Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Why? Same iconoclastic nonsense, just of a different political bent

I don't think you have seen Maddow. She is fairly decent for what she is.

Mourningview posted:

One of these days I am just going to make talking about anything that happened on First Take bannable.
You should, it isn't very interesting when it comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ace Jameson posted:

The goal is to make the word so common and normalize it to such a degree that the mere mention instantly causes the act itself to occur, kind of like a manchurian candidate or police dog.

You're right leokitty, I was confusing Crion with a more reasonable version of mornacale.

So you just completely miss his point, make up your own to make him look bad, and dare to question his ability to be reasonable? What is your endgame here? You want to look silly?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

uublog posted:

Better yet: if he doesn't want to be criticized in public, he should just not exist in public

But freedom of speech! :911:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MourningView posted:

it makes people here super mad

Our ability to control national narrative is sadly lacking though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The B_36 posted:

People like to feel outraged. Its why they script 'reality' shows to begin with, so that people can hear other people say outrageous things and feel righteously indignant. They aren't catering to the very few people who think screaming at a 9yr old to rip off a kids head is appropriate behavior, they're catering to the people who think its terrible.

They do cut in a way that brings out the maximum amount "controversy' for lack of a better word, but no they don't try to cater to that group, as its not sustainable and could result in horrible backlash.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Parlett316 posted:

Man if someone was bad mouthing me or making lovely remarks about a personal experience I as going through around someone close to me I hope they just sit there and smile or put their head down like nothing happened.

That would be the correct react yeah.

Unless you are a child but then your parent disciplines you and everything is all right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

morestuff posted:

What exactly am I looking at, here?

The Birth of a serial killer.

With a very specific gimmick.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Pussy Boss posted:

I mean, you all are kind of reaching to see sex stuff or whatever in that pic IMHO. Its the mascots of the two teams and the Blue Devil had to eat an Orange cause he lost.

Everyone knows what they are going for.

They just also picked imagery that can be sexual.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah that is a fairly poorly thought out title.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ribsauce posted:

Umm, that is pretty much the internet now. Take a poorly phrased comment, project a meaning onto it to make it offensive, blow it out of proportion, then you get to feel smug because you are more enlightened than someone else.

Of course you would believe that.

Like an angry grandpa yelling at a cloud.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Umm, Unprotected sex is dumb, but it isn't a bad thing.

Unless there is more to this story which would make it turn pretty hard.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

hcreight posted:

I'm not saying it is, but ol' Jeff here is the one equating it with drunk driving and domestic abuse.

Oh I didn't mean to imply you did.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

Its too late because "real media" is just like them now. Snarky millennial writers, slideshows, clickbait, stories about twitter, feigned outrage, and more.

Oh hi grandpa.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sash! posted:

If rage at "Thing X did Thing Y, you'll NEVER guess what happened next" makes me a grandpa, then give me a recliner and a bowl full of ribbon candy.

I feel like you standing up for him further validates my opinion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What the hell does he think Fascism entails?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah but usually I can at least understand what they are getting at this one is just confusing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair if Tom had no commented his way through this it wouldn't be an issue. You endorse the hot head racist, you roll the dice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I love that every article about how egomaniacal Athlete X is always includes a little line like this:

"Cam Newton is an egomaniac and the proof is that he didn't dress nicely enough when we went to ask him dumb inane questions, does he not realize how important we are?!"

I like the part wear she somehow holds the basic I really want to win comment against him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah I can't get mad that he brought back a story that effectively had been buried.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They aren't famous that is kind of the point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

morestuff posted:

First Take is two hours long, those shows are built to chew up airtime

First take wasn't two hours of Skip and Stephen tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

morestuff posted:

Last time I saw it it was, though it may just have felt like it

Maybe, I haven't watched in a while.

Actually it used to feature them in like five minute chunks every twenty minutes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Spoeank posted:

We get it dude you don't like Peter Thiel

To be fair that is a funny quote

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's extremely lovely to tell someone they're a regressive dumb rear end because they love their daughter. Just one mans opinion.

That isn't what he is doing?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sash! posted:

If Heaven was real, half of those people wouldn't be there.

What do you have against Donner's Superman?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah I was gonna say all those places (outside London) have very serious issues that should be covered. Whether they happen or not.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sash! posted:

Sure was nice of the Soviets to build it for us, I guess?

Where do you think Donald got his wall idea from???

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Scoreboard bitch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MourningView posted:

President Mike Pence isn't any better tbh

Hell he is probably worse as you can at least hope Republicans piss Trump off and he shuts down.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair we are like two weeks in and he was right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So It Goes posted:

If it is a joke, I legitimately don't understand what the joke even is

It would only work if he is parodying himself but that requires a self awareness he does not possess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mahoning posted:

I'm not sure why it's a controversial statement to say that college basketball players care more. For a huge percentage of them, it is the last bit of Basketball they will ever play, so of course it means a bit more.

It's not knocking the commitment of NBA players to say that, either. They care too. It's not a mutually exclusive thing.

When people bring up who cares more it's always for condemnations sake, otherwise there is no real point in doing it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well I mean they are public records so I am not sure what being suspected has to do with anything,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Troy Queef posted:

he quit the Colts to work for Barstool and do standup comedy

He didn't really fail as he quit of his own accord.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Maybe ineffectual is the wrong word if you want to argue semantics, but I think that the conclusion is pretty apparent that whether there is a three point line or not wouldn't change the frequency of longer range shots, the frequency with which those shots are made, or which teams are better than the others. That says nothing of the fact that as long as there is a three point line, you're dumb to ignore the benefits of talking advantage of it.

It sounds like you mean the exact opposite of ineffectual. Which is not semantics at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teemu Pokemon posted:

If it's arguably harder to defend the further from the basket (blocks by distance from the rim is used in the video, which doesn't tell the whole story, but isn't negligible), and shots from 2 feet, and 26 feet have roughly the same chance of going in, how would there being no three point line drastically alter the spacing on the floor? Teams are still going to shoot from outside when they know they can make it, they're not going to bunch themselves in all the much tighter to the rim and make it harder on themselves to move the ball. It doesn't seem like a stretch to think the game would've evolved similarly regardless as players got bigger and harder to beat in close defensively while also getting better at shooting from distance. Seems more that the 3 point line was a catalyst as opposed to the outright cause.

e: I think the real interesting thing though, is that evolution would've taken likely a good amount of time longer had there never been a three point line, so all of that data about shot distances, wouldn't be nearly as complete. Teams would've gradually expanded the range of the floor rather than just jumping to a perimeter-or-in-close shot selection over the matter of a few years

focusing on the definition of a misused word in place of the larger point is exactly what a semantics argument is so please join the convo or don't try to son me tia

You larger point completely changes depending on what word you mean.

I am joining the convo, be better at English so I can actually argue with you.

Because at this point I don't actually think you know what your arguing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teemu Pokemon posted:

be gooder at english so that I may fight you on the internet

- an idiot

So you don't know what your arguing? I figured.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

poo poo!!!!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN has a long history of basically bending its knees to anyone will complain loudly enough about it, right or wrong.

And if you'll remember Max Bretos, who has a Chinese wife and thus half-Chinese kids, getting suspended for a month for saying that Jeremy Lin had a "chink in his armor", sometimes nobody even has to complain.

Man I forgot they actually printed that, Jesus Max and his editor should have been suspended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Why would you doubt it it's the most Bill thing possible.