Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

as far as knockoff stuff goes, I got this guy recently

seems like this was/is a bricklink MOC that got scooped up by some third party company. parts are honestly really nice, barring one weird extra half part that looks like it didn't make it out of the mold properly. but that was unused and i guess that's why they include extras.

some cool building techniques, but one very common issue i've seen with both MOCs and knockoff builds is that they do not have the foundational structure that Lego includes. at least during the build itself. once completed, the thing is pretty solid outside of the microbuildings and maybe like a piece or two on the acropolis face. but during the build there were lots of opportunities to make sure that bricks would support each other to ensure rigidity and make it so that accidental pressure in the wrong place would not collapse that stack.

the best comparison i can make is to actual brick laying. instead of doing

XXX
XXX
XXX

you'd do

XXX
XXXX
XXX

again, towards the end of the build, the bricks finally support each other and you get that true rigidity so that a completed build is pretty sturdy. but it makes the building process more of a pain in the rear end than it needs to be. i keep seeing steps that were begging for like a 1x4 plate to connect two 1x2 slopes, and instead i got two 1x2 plates that continued to stack up.

the other issue is that the bags are not numbered, and the build dips from almost all bags all at once. this is 100% a build that needs the builder to sort the parts first before attacking it.

those issues aside, its a really beautiful build. really worthy of an actual Lego architecture set, but like 50 bucks less than what they'd charge and its available now instead of some hypothetical future. doing the acropolis, a port of athens and the parthenon is really inspired and way better than doing just the parthenon itself. similar to the lead in for the Lego pyramid that includes some smaller pyramids, housing, the river nile, etc. the level of detail just makes the whole build pop a bunch more and also helps turn the build into something really varied and interesting instead of super repetitive (like, say, the Lego colosseum)

I also did the FUNWHOLE (real name, not made up) Lighthouse and while I don't hate it, the issues with that build were a lot more glaring. brick quality was worse, the lighting and cables do not fit well and are not hidden and make me never want to gently caress with lighting systems in a Lego set ever again. the set as a whole isn't ugly but it's not super attractive either. it is kinda neat when its lit up, but the thing needs 3 AA batteries so gently caress that. i don't hate the thing straight up, its kinda cool - but it just makes me want to see Lego do their own Lighthouse of Alexandria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Carbohydrates posted:

I don't know if there's a more LEGO-specific term for this, but I've always referred to this as "interlapping." IMO, interlapping and another thing I call "indexing," are two basic techniques LEGO uses that MOC designers and third party companies really, really overlook.

Interlapping: interconnecting and overlapping (hence the name) pieces atop one another when stacking them.
Indexing: building the alignment or reference point for a movable assembly so that the user does not have to figure out how to line it up or set the angle themselves, usually by building a "stop" at one or both ends of an assembly's length of travel.

The 2 x 4 bricks are an example of interlapping. The flag's angle is indexed by placing a clip tile in the middle. The hinge brick's angle is indexed both by the cheese slope underneath it and the 1 x 2 x 2 panel behind the assembly.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's called a stretcher bond or (sometimes) a running bond if you do it with masonry.

There are variants where the bricks are offset by a third or a quarter instead, which leads to a further choice about whether each layer should continue the stagger or should alternate.

Oh neat, I knew there had to be a better term for it. Ty. Really does give me another level of appreciation for Lego's building techniques that they can creatively apply stability throughout the whole build instead of just at the end. although with that said, I've been working on the Starry Night set and I'm a little surprised they put off connecting these back plates until you finish the whole thing and attach it to the base

I didn't really have an issue with the thing collapsing in half and exploding into a mess of 1x4s, but also I had to be a little careful when attaching the thing to the base, since a little pressure in the wrong place was producing a lot of bend.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

xzzy posted:

I put a gash in my thumb assembling that wall, there's a spot on the right side where you have to stack 5 1x4 plates without any overlap and I pressed a new piece onto it at a bad angle and it buckled.

(in the image it's on the left side, next to that black square)

That said I really enjoyed building that wall. It's not the most ground breaking technique ever but it looks really cool and I was kind of bummed to cover most of it up with dishes and swirls.

yeah the lightest blue bricks do a great job of popping out as clouds, or the light source you'd get on the horizon in the early morning

the wall is repetitive but in a relaxing way since you're constantly swapping colors - aided a ton by the fact that the different colors are already separated in different bags. although a good light source definitely helps. but basically everything else about the build utilizes some creative techniques so some repetitiveness for the wall (and I guess the frame) is more than forgivable.

once I finish the thing off I think I'm gonna jump on bricklink and get some poo poo so I can alter the frame and add some matting - the thing is kinda begging for a bit of a larger footprint and a white mat so that the painting itself sticks out some more

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

You have to buy it with like $200 of VIP points. And then add it on to another order. It's a stupid system. They should just let you buy it outright with cash or make it a GWP.

I'd be a lot more annoyed with it if it didn't look like crap. Doesn't help that I already have the Great Wall, Taj Mahal, and just finished that knockoff Acropolis set.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

bird with big dick posted:

Lego thread: my FUNWHOLE is not super attractive and needs 3 AA batteries.

:cheerdoge:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't care how nice it looks. I am not ever under any circumstances going to do that roof. It would never be straight enough for me and I would spend all year just aligning it and putting finger prints on everything.

After doing the Taj Mahal, they really need to come up with some 1x1 grid aligning tool or some poo poo. At least when I stack 1x1s, I can press the sides against my desk to ensure they're all aligned. When 1x1s are in a grid its just a nightmare.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

xzzy posted:

Vote with your dollars then, they can't all be zingers.

If I had any nostalgia at all for british phone booths I'd buy it because the submission build is pretty well done.

the set is well done, it just feels supremely uninspired. reminds me of the double decker bus they threw out a year or so ago.

nightmare before christmas set is cool looking and probably is a neat build, but yeah tired of the IP creep.

idk, some of the best ideas sets have been stuff like the fender guitar (although stringing it kinda sucked), the typewriter, starry night, and the piano. the blacksmith, saturn rocket, lighthouse etc are a little less truly inspired, but also excellent sets. gimme some more stuff in that vein

i definitely agree there needs to be some revamp for this system because the whiplash in the quality of the ideas sets can be jarring. stuff like the globe, ship in a bottle, and fooseball should've been canned in development once they realized what the For Sale version would look like. and then a good 50% of the ideas sets as a whole are someone else's IPs

idk, i'm browsing the ideas page and see poo poo like this and wonder why it's either not at 10k supports, or hasn't been expedited to the front of the line

Borsche69 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 8, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What was wrong with the globe? Too many gaps?

I think the ship in a bottle looks good. It's smaller than original model but it uses much larger transparent pieces making it easier to see the ship (which is also much more sturdily attached).

Yeah the gaps just feel awful. The continents need a lot more thought put into them also

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Hopper posted:

Love the phone box, it will fit nicely into my Lego London collection.

While I get why you may say it seems bland, I think you underestimate how iconic the phone boxes are to tourists. Lego probably made a good choice, this might become a very popular set all across Europe.

oh for sure it'll be a money maker that sits in UK lego stores forever. iirc the london bridge is one of the longest lasting sets probably in no part because they needed to make sure they had it stocked at the UK locations.

but its a set they could've just done internally. there's no shortage of london/UK stuff they've released. same thing with new york stuff. ideas sets should be a little more creative than this, they already have enough stuff to appeal to the mass market locations and can whip some of them up if need be.

they could make a USC British Sink that has individual taps for cold and hot water. or an architecture set for a sign claiming that it is out of order.

failing all of that, i think some cobblestone street set in the vein of the 60304 road plates would actually be pretty cool

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm still annoyed that the tube-station didn't make it through the review process

definitely one of hte cooler sets. i think you could even scale it down and do something similar to the Skyline sets where you have underground rail from cities around the world - London/Tokyo/New York/Paris/Moscow/Sao Paolo etc.

somethign in the style of this cute MOC i saw of the dutch countryside, but underground i guess? or include all metros. pr keep it at the current scale and just expand it to include more cities. idk

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

bird with big dick posted:

What are the enormous handguns in the Dutch countryside

they are enormous handguns. its to keep the germans out if they try and start poo poo again

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Taeke posted:

Cranes is the most logical answer, I guess, but they're not actually something you'd see like that.

Cool idea though, I might recreate something like that if I get around to it because that scenario was a daily occurrence for like half my life.

same, I also like micro MOCs a lot just because they're more easily attainable goals

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Flyinglemur posted:

Started it yesterday and almost immediately recognized that whoever designed this thing was an idiot. Super fragile. Like, a lot. Ran to the local Lego store and was able to secure myself some bricks from the Pick A Brick wall to help add stabililty. It wasn't ideal, but I don't have a whole lot of spare parts, and none that I needed for this. I took it back down to brick zero and started over, adding stability where I could.

lol at how common this ends up being

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Flyinglemur posted:

Oh no, trust me I realized it immediately lol. But this is also the first one I've ever done in real life, so I'm trying to be kind to myself :) I'm pretty proud of myself to be able to recognize the problem and come up with some solutions. It isn't 100% Lego quality but I will use these lessons going forward.

haha yeah, just to be clear the design does look really nice, especially at a minifig scale. i'm just laughing cause i was bitching about the fragility of moc/third party sets not even a half dozen pages back. its one of those funny design principles that Lego has perfected so well that you don't even realize they're doing it until you start loving around with stuff like this.

the cool thing especially is that these sets can actually end up being fairly rigid and secure in their finished state, so it's not a real problem when you're done. BUT its also insanely fragile during the building phase and it turns that part of it (which imo should be the most enjoyable part) into a total nightmare lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

in other news, i got the piano because i finally lost control of my life. this is a real big fuckerlord of a set. the pictures where they're pressing the keys give you a little idea of the sense of scale, but good fuckin lord its not the same.

i hope there's a dumb way of jerry rigging the play feature so that you can circumvent the app and you can add more 'playable' songs where you press a key and it plays a note. ideally getting this to work with poo poo like mario paint

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

xzzy posted:

Maybe I'm just showing my old man colors but I'm getting kinda tired of the constant barrage of brand new 1x1 pieces. It feels like whenever lego gets stuck in a creative corner they crank out a new piece to fix it.

its frustrating because 1x1s are the most useful fix, but also by god i hate loving with 1x1s

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Koramei posted:

At this point sure, but even like 5-10 years ago there was definitely a stigma around adults building Lego sets. That going away probably has a bunch to do with the general cultural milieu as of late (and Lego sets tbh looking much nicer than a decade or two back), but I bet pop culture IPs in Ideas have played a role.

i thing a really really huge part of it is just how the building techniques have changed. everything is much more professional and smoother and more 'model-esquel'. they really only leaned into studs not on top in, what, in the last decade or so? beyond the ideals pop culture stuff, i'd rather lean into a lot of architecture sets and other ideas stuff (saturn v) as bigger causes for the change in stigma. even if the architecture/creator expert sets weren't truly driving sales, they were definitely changing a lot of the standardized building techniques that the lego company was using. and im sure some historian can probably go back further to other fan MOCs and other ideas sets that were pushing this

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

thebardyspoon posted:

I think buying a big lego model for someone you aren't sure likes lego is still a bit of a toss up, they take up a lot of space in a home and are a bit of a time investment to build. If I wasn't into Lego and someone bought me a massive Lego set, I'd feel obligated to build it or guilty for not building it probably. Luckily nobody will buy me a Lego set though so don't have to worry about it, instead I just buy them for myself very occasionally.

my sister's birthday is today and i ended up being a complete psycho and got her the A-Frame Cabin, with the idea that she's about 8 months pregnant (well, less. i asked her if she had a month left and she said 'no, less than that' and then i asked her who's counting and she told me to gently caress off) and there's not a wide range of poo poo for her to really do. and this is all couched in that i'll treat her to dinner also, and i told her that if she just keeps the kit in the box, she can sell it in like 16 years to pay for her kid's college (assuming poo poo exists then).

i expect the set to be finished by the time i leave.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i don't know if k-pop people are the same, i am only assuming they are, but theres a lot of trashy anime merch out there that gets bought up by whales (who'll often buy like 3-10 copies of something, just for the collection). so, its probably not a big celebration of the fandom or group or whatever because it doesn't have to be. if you're a 'k-pop stan' or whatever, you'll buy anything

at least that's my assumption, i try not to think about this or anything at all

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Borsche69 posted:

my sister's birthday is today and i ended up being a complete psycho and got her the A-Frame Cabin, with the idea that she's about 8 months pregnant (well, less. i asked her if she had a month left and she said 'no, less than that' and then i asked her who's counting and she told me to gently caress off) and there's not a wide range of poo poo for her to really do. and this is all couched in that i'll treat her to dinner also, and i told her that if she just keeps the kit in the box, she can sell it in like 16 years to pay for her kid's college (assuming poo poo exists then).

i expect the set to be finished by the time i leave.

update: yeah that went quickly.

i think the only comment i have on the A-Frame is that for the same price and about 80 less pieces, it also feels way way smaller than the blacksmith. i guess its a scale thing, but the compact size really surprised me. not that everything needs to be a huge giant set - just more cause i'm looking at the site and there's a very direct comparison.

that said, the A-Frame contains an insane amount of interior decorating and custom pieces. like the blacksmith has a lot of interior design, but a lot of that is more brick built as opposed to printed poo poo. the stupid little fried egg piece you get on this is ridiculous. the guitar, turntable, hearth etc. all cool.

on the opposite side, the blacksmith has the billion sick roofing pieces so there's that.

both cool sets, nothing much wrong with either, just some dumb idle thoughts

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Carbohydrates posted:

No. IIRC 2022 had more approved Ideas from review than any year prior, iirc. The outrage is baseless.

baseless seems kinda extreme. if they're accepting one kind of ideas thing, they're not accepting another one. they all go through an approval process. and the sitcom location poo poo definitely got a lot more leeway than a bunch of cooler 10k sub, or 5-9k sub stuff got. they know that IP poo poo sells.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Borsche69 posted:

update: yeah that went quickly.

i think the only comment i have on the A-Frame is that for the same price and about 80 less pieces, it also feels way way smaller than the blacksmith. i guess its a scale thing, but the compact size really surprised me. not that everything needs to be a huge giant set - just more cause i'm looking at the site and there's a very direct comparison.

that said, the A-Frame contains an insane amount of interior decorating and custom pieces. like the blacksmith has a lot of interior design, but a lot of that is more brick built as opposed to printed poo poo. the stupid little fried egg piece you get on this is ridiculous. the guitar, turntable, hearth etc. all cool.

on the opposite side, the blacksmith has the billion sick roofing pieces so there's that.

both cool sets, nothing much wrong with either, just some dumb idle thoughts

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the submarine stuff is legit inspiring. please keep posting updates

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

EEKA GEEK posted:

drat, way cooler than this stupid ambulance thing. Should have waited!

i ended up biting just for the double points more than the ambulance. although given that im gonna be moving apartments in a few months, seems auspicious to go in on the moving truck

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

xzzy posted:

Since when did submarines get windshields?

wait until you hear about the doors on Polish submarines

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dogen posted:

I do like the old one but I'm curious what they can do with all the molds and 400ish more pieces. Makes sense as one to rerelease periodically, like they do with the non-ucs x-wings.

I legit thought the USC X-Wing was either still available or just retired, but I'm apparently confusing it with one of the million small to mid-scale ones that got popped out over the last like 5 years

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

boxen posted:

A little late for anxiety chat, but yeah building legos is about the closest I get to mediation. The best part of a lovely work week for me is driving over to the Lego store and finding something that tickles my fancy and building it over the weekend. It's like a craft hobby but there's no rear end in a top hat in the back of my mind commenting on how I'm not very good at what I'm trying to learn how to do.

i do it during wfh meetings that go on way too long and dont require much in the way of my input. it doesnt require so much of my attention that i can't follow along with the meeting, while also giving me poo poo to do

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

w00tazn posted:

$70 USD for the Executor Super Star Destroyer Diorama seems too much! even if it's like 630 pieces!!!

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/executor-super-star-destroyer-75356

the trench run thing is more pieces and looks cooler. but also otoh all these diorama things are overpriced by at least 10-20 bucks, if not more. star wars is its own poo poo obviously but good lord. its more expensive than the tie bomber and like 20 bucks more than the slave 1 boba fetts starshipTM

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

The 4x4 round brick that's designed to go with that turntable has a little nub on the inside that fits the notches on the outer ring of the turntable, giving the friction and clicking. Every other part that goes with it (eg 4x4 round plate) does not. As for why that is? I don't know, it would be useful to have a plate that you could click into a specific angle.

this thread ftw

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

The general rule of thumb is, if there's a set you're at least fairly interested in that's going into retirement it just makes sense to buy it yeah? There's an expensive one I can't really justify to myself, but I'm seeing no stock anywhere at retail price bar one place and I feel I need to pull the trigger. If I keep it in the mailing box and I change my mind, I feel I can always sell it on with only a small chance of losing money.

Alas the other rule of thumb I've been following is to buy any of the cheap-y sets I see at a discount, and now I've gone from having no interest in Speed Champions to having 5 of the things in the space of a weekend. And maybe two more in a cart.

Yeah this is the thought process I had behind getting the NES set. Honestly more for the TV than the NES itself (although the cartridge loader on the NES is a cute design, if flawed and requires a quick fix). Also planning on eventually doing a MOC where I replace the World 1-1 scroll with old CRT TV static/whitenoise.

That said the only sets I'm looking at getting in the coming year are the Typewriter and the Meji Castle architecture set. Finally burned through about everything that I really care for, although the Speed Champions stuff is insanely tempting from a price per part perspective. The McClaren is especially tempting because of need for speed nostalgia, even though the one in need for speed 2: special edition was a different model lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I ended up stumping up for it, it was the Assembly Square and I’m sure the availability will pick up again I just wanted to secure one. It’s definitely staying in the box til I 100% know I’m gonna do it, but it looks so fun I can see that happening.

The NES just looks so ridiculously great. When I first saw the video it felt like every 10 seconds they were blowing my mind with another feature.

it makes me feel all the worse for the atari set which just looks like a big missed opportunity. the set as a whole still looks nice, but the features/price point/techniques all just don't feel that interesting and are flawed (there's no locking mech for the hidden 'scene' so it'll just spill out if tilted).

i hope they do more stuff like this though, the CRT TV looks really great. i'd love to see their take on a vintage radio or turntable. think i might have posted some MOCs of that earlier in this thread. shouldn't complain too much cause it does feel like this is the golden age of lego taking advantage of weird techniques to produce some really creative stuff you wouldn't initially associate with lego

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Other posted:

People are allowed to be annoyed at the mods being unfunny yet again and acting like their hysterical for voicing that about it is also annoying as poo poo

it feels like the thread in particular is getting hosed with. like the move and subsequent move from BFC wasn't all that long ago. and its a weird thread to single out like this twice i guess lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

a mod either joking or not unironically thinking to themselves 'well we're trying to think of want we want to do with the lego thread'. hey, how about loving nothing for like 20 seconds.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

as someone who has the thread bookmarked because I like seeing what cool things people make

why do you give a poo poo where the thread lives?

also BYOB is a chill place that likes lego, why not live here for a while before moving on?

hey chill out no need to use curse words here

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

lol spent another day forgetting this got moved from HCH. everyone post their duplo builds

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Taeke posted:

I like the new colors and I think the people complaining are being overly sensitive after the last move. Also, I can't wait until my nephew is old enough for me to build sets with him. When I ordered the 3-in-1 castle I bought a second because I wanted to have both the castle and an alternative, but then decided to leave the second in the box for when my nephew is old enough. Then I got some points to spend on lego on our equivalent of amazon and I bought the 3-in-1 pirate ship for him. They'll be sitting in a closet for a couple of years but in like 3 or 4 yours he's going to have the best birthday ever.

e: No pets, sorry, so here's a lego pet for the new page:

this is better than the dachshund in the dog set they just released (which is what i sent my sister as a quick gift post pregnancy lol). are there any mocs for this? my sister and my parents both have dascshunds so this has been something in the back of my mind for a minute. that looks like a cool build and i haven't seen really good snoots built out in lego but i think i prefer that over lego's version

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

moana posted:

Nobody in BFC speculates in lego, there were some jokey posts about money stuff because that's what you do when a thread migrates into an unrelated forum and BFCers are chill(er than the lego thread). The Lego thread should not be moved again, though, because there is clearly a contingent of posters who have some Legos stuck up their rear end about it.

i think people just dont want change. which sounds insane when you put it to the lego thread where legos are about building and rebuilding and the like. but, again, this is the second time in a couple of months that the thread has gotten moved around which, when we're all old and slow, and want to keep things at a consistent pace, its not ideal.

im not even a regular poster i just liked checking in on the thread and only started posting in it recently. my worthless opinion is just to keep it byob. or bfc. or hch. just keep it somewhere for a minute. i dont have anything against moving threads as a goof but doing it repeatedly feels weird unless its the total purpose of that thread. like the wanderer byob/gws thread

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the typewriter finally came on backorder on the lego site so i snagged one. was checking the thing for like 4 months at this point before it finally popped up. between that and the NES and the piano, i am dumb with my money

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

could've gotten it way earlier off of amazon but gimme my goddamn points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

I have too many LEGO

Legos: I have too many LEGO

i have been packing and poo poo for my move tomorrow and i can confirm. i have too much poo poo. to the point where i just straight up got rid of that knockoff lighthouse of alexandria set. it didnt look all that great and wasn't a great build. probably should've salvaged it for pieces but its a lot of tan stuff and nothing that screams 'this is valuable and useful'