Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This is about those cards you get from coffee shops, or bagel shops or sandwich shops where they punch a hole, specifically Noah's Bagels. Its pretty easy to stamp these yourself right? What keeps people from doing it besides "honesty"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone recommend a good online tobacco store? I'm trying to find Bali rolling tobacco and can't find it in any stores. When I search online I find a bunch of online stores selling it, but I don't trust them.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone tell me how to get into plumbing? How do I get a trainee plumbing license for an apprenticeship? Will I need to find a trade school to start first? Can anyone recommend one in the Seattle area? I've tried google, but I can't seem to find specific answers to these questions.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anything in labor law about being forced to come in to work on very short notice. Situation: already worked today, now I'm out and busy, work calls and wants me to come in in about an hour, but I said I'm not available. I've gotten poo poo from my boss for not being available on short notice when I'm off work and not scheduled to be at work before. Its starting to piss me off, I'm not paid nearly enough to be on-call. If they threaten to fire me over this do I have any recourse?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The last apartment I lived in sent me a bill for about $50 for "cleaning" we did a walk through with the landlord before we moved out and he said everything was fine. With that in mind I feel like we shouldn't owe any money is there anything I can do to refute the amount they claim we owe?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hi, I have a job as a process server for another company starting soon. I kind of want to turn this into a career at some point so if anyone can give me tips on the job, just starting out tips and hopefully some tips on building a client base and starting to work for myself after I've got some experience, THANKS!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is it ok for your boss to curse and yell at you? I mean I know that really, I should never be berated at the workplace because that's unprofessional, and I'm getting really tired of it, but is it something I can file some kind of complaint with L&I about? I'm already looking for a new job, but I want to make their lives frustrating when I do find a new job.

How about if I also very rarely get a lunch break if at all?

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 23, 2013

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I recently found out I'm descended from the Inca, I need to find the most complete, no holds barred anthropology of my people that exists. Music, religion, politics, tattoos, I need it all.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know how to properly tie a bike to a trunk/hatch mounted Hollywood bike rack? We borrowed one and it doesn't have clamps or ties for the bike like I've seen on other bike racks, they said to use bungie cables, but I just wondered if there was a technique besides use approximately 100 bungie cords so you feel safe having your bike on the back.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have had a big box of trading cards baseball/basketball and some old CCGs like Star Wars, Wyvern and Spell something. Whats the quickest/easiest way to determine if there is anything of value in there? There are hundreds of cards and it seems like a loving mess to type each card in and figure out if its worth a few pennies, I just want to know if there's anything actually worth more than the cardboard its printed on.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got some advice for a want-to-be work from home dad/freelance web dev?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know anything about phones? Both my wife and have been getting random phone calls from numbers that start as the first six numbers the same as ours, so like 123-123-1234 is mine and 321-123-1234 is hers and shes gets calls from a bunch of numbers that are 321-123-randomnumbers and I get calls from 123-123-randomnumbers and when you pick up they hang up immediately and usually when you call back it goes straight to voicemail, but today someone answered and said they never dialed. Is some weird phone poo poo going?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got any good tips or resources for seasonal affective disorder? My doctor wants me to take Zoloft, I don't want to be medicated all the time.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kedo posted:

Get a sun box. SAD is caused by hosed up levels of serotonin and melatonin, the release of both is heavily dependent on sunlight. More light = less SAD. Your doctor isn't wrong per se, but Zoloft is the easy solution. Sitting in front of a light for a few hours a day is a bigger pain in the butt, but it works.

e: Also if you have an office job, spending more time outside and/or in generally brightly lit areas (even without an expensive sun box) can help a ton.

I'm a stay at home dad. In the Pacific Northwest. Our falls, winters and springs are really grey and I get out of the house whenever it isn't raining a ton, but yeah its just not sunny very often until summer or late spring.

Do you have personal experience with the sun box? Probably going to get one. Also I was for a while taking a vitamin D supplement and didn't notice much difference. I'm taking a multi-vitamin now that has vitamin D in it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For a previous version of Windows there was an app that would just put a re sizable slideshow window on your desktop that came packaged with Windows, is there something like this package with Windows 10? If not does anyone know of something that will do this? I know I could do a background slideshow, but I want something like that old app.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why is elon musk so scared of AI was he traumatized by terminator movies when he was a child?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
are serial killers still a thing or were they just a fad with copycats spurred on by media sensationalism

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Have there been any big Apple security breaches recently? Last night someone logged into my apple ID and used find my phone. So they've got my home address now I guess. They also enabled something called lost mode, but they didn't actually lock my phone or anything. I've changed every single password for everything ever which sucked major balls, reformated/reset to factory every single device I own just in case. Nothing else has had any weird log ins or anything in the time it took me to do all this. What was the point of this lost mode/getting my home address? Is some creepy russian going to show up at my house and sell me some land in Nigeria?

I haven't actually used my apple ID for anything in years. I don't buy apps or music, I don't use iCloud. I use my phone almost entirely for making phone calls so this is weird for me.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 28, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If I get an xray and there is a big blob on it and the doctor shows it to me and goes "What is that?!?!" then orders a CT does it mean I have cancer? I got the xray in relation to kidney stones and they showed up on the xray, but so did this other thing and waiting for a doctor to tell me what it is is making me extremely loving anxious.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the deep state is a right wing conspiracy theory thing right?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
whats the band spelled that is named something like fmr2mrs or some poo poo like that i can't remember

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
does spotify have ads?

Phyzzle posted:

Is there a drug which can reliably induce clinical depression?

I tried looking it up, but there are just warnings for widely varying drugs that might induce depression or insomnia or headache or rash or nothing at all. I'm curious because 1. Such a drug might help understand the biochemistry of depression and 2. The withdrawal symptoms from that drug would be Totally Awesome.

There has been some research that suggests ketamine helps a lot and some states in the US already have ketamine clinics that will dose you with it

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
there is a mouse in my house my cats and i are chasing it everywhere at 430 in the morning, I want to catch it so I can put it outside, the cats just want to play with it, should i actually care about this or just let the cats eat it or whatever

edit - its under my fridge now hiding

edit 2 - got and put it outside be free little mousey

edit 3 - he's still in the little container I used to put him outside, he's not dead, but maybe he can't jump or something

edit 4 - I moved the container a little and he jumped like ten feet and ran away

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 6, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
honestly catching a mouse with tupperware is a lot harder than you'd think

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

alnilam posted:

There are plenty of nice not lethal traps you can make yourself that are easier than tupperware hunting but nicely done

are they normally baby and cat proof? my landlord put in snap traps once and we just threw them away because keeping children away from snap traps is a lot of work and also i felt bad for the little mousies if they would die

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the mouse advice, I think I'm going to try the bucket thing.

On a similar note, why the gently caress do Mormons think they are exempt from the giant red NO SOLICITING sign on my front door? Is it illegal if I start spraying them with my hose when they knock because gently caress I've told them to gently caress off like a thousand times. If I get a big enough bucket and put a door on a plank in the middle of it can I trap the Mormons in it and drop THEM off at a park a few miles away?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what is the softest blankets/comforters on amazon

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
did tinder change the way it worked? It used to be you swipe on someone and they swipe on you and you get a match and its free, I just popped into a new tinder account and instead of a match I got a like and when I click on it it asks me to pay for it?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Is it a feature where you can pay to see who liked you without having to like them back? That's just a guess.

That might be it, kind of what I was wondering.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
To drive from WA to Alaska through Canada would you need a passport or just an enhanced drivers license?

Also how is Anchorage? My family is thinking about moving up that direction some time in the next few years. I looked for an alaska thread in your city sucks but I guess there aren't enough alaska goons or I just didn't see it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Methanar posted:

don't live past 54 degrees north

because?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone have any advice for someone thinking about looking for work after being a stay at home dad for a few years?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Quabzor posted:

A past coworker of mine applied and interviewed for jobs he didn't want just to get practice. Then went for the real jobs. :shrug:

He worked as a bartender for 6 years or so, then decided to get back into the construction game.

Yeah I'm pretty much applying for everything at this point partly just to get the interview practice in since its been almost 7 years since I had to do an interview. It sucks though because I don't want to do what I did before. I too would like to get into something construction or construction adjacent.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

What were you doing, before your current honorable job?

serving legal papers

to elaborate I can probably get a job at the place I was working before, but I'd rather do something else so I'm not really applying there. :shrug: I'd really like to do something different.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 4, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Go for the adjacent option or something else entirely if you have one, construction loving sucks.

Its hard because I have a lot of trouble with jobs where there is a lot of down time or I spend too much time in the office. For a long-term kind of job I need something that keeps me both physically and mentally active like 90% of the time. In terms of what I actually want to get into I've been looking at apprenticeships for things like electrician or jobs with electric companies that have apprenticeships. Does anyone know anything specifically about apprenticeships in WA state or in general and could give me some tips about what they're looking for? The listed minimum requirements are all extremely minimum and my understanding is they often have wait lists or are competitive, I just am not sure how to get an edge.

Has anyone here been a stay at home parent then gone back to work? I'm really interested in how I should spin my time at home during job interviews and such, my wife sent me an article that says just talk about it as little as possible without lying, but a three/four year gap in employment needs explanation in my opinion.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Koivunen posted:

Where we are from there is fierce competition, 1-2 spots open a year (in steel working anyway), and getting a position usually means you’ve got a connection with someone already in the field. You shouldn’t devote 100% of your job search efforts to getting an apprenticeship. Apply for/start a regular job and keep looking for apprenticeships at the same time.

This is kind of what I figured, thanks for your advice. I've got some extended family who are electricians and I'm trying to see if they know anyone who can hook me up with an apprenticeship. Besides that though construction is going through a boom around here so I'm hoping that things have opened up at least a little bit. Fingers crossed. I'm pretty nervous about this whole thing and I forgot how anxious a job search can be.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

If you can piss clean and do halfway decent on a Civil Service exam, the Post Office is hiring.

If you're willing to work on Mercer Island, I hear they're desperate.

how do you know where I live? Does the Post Office care about pot in the states that its legal? I was just checking out their website and the fedex/usps sites for that stuff. Claims adjuster seems like fun and almost exactly what I'd like but nothing in my area. Going to have to keep my eyes open on that one.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what are the 'right' answers on the stupid personality questions you get when applying for jobs at a lot of places now? I just took one for USPS and I never really know what to say.

Once someone told me not to do very many strongly agree or disagree and I took that advice and stuck near the middle. But gently caress the questions that are like "which of these bugs you most or least" or whatever. Are you supposed to lie at poo poo like "I never get angry about anything ever in my life im a perfect serene butterfly"

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 18, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

spog posted:

e.g. USPS is probably looking for a person who follows rules, is reliable and a sticker for honesty.

Yeah they have a lot of questions about working independently which is something I'm used to and I feel like you should be if you're driving around delivering mail but I also am like well, what if they DONT want me to be a super independent employee? So yeah I hate those loving things I always feel like every question is a trick question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Leal posted:

E: I got a loving Amazon package today, from someone who doesn't live here. Who fucks up their AMAZON address?

was it something good?

I was getting a poo poo ton of mail for the last tenant and I was literally tossing piles of mail back into the mail box that said "WRONG ADDRESS" and after a month or two the mail man left a big red note that said something to the effect of "Who the gently caress lives here? List your names" and we haven't gotten as much mail for that person since then. But I did get a huge package full of copper plumbing poo poo once.