Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Are people still having problems finding Benny's Space Squad? Because my local target had a huge pile of them just now. The drought might be over, as some predicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

The problem is the scalpers thought right at the start is when it would have value. Had they waited until it was discontinued, then the price would go up and stay up. That pink figure is gonna be $20+ I bet.

It's also possible that Lego has gotten wise to this and has a specific "scalper bait set" distribution, where the first wave is disproportionately small and the second wave unusually slow, to get scalpers thinking that they're in for another Monsters Zombie situation and whip up a buying frenzy before stocking shelves to capacity.

Also, the fist-spaceship was on the shelf and I got to see first-hand the glory of the dinosaur-driven miniships. It is glorious.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Except I’d say swapped in every month is EXTREEEEEEMELY optimistic.

I’d say at my local stores, stuff rides it out for the better part of half a year sometimes...

Depends on the store. At Disney Springs it seems like some buckets don't even last a week, and Travis bricks and the like abound.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am really digging this weird theme. That school bus is great.

https://twitter.com/laughing_place/status/1096764548852244480?s=20

Neat albino gator

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Carbohydrates posted:

The side effect of this is I can have a John Wick with glowing red eyes.

Pics?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

deoju posted:

Lol at the camera and minifigure not in a space suit in 60225. Is that a set faking the moon landing?

I think it's more like Mark Watney and Mindy Park from The Martian, like it's depicting two different scenes on two different planets. Shame we can't see the back of the box.

E: wait I lied, there is an image of the back but it doesn't help. I'm still going with the idea that the tech is at Kennedy and the Astro is on Mars.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 23, 2019

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
More importantly, brother brick just posted images of the new Jurassic Park animated series sets, including a t-rex shaped exo-suit, for some reason.

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/04/24/full-images-of-lego-jurassic-world-sets-from-legend-of-isla-nublar-animated-mini-series-news/

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
It depends heavily on the store. I haven't gone in quite some time, but the Disney Springs store has never really had the same stuff anytime I've gone, and I'm talking a couple weeks apart in a lot of cases. That said, it's also obscenely busy. Slower stores probably have a more regular schedule.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

Kind of like how at the self checkout at stop and shop you just hit "forgot my card" and it inputs a default card for you automatically, don't even need to be a member. I bet a lot of stores are the same

This only works in certain states, because some states have laws that sort of, in the right light, make store membership cards illegal and people would rather not tempt the dragon.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Scipiotik posted:

Lego Tower game by Nimblebit in beta.

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-tower-open-beta-gestartet-ausprobieren/81651

Just google translate that page and it'll tell you what hoops to jump through if you want in on it.

Or just click through and scroll to the last paragraph. The first link (diesen Link) goes to the iOS beta, the second to the Android.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
In case anyone needed a review on Lego Tower, it's a Skinner box idle game. I had it installed for about two hours and spent less than 15 minutes playing the game. Engagement is rewarded with a premium currency, but very little of it.

It's transparently a reskin and I've never even played the original. The Lego features are all customizations, nothing is inherently Lego about the game.

I uninstalled it because the option to disable notifications doesn't work and that's one thing I will not gently caress around on.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 7, 2019

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Hips, head, and it looks like the base of the tail. Not the legs.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I have amassed a... problematic amount of Lego across my life. Like five Rubbermaid tubs.

I don't want it gone, I just want less. A lot less. It's become unmanageable.

A lot of it is small $10-20 sets from about 2006 to 2014. I was buying sets to manage my anxiety and I tossed all the boxes and instructions do I don't even really know what I have, but this weekend I'm going to try to sort out sets to sell. I'll be posting an SA-Mart thread in the next two weeks, and I'll post here when I do.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
They could make one $500 set with instructions to build 4 or 5 different classes. Worst case scenario it still sells, best case scenario is sells 4-5x more. L

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

It said "master builders?"

I think they're using it euphemistically, rather than seeking actual registered MBs

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
No Ford or Jeep licensing issues with the Research Center, which is what people have been talking about wanting since Lego got the license. Instead we got a gate that's out of scale with everything else, which nobody wanted or asked for.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Squashy Nipples posted:

I building the old Sopwith Camel "Sculpture" set to make sure it's complete so I can sell it. It came from my folks house, I think it was my dad's?

Anyway, some really cool design work on this thing... and a few blatant rule breaks, such as laminating bricks together with stickers. Meaning that you can't FULLY disassemble it.

When was the big rule purge? 2005 or so?

I don't think multi-brick stickers have ever been against the rules, it's just something designers try to avoid. But yes, they played fast and loose with connection rules in a lot of the earlier "adult" sets.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

FBS posted:

Is this an official LEGO thing or did you just find a scan somewhere online?

Go to any set page on the Store, scroll down, and click Building Instructions.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Controversial opinion: Moc instructions should be free/royalty free anyway imo. It’s galling to see what some people charge for them.

If they were, some people wouldn't make them anymore. Years ago someone on Reddit offered a bounty if someone could reverse-engineer a Stargate MOC with a working dial (the inner ring spun) that was popular in the 2000s. I tried, poo poo took like 50 hours and I still failed. Some MOC work is straight-up engineering, and you should support the people who do it if you like cool MOCs.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

parque bynch posted:

Well now I want a Stargate.

Well the trick to the one I was doing was that the inner ring is a single solid piece, and the outer is a track that rolls around it. It's powered from the bottom, inside the base.

I don't have my model files anymore, but it was very sought after and I wasn't the only one working on it. I don't think anyone ever finished. I know we all had the inner ring 100% done, it was easy given the pictures.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

You have a BMW logo, but where's the BMW

Like we said, he nailed the used car lot aesthetic.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

OSU_Matthew posted:

Forgetting ships for a second, I have to say this is my favorite ideas set I’ve come across:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/874084e7-3ecb-410f-a18b-e7451ae5f2a8

Would love to see some more landscape and park stuff!

Holy poo poo that's awesome. Caves are like half of what I built as a child, since I had like nine hundred BURPs.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Ideas has an iron-clad contract you must agree to every time you submit a design that transfers ownership of the design tot them and says that you're not entitled to any payment unless you get selected, and even then at their sole discretion.

That's what changed. You can't EULA a mailbox, but they EULA'd the hell out of the Ideas system.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Dogen posted:

Definitely a synergy there

Right? I've had no desire to build anything at all since I stopped smoking.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'll be buying that Haunted Mansion and the Space Shuttle day 1, and I might get the Satellites too, but the other ones are ehhh.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

It would be cool if they started making special versions of standard bricks with conductive studs on them, but I imagine that's cost prohibitive. But I figure it'll be similar to the power functions lights, with some new element designs around the lights themselves.

They've done it before with a limited selection of bricks during the Mindstorms era. I think the only ones were 2x2 and 2x4

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The other problem with the Prowler is that not enough bricks are available in purple, so you probably couldn't make the car its iconic color.

I know Prowler People disagree, but I think the car looks real dumb in most other colors.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
If you're near a Lego store you could go to the Pick A Brick wall and grab small handfuls of any brick that inspires you. It's probably the cheapest way to get an assortment of parts, and who knows, you might find it's a fun new financially crippling addiction.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Carbohydrates posted:

LEGO Masters: Feels like it wasn't thought through too much.

Anyone want to start a thread in TVIV? We have a title.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

So y’all made a thread to discuss the Lego show, and you just continue to discuss it in here?

Right? Don't get me wrong, I love dunking on Lego Masters but I was hoping all the new posts in this thread meant news.

Lego Masters Thread

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

I would actually be into that if I actually had any matching parts to go with them. It's hard to make stuff in Lego's more interesting colors without it costing an arm and a leg on bricklink.

Pick A Brick sometimes has amazing parts in rare colors. If there's a Lego Store near you it might be worth a look occasionally.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Galidor was brilliant and underappreciated. The protagonist could glinch, which is like shapeshifting except only for arms, and only for arms he'd seen (think Weird Ben 10) and those arms gave him the ability to do stuff he couldn't do with his normal arms. What kind of stuff? He could lift heavy things, do karate (arms sometimes come with knowledge!), cut things, hack computers, shoot mans, uh, fly (with wings instead of arms), uh, did I say shoot mans? Also sometimes he can do more than one of these at once.

Also he's looking for a key, but the key is in pieces. He has to get all the pieces of the key before the bad guys do or something bad will presumably happen.

Also his dad died at the beginning of the series but he's not really dead and Ben 10 Nick finds out in the last episode ever.

Come on, guys, does that not sound radical? Have you never seen someone else and been like "gotta have those arms"? Just stealing arms, left and right, crazy.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Straight White Shark posted:

I'm not sold on the execution of LEGO Mario and I have no personal interest in the sets but the general concept of an action figure that reacts to things you build with lego is going to be catnip to little kids. Dunno if that will be enough to carry the line but just because the concept is not "sell nostalgia bait to aging nerds" doesn't mean that it's a guaranteed failure.

Goons are terrible at understanding that a product is not a bad idea just because it's targeted at a demographic they're not in.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

FBS posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DIY > K'NEX

Man, I used to have the K'NEX Roller Coaster, Big Ball Tower, and Ferris Wheel when I was a kid. The really big ones. I put the Roller Coaster and Ferris Wheel together so they could be run by one motor, which made half of my bedroom look like a theme park. It was neat.

K'NEX aren't super durable, but they're the cheapest way to make huge megastructures. I think the Roller Coaster was like $200 and a full six feet long.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus custom 3d printed minifig heads are not cheap.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Brawnfire posted:

Every time I think I'm ready to photograph my space command center, another part is added. I was going to first photo it when it was just the command center proper, and then suddenly I added a laboratory. And then, a small robotics lab. Then a robotic claw crane. Then a garage, and a hover-vehicle to go in it. Now I'm working on a multi-antenna communications tower... The only thing that I think will stop me is when I run out of parts.

The minifigs I assembled for them are becoming impatient, awaiting the command center in their blue baseplate void

Post pics?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
E: not continuing a derail.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

A Bad Poster posted:

Wouldn't be too difficult to make some clear plastic pieces that would fit the set, if it's super annoying.

You could easily cut pieces of clear thin vacuum-form plastic to fit, and they're flexible enough to just bend to the contour of the window. One small sheet, like a 12x12, would probably get you enough material for two or more cars' worth, too.

I don't know where to buy it online but it's like $2 apiece at our local surplus store when they have it.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

Found a bunch of these in an old Lego box connected together with bars, and every single one snapped as I pulled them off.

By far the largest issue I've been facing in trying to rebuild sets out of my very large collection to sell has been broken c-clips. I think I have five unbroken battle droid arms out of about forty. And it's not just arms, I have broken 1x1s with c clips by the dozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ExParrot posted:

Both ends of the arms for these guys broke for me almost instantly back when I got the Republic Gunship, it mist have been that colour, I remember the clips being really stiff.

They feel like a different plastic to me, like they used the star wars sets to test run a new manufacturing process for one-off custom pieces.

And since every single one I've ever owned broke to the point where I don't even have one complete Super Battle Droid, I'd say it failed.

E:

quote:

But my vote for worst would go to the Mars Mission aliens:

These I'll give a pass because they fit into little sleds that could shoot through pneumatic tubes. If they had moveable arms or connectors they'd be really easy to accidentally get jammed in the tubes.

quote:

And Aldar Beedo:

But I've never seen this before and it is indeed inexcusable.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 10, 2020