even if your car illiterate now, you wont be after two years and you will know everything about it), then you will be satisfied beyond belief owning an old car. Also, your price is too low for a non piece of poo poo example. you need to have about 12k for a good car, because if you buy a cheap lovely one you'll spend more than that making it good enough.

goodfuldead fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 27, 2013

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

TrinityOfDeath posted:

I want to echo this, after helping my father restore a 64.5 Mustang that was a true barn find, and he is paranoid about taking it out. We did a completely original restoration, and after 4 years the paint is already showing some signs of deterioration even with the best care we know how to give it. He goes over it nearly every month to check for rust. Something is always breaking, or needing fixed. He keeps it in great shape because of his nostalgia for it. It is a lot of fun for him and his old car buddies to work on and be nostalgic about the 60's. Myself, I just enjoy spending time learning what car technology was like back then, but I would never take one on as a project for myself.

You have to REALLY want it. Mustangs have a great support base and tons of cheap parts, but it can suck your wallet dry in no time.

I have been tempted to put up pictures of my dad's Mustang, if there is some interest I might put them up in the AI Facebook group, I don't need GBS learning where I live.

I'd like to see it.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

MarsellusWallace posted:

I'm eyeballing a Mustang as my first car to be a daily driver in small town Iowa, where snow is a certainty, while snow removal is not. I've got a lot of experience driving a torquey 2wd Cummins pickup in questionable conditions - is it reasonable to expect a Mustang with snow tires to be better in snow and sleet?

Also, should I be avoiding the 1st model year of the next generation? I'm assuming it's a major upgrade in ride/handling and interior, but I'm not sure if major quality control problems are to be expected with such a major model change.

Get the nicest 2005+, gt if possible. They handle quite well, have decent power, are reliable and much more fun to drive than previous versions. You probably won't need snow tires.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

That looks rad man. I remember when these were new and I was helping my dad rebuild wrecked ones.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

kalvick posted:

Plastidip, thats not a bad idea! but I still need a locking lug.

You can go to your local parts store with your original lug nuts and they will get you exactly what you need based on the thread. Locking nuts are junk, if someone wants them off it takes literally a minute longer than not using them. You can beat an over sized socket on one and take it right off. I had to do two last week.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

ilkhan posted:

They actually started building them around two weeks ago. ;)

Use giant Hella lights mounted, any, and every where.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

kalvick posted:

I want that engine in my 01! and while I am dreaming, I would like twin turbos on it.

In either case 30 years from now, who is going to want a GT350, instead of a GT500? If I could have a Shelby of yesteryear, I would hands down pick the 500.
is that the case now? if people picked a 2015 GT350 or a 2015 GT500, price being no issue for a future generation would they actually pick the "less" powerful sounding name?

also, if the GT350 is a track day car, and the GT500 is a drag car, then what the hell is the Cobra jet for?

Most gt350s from the 1960's fetch higher prices than gt500's. This is the same concept. GT350 is the better car, gt500 is/was pure marketing to boulevard cruisers and drag racers. Just ask Leno which would be his pick form the 64-69(70's) mustangs. GT350 hands down. A GT350 with the optional super charger from shelby is one of the most sought after configurations that exist in early mustangs, barring the boss 429 and 302 cars. The boss 302 (original) was actually hailed as a better race car than the GT350s but one would figure so with it being in production much later and therefore received more engineering than the shelby's early iteration of a track oriented mustang.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

goodfuldead posted:

Most gt350s from the 1960's fetch higher prices than gt500's. This is the same concept. GT350 is the better car, gt500 is/was pure marketing to boulevard cruisers and drag racers. Just ask Leno which would be his pick form the 64-69(70's) mustangs. GT350 hands down. A GT350 with the optional super charger from shelby is one of the most sought after configurations that exist in early mustangs, barring the boss 429 and 302 cars. The boss 302 (original) was actually hailed as a better race car than the GT350s but one would figure so with it being in production much later and therefore received more engineering than the shelby's early iteration of a track oriented mustang.

Also, the last GT500 I doubt will ever be all that highly collectable with the shear amount produced and the likely hundreds of garage kept babied examples. There will just be too many of them in the future years to really drive up the price. With the last boss 302 (and LS) we will see some collect-ability, but nothing on the level of the 1960's cars. People just know to keep them put up now, where as in the 1960's people were just purely enjoying them until they were used up and what DID survive became highly sought after. The GT500 is common place now thanks to high production numbers (for a special edition car). I know of at least 3 people who own them and its just not that big of a deal.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Powershift posted:

You also can't create rare options combos and 1 of 1 cars. Everything now is in a package and you don't get unpopular boxes to tick like radio delete or ac delete.

Exactly, you should buy these cars to enjoy the poo poo out of them, the keep it sealed and collect big $$$ days are over, if they ever existed. (all those old cars had to be restored, and the survivors don't bring what you would expect unless its one of a few very select rare models. I used to have a mercury comet cyclone with the 271hp 289 and a myriad of rare options and it did not bring what its 'projected value' was. I made money, but it was not the windfall some thought it would be. Cars are just simply not a good investment, some people just happen to get lucky sometimes. I'd hate to be an old man who bought a car i loved and kept it moth balled hoping to cash in. What would you do with that money in your old age if it did pay off? I'd rather be the young man in the car, windows down, enjoying the visceral growl of the gnarly v8 and rowing gears, tearing the fucker up. I drove my comet like i stole the mother fucker and enjoyed every second of it, no regrets. I remember the guy who had a turbo trans am that he had moth balled back in the 80's (87? 89?) which was some sort of special or anniversary edition and collected a paltry sum as apposed to what he had expected. As in his still had window stickers and the plastic on the carpet, etc. possibly no fluids had been put into it. Total wash when the car could have been enjoyed.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I'm looking for a new car, and a co-worker who is a Mustang fanatic is willing to sell me his 2003 v6 convertible for 8k so he can buy one of the new ecoboost models. Its in drat near perfect condition, and a fair amount of aftermarket stuff in it, and was a show car.

Its blue book value is 4.5k, edmunds gives it 6.7k in a private sale or 7.9k from a dealer, would it be worth the 8k?

Pass, that car is a 4k beater at best, not due to condition just its age and what it inherently is.

I own a bodyshop and auto sales, just telling you how it is with mustangs. Mustangs were my specialty until the 2011 models when i switched primarily to fiesta's because of the ease of their reconstruction and the profit margin I was/am able to make on them.

goodfuldead fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 30, 2014

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Cage posted:

I paid 8k for a 2004 GT with 64k miles a year and a half ago. Nope nope nope.

Wow, I could have gotten you into a pristine 05-08GT with less miles than that for the around the same price with super light front end damage professionally repaired, if you didn't mind driving to Kentucky for it. Before anyone chimes in with lol salvaged title, when your buying something that cheap with an unknown history you might as well find a highly skilled and highly reputable repair shop that rebuild mustangs, you get so much more car for your money and if repaired professionally its almost always in better shape structurally and cosmetically than its merely 'used' counter parts.

Example I sold a 05gt 5spd with 32k miles in 2010 for 9.5k and made good money. The car was in perfect shape requiring only a new fender, side skirt, front bumper, and 3 wheels (scratches). I'm not saying hit me up for business, but if you find the right shop, salvaged is where its at. you will benefit from saving money and usually come out ahead when you resale on the private market. Research it, mustangs are great vehicles to buy rebuilt.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

In the foothills of kentucky you don't use the handbrake to take off on a hill anyway. You just learn where the sweet spot on the clutch is in the first 2-3 tries or your dad makes you walk home. After that its miniscule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

I think that from when the parts are heat treated but not plated. We run into the same thing in the machine shop. I noticed one of those parts sat around and looked like it developed rust but its more like a scale.