Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Speaking of which, the Apollo Lander is available right now: https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/NASA-Apollo-11-Lunar-Lander-10266

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If you really want to be :smith: about space-themed sets that *should* exist but don't:

That is/was/might still be on display at the Perot Museum in Dallas.

And more pictures of the same build from the builder: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tamumick/albums/72157630522140286

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 1, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It says it's adhesive-backed so I'm thinking it's just a sticker, not an actual patch.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gann Jerrod posted:

I was at Legoland California today, and saw two exclusive sets I haven’t seen before, the Driving School and Legoland.

The Driving School was $20, and Legoland was $90, which seems like a very good price for the brick count.

When you factor in the admission price for Legoland California, you honestly should get the best pricing imaginable on any set you buy there. The UCS Millennium Falcon should honestly cost $699 there because you're paying nearly $100 to get in.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

IIRC, you can get a special pass to just enter the store there that doesn't cost you anything.

Ah, never mind, then. Good to know since I'll *eventually* visit San Diego and might take the time to visit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh, if you're mentioning Tukwila - they sell *some* Lego sets at the Boeing Store at King Field near the Museum of Flight. I was able to pick up an Apollo 11 set there for a friend and they had a running 10-15% off discount (at that time) on everything in the store. Picked it up for a shade over $100.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I was sublimely bummed when the NASA SR-71 got 86ed. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I bought the lem and another Saturn v and i got two rockets.

Make a Saturn X. :downs:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It is kind of strange that Mega Bloks did a rough yet still impressive minifigure-scale Space Shuttle way back when and Lego never answered with one of their own.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Complete with faulty O-rings, made from the same rubber as our tires! Hey, did you know that LEGO makes the most tires of any..." :aaa:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Thousands, but you'll have to travel to several locations in Texas to pick up each one.

That'd be the Columbia set. You'd need minifigures in scuba gear and salvage boats for the Challenger set.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I can’t tell if you’re being facetious but... this?

I meant one that'd be far larger.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

stuxracer posted:

Picked up the Apollo lander today. That’s a pretty cool build and I love the smooth shiny pieces. I wish it was bigger but still really nice. The extra gift rocket ride thing is pretty clever and cool

Yeah, I'm kind of kicking myself for buying early, but I thought in waiting they might've sold out like what happened with the initial Apollo V sale.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, not sure if mentioning them is ~verboten~ in here, but I got curious after mentioning Mega Bloks a few pages back. Seems they've resurrected the Probuilder line, but the first four sets are kinda "meh."

https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/worlds/probuilder/playsets

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All the modern ‘realistic’ NASA sets have been terrific so far.

:rip: the NASA SR-71 Ideas set, too beautiful for this world.

I wonder about a NASA T-38, though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

A UCS version of the "New Order" ISD wouldn't be terrible: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Resurgent-class_Star_Destroyer

Kinda like the streamlined look of it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

This is why basically all UCS are original trilogy I'm sure. Nearly everyone likes the original trilogy, only some people like the prequels and Disney movies. If they make a super pricey set from either of those it's probably a guarantee it won't sell as well.

I'm not complaining though. I only collect OT stuff anyways.

The weird thing is that to defray some of the cost of such a set I'd probably end up selling my old Kenner Electronic Super Star Destroyer.

I always wanted a stupidly expensive and wildly impractical toy growing up (the USS Flagg playset, in particular), and a UCS ISD would scratch that itch.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Habibi posted:

They're gonna love my Flagellation of Christ MOC.

Sodom and Gomorrah before the rain of fire. :heysexy:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

For a second there I thought you'd made a double Y-Wing in the same vein as the F-82 Twin Mustang and I was extraordinarily *down* with that idea.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The most interesting thing about that thing is that it looks more like a Tente (Spanish Legos made by a now-defunct company called EXIN) design than something that could be made with Lego.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 7, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There's something about the Harley set that triggers what I can only call an "uncanny valley" response. It looks too much like a premade toy and less like a Lego set.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

tell him you ate them as a dumb kid

Even better.

"I buried them in the back yard when I was a kid because I thought it'd grow a Lego tree."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Anyone heard of this company? https://www.toys2discover.com/products/oxford-us-navy-battleship-bm35215

I've heard of Cobi, but this one's a new one on me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hopper posted:

Everybody wants that sweet sweet Chinese money. At least Lego won't have to censor anything in their sets to be able to sell over there.

They just can't ever sell a Winnie the Pooh-themed set. Ever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Amazon's got Voltron on sale for $159.01: https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ideas-Voltron-Building-Pieces/dp/B07D4BWZ3T

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Saw this in Union Station in Toronto - not exactly a creative build, but still relevant:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It'd be nice to actually see some fleet battles in the next film. Like the Rebels/Resistance get their hands on an "old" Super Star Destroyer, so it's not like the New Zealand Civil Air Patrol vs. the USAF.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

While I know they've released that the new ISD will cost $700+, and that's likely BEFORE the Power Functions module that'll light it...I still really, really want to see it.

If I can get a reasonable amount for my "rare" Kenner Electronic Star Destroyer to put a decent dent in the cost, I might bite. >.>

Not too thrilled about the brick count versus the UCS Falcon, though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hulkbuster set is at Walmart for $83.99: https://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Super-Heroes-The-Hulkbuster-Ultron-Edition-76105/502465747

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There's no way that thing is staying at its MSRP over the life of the product.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Not pictured or included: Robert California, because James Spader personally threatened to kill us and after listening to the message he left on our voice mail, the police are too scared to charge him."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I have to admit, looking at a timelapse build/review of the new ISD...I'm more unimpressed. I think I'd have liked it more if they'd varied the *tones* of gray a bit to give the ship a bit more menacing look. Some darker grays in places would've done that - but as it stands, it's just all flat "Lego Gray." Pass...especially at what they want for it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

The imperial star destroyer is nothing but light grey, so they can't really do much about that.

"Fresh out of the yard," yes. But there's something to be said for an armor panel here and there being a little darker to give it that 'battle-worn' look that would've made it noticeably different from the original UCS ISD.

Something like this, for instance:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I don't see it staying at the price it's at.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm gonna assume the position that you are a fan of Robert Wuhl?

He really needs to do Assume the Position 301.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lego is made out of #7 plastic, which most recycling centers don't/won't take. Even some that do will only take stuff like containers, not "bits and pieces" or toys.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

If it is a libertarian selling it, the blocks will just be chrome plated pot metal.

Lead. Lead is cheap and its toxicity is wildly overblown. :shepface:

Also, while we're talking about other Lego-like toys, look up Tentes from EXIN. Spanish Legos. Sadly they don't exist anymore - they made a lot of really nice ship models.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Maybe next year they'll have the newer ISD for that. At the price it *should've* launched at. :argh:

No one's who's going to want to actually build it will get it at that price. The mass resellers will snatch them up, wait for the price to go back up, and sell it for $50-150 under MSRP on eBay.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm a little bummed that the Joker's gun isn't hilariously long-barrelled. Especially when the display plank for them is a recreation of the church ledge, complete with gargoyles.

True AFOLs should get a piece of black string and loop it around one of Joker's legs and the rightmost gargoyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So Fox is going to do a prime time competitive Lego building show during the winter hiatus.