Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
So my local target had 9675 Sebulba's Pod Racer and Tatooine on clearance and I bought a lot of them because it was loving 50% off. Now I am stuck with 6 extra sebulba figs I do not want (anyone want to buy them? I might put them in SA mart soon) and 6 extra planets. Shipping the planets is too much to make it worth trying to sell them, but if I can remove the print the planet pieces would make nice orangish brown spheres.

I saw on youtube what sounded like a 13 year old kid using brasso to remove print (and comments bitching "OMG that is such a rare piece!"), but he was also saying he had to wear gloves or else the brasso would gently caress up your skin. I tried using the only substance I have available at home, bar keeper's friend stainless steel polish. BKF worked great for a few 1x1 pieces with eyeballs, but I spent about 30 min working on the sphere and am only about 30% done. . . With 1 half of sphere. Is there a faster way to remove print?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Travis343 posted:

With Brasso you can smear it over the piece and let it sit for a while and then it rubs off easier. I don't have any experience with what you're using but it might be worth a try.

Alright, I will buy some brasso. How long is a while? Will it gently caress up the piece if left on too long, and do i really need gloves?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am seeling some minifigs in SA Mart, mostly hobbit figs. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528289

DrChud - I have no idea which will be more valuable, but I know I would certainly prefer Arkham over the haunted house.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
A box containing my childhood arrived last night. . .

I have no idea how heavy it is or how many pieces, but I can say that is one of the few items that has made forced me to stop multiple times while climbing my stairs.

I spent almost all morning sorting, prior to the sort the box would barely shut all the way. Those are 6qt containers to give you an idea of their size. I was originally sorting into one bucket for each color black, white, yellow, red, blue, and green. The first problem I realized was red, black, white and blue all filled up really fast, they yellow box is pathetically empty (which really doesn't bother me much at all) and I started throwing brown and grey into the green box.

I need to find a good way to clean a ton of Lego, I think most of my pieces have had coke spilled on them. The good is that the cola rinses off really quick with hot water (gonna go through a ton of hot water) but I really don't want to wash five million bricks by hand. I think a google search said something about putting bricks in either a dish washer or clothes washer? I suppose I could also fill my tub with hot water and let them soak forever.

Good news is for the most part, it looks like my parts have not yellowed much - I imagine most of the parts were purchased in the 90s or later and Lego must have solved that problem by then? None the less, some of my white bricks look kinda nasty.

While sorting, I also hunted down some of my minifigs:

These guys are like my ghetto version of storm troopers or something: (these look like 20x better if I replace the torso with white zippered jackets, see next photo)

These guys are my "classic astronauts" - I like this look enough I have a shipment of about 8-10 each red, blue and black torsos coming from the netherlands (seller didn't have white torsos).

Next I have my "engineering crew" - I really wish there were more colors of the jacket with the zipper straight up and down.

Last minifig pic, I am trying to create something that looks kinda like a space soldier. I am choosing to use Spyrius or Unitron torsos because that is what I have to work with, and I think they both kinda look like futuristic armor, especially the upper part of the Spyrius torso. But overall, I just like the Unitron fig (outfitted as pictured) best. I am not yet sure if I prefer the aquashark headgear (it looks like armor to me) or the standard air tank and helmet.

So, before I have to resort to bricklink, does anyone have some some Unitron or white with diagonal zipper torsos they would like to trade? I am also in need of grey arms w/ black hands (or black hands in general) and grey legs with black hips (also need a few pairs of red hips/legs). I am also interested in red and blue helmets and airtanks. Broke down and ordered from Bricklink.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 17, 2013

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
About TRU pricing, so far when I have looked at my local TRU things really don't look very marked up, maybe Wichita is just lucky.

The one set that I knew was marked up was the Malevolence, it was $140 vs $119 at Wal-mart or Target. But if TRU does price matching, what do I have to do to convince them to sell me the set for the RRP? I could simply go to Wal-mart instead for the Malevolence, but what about Technic sets where I can only find the RRP from lego.com? Would I just have to print off a copy of the Wal-mart or Lego web page that has the RRP? Also, I assume if I want to convince them to price match, I can probably forget about getting % off to? Like the malevolence was $140, and they had a "Spend more than $100 get $25 off", so if I really wanted the Malevolence (I don't after reading reviews) I could have purchased it for $140-25 = $115 slightly cheaper than Wal-mart, or maybe I could have convinced them to price match ($140 to $120) and take off $25 too making it $95? I doubt TRU would go for such a deal but if it was a good set maybe I would have tried.

Another thing about TRU, my local TRU seems to only do the the $25 off $100 or more sale. . . I have seen BOGO 50% off one time, and I tried to take advantage of it because it said "all Lego System proudcts" but according to the cash register, Star Wars did not count as a Lego System product.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 2, 2013

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Krazyface posted:

<snip>
All of it is from here, by the way.

I honestly think the best part is real launchers instead of loving flick fires on the Galaxy Squad tracked vehicle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brickjournal/8439369149/in/set-72157632677753378/ (<- I couldn't figure out how to timg that)

I was also kinda hoping the galaxy squad vehicle would split into two separate tracked vehicles instead of the way it splits, but I think will still be an awesome set.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

I am extremely amazed people are willing to pay that kind of money for that crap. But about the toilet set, how did they get the install the toilet paper roll? From the picture, I just cant see how they would mount the TP roll without modifying pieces, unless there is some sort of new piece I don't know about (which is highly likely).

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

InfinEight posted:

From looking at some of the listings with decals and some fairly obvious modifying of parts, I would say he probably used a 1x2 plate with bar and just cut enough of the bar out that he could slide the 1x1 round into place.

Heh, gotta love that "brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item" in every listing. . . I'm even mroe surprised if he is pawning off butchered bricks and 99.9% positive feedback. I was looking at some of his other listings: $25 for a special R2D2 with 3rd leg and this thing actually looks kinda nice but holy crap $1,600 + $50 shipping. At the very least, he could show some interior shots of the church, I kinda like the look of the exterior, maybe for it's worth $100 or 200, but $1,600 is just :lol: .

**Fixed link, thanks!

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 8, 2013

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I like the look of the really small section of the Malibu Mansion, but in the pics it kinda looks like they over simplified the helicopter a bit. If it ends up being $40 I might strongly consider purchasing it.

I kinda like how Lego is now a "source" for spoilers about Iron Man 3. Has Lego spoiled any other movies in the past?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I need that X-wing. . . I always wanted the old 7191, but based on what I've seen from that box I think it looks like a better set. I would still rape/pillage/plunder to get a 7191, but that set just looks amazing.

On a related note, I was in my local TRU yesterday and saw two new 10212 imperial shuttles, and they were not there a couple weeks ago (I cant remember how long it's been since my last trip there). So, a retired set, just put on the shelf, I almost bought it but 1) it did not have a price on it/near it, and 2) I assumed this meant the set was not retired, although checking lego.com confirms it is retired. Hell, I think even if TRU has it marked up to $250 or so, I could still sell that today for $300+ if I wanted to, or just enjoy the set like I'm supposed to. drat you TRU, my Lego budget is already :lol: this year/month/week. . . I will check back there sometime next week and if they still have on, it's meant to be.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

stuie posted:

Microspace assault carrier:

I like your use of the slope with number 4 on it. Are the small ships loose or mounted on top? The ski/tie fighter is really cool. Did you use custom stickers on that model? I simply don't recognize the two squarish/circular looking design beside the number 4

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Last night, I was delivered a complete 6989 from my youth, it was lost in the back of a closet since whatever year it was re-released. Simply put, since this thing has been just decorative for more than a decade, I think I can part with it and use the funds to further my addiction. It lacks box or instructions but is otherwise complete, I am not sure how much this is worth. Anyone interested?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Wow that opera house looks incredible, especially considering the "architecture" opera house sucked so bad. . . I cant possibly justify spending $320 on the sydney opera house, mainly because of lack of display space, but also because I just don't really care about the building in real life. It's an interesting looking building, but just not something I really like.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am considering parting with my 8448 because I believe my 9398 needs a set of Power Puller wheels. If any is interested in making this trade please PM or email logan85 g mail.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I purchased 5lbs of lego for $40 from ebay and scored a spare 9398 sized tire, unfortunately it came with this mess:

I don't know what was used except that the 3rd helmet used to be completely blue and after applying some rubbing alcohol it turned to it's current light blue. I assume brasso could probably restore these back to white and remove all the print in the process. . . In short, if anyone thinks they can salvage these helmets please pm/e-mail me and I can send them to you, otherwise I am more likely to throw these away since they have no value to me.

VVV More effort then I want to put into these pieces. I'm sure these pieces could be reverted back to white and loose all their print, but I would rather spend a $1 to mail them instead of spending even a $1 on magic eraser.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 7, 2013

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Rythe posted:

You can still get those cannons in the two big ships from Pirates of the Caribbean I think, at least the ones I have have shooting cannons in them. I have wasted so much time shooting cannon balls out of those things.

The out of production Queen Anne's Revenge and Black Pearl? There is nothing I regret more than not buying one of those ships. :( After reviewing the instructions for these sets, I'm actually quite OK with my decision to pass on those sets.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 13, 2013

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

xzzy posted:

Look into their wanted list feature.. it obligates you to build out an XML file which is kind of an annoyance, but once you upload it automatically finds stores selling each brick. Then you go to the Wanted/By Shop tab and it'll let you select a want list, and the top results will be stores that have the best matching inventory.

If you click on a store while on that page, it'll automatically bring up a list of your desired parts too.

It's a cool feature, the hardest part is building out the XML file (I think there's apps out there to help create it for you, I just did a lot of cutting and pasting).

Seconding Bricklink's wanted list, although I didn't use an XML file, I just went to each piece I wanted and clicked add to wanted list then edited the quantities later.

I have been considering trying to make my own custom modular as well, but I I kinda want to try to make like a park or an alley, something different than another building. Anyone have any ideas for like a modular park?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Red posted:

Well, they did use Exxon in the 80s.

Don't forget Shell.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Sloppy posted:

Wow, that's awesome, I'd like one of those! I'll just mosey over to his store and ....jesus christ, £1250?

Holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Rythe posted:

So I am thinking about offloading my 4000007 Ole Kirks House Set, to potential fund a new laptop purchase or maybe for Meatlbears pirate ship, when that comes out.

What do you all think is a fair asking price for that set? I have checked around a bit and have seen everything from $250-$500 and everything in between.

Too rich for me, but I was just looking up the instructions and at times it seems like Lego just wanted to troll their employees with that set. Like a lot of steps would add only two or three pieces, like a 1x1 technic brick with a half pin. I'm certain the last 7 steps from 85 to 91 were just trolling, the windows clipped onto the roof are each made of the exact same four pieces, and every window has it's own separate step. WTF Lego?

Unrelated news, I was at the Lego aisle in walmart last night, and I had to walk past an ~8yr old kid with his parents. As I browsed the aisle I kept hearing his Mom being very loud and making fun of the kid saying stuff like "look at his royal highness he's too good for these blocks" and "how many times do I have to say you cant have legos?" As soon as they left I noticed they were standing in front of a bunch of "Kid Connection" sets, every set was on clearance for less than $5, maybe they are decent knocks offs but with box art like this, I feel really bad for that kid.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 19, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

When visiting the Lego store on the weekend I reached the following conclusions:

* Simpson house is much better and more impressive in person. Yeah the figures look goofy, but the house itself is really impressive. It's also going to be pretty drat popular.
* Parisian restaraunt is just plain gorgeous. It may be my first modular.
* I have hated brick built trees in every set I've built that has them. The standard green foilage thing is my least favourite piece. As a result the Ewok Tree Villaige is pretty much my Lego nightmare made real.
* Not into Technic, but drat that new Cargo Plane looks impressive.
* Chima has at least as much shelf/display space as Star Wars. Far more than Ninjago ever had.

I ended up just buying the Melting Room movie set and a couple of minifigs (2 bad cops, gave one to a friend).

"Better" can mean a lot of things. To a massive Dr Who fan a Character-Building Dr Who set might be better than a Lego Star Wars set. Quality probably won't factor into that.

Keep in mind that outside the AFOL community Lego or people who are nostalgic about it, it's just a toy like any other. I might occasionally by an action figure from a show or movie I like. When I do I honestly have no idea if there are adult action figure fans thinking "OMG I can't believe he bought a Brand X figure, doesn't he know they're poo poo compared to Brand Y"? Nope... don't know, don't care. It's just a chunk of plastic I thought would be fun to have on my desk.

On a related note I got my kid a megablocks Skylanders set because it was like 75%. Quality was so-so, obviously sub-lego, but the instructions... my god they were terrible. I hadn't up until that moment fully appreciated just how good Lego instructions are and how much work goes into them. They've been refined to the point where they blur the line between design and art (in the way that something like the London Underground map does).

The Simspons characters. . . I haven't seen them in person but I fell like they could have been much better if they just kept standard heads and added a pattern, like just a line instead of actual triangular hair for Bart.

As for Mega Bloks, for me it's all about the quality. I have only purchased two Mega Bloks sets, I believe it was sometime between '95-'00 when I purchased my first ever Mega Blocks set- a big space shuttle. I had always lusted over a Lego shuttle but could never manage to hold onto my allowance long enough to get one, so when I saw that I could actually afford this shuttle and it was lower cost per piece than Lego I simply had to buy it. I wasn't able to find pictures of this set, but it is different than the latest Mega Bloks shuttle. This one was much more simple, it was made almost entirely out of basic bricks. Every loving time I tried to add another piece I had to sort through the pile of identical bricks until I could find the piece that would mate with whatever I was attaching it to, a lot of points I had to simply compromise and put a "loose" brick next to a "tight" brick in hopes that it would stay together. I spent soo much more time putting that piece of poo poo back together than playing with it. Also, it had a giant like 6 x 10 x 3 brick for the engines with 3 lights in a triangular fashion to attach these ugly trans-red cones and you pushed a button to make them flash, the piece had no other decent use that I could think of. I mean if Lego did a light up element on a set, they would give you a battery box, and a the lights were all on wires, you could add more lights or move them around to better locations, this thing was only useful as rocket booster.

Soon after, I found myself once again in TRU, I saw another Mega Blocks set and juvenile me only saw dollar signs. It was a moon base or mars base, it had a huge gray baseplate like this one (but gray) and that loving thing was pure garbage. It must have weighed like 3 pounds, the edges were all curvy so forget putting another baseplate beside it, and the areas with studs all had awkward shapes so it was just a bitch to build anything on it. Besides the baseplate, this new Mega Bloks set had even crappier quality than the first! Not only did I have pieces that would fit really loose, I had pieces that were impossible to separate without a knife. It felt like I was going to have to line up a piece and then take a hammer to tap them together to never be separated again. If the fit wasn't bad enough, this new set introduced plates that were 1/2 brick instead of 1/3, gently caress you Mega Bloks! These completely incompatible 1/2 plates also had a bottom side that was incompatible with Lego.

Every single time I went to play with my bricks step 1 was to toss the big gray monstrosity aside and hope I didn't see it again. As soon as I even looked at the big ugly rocket-booster light brick it would only bring back memories of that piece of poo poo crumbling under it's own weight. I tried so many times to throw those pieces out, every time my Mom would dig them out and be like "but it's a Lego" and I would go on a juvenile tirade about the difference between Lego and Mega Bloks and how much I hated those particular pieces and the memories, and every time they would just end up right back in my collection. I tried so hard to get rid of those damned pieces. . . I hid them in the trash can, I buried them in my yard, I still hate those damned bricks to this day. I simply can not convince myself to buy Mega Bloks today. Even if the quality has improved, I can not rid myself of those child hood nightmares. The Call of Duty line seems neat at first, but is overall pretty bad in my opinion. A hummer is Army not Call of Duty, they are just attaching a big name to a military set and hoping spoiled kids will buy them up.

TLDR; Mega Bloks poor quality ruined my child hood. :argh:

That said, there is one brick I have found in my collection which I believe comes very close to Lego quality, I don't know what brand they are but all the studs have an anchor on them. This brand has good grip but the finish is not always consistent. Most of the bricks I have are almost indistinguishable from Lego, but some are more glossy. What might this brand me?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 21, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Tkytko posted:

Lego actually as a thing like this too!
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30351c01
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30354
Luckily they were only in two sets, and never used in actual space shuttles (which is where I thought they were used).

Say it ain't so Lego! Was that during the late 90s when Lego was junuor-izing everythig? Those were dark times for Lego. . .

Tkytko posted:

New Chima stuff sounds interesting, but I am really anticipating the new small ball joints coming out in the Chima beasts and Mixels sets (even though I don't build mechs like some of you).

I too dont build mechs but love ball joints, every space ship needs a cool robotic arm thing.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
So far, I have visited two wal-marts and I have only seen mostly galaxy squad on clearance, I picked up a Vermin Vaporizer ($35), Hive Crawler ($35) and Bug Obliterator ($49). I haven't seen many good clearance deals on other lines. I have saw the lone ranger train marked down to $49 from $99 which is awesome, but other than that I haven't seen many other sets on clearance.

Also, I am bit surprised at how rare the bug men are, I really expected more than 1 bug minifig in the hive crawler. But I am not a big fan of the bug men anyways. Did wal-mart ever carry the CLS-89 Erdaicator Mech or Galactic Titan? I haven't seen either of those sets in the two wal-marts I have visited, there are 3 or 4 more wal-marts in my area I can check and a few targets but if thats a lost cause then I will settle for my current purchases.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Sockser posted:

Decided against buying the Rancor Pit/Jabbas palace after seeing photos of them combined.

But the I picked up a hive crawler for $30. It's cool but does anyone else who has it have problems with the legs? It seems like they're designed to work better going backwards , and sometimes they get stuck moving forward.

Just want to add that I do have this set, and the legs work flawlessly, I can push it forward or backwards as fast or slow as I want without any jams. I particularly love the sound the legs make when the hit the floor. I have only two complaints, the egg launcher has about 2 - 3x the range if you lift the bugs rear end to get the full range of the catapult. My second complaint, and this is extremely pedantic, but I am pretty sure they do not move in a pattern that is realistic for hexapods, see this video for reference.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My local theatre had about 4 show times the entire day for Lego Movie since launch, went there Sunday to try to get tickets and already sold out by noon. :negative: There are now about 9 show times today but have to go work and I am not going to a late showing. Also, I'm pretty sure the summary they provided on the website includes two spoilers: An ordinary LEGO minifigure, mistakenly thought to be the extraordinary MasterBuilder, is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil LEGO tyrant from gluing the universe together. It's like they just said "Kids movie, nobody is gonna see this, and gently caress anyone who cares about the plot."

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Finally saw The Lego Movie today, on my wife's birthday none the less. She is not a Lego fan but she knows I am, and everything else playing looked like crap or only rental worthy. The wife liked the movie, of course I absolutely lived it. Spoiler time:

I was surprised to see so much non-Lego usage, but in the end it makes sense given the plot. I love names for everything, like "the sword of exact zero". My favorite part of the movie was the Millennium Falcon simply because I am a Star Wars nerd and I remember how much the Millennium Falcon broke down in Empire Strikes Back.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Searching ebay, I am seeing this stupid piece of poo poo come up a lot. . . A Lego toilet. I think it's a little disturbing this thing is so popular. That said, is there any possible way to make that toilet paper roll with permanently disfiguring a Lego piece? I don't consider it an interesting or useful construction, just wondering if the ever so popular TP roll is a molestation or not.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Besides Indiana Jones, modulars, and x-mas tree delivery truck, did Lego make any other good (Adventurers line does not count) minifig scale classic cars? I think the older cars fit in best with the modulars so I would like to collect or build more old cars.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

xzzy posted:

You mean the 4 stud width style?

6641 is one of my favorite classic trucks. Or 6669 if you want a badass semi. 6538 is fun too.

Of course not the old 4 stud wide, I mean 6 stud wide and with a 1930s look.

Indiana Jones Shanghai Chase has a very nice 6-wide Duesenberg, and another vehicle I cant identify.
Indiana Jones race for the stolen treasure has an amazing 2 1/2 ton army truck and another WW2 German jeep like thing.
Holiday 2013 Christmas tree truck is an acceptable 6 stud wide 50s pickup (I would like it better if the cab were wider)

I mentioned the Adventurers line because they made similar vehicles but in my opinion they are simply nowhere near as good as modern Lego vehicles. The Adventurers Temple of Anubis has a 2 1/2 ton truck with an old fashioned WW2 style, but it does not have anywhere near as much detail as the Indiana Jones truck.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Matel buying Mega Brands? Obviously that will get them Mega Bloks, and Rose Art as mentioned previously in the thread. According to Mega Brands website, they also own "Mega Puzzles" (just traditional cardboard 2D puzzles) and "Board Dude" (looks like just a regular cork board to pin poo poo too). Mattel owns Hot Wheels, and Matchbox already (since '97), and the key difference between Hot Wheels and Matchbox was that Matchbox was originally a UK brand and focused on making realistic cars and Hot Wheels made more exotic and "concept" cars.

The problem I find with Mega Bloks today (besides horrendous quality issues. . .) is they do not have any of their own models or parts, everything is a licensed build using custom pieces only good for one purpose. Mega Bloks might as well just be selling another pre-assembeled toy models, instead they are taking a model, cutting it in half and rejoining it with studs so they can claim "it's just like Lego!" Consider this piece of poo poo is compatiable with Lego, good luck finding out where the stud connections are and forget trying to re-purpose those pieces as anything but a mech.

The need for speed Mega Bloks line is retarded. . . The "customizable" bit is you can GLUE a spoiler on the back, or add a sticker with racing stripes to the hood. This poo poo is totally just like Lego and kids would never feel ripped off getting one of these. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ1BX87a7N0

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

What scale is this? Minifig?

Apparently, the Galaxy Squad torso looks like a pretty good approximation for a Robocop fig pic (ignore the ugly as poo poo custom helmet)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Here is the original brickshelf gallery which has higher resolution pictures of the ED-209 instructions: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/timgould/Space/Mecha/ED209/ED209Instr/

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Aaronicon posted:

Helped a sad-looking kid to grab a random Lego Movie minifig today. They restocked them at our local Big W today and they put the minifig boxes at the absolute top of the shelves, about 2m off the ground, probably to stop people stealing them. I reached up for one and asked if he wanted any help looking for a particular one but he was happy with just any ol' one and he quickly ran off yelling to his parents about how he managed to reach one without their help :3:

And now I'm two President Businesses up. Not gonna lie, was feeling up for that coffee cup to try and get Larry. But another two minifigs for the parts bin, nothing wrong with that.

You horrible monster! Were those jorts cum stained before or after you felt up that little boy's toy?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
In the past 6 months or so I have spent waaay too much money on Lego usually buying at least one set a week or more. I have 4 modulars, an 8110, 8046, an 9398, and numerous other smaller sets. I am sure there are people in here who probably have purchased far, far more, but to date I have only had 2 piece problems. The first was in a Galaxy Squad small interceptor plane - the 2x2 sloped control panel was damaged. The second, I bought the City cement truck, and one of the 2x2 brackets that was supposed to be yellow was instead brown. I have had numerous "oh poo poo, missing piece" moments but always ended up finding the missing piece in one of the bags.

I also own 0 pairs of jorts and 6 stain free pairs of khaki shorts.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 16, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

Blacktron: Future Generation is the best generation.

This man speaks the truth. Maybe I just wasn't born in time, but 1990-96 was the best era for Lego space. Robo-Force, Insectoids, Mars Mission, and this loving piece, were the primairy forces driving me into my darkages.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Just want to share my creation and see if it's sell-able, about a year ago I decided to build my own Robie House. I simply could not justify spending $200 on 1x2 plates and other "common" pieces. I thought, surely I have a couple hundred red 1x2 plates floating around my collection, I searched for days and found about 50. That wasn't going to deter me, I foolishly convinced myself that I could find all the necessary pieces on Bricklink for close to or less than $200. :lol: Lets just say about halfway through multiple orders, I decided "cost be damned, I will slowly add to this over the next few months so that the cost will be negligible." Well, I'm pretty sure it took less than two weeks later that I had all my Bricklink orders on the way, and thank god this thing was spread out over multiple orders. . . It's been long enough those orders are no longer on my bricklink account and as such I have no way to actually calculate how much I paid for this thing (hint: more than $200).

Here is my red version of Robie House, with brown instead of black garage doors and no planters because I forgot to order them. As it it, every time I look at this model my brain screams "what the hell where you thinking?" I want to enjoy this set, I just don't think that will ever be possible.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

General Specific posted:

If you wanted a bulk amount of a certain part directly from LEGO, how many would you have to buy before getting some sort of discount?

Simply put, you can not get a discount on bulk bricks. You can use pick a brick to order up to 999 of a single brick, but the price per piece is often 15 to 20 cents each or higher.

But if you are a member of a LUG and meet certain criteria you can use LUGbulk. You have to have at least 10 members, a LUG website, create 2 public displays each year, and meet many other criteria. You also have to agree not to sell any bricks you purchase this way.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
So I've had my fair share of successful Bricklink orders, some with great customer servic ("Missing piece? On its way!), some not so great ("How dare you say a piece is missing!"), and throughout all of this, I have never received an order without a tracking number. Either USPS sucks (right. . .) or the loving spergy shop owners just see untracked orders as a pure profit. Of course they sent your $50 worth of Lego, its clearly lost in the mail. . .

My latest ordered was placed about two months ago with tracking, took a week to invoice everything, I paid immediately, and another week later my order was marked shipped on bricklink. But I had no tracking number and no further contact from the store. :suicide: Fast forward to today, long after I had given up all hope on that order, paypal e-mailed me a tracking number.

I love bricklink but sometimes on rare occasions the sellers really can be assholes.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Just an update on my Bricklink drama, I placed my order and paid for it in early March, it arrived last Thursday April 24. Most of the parts were hilariously innacurate. . . I don't remember checking the feedback before ordering, but as soon as I received the order I checked the store feedback - 300 positive, 40 negative, and I'm guessing all of the negative feedback came in the last month or two. All of the recent feedback that I read was poo poo like "seller won't ship, got a refund" and the few positive were "took forever to ship", and on Friday the store was shut down due to too many non-shipping seller complaints.

I like Bricklink, I still trust Bricklink, I would say 90% of my orders have gone absolutely perfectly with no issues or great customer service when there was a problem. I just really need to pay more attention to seller feedback ratings. Also the website looks like something from the 90s and they should start requiring tracking numbers on every order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Plastik posted:

Remember, one of the Cuusoo sets is based on a 30 year old movie, and another is based on a 25 year old trilogy, neither of which really have much appeal to modern kids.

Did you really just say kids today do not like Star Wars?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 30, 2014