Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I come here to confess. The GF and I just shelled out 220€ for a Lego model. We bought the Tower Bridge.
Granted, it will be our equivalent of an expensive painting on the wall but it still is a lot of money for what is essentially 50 bucks worth of plastic bricks.
I will post a picture when it is built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I saw it in a Lego store and fell in love with it. I have very fond memories of London and love the place, so this was actually a no brainer. I had a great chat with the guy in the store about DIY options to display Lego sets and he told me the set will be phased out in June/July so I had to grab it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am getting serious withdrawal symptoms here. I ordered my Tower Bridge on the 11th and the order status is still 'at the warehouse'. Is that a normal timeframe?
Last time when I ordered a small set it arrived within 4 days.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Big K of Justice posted:

Any thoughts on the Jurassic World sets?

I saw it out in stores earlier this month,and I'm surprised no one is talking about them yet. I'm thinking of getting the raptor chase set, because it was the scenes I worked on in the movie and it's about time I get a lego set based on a film I worked on.

Good reason, I would do that if I was in your position, as a cool memorabilia thing.
However, in general, with more and more licensed stuff coming out, I am getting more and more reluctant to buy anything. I know all my money will go into Dr. Who stuff and the Dimensions game and packs once they come out, but I just can't warm up to the myriads of money sinks they put out these days.
Since I don't play with the sets but rather display them, I look for nice looking models (like the tower bridge with its insane price that will go in a custom "frame" on my wall instead of an oil painting or some other expensive art) instead of kids toys. Therefore most of the sets are not very appealing to me. And the Jurassic worlds sets offer little in terms of visual appeal.

But that is just me.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 15, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
^^^ I like the display case, did you have that custom made?

Wow that was fast. They shipped the Tower Bridge Saturday and it is here already. And now I have to wait staring at the package for a week before I can open it.
Why you ask? Because we have guests coming over the weekend. 3 and 8 year old guests. With tiny hands that grab at everything. Lego is no child's toy, it is serious busin... oh wait.
Anyway, seriously I can't start building until next Monday, because otherwise I risk little kids tampering with it and losing parts... meh. On the upside, next monday is a holiday.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah OK, I was thinking of maybe getting that for my normal (non collectors edition) x-wing, emperors shuttle and various minfigs. However it tseems to have rather wide open slits around the door and the at the "seams" that will let dust in? Any experience re that?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I went and bought a bunch of the series 2 minifigs yesterday. Standing there for 30 minutes feeling up an almost full display box totally did not make me feel weird at all.
Well, I managed to get 13 of them, no duplicates.
Now I only need Martin, CBG and Hibbert. The latter will be tricky to distinguish from Homer.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Oh god worst case scenario. I just opened the tower bridge and one bag is not sealed. It is open slightly and parts fell out.

What is the best plan of action? Build it and then write to them if a piece is missing? Or Notify them as a heads up and ask for a parts list for the bag?

Do you have any experience with such a case?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Assuming the box didn't have any holes in it and only one bag opened you should be able to just assume they are all from that bag. probably a non issue unless there is something I'm missing.

Unfortunately it seems the bagbwas never fully closed, kind of like a piece is missing. So things may have dropped out before boxing up.
I'll just have to start buildung and hope for the best.
Bit stupid with 4k parts. I may be missing a part and not realize for hours while searching for it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Alabaster White posted:

Oh god. It's a 2010 set. It doesn't have numbered bags :gonk:
Whoever thought up the numbered bags was a genius. I can't imagine how long it would take to build a 4000+ piece model just searching through piles. Imagine how much space that would take up since you have to dump everything out at once?

Apparently it does not have numbered bags because it is "creator EXPERT level" and that is part of the challenge. I could do without this extra hassle but I wanted that model so meh.

Edit: Apparently all pieces of the same kind are in one bag. So I just had to go through the one bag and compare all different part kinds to the list of parts in the back. If the numbers on one type are off it means one is missing. Bingo! One part is missing!

poo poo.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 20, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Benway posted:

It's Lego. Improvise.

E: Unless that was sarcasm that just went right over my head because I haven't had enough coffee yet

Well I might have that part as a spare anyway (white 1x1 with side connection).
However, I will still order the part. This is essentially 20 € worth of plastic bricks they sell for 220€. The least I can expect is to get all parts. Isn't it?

(Not mad, just saying)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I regret not buying that one. But at the time it would have been an unjustifiable expense due to my financial situation.

I will heed your advice. I plan to buy a bunch of ziplock bags for the small parts and will sort them first

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Aw drat, I will have to buy a PS4 for this won't I? Or is there any talk of a PC version at all?

Also: will the dlc packs be limited time? I'd hate to miss out on one of them.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah well, I guess I might grab them before I even get the base game.

Wiz of Oz will be a hit because it is completely new.
Back to the Future will be because it appeals to manchildren of our age with a lot of disposable income, kids don't "get" that set they don't know the movies.
Portal will be hugely popular.
Probably also Wonder woman.

They are all based on IPs that appeal to one huge fanbase or another.

Also:

Gravy Jones posted:

PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Wii U, Xbox 360 officially. I guess 3DS and/or iOS might happen in the future.

Well, there really is only the PS4 in this list, that offers other future use beside the Lego game. (I already own a 360 but it is outdated by now.)

Hopper fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 21, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Finished the Tower Bridge build with the GF. It took us 7.5 hours.
We did not sort the parts but dumped them into the lower half of the cardboard box it came in and a large kitchen bowl (bags with small parts).
The building was fun, and we built for 1-2 hours at a time over several days.
Since you basically build 2 identical towers with 2 identical connection bits and 2 identical side roads, this model lends itself perfectly for 2 builders.

On your own, this can be a repetitive build as you will be doing a lot of identical stuff for the 4 sides of one tower and then the same again for the other tower.

Overall a nice model but it is a bit flimsy due to the tower walls being thin and the hollow interior. Could do with some custom reinforcement.

On the other hand this allows easy customizability with LEDs to illuminate the windows from within.

I can't wait to put this on display in our living room.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Quick question, any idea when Ecto 1 will be discontinued? Could it be replaced by BBT?

EDIT: Scratch that, ECTO 1 is GONE FROM THE SHOP. Need to order elsewhere QUICKLY

Hopper fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 3, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Tomorrow's a holiday but I will ring up the local lego store Asap on Friday. If they still have an Ecto set I'll ask them to reserve it for me to pick up.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Alright, clever move Lego.
Apparently the Ecto 1 had only "disappeard" from the Lego store for a couple of days. Of course I panic bought one at normal retail price at a third party vendor, missing out on my sweet VIP points, which now sits next to me in the office as it just got delivered.
I just went to check out the store and ecto is back. What gives?

Sorry for the false alarm.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

It doesn't stop!

I genuinely think we're in for a whole line of Doctor Who sets here. There seems to be so much being made, including unique new moulds/parts that just a single Ideas set wouldn't suffice.

I will order any and all Dr Who sets from Amazon ASAP even though I won't buy the base game, too expensive.
However, none of these Dr. Who sets show up if I search for Dimensions on Amazon.de or .co.uk. What gives?

OH MY GOD: If Lego Doctor 12 dies, he will regenerate from 1 through 12 again, you can play ALL the doctors with one figurine....

Hopper fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 9, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Man Lego is basically never reduced that far in Germany. At least no regular clearance Sales.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I can get the deep seas submarine set 60092 for 20€ instead of 30€. I have been eyeing the deep sea sets for a while because I like the theme and it would make for a pretty cool diorama in either a (empty) fishtank or a modified picture frame.

Any opinions on it? Is it as nice at it looks in the pics?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I used to have 6825 and the one above it (6826?) as a kid... Sadly before I rediscovered Lego I gave them away to friends kids...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Scratch that I'm dumb

Hopper fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 20, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I was dreading to have to sticker Ecto 1, but in that set every GB symbol is printed on the bricks. I was pleasantly surprised.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I want get the BBT set and right Lego Germany includes a winter soldier minifig. Do I want that fig?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

I didn't realize that there is both online "Pick-a-Brick" and "Bricks & Pieces". They seem basically the same, except for having different pieces/colors available and different pricing. Very odd.

According to the customer phone line, pick a brick is "standard" pieces they offer whereas Bricks and Pieces is actually ALL the pieces you can order. I wanted to order two additional blue baseplates for my tower bridge (I need to cut them so it fits the wall mount) and did not find them so I called up and she explained the difference as I stated above. Hence why one is on the store page and the other under the "missing a piece" support section.
Why exactly they split it up :iiam:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

These just came down the belt at work. The box they were supposed to be in came down a few minutes later. RIP :(

hmm depending on where you work claim insurance and keep the sets? maybe you can assemble 1 functioning set from them?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah ok I thought you might work in a toy store/retailers. Never mind then.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Oh man. This will be one expensive as hell game.
I hope they don't go the Englanders way with you needing to buy a new portal with each year's new game.
Plus any word on a PC Version?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Okay, so is there any reports yet of the difference between the xbox360 and new gen versions? I don't own a PS4 yet and I don't really want to buy one just for this game. Even if it may well be tje lego fame to end all lego games.
100€ is steep as hell for the starter set and the must have dr who, GB, and Bttf Sets will cost another 150 easily. I would like to avoid having to spend 300 on a PS4

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ika posted:

I saw a stormtropper polybag with nothing but a stormtrooper for 4 euros here in toysrus. I thought lego wasn't allowed to do only figures.

That would be the stormtrooper seargent. I was thinking of buying it. Polybags are an exception afaik.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well I was going to get my first Christmas piece but the set is...bleak? It seems not very festive.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ask you missus to help, we did in a total of 7.5 hours, but we split it over several days to avoid finger pain, since we basically type for a living and the pain slows you down.

Also, I just learned the missus will be doing marketing interpretation for Lego with kids focus groups again soon. It rocks because a) she I usually get a little lego gift and b) she gets to see a lot of early design studies. When I showed her the video of this years christmas model she was like "Oh yeah thats [Andy?] I worked with him before."

Yes, I freely admit I am jealous of my GF's job.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 24, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Why 2 ? Good investment?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I kinda like those star wars buildable chars. Especially Vader and Boba.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Going to check out the Lego Store in Munich Pasing tomorrow. Haven't been there and just saw I unexpecteldy have got 600€ more than I thought in my pocket money account... I will need a lot of impulse control tomorrow

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am actually going by what I like, I'll get Dr. Who, Stay Pufft, and Marty for starters
Simply because I am huge Dr. Who fan, Puft and slimer will be a nice addition to ecto and the GF likes BttF. And that will cost 80 € or more without any game to play.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Weird discovery. I picked up the German July-December catalogue at the lego store and it lists Santa's Toy factory as Christmas model not the toy shop. I am new to Christmas Lego but I thought those were the same everywhere?

I also wanted to grab the series 14 gargoyles for the GF.
Ended up teaching the new staff what to look for when feeling the figs, even though I never did it before on this series. It's not that hard, why do so many people have problems? It took me 15-20 minutes to feel a complete set.....

Which I subsequently bought of course because impulse control is harder than feeling for minigifs.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Have you seen them up close?
I saw them both today and well, the Tie is really clunky up close. The canopy(?) Doesn't seem round because of the many edges and it doesn't have much detail (given the wings being flat shapes). Slave 1 looks much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It seems the pricing for the Dimension sets also suffers from license fees. There are fun sets such as Dalek + Cyberman for 14,99 € listed on Amazon.de and the fun set with Slimer and the one with Stay Puft are 24,99 €.
I thought these were alle one price depending on team pack, fun pack or level pack. Seems That isn't the case. Mind you, these are preorder prices but it seems weird still.

No matter what, they are way too expensive...

Halloween set is out in Germany: http://shop.lego.com/de-DE/Su%C3%9Fes-oder-Saures-40122?fromListing=listing
Bit of a let down. The leaked Thanksgiving set looks much nicer. I hope that comes to Germany.

Also the City and Friends advent calendars, not the Star Wars one though...

Hopper fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 1, 2015