Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

bloodysabbath posted:

Why is it so loving hard for them to do a Wayne Manor with the basement as the cave?

Really, all I want is the Batman Returns Kenner Batcave in Lego form. That's all any of us want, if we're being truly honest with ourselves.

The Batman '66 set is getting more and more legendary, isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dogen posted:

Well, maybe it will be easy to BrickLink/assemble from black and grey and trans yellow parts you already have

I'm wondering the same thing. They'll probably have a custom mold won't they? Can those usually be ordered via pick a brick?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Veotax posted:

In theory everything that isn't licensed and not retired should be on Pick a Brick, eventually. Normally new parts won't be available for a few months, they're kept back to use for replacements and stuff, if needed.

If there's a custom part that's recognisably made just for the Batmobile, then it'll probably be licensed and we're just not allowed to sell it.
If a part is licensed, we're just not allowed to sell it outside of in sets. Sometimes licensed parts can be reworked in a different colour or with a different print and used elsewhere (the old Iron Man helmets get used for non-Iron Man stuff all the time, for example. Or the Minecraft wolf heads being used in the modular Police Station), but something that's ultra specific that can't be re-used as something else (like a Storm Trooper helmet) won't ever be put on Pick a Brick.
Ah that makes a ton of sense, thanks.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Carbohydrates posted:

new batcave set gwp just dropped

lmbo

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I feel like that mustang is a bit too thick in the middle , like one plate too low? I dunno how to describe it

Supra looks incredible

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

Last weekend I was at my inlaws grabbing some books for the nursery and they explained how they never threw out any toy ever and they just accumulated in their basement which lead me to discover:
A) Their son has a ton of cards
B) A ton of lego, including one of those monorails.

You're legally required to either say Jackpot like Dante, or Hell-oo-ooo like Mr. jackpots when that happens

Sunk Dunk posted:

nice i didn't know there was a lego thread. i recently got back into building the speed champions sets as a way to waste time, but i started going overboard

If you haven't yet, take the time to go back through the posts of users here, because a number of people make absolutely incredible custom speed champion style vehicles

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Aye Doc posted:

saw some folks on reddit speculating about the piece makeup of this, this thing is gonna have 3128 pieces and there's maybe 500-600 on the front of that and the rest is gonna be all support, my god this is going to be a miserable build isnt it

It would be pretty funny if they just slapped a baseplate on the back to hold eveyrthing together

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Gus (especially good at large animal builds) from Australian Lego Masters got a job with Lego.

That's great. I saw his finale build a few days ago and was absolutely blown away. If he can translate it down in size and make some 3 in 1s that would be wonderful.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm going to brickworld chicago next month with the family - I've never been to one of these events. What should we expect? We'll have a 7 year old with us, I want to manage expectations

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Flyinglemur posted:

I've never been but I imagine it will be a lot of pleading and begging to buy different sets and bricks and blocks and crying when the answer is no. But I have no idea what it's going to be like for your child

Yeah I guess I'm expecting a ton of MOCs to admire, then some play areas, and finally an area where people are trying to sell their own MOCs/minifigs/real sets and I should try my best to avoid that area. No clue though

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

I saw some knock-off lego trains last night. ANyone make a 65 dollar Big Boy?

You talking about this one?
https://www.yourwobb.com/products/jie-star-59005-the-bigboy-steam-locomotive?variant=40851767099548

Jiestar is one of the big knockoff manufacturers. Having actually seen the big boy in person (and very jealous my wife/kid got to see it moving, I didn't), it isn't nearly big enough as a lego set

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Xenomrph posted:

Did it seem worth it at that price? Because I’m not gonna lie, it looks rad.

nono I meant I saw the real big boy at this event. I haven't seen the jiestar one.

The amazon links are weird- I wonder if those places are buying from China and relabeling them?

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 24, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Waltzing Along posted:

Is that the one at the train museum in Sacramento?
I think so. It's done some national tours. it has a LOUD horn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYYzhjUzCOU

edit quick google says the Sacramento one is a replica

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

If LEGO made all the Lionel cold war space race bullshit but with Legos I would make a model railroad and become a train guy

I hadn't heard of this but it fits my theory on why model railroads were considered Adult but Legos/other toys weren't until the last decade or so.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Carbohydrates posted:

't'weren't I

Carbohydrates posted:

2. Steam engine, with x383 as the boiler. Honestly, most of the work on this build went into the train tracks.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I think it looks cute and would fit in well with a city. I'll probably try to make a modified version of it just with the minifigs we have around. I like the idea of them on little plates instead of standing, I can imagine my kid smacking a ball around with them

edit: also there appears to be a crank mechanism to rotate ads underneath the stands, which is pretty funny

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 25, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Infinitum posted:

Mate is a huge Spider-Man fan will love this

The sandman inclusion is cracking me up. Where's lizard though?!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I reckon if the cat does well they'll start putting out a lot more like that. Especially since one of their new designers is really good at detailed animals.

That's the Lego masters Australia guy right? I want his fox and wolves

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Waltzing Along posted:

I take most sets apart and put them away at some point. Because I need room for the NC Markets I am in the process of taking apart Jazzclub. I will also take down Galaxy Explorer because I am moving the A-Frame to that spot. To make room for the A-Frame I took down Sanctum Sanctorum and Tallneck. And so on.

Some people leave their sets up forever which makes me wonder what their houses are like. Mini LEGO museums?

What do you do with them once disassembled?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Grand Fromage posted:

Never seen a more "I don't have cats" set of pictures before.

Ha, I couldn't pinpoint why it looked so foreign but yep

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok I'll pay five bucks for it

I have that set at my dad's place and it's easily the lamest one from that era. I don't think I like any of the land Futuron stuff though, whereas the battrax is incredible

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Wow that art deco absolutely pops

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Skios posted:

I recently picked up the McLaren speed champions double pack, and the build techniques on the Solus GT are crazy even by speed champions standards. It's nine studs wide rather than the default eight, and besides the whole chassis being built from the ground up there's just so many cool new tricks in the thing.

I finally built it based on this post and wow. The whole undercarriage was really unexpected. I was pleased to see a lot of 1x5 plates in use as well.

It's kind of an ugly car with the crazy gap in the middle, but the back slope was fantastic and I loved that it was done courtesy of an extremely simple 1x1 headlight plate on each side , angled just a bit.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
That ugly hulk buster was probably designed during the beginning of COVID when everything was in flux and people weren't used to remote collaboration. Maybe some weird design instructions from supervisors too on how the legs should be thin (almost like the $10 sets). And who knows, maybe some time constraints on development the B model didn't have.

Celebrate the B model, no need to go back for more dunks on the original.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Based on lego masters australia, BURPS are actually the right solution to this. Flexible enough to use how you want, but not as expensive/time consuming as using other parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EZuwnQmP-k&t=210s video is sadly very shaky but useful info

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Piece 79850 is wild and looks insanely useful

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Carbohydrates posted:

https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/lego-10315-tranquil-garden-adds-a-touch-of-japanese-zen-to-your-lego-collection/

$110 USD / €105 EUR / £95 UK for 1,363 pieces. Looks delightful. The various trees and plants and such can be rearranged by preference. It has the "layered water" style of build like Ninjago City sets and the Lantern Festival used. Some new pieces and recolors. Already seen some folks musing about how small it is for the price, but it's on a 24 x 38 stud footprint, which is not exactly... small, and it's very dense.

Gorgeous

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Brickworld is absolutely insane , wow

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

xzzy posted:

Good insane or bad insane? I haven't been able to go since before covid.

Good. Crowded to get in with some line logistics but my expectations are surpassed by what's on display

Theres too much to see !

Edit the great ball contraption blew our minds

Editx2 the displays are probably 80% of the floor, 20% sales booths. I was expecting a 50/50 split at best and am real jazzed about this, even though it definitely got crowded after the first hour

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 17, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It's impossible to photograph the New Hashima cyberpunk setup but lol at the union getting brutally crushed by corpotanks

We ran into the a handful of people we know who were presenting/attending, then I was half convinced I knew another lady and it wasn't til I saw her son that I realized they were a Lego masters team

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 17, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Futanari Damacy posted:

I always feel like there's too much repetition/wasted space in those super-sized collaborative builds.

Having just been there, I don't think so. I'll try to upload pics later, but my big comparison would be the Louisbourg setup at the front vs the cyberpunk. Both were huge , but going super vertical for cyberpunk let them pack in huge amounts of detail and action and vignettes onto every floor. Louisbourg/brick I could barely even see details on since it was an accurate recreation you couldn't get up close to since it's so horizontal.

People need to do photos of it rather than videos, because it's absolutely jammed with stuff. My son was looking at the water level / bottom floor a lot, I was seeing stuff higher up. It is overwhelming at first glance and you need to stand there for a while looking at it all

Frankly the most impressive thing is how they get it to the show intact. Carbs I can see bubble wrapping his cars, but the big cities..how???

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 18, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dogen posted:

Maybe the press from having a murder near there will bump it to the top of the to do list

Can't wait to see the recreations with two minifigs halfway down the side of a foot tall stack of burps

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
https://youtu.be/sWS9CCe7hmc lmao at a 2 and a half hour interview about all the parts of the cyberpunk build. I can't get over how insane it was

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Carbohydrates posted:

I have been told by a reliable source that the LEGO Star Wars team tries every year to get a new shade of gray made and they're told "no" every time because the end user experience, especially when it comes to instructions, is terrible. Very light gray was deliberately killed for this reason.

Innovative idea for Lego: actually make the manual colors match the piece colors when both are freshly opened

Everyone who built starry night knows what I'm talking about

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

RatHat posted:

Neat. I like the semi-3D art sets

Do this with the ring girl coming out of the TV

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The McLarens are very cool and fun, I'm glad I got them. They were too intricate for my kid, which surprised me- he didn't enjoy the really specific build progress that takes a while to make sense.

And yeah, the price is great. Compare it with the upcoming Ahsoka ship - it should have 4 minifigs which is great, but is 599 pieces for $70. I laugh at that while deep down I know the second they do a Thrawn TIE Defender I'm going to be pounding down the door to relive my mid 90s fantasy

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Any tips for building/designing a truck in the speed champions style? I play the game Snowrunner a lot and it has a ton of licensed/knockoff trucks that I'd love to build in Lego, especially after having so much fun with the McLaren pack.

Should I start by picking a wheel size and building based on that for the frame? I have the unimog style snowplow truck and think it's wheel styles would be a great fit. I'm just not sure what to start for my "scale".

Preferably it would be an 8 wide, even though I know the big trucks are much bigger than cars (I'd probably use one of the smaller old timey truck). But 10 wide might make sense? I'm just not sure how to scale it to fit with minifig city cars , of which we have 4,6 and 8 wides.

The ones I see on brick link/rebrickable just don't look that great and I'd like to try designing something complicated myself. I just don't know how to scale it , I think

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 29, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Harvey Baldman posted:

Weird question, but my fiance is a LOTR fan and seems to have discovered the 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Gathering' set (79003) from 2012.

This thing is long out of production but I'd love to get it for her as a gift. What's the best approach for that kind of thing? The internet is showing me options that are many many hundreds of dollars and I'm guessing the secondary market is the only real option now?

I checked a half dozen bootleg clone sites and none of them have it. It seems really rare. Bricklink and facebook marketplace are the only places I think you can realistically find it, unless you want to part it out and get it without stickers?

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Basically yes. If you're giving it as a gift, you're probably looking to have it in a relatively undamaged box, which is going to make it expensive unless you're rich or insane. I know a couple of the knock-off companies have their version of that set if you're open to slightly wonky bricks, but other than that it's basically a crapshoot.

Where'd you find them? All I see is the JiSi 830 on brick4, and I can't find it for sale anywhere. I'm always hunting for these older cloned sets for my kid.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Sunk Dunk posted:

drat eldardo is kinda dwarfed by pirates of barracuda bay

That's crazy, especially since POBB only has 40 more bricks and was $15 cheaper (so about the same post price-increase)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

xzzy posted:

It's been headed this way for a while but I think at this point the part count is probably the worst way to compare sets. There's so many 1x1 pieces in use that it takes a huge number of them to build anything substantial.

"External dimensions" maybe? Not really an easy number to get or chat about. Does set weight matter?

Dimensions don't work either due to being hollow vs dense. Heck, the tall neck probably has giant dimensions vs its piece count.

I think you're onto something with weight. But those numbers aren't on brickset or lego.com, only on bricklink, so I'm not sure on accuracy.

Regardless,
city markets $370, 6076pieces, 7569g (outstanding value)
Rivendell $500, 6074p, 6890g
Batcave $550, 3981p, 7140g

That is a huge swing for the batcave. 2k fewer pieces than rivendell but heavier, pretty in line with price per gram for each other.

Edit
Pirates of barracuda bay ,$200, 2498p, 4510g. Huge value

A real good comparison are these two
Tall neck $80 at release/90now, 1190p, 1216g.
Galaxy explorer $100 (50 for us lucky folks), 1219p, 1758g.

So per piece tall neck is better value by a bit, by weight the explorer is much better which makes sense due to not being licensed.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 30, 2023