Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

CADPAT posted:

I was wondering what the hell you were talking about. Haha.

Slave I is the best so far. There are definitely some super weak sets here. I wish I had looked it up a bit more before buying it, but I didn't want to ruin it for myself.

I bought it for Santa Yoda and anything else is just a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Europa would've certainly made BrickWars easier.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Spaceman Future! posted:

They keep releasing these generic cruisers rather than:

Why the hate LEGO?

Seriously. I'd buy the gently caress out a Nebulon-B. Even moreso a UCS Neb-B.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Gabriel Pope posted:

I bet the hedgehog poops all over the ball turret, though. They're going to have to wash him out with a hose.

But yes, that's pretty awesome.

Well they tended to need to wash ball turrets out with hoses anyway.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's this: http://www.amazon.com/BTTF-DeLorean-DMC-12-V3-0-Custom/dp/B005G43UTI
Or straight from the supplier: http://www.ichibantoys.com/BTTF-DeLorean-DMC-12-V3-0-Custom/dp/B005G43UTI?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Cbouncerrun posted:

Do the Mines of Moria come with a Balrog?

If they do, that's two sets I -have- to buy.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Maybe that set won't get made, but if there's enough interest in it, it could mean some kind of official Lego western theme coming back.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

VaultAggie posted:

Holy poo poo that sith fighter looks awesome. :swoon:

Yeah, it's from SWTOR, and I can't wait.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

kazmeyer posted:

If they release the smuggler ship, they'll reel me in.

That'd rule, too. You could use it to flip all your other Lego off.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think their scales can easily detect the weight difference of even a single of the smallest part, but there's point where it's not economically feasible to open and check the bag when it's such a small variance. I would assume they check everything if it's underweight, and only check overweight items if it's more than whatever a standard 2x4 bricks weighs.

I remember reading stories when I was a kid how Nintendo could weigh an entire palette of NES boxes and the scales could detect whether they forgot to include a single mail-in card in one box.

I used to work for a pharmaceutical manufacturer, they weighed barrels of pills to the nanogram for FDA/DEA purposes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Rythe posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet so here is a neat interview/article http://www.wlwt.com/r/30568783/detail.html CNN did with the creator of this.

Not only do I love Lego, I love Mario Brother just as much and this level was hell but looks amazing in Lego.

I immediately heard the music in my head.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I'm pushing hard for that Western town on Cuuso.

Now you're making me actually want LEGO train sets.

Yeah I really want the western stuff, and a western train would rule.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

http://www.geekologie.com/2012/03/shaun-of-the-dead-winchester-bar-lego-se.php

I want this. Very badly.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Mr. Glass posted:

Sometimes those stupid yuppie toy stores in Shadyside have minifigs, so they might be worth a look. I'm assuming you already checked at Target?

I didn't know anyone else even knew of Shadyside. That's where my Aunt lives, and basically my whole family is from that area.

Small world this internet.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Mr. Glass posted:

I'm talking about the relatively small, affluent neighborhood of Pittsburgh; are we talking about the same thing? If so, I picture your entire family in polos and plaid shorts

No. I was talking about Shadyside, OH, which is in Belmont Co. It borders WV.

It's the poorest piece of poo poo in the nation.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

"Why does he want the money? I don't know."

How can you not know?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want them to make this and price it realistically just to illustrate how stupid it is.

In Lego's official comments, they've already stated that they can't release this as is because they don't have an action figure license from Lucas Arts, and then they go on to say that even if they did, this would be really expensive and only appeal to a limited market.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Now I really want to go home and play Railworks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Schindler's Fist posted:

This just in from the aviation thread in Automotive Insanity, Rolls Royce are showing a 150,000 piece LEGO jet engine model at the Farnborough airshow: http://www.airport-world.com/news-articles/item/1705-rolls-royce-reveals-world%92s-only-lego-jet-engine :catstare:

With all those pieces, it probably cost as much as a real jet engine. :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

Glory be, a new old robot!

And zounds, is that a Shakespeare? There's only one solution: Robot Shakespeare.

No, it's Hamlet. Shakespeare just wrote the play. :spergin:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I love these new Duplo books. My son is having an amazing time with me reading him the story, and then the two of us building the models (the farm animals in this case).

He has two buckets of Duplo already, but nothing with instructions. It's fun to watch him realize how things go together to make shapes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sockser posted:

I hereby withdraw most of the bad things I've said about K'nex. Most of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xFZ_GMh63Y

Doesn't score like a real skeeball machine, not interested.

:goonsay:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's also the Hogwart's Express, but it's not really any cheaper.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Dogen posted:

If they said "Lego" then yeah that would be a trademark problem. On copyright it would be eligible for protection, but I don't know how similar they would have to be (idea-expression dichotomy). You can't protect the idea of a block built train, but you can't exactly copy it. Not sure where that line would be in this hypo.

It really comes down to who has the most money in their legal department, but my guess would be that the company making the knockoff doesn't care, would never show up to court, and would still make these trains.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This past weekend I went to Leonard's Mill in Maine, which has a functional waterwheel-driven band saw.

Looking at it, I immediately realized it could be done in Lego except one part: the ratcheting system that moves the wood forward.

Basically, there's a gear with angled teeth so as the saw moves in the cutting direction, the piece of wood slides forward, but as the saw resets, the wood doesn't move (so the saw doesn't snag).

But I don't think I've ever seen a ratchet gear in Lego. Do they exist?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Pics here, though only one for each set which has surfaced before: http://www.brickset.com/browse/years/?year=2013&Theme=Star%20Wars

All new sets, except The Hobbit afaict: http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=4500

A Z-95 Headhunter? Holy poo poo.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hamburlgar posted:

It's this Frodo:

The sets due for release have changed from their initial iteration from the Xmas/city/friends theme to the Avengers/LoTR ones I have listed.

That's uh... that's a sausage, right?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="409421080"]
FYI target's leaked Black Friday ad have the black pearl for $75, door buster.

Well that is awfully tempting. I need another to, er, "display" with my Imperial Flagship.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

einTier posted:

Even if they had to locate a used one and pay the $200 market value, they easily got thousands of dollars worth of advertising out of it.

"Goodwill of Orange County". That kind of says it all.

We have a Goodwill in the good part of town, and it's the same story. You'll see all manner of good, lightly used, high dollar stuff. Basically, these are people with outrageous amounts of money. It never occurs to them to sell it on Craigslist because they're never on Craigslist and they can't be bothered to deal with it. Better to just take the tax write off for something you don't want and are never going to use again.

Suppose these people make 10 times what you make now. Would you really dick around with CL to get rid of an item that will net you $5? I won't. It's not unreasonable that some of these people make 50 or 100 times what you do. Would you do it for $0.50? gently caress no, you wouldn't.

It's in Santa Ana, which is not a bastion of rich, bored housewives like you see on TV. Not -all- of Orange County is wealthy.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

einTier posted:

:stare: Sounds like you've got some homework this weekend.

In other news, I did a bad, bad thing. I was in WalMart for various reasons, and stuck on the shelf were five Black Pearls. Almost all of the boxes were damaged in some way, some significantly. I double checked the contents, and even on the open boxes, all the pieces were there -- figs, ship, instructions, poster, sails, all of it.

Talked to the manager, got a buy four get one free deal, essentially (20% off). I ended up buying them. I'm still not sure I did the right thing.

By the way, LEGO group makes the figs really hard to steal. There's one in each bag, and sometimes parts for each fig are spread across multiple bags in that bag.

So um... are you looking to sell one of those maybe?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Fayez Butts posted:

though yeah the back end is sort of halfassed and doesnt have 'engines'

Obviously it's using ion pulse projection to propel it through space. Duh!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

http://www.brickset.com/parts/?part=6016636

Flounder!?

E: Must be: http://cache.lego.com/media/bricks/5/2/6027622.jpg

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Gabriel Pope posted:

It's pretty much an unmitigated positive.

Except it looks weird on the bottom.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sair posted:

I thought you train nerds might like this

That owns.

I need to know how to make this, or someone needs to get it done on Cuuso.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Szymanski posted:

Some nice WWII style aircraft on http://conceptships.blogspot.co.uk/

Lego Crimson Skies? Yes please!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The chainsaws were great to put on the bottom of ships as chainguns.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Koramei posted:

drat technic has come a long way since I last saw it, those things look like actual vehicles rather than just skeletons!

I kinda want that crane, and I have no reason other than it looks amazingly fun to build. I don't even know where I'd put it....

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sockser posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait WAIT WAIT WAIT

Are you telling me that that gorrilla mech with a banana chain gun is an official Lego set?

Chima is the best loving thing ever.

Seriously wanna play some Donkey Kong Country now.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Dreadbot posted:

It's disappointing to see that they're using a minifig-scale R2 unit again for the new UCS X-Wing (the old one had the same issue). It looks completely ridiculous with that little thing completely dwarfed by the size of the model (like in this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/92090133@N04/8476481324/in/photostream/), and yet they tout it in the press release as a major feature of the set.

Seems about right to me:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

Psssh, that's nothing. I once bought a Warhammer army from SA-Mart and got a nice big 2-inch-long dead cockroach sitting smack dab on top of everything.

Also, another thing I bought was packaged in a box that was three times too big with nothing but a towel to cushion it. Everything got destroyed.

Goons do not have the best track record for quality/not gross shipped goods.

That's why it's better to just meet at, say, a BJ's or something....

:v: