Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Gas is already $4-6/gallon in Canada, and F-150s are still the most popular vehicle.

Even if V8 sales do go down, the V6 gets excellent mileage. I get 9 L/100km in the city, and I can drive it down to 6-7 on the highway, even going over mountain passes (26 and 36 mpg, respectively). And I'm not exactly driving it gingerly either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kronix posted:

I think the best you can do from the dealership is a 3.31.

You have to remember the V6 has 2 demographics, people who want to drive a Mustang but don't really want a sports car and people looking to hoon on a budget, that's why they make the performance package. Also, it's going to drive a lot more like a G37 than a Mustang GT in terms of power delivery. You want fast, rev the everliving gently caress out of it.

In Canada, we get the 3.73 on the V6 with our version of the performance package. Just be willing to pay an extra $8000 and you can come up here and get it!

Or, ya know, just buy a GT in the States.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wow... and I thought I hardly ever drove my car (around 6-7k km/year). There's a lot of low-mileage Mustangs out there, it would seem.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jay-Zeus posted:

Anyone in New England have any experience with running a stang year round as a daily driver? I live in atlantic canada, so that's a fair approximation. Winter tires are a must, I imagine, but how would it hold up to salt, snow and cold on a daily basis? It would be sitting outside and exposed to the elements (no garage).

I haven't test drove one yet (going tomorrow) but would like to know if anyone has been down this road.

I live in Calgary, and although the Mustang is my only car, I live right downtown so I have no need to be able to drive every single day. That being said, there's never been a situation where I've had much of a problem with it -- the things that keep me from driving in lovely winter conditions are all the other traffic and idiots, not the capabilities of my car.

I strongly advise winter tires and a block heater, obviously.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I can't compare to earlier Mustangs, but I can say that the 2011 brakes are much firmer than the other cars I've driven recently. You get used to it, at which point braking in those other vehicles loses a certain amount of desired subtlety.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tide posted:

Soooo tempted to get the Borla Type S cat/axleback. Only thing holding me back is the $800 price tag. Also trying to find a standard / non metal 6sp shifter knob. That thing gets HOT.

And also freezing loving cold in mid-winter. Really, it is a very poor choice of material on Ford's part.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It looks like they're taking some cues from the Toyobaru (and Aston Martin, of course).

Frankly, I like it. But I guess I'm not the typical Mustang enthusiast.

Just got the summer rubber put back on my 'Stang. I love it year-round, but with the winter tires taken off, I love it just that much more!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

kronix posted:

It doesn't matter, the Mustang is currently the aspirational car in the Ford lineup. Ford makes lots of cars that are profitable and sports cars are almost always there to improve the brand and get people into dealerships to sell other models. I'm also relatively sure the the V6 makes Ford a good deal of money while the V8 is there to keep up the impression that the Mustang is a real deal sports car. Without the Mustang what does Ford have to make people excited and get them into the showroom? Even Toyota has their FT-86 now.

Car companies need sporty/sexy/fun cars for young people and the young at heart to drive otherwise it makes the brand look boring and utilitarian. You sell the sexy car, flow down some technology and styling cues to the more mainstream sedans ala Nissan and the 370z and the Altima/Maxima. Chevy looks like it's taking the same route with the new Impala drawing from some of the design cues of the Camaro.

Ford however is particularly bad at using the Mustang to drive design language and in this case they have it backwards, when I see the front of the new Mustang (or what we think it is) all I see is the new 2013 Fusion.

But the new Fusion looks stunning, and when both it and the Mustang are redesigned, it won't matter which came out first.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rabble posted:

The story goes that I was test driving the competition for when I eventually would buy an FR-S, but with all the bells and whistles I just couldn't pass this up. It is literally the nicest car I've ever driven.

Don't mention that in the Toyobaru thread. They're still convinced that Mustangs can't handle worth poo poo, and why would you want a car that isn't perfectly balanced???

I, too, have played with the idea of getting a BRZ or FR-S, but when I think about it, the Mustang still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. It's just a really excellent car, and if I'm going to take the depreciation hit on selling it, I might as well upgrade to a GT or GT500 instead of... anything else.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rabble posted:

Question: Just how much abuse can the 2012 V6 transmission/clutch take? This is the first standard car I've ever driven and I'm kinda bouncing around and stalling...you know, newbie stuff.

I learned stickshift on my 2011, and it's had no problems whatsoever so far (only 12500km on it still, mind you). I'm led to believe that stalling at a stop isn't really bad for the car, just a pain in the rear end, but stalling it while driving is Bad News (mind you, there's really no reason you should ever do that unless you're paying no attention whatsoever).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Stalling is not particularly bad for a car. The beginner tendency to ride the clutch is bad for the clutch.

How would you stall while driving? Are you talking about not downshifting or something?

Yeah, if for example you're on the highway and you slow down to avoid a deer or something without putting the clutch in. I nearly did it once (in exactly that situation), but even going 40 km/h in 6th wasn't enough to do it, so like I said, you have to really gently caress up to manage it.

And I can only speak for myself, but when I was learning, I had the opposite problem: acting like the clutch was some sort of evil thing that had to be released as soon as humanly possible (probably because I'd heard of so many newbies riding it too much). Yep, I stalled a lot at the beginning (and had some rather jerky 1-2 shifts).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tide posted:

Less than 1000 miles and I'm getting 13.7 mpg. I'm taking it pretty drat easy...Havent gotten past the first oil change.

I'd have it checked out for a problem, because that's impressively lovely mileage. You have the GT, I assume?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

coolskillrex remix posted:

Yeah I think the ZL1 borrows suspension tech from the high end Zo6/ZR1. Its good stuff.

Shame its wasted on the camaro. Ive never driven one but ive sat in one and it feels like a nightmare in terms of visibility.

I'm half convinced they actually wanted to limit visibility as much as possible, because it seems very unlikely that the outward visibility could be that bad by simple chance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rabble posted:

Oh yeah, the cupholders are definitely made for the slush box drivers but that's going to be a V8 problem too.

And it certainly isn't made for smokers. I use a bottle in the cupholder, but it's still awkward as gently caress to ash properly since you practically have to look at it. Would a nice little ashtray right in front of the shifter been so loving hard to add? My parents' cars have like four built-in ashtrays each, I have none.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sanchez posted:

I did not think anyone really used those ashtrays, it takes dedication to smoke in a car with the windows up.

What about not being a disgusting son-of-a-bitch who throws his flaming refuse out of his window? Or, you know, not wanting to gently caress up the burn on a cigar by exposing it to 100 km/h wind every few minutes?

EDIT: I don't feel I need to spend another $20 on something that won't be any better than the glass bottle I'm using right now. The problem is the awkward angle you have to put your arm in to reach the ashtray when it's in a cupholder, and the fact that you might need to turn your head to make sure you're not dropping your ash or trying to extinguish your smoke on various parts of your car's interior instead of the ashtray, instead of a simple glance down from the dash.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 31, 2012

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

What is $20? One pack of smokes or one cigar? Designing things to accommodate smokers is long gone. You will see a tofu storage tray before ashtrays ever become standard again.

The linked "official Ford parts ashtray." Which goes in the same cupholder my ash-bottle does, thus not improving ergonomics on any level, and probably still getting in the way of my elbow as I shift. What would be wrong with a small compartment in front of the shifter that could be used as an ashtray, or a coin holder/other storage area for non-smokers? I don't even want one of those lovely lighters, because they suck rear end -- just a place for me to drop my ash and stub out a smoke in a reasonably convenient location.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

It's because it's not the fifties anymore and smoking is being pushed out from most angles.

You really shouldn't be this shocked or outraged.

Except it's a car company, not the government or health authorities. They shouldn't have any problem with me choosing to smoke. Why not make, for example, a sunglasses holder in a convenient location in the dash or console, which could be fitted with a $20 metal insert to turn it into an ashtray instead of taking up a cupholder, which still ends up with your ashtray being located very inconveniently?

It's not so much that I simply must smoke when I'm driving (in fact, I only do it on road trips), just that it's a very small addition that would have improved the design of the cockpit. There are any number of small items you might want to have close to hand when driving, and there's no decent place to put any of them apart from the cupholders, where they get in the way of the shifter, which is how this whole discussion began.

And you can say what you want about the age of the smoker coming to an end, but my parents bought their cars at the same time as I bought my Mustang, and each of them has an ashtray for each passenger. Obviously it's not that huge of an imposition.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

Those are the worse loving cup-holders ever designed. Hardly anything fits in it, and what few things do, are at a pretty high risk of falling anytime you change directions a little quickly.

And yet they managed to include an ashtray exactly where I think it ought to go in the Mustang! My word, how did they ever bear that extreme expense and inconvenience?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

I agree on having his car towed off a cliff.

Got that for ya.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Is there a good reason the Mustang automatic doesn't have flappy paddles? I mean, loving Hyundai's putting it in their cars, and Ford has put it in a lot of their other cars as well. Why not provide the economy-tuned auto transmission, but allow the driver more control if they want to have a bit of fun.

How "bad" is the tuning in the automatic transmission? Assuming the ratios are the same as on the manual, I can't imagine it trying to shift into 6th below 80 km/h or so.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

If they're anything like the flappy paddles in my dad's C6, there's enough lag between "press button" and "find the gear you want" to make them useless in any function other than "oh, here's how you select anything other than PRND".

Yeah, that's what the Camaro flappy paddles were like too. Just awful. The FR-S had really responsive paddles though, and that's a fairly inexpensive car. And of course my Dad's CLS shifts frighteningly goddamn fast, so maybe I'm a bit spoiled on flappy paddle gearboxes. It's difficult to go from a 6-spd manual to a 5-spd auto with a stunning amount of power; give what you think is a bit of gas and all of a sudden HOLY gently caress I'M GOING FAST. Using the paddles was necessary just to prevent unintentional downshifts, frankly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Even the '12, though, has the PRND321, which works quite well and is what I was describing.

What about 5 and 4? If the problem is a tendency to hang out in overdrive too much, I think those would be the most useful. If you want to get ready to overtake on the highway, you probably don't want to go straight from 6->3, but 4 or 5 would be an ideal gear for that situation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

You sure about that? That thing does rev all the way to 7000, and the stock 28" tall tires / 3.31 gear ratio make for some interesting gear/speed charts:

What's crazy to me is how close third and fourth are, and yet how far fourth and fifth are. Tech specs pulled from Ford.

I'll try it out next time I'm on a highway merge, but I'm pretty sure that redline in 2nd is below 118 km/h in my car. Perhaps I've not been pushing it sufficiently. considering I'll often shift into 5th as I'm overtaking. Are there any 2011 Mustang V6s that come with a final drive ratio higher than 3.31? Mine's stock, but I can't lay my hands on anything that states it precisely at the moment, especially because Google doesn't seem to want to dig up information on Canadian versions (V6, pony package, manual, if you want to take a look).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ah, see, those ratios are for the automatic. The individual ratios for the manual seem to be more sanely spaced and a bit shorter so unless you have the optional 2.73 rear, you should not be able to do 74MPH/118KMH in second gear. My point was that an automatic doesn't care how many gears it has to kick down, and since third should cover nearly all highway acceleration situations, the transmission should drop all the way from sixth to third if you put your foot in it while cruising around 70MPH.

Ah, understood. I must have been working on too little sleep last night.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vote_no posted:

Your wife wants you to get a V8 Mustang and you say, "No way honey, I'm getting the V6!" :psyduck:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure his friend's problem is complete retardation.

"No, I will NOT buy the objectively better car!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Necc0 posted:

Same thing with mine.

Speaking of the sound system, is there any way to plug an iPod in via USB without it taking over the device? I've given up on SYNC and just want to play via the aux line, but if I try to charge it via USB at the same time I can't use the iPod. Anyone figure out a way to make sync not infuriating?

What part of SYNC do you find infuriating? With the exception of a few non-English titled songs that it can't really understand, I've been extremely satisfied with how it works.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Did you accidentally shift it into reverse, or did you leave it parked in reverse and forgot to shift it into first? I've never really had this problem, but I think a big part of that is that I got the backup camera option, so I get an additional visual indication of "hey, you're in reverse". Ultimately, I think no matter how the gearshift is laid out, you should either get in the habit of parking in first gear or make sure to always put the car in neutral and shift to first before starting to drive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BJA posted:

So I see the last few pages people saying not to get the 2010 or older v6, but how is the newer one? is it good, great, ok or what? My sister just went from her '95 GT to a '14 v6 and her only complaint so far is it's a lot quieter then her GT. My sister getting a new one makes my wife want a '13/'14 convertible but says she wants the better mileage (and cost) of the v6. She also wants the MT not an AT don't know if that makes a difference with the v6 or not.

I've got a 2011 V6 MT and I still love it. I don't think there's a particular lack of low-down torque, but maybe the Canadian version has different gearing than the American version. 1st gear is so short that, if you're moving at all, it's not worth shifting into 1st. The GT has obviously got more torque and power, but that goes without saying. If I had a do-over and the money (both for the initial purchase and the fuel consumption difference), I'd probably pick the GT, but I can't say I've been anything but completely satisfied with my V6. I think I might end up getting a slightly louder muffler (looking at the FRPP Touring or Borla Touring; thoughts?), but even that's not really a necessity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Whoa which mustang has four seats for grown-ups? My 2012 sure doesn't.

It can work if none of them are very tall. I didn't think it was possible either, but my friend and his wife gave me a ride to the airport one time, and it actually worked, even if it was none too comfortable. If the driver's short enough, I think there could be enough room for four people.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

My Mustang was the first stick-shift I'd ever driven, apart from the odd test drive, and one lesson during driver's ed. What people are saying is completely accurate, and as best as I can tell, everyone makes the same mistakes when learning to drive stick: the clutch is your friend. We hear so much about wearing out clutches that we think you mustn't ever use the clutch for a single second more than necessary! This is not the case. Early wear on clutches is caused by people who do stupid things like forgetting to take their foot off the clutch pedal when in the course of normal driving, or use the clutch to hold the car on a hill instead of using the brake.

Another thing: manuals (at least mine) idle way lower than automatics. If you watch an automatic at idle, it will often idle around 1000rpm or 1200rpm. My 'stang idles at around 500 rpm when the engine's warm. Don't be afraid to give a little gas when starting out. You'll start moving faster, which will make it easier to realize exactly where the friction point on the clutch is, if nothing else.

And you will stall. Don't worry about it. I still stall perhaps once every two months through being clumsy, and I'm pretty sure everyone does (I've seen plenty of people do it in traffic), just restart the engine and try again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm currently trying to decide between a FRPP Sport axleback and the Borla S-Type axleback for my V6. Right now I'm leaning toward the FRPP because my installer is more familiar with them in general, but for such a simple install I think it shouldn't really matter. After scouring YouTube for examples and looking at reviews, I think I'd be pretty happy either way and the cost is about the same, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any particularly good reasons why I should opt for one instead of the other.

I'm also thinking of getting the CAI, shorty headers, and tune route (possibly at the same time, possibly later on down the line). The shop does tuning in-house, so I think that might end up providing fairly good bang-for-the-buck, but I'm open to suggestions in the same general price range. Am I completely off-base here and just throwing away money with this plan?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Both axlebacks will have same installations, get whichever sounds better. A tune will give a performance boost, a CAI and headers might give negligible gains.

So, in other words I'm better off just keeping the stock manifold and CAI, and just get it tuned? That's more or less what I've heard elsewhere, I just wanted to get a decent "read" on my plans.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Devyl posted:

The newer V6 will net around ~50 horsepower from full bolt-ons. I say save your pennies and get a supercharger/turbocharger if you want solid 3 digit horsepower gains.

50HP is not at all bad. Is that with just catback, CAI, headers and tune? I haven't investigated supercharging but I think I ought to start.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

davebo posted:

Just ignore the idiots and try not to let them crash into you. They probably think taking down a 260hp 10 year old Mustang is a big victory for whatever it is they're driving, because just adding louvres does separate it a lot from all the Mustangs you see every day and never give a second thought to. Adding cosmetic stuff to any car will get you attention, but not the good kind :P

Edit: speaking of mustangs you see every day, I saw one yesterday of that generation in white but he decided to plasti-dip the wheels deep blue. It was not good.

Letting ego, frustration or competition get into your driving (except when actually racing, in which case competition is okay but the other two are best avoided) is dangerous to you and everyone else on the road, so if you're going to drive a reasonably high-performance car or anything that grabs attention, you must make sure not to fall victim to them. My friend nearly put my Mustang into the ditch because he got frustrated by being behind someone going way too slow for conditions (literally 20-30 km/h under the speed limit at times, in beautiful conditions) and it made him take a corner too fast after we'd finally passed. And he's a cop, so he really ought to know better (both how to drive fast, and how to not let his emotions affect his driving).

Luckily, I just had to clear some gravel and grass out of the wheels and undercarriage, but it came really close to being much worse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

The consumer reports guide about autos was just published. It says that the 2012 mustang is to be avoided. Any reason why that y'all know of?

Well, for one thing, CR doesn't really judge cars on what makes them appealing to "car people." If you don't look at any of the reasons Mustangs are fun or awesome, and just look at things like practicality, they're right to call it a poo poo car and say the Prius is much better.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

That chart seems completely ridiculous if I'm reading it correctly (red full - severe and black full - exceptional). Who are the ones having all of these engine, brake, electrical, and paint problems? I feel like SA is a decent sampling of owners, and if there were serious issues with any of these components, somebody would have that problem here (like RW and his transmission).

I believe red is good and black is bad (yes, it would make more sense to use a color like green for good, instead of a colour that often means bad things).

It's still bizarre - someone needs to 'splain me how the V6 can get above-average in every category and below-average overall. I think the answer is that Consumer Reports sucks balls for cars, and you should only pay attention to it if you don't actually get any pleasure or enjoyment out of driving.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I just got the FRPP Sport axle-backs put on my '11 V6. It's not as good as I expected; it is, in fact, even better than I expected. It was totally, totally worth the money.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Oh man I can't wait to see the new Mustang. It's pretty much the only car even close to my price range that would make me consider parting with my current Mustang, if the rumours are all true. Mind you, it will have to be pretty good to get me to sell my '11 right away; I'm thinking I'll probably be in the market for a new one starting around summer 2015.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

I am glad they are making the new car smaller.

The SN197 feels like a landyacht compared to the SN95. I really don't like driving cars where I can't see where the hood ends.

Really? I feel like in the Mustang I can see where the hood ends much better than the average car. Out of curiosity, I sat in a Fusion at the dealership, and I couldn't tell if there was a hood in front of me, much less how long it might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Indecision1991 posted:

I am anxiously waiting to hear more on the 2015 model, the one thing that scares me is the fact that as a tall driver, at 6'5", I may not fit. The Mustang has always been a dream car but I don't want to get my hopes up. I know that I want the GT Premium, with the track package and Recaro seats so they may help with me fitting better. I am wondering if there are any other tall people here that can get my hopes back up. I haven't had time to find a 2014 model to sit in but from what I have heard they may be using the same interior on the new model.

I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam (so, normal torso and long legs). There are many cars I basically don't fit in at all, like the Miata (if I want to be able to shift). In the 2011 Mustang, I don't even have to put my seat all the way back. At 6' 5" I don't imagine you'd have any problem fitting in the current Mustang. If the new one is smaller, who knows?