Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking to get a hole drilled toward the bottom of a 22oz beer bottle that I'd like to use as an incense burner. What type of store should I look at to get this done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Loopyface posted:

Do you not own a drill? If not, find a friend with one.

I don't, and I heard glass drilling requires diamond tipped drills and such. Is this something I can do with a hand drill/diamond tip bit?
edit: for less than it would cost to buy a drill/bit/equipment to keep it stable during drilling.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 8, 2010

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Where is a cheap place to buy new Bluray cases? Specifically, I ordered the X-Men Trilogy on Bluray, and one of the movies came with the part that holds the middle two discs broken, so it slips around when it moves. Also, while not a functional problem, the Mad Men Season One set came with a painted-on logo at the top of the case, and when I removed the protective tape part of it peeled off, so I'd like to replace it. The X-Men movie case is a standard sized case that holds 3 discs, and the Mad Men case is the same size as Breaking Bad Season 2's case (slightly thicker), which has the silver lettering. Anal, I know, but I want these things to look nice.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Widescreen Dubbed Subtitle AC3: What the hell does this mean? There are two different versions of American Gangster available for Best Buy's 2-for-$20 sale, one with this label, and one without. I speak english, and while I wouldn't mind having alternate languages available, I want it to be English as the main language.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure there's a scientific or psychological explanation for why colors projected onto a pure white image come out in the exact same color...I just don't know what it is. Can anyone link me to the explanation?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If you have to return an item to Amazon because it was defective/broken, does the shipping get refunded as well if you ordered next day or two day shipping?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My grandparents mailed me a check for my birthday, but I'm currently living 18 hours away from the nearest branch. They have an e-deposit option, but I need to scan both sides of the check, and I currently don't have a scanner. 2 questions with this: 1) would well-lit cell-phone pictures work? (I'm assuming NO), and 2) Are there any stores that have scanners available for brief use?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Titan Coeus posted:

I'm not sure if you have a smart phone or not, but I use PayPal Check Capture to cash my checks for this reason. It's free.

That is..awesome, actually! I rarely use paypal but I just downloaded the app and 'deposited' the check no problem! Hopefully it all works out, thanks!

randyest posted:

It'd probably work if your cell camera is decent and you light/frame/focus it right. My bank has an option to deposit checks by taking a pic with a cell camera using their app. There's that paypal thing guy above mentioned too.

If the paypal thing doesn't work I'll try just snapping some photos and uploading them to the bank. I figured a scanner was required for photo sharpness & accuracy, but I can't imagine my iPhone 4S won't do a good enough job.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to find a list of all 'real' universities in a particular state/region? Every time I try searching for lists, 75% of what I get is online, for-profit, mostly crap places. I'm in the Denver area, if that helps at all; in-person community colleges would work for a list, as well.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In regards to a medical flex account, I'm trying to figure out ways to empty my account if I find myself with leftover money at the end of the year. It says that 'First Aid Supplies' do not require a prescription; would something like the following be eligible?
http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Med...g+first+aid+kit

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That list is fantastic. I just bookmarked it, thank you! And a different type of first-aid kit by the same brand I linked is in the drugstore.com FSA-eligible items list, so I think that pretty much answers my question too!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My roommate came down with the flu last week which spread to me over the weekend. I called out of work yesterday because I was feeling horrible and today because I was dehydrated and exhausted. I just got a call from work stating I need to bring in a doctors note for missing 2 days, which I don't have because I know my body and knew that I just needed to sleep and hydrate which is all that the doctor would have told me. Will a walk-in clinic examine me and give a note of 'this guy is OK to work now' or am I SOL?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the replies. Luckily I have good insurance, so the cost isn't the issue. I just don't really know how this works since I've never had to provide a doctor's note before, and since I'm mostly fine today (just exhausted, dehydrated, and definitely not in working condition) rather than still presenting symptoms I just don't know exactly what I'm supposed to ask for now.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I have a problem with the way my supervisor is enforcing a company policy, will I get in trouble if I specifically name her when talking to our HR department? The long & short is she and her assistant show up 15-20 minutes late every day, and enforce rules that punish the regular staff for showing up literally a second late (it's computerized). I really want to talk to HR about providing a buffer for employees that have extenuating circumstances (this morning a loving Semi stalled on the on-ramp I take to work and I got marked up for being 2 minutes late), and I want to point out the fact that my bosses enforce rules they choose not to follow which leads to lower employee morale, but if bringing them up could cause me to get fired, I'll just stay away from that point.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate the input, but my question was in regards to my own protection, and whether I could get in trouble if I mentioned their names to HR, not how fair the behavior of my supervisors is. I want to voice a concern but I've never had an HR department before, so I don't know what is OK and what isn't to say. I'm not going to roll in there and say 'gently caress my boss, she's a total bitch', but I also don't want to go in and voice a logical complaint and risk my job because I named my boss in my concern.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kedo posted:

You can try, but it's probably not going to go well for you unless you can report it anonymously. HR can't magically fix the issue without talking to your supervisor (and perhaps her supervisor), and when that starts happening your name may get dropped. If your supervisor has the ability to make your life miserable and you tattletale on her, your working life is going to suck.

Do you have a boss that isn't a jerk you can talk to? If so a better tactic might be to ask for flexible starting and ending hours (if you have the type of job where that'd work). In my office our day is officially 9-6, but we let people roll in up to 30 minutes late and leave up to an hour early as long as they're pulling their weight. It's not really all that uncommon these days.

Unfortunately no. I've voiced my concerns regarding the policy twice with her, and the reason I got so fired up about it this time is the last time we had a discussion, I was standing in her office when she told me 'If something comes up, bad traffic, computer problems, whatever, just let me know! We're not trying to be unreasonable.' So much for that. And the only reason that our department has to use that phone system as opposed to using the payroll system to clock in like 80% of the company (which allows for +/- 7 minutes before it rounds up or down) is we technically fall under the 'student services' branch of the university. The other departments under that branch have metrics that they have to hit regarding contacting students, but we don't. We're rarely in contact with students, but need to use that phone system so the other departments can transfer problem students to us. I know for a fact that other departments allow employees to work a bit late if they arrive late to even things out, several of my friends in other departments routinely arrive at 8:20-8:30 and stay a bit late to get things done. It's just maddening to me that our department isn't following the rules of the majority of the company.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Edit: Also 'My boss keeps getting mad at me for being just a little late' is really really really likely to backfire on you, even if you follow it up with 'but he's late too.'

This is a very good point, and I think last night I was seeing red for a bit when thinking about the whole situation. My boss has a boss who I work directly under for ~25% of my responsibilities and is mostly reasonable, but the more I'm thinking about it, the more I think the least painful thing to do is just shut up and take it. :(

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Can I use a $5 Best Buy Reward Zone certificate to purchase a $5 Amazon gift card? I've heard conflicting stories and I'd much rather have money toward my saved camera fund that use this on something frivolous.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I gave my father the incorrect zip code to send me a package, but all the other information (including my company name, he was shipping it to my work address) is correct and both zip codes are within a few miles of eachother; will USPS figure out the mistake or is it likely going to get returned to him?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I got pulled over this morning for being stupid and not realizing my lane had turned into a right turn only lane until too late and was written up for 'driving on a lained roadway'. I've got a mostly clean driving record (5 over from a few years ago is it) and there's no cost on the ticket but I have to call in. I know there's no definitive answer, but is this a type of situation where showing up to court and explaining things and offering to take a class would help get the points reduced?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Loopyface posted:

Yes. This is an easy question because everywhere in the world has the same laws and court procedures.

Whoops, thought I had it in there. Denver, Colorado.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

Denver is the WORST about lanes suddenly turning into turn-only lanes. It's an epidemic. I've never seen anything like it in any city I've lived in.

Also the traffic light timing is abominable.

It's seriously horrible. If you're familiar with the area, Hamden at Colorado blvd. You go up a hill with three lanes, then once you're on the downside, with no signs to give you notice, it turns into turn-only, but just past the intersection it's still a merge lane with an arrow pointing left. Still my fault, just a really stupid setup.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My department is hiring two people for a three-person, entry level team. The two positions are open because one person left due to bullying and the other was fired for bullying the person who left. The existing person is apparently going to be part of the 2nd round interviews. This seems like a very big red flag to me, as I feel like it immediately creates a dynamic in which the new hires will immediately look to the existing person as a superior based on the fact that they were involved in the interviews. Am I wrong?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

the posted:

No, but I would say that they would look to the person for leadership naturally because that person will know how to do the job and all the ins and outs. Seniority and experience usually means leader ship roles.

Oh absolutely, the existing person will be a great resource for how to perform daily functions. I just feel like it's a conflict of interest wherein the existing person will be looking for people they get along with and/or can manipulate, rather than the most qualified person for the job. Obviously team chemistry is important but I feel like that should be a manager decision.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just moved into my first solo apartment and my parents want to buy me a vacuum. What's the best vacuum in the $150-ish price range?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just moved into a new condo and got a letter (from the IRS) for what I assume is a previous tenant; what do I do with that kind of stuff?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a single-outlet power socket in my kitchen that'd be perfect for setting up a charging station for my phone, tablet, kindle, & a bluetooth speaker so I can listen to music while cooking. I've got a Nexus 7 which is very picky about volts/amps for charging & I'm sure the others are too; anyone have a recommendation for a 4-5 port USB wall charger that can handle a decent amount of power across devices?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got $11 & change left on my flex medical card. If I were to go to a Walgreens or someplace and pick up some bandages, can I split the charges across my flex card & a standard debit card to max out the flex card?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The furnace in my rental property won't stop blowing (cold) air. I tried setting the thermostat to 40 degrees, nothing. I turned the thermostat off, it kept blowing. I shut off the circuit breaker and turned the switch off on the furnace; the big fuse looks fine. The white/red wires don't appear broken anywhere that I can see. It's getting cold out here in Denver, I'm not gonna put up with a busted furnace; I put a maintenance request in, but is there anything else I can check on my own?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

axolotl farmer posted:

Is it a gas furnace? Check if the pilot light has gone out.

It's electric. My landlord was actually able to get a guy out today who's currently fixing it; apparently it was the limit switch and there was pretty much nothing I could have done about it myself. Thanks for the reply though!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just got a prepaid $25 Citi visa from Comcast. I haven't signed up for any special services or anything like that; if I use this thing, will I get auto-signed up for anything horrible? The sheet that came with the card didn't say anything about activation or special terms that would come with using the money..

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The liquor store near me has had a $5.00 minimum for credit card transactions for a while, but about a year ago they started accepting debit card pin transactions. The lady got mad at me today because I wanted to use my debit card + pin to pay for a $2 purchase, which I thought would be OK since I didn't think that credit card transaction fees would apply if it was run as debit. Are there still fees if using a debit card w/ pin?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Yes there are fees associated with any electronic payment. For some businesses the fees vary based on type of transaction and creditor.

Ah, gotcha, I guess I just assumed it was nonexistent (or like, a penny or two) for pin transactions. Guess I'll bring cash next time, this was a spur of the moment pickup after getting a deal on stew meat at the grocery store.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've lived in a duplex for the past 2.5 years, and took over the lease this past September when my roommate moved out. The guy below me was in construction so the back yard was always filled with crap (random lumber, a concrete mixer, etc.) He moved out in February, and the new tenants moved in ~3 weeks ago. I was cleaning the yard today since there was a bunch of leaves & whatnot left over from the fall where his equipment was, and noticed that, along the side of the garage there's still a gigantic stack of closed paint cans and what looks to be some sort of industrial fridge. I didn't notice it sooner because it's hidden from the alley where I park and I hadn't been out there at all while the weather was bad.

That's stuff my landlord needs to come and take care of, correct? I assumed all of his stuff was going to be completely gone, and even if that wasn't his, it was clearly left by someone before I ever lived here and shouldn't just be tucked away out in the corner of the yard, but I also don't think I should have to pay to get it removed.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I apparently used an email address ending in "@a**.**********.***" that is connected to an account of mine; are there any common email domains that end this way, assuming the character count is accurate?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I had an email address in college that was something like name@eden.webster.edu. Hopefully it's a college email and thus kickstarts your brain, otherwise I have no idea.

Nah, I tried my school email address and that isn't coming up with anything unfortunately, though that's a good suggestion. It's used for my twitter account and at least one other website that I'd signed up for (most likely, I sent a password reset email for that website and haven't gotten anything despite repeated attempts) so not a tremendous loss, but twitter's being a pain in the rear end about it even though my description has my name on it, my friends following it, and the location is the state I live in. I thought I'd enrolled in mobile verification but apparently not..

Birb Katter posted:

aol.timewarner.com fits, not sure if that is a thing though.

Unfortunately I've never had any sort of account with Time Warner, especially in the last few years. Thank you though!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I know that you can arrange mail forwarding with the post office for your new address, but is there a way to have them only deliver mail to your current residence that belongs to designated people (just me)? I keep getting mail for my old roommate's ex-wife and a few other people that were apparently past tenants for the duplex I live in and I'd like that to stop (and I'd like them to get their letters :)). I've told my old roommate about his ex and I keep writing 'wrong address' and blacking out the street address for the other people's letters but the same people keep having stuff delivered here.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

I hate moving for this very reason, everyone who rents an apartment before me apparently has a million accounts in collections, court violations, and 50 catalog subscriptions.

My mail carrier told me if you write the names of the current residents on your mailbox, the carrier is not supposed to deliver mail with anyone else's name. That takes care of a good chunk of it. Anything else that gets through, keep doing what you're doing. Write wrong address and send it back. You'll eventually get less and less. I've heard that you can also fill out a change of address form for them at the post office, and for the new address write "moved, left no forwarding address," but a I've never done it.

That's a great idea, thanks! I'll try putting something up this weekend; unfortunately my mail carrier seems like a total moron so I don't know if she'll pay attention.

Got another question. Miller moths: how do I kill them in bulk? It's moth season in Denver and these things are really loving disgusting; I killed 5 of them last night that appeared while I was trying to sleep and with the incoming heat wave it's only going to get worse.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I noticed last week that someone had put two bags of their trash into my garbage can for some reason. I've since moved where I store my can during the week, but if they'd dumped something illegal in there (wet paint for example is not dump-able in my area) could the department of sanitation trace that back to my can?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rubies posted:

Normally I'd accuse you of being paranoid, but I know here they investigate asbestos dumping here even if it's just broken up tiles in a garbage bag. That said, you probably won't alert anyone unless is was obviously from a construction site or something. Just keep em under the porch so ne'er-do-wells don't get too used to it being the anonymous neighborhood dump.

Yeah the area I'm in is pretty serious about being green and I asked my duplex neighbor and she said she hadn't put anything in there. I know it definitely sounds crazy but I don't want to get slapped with a fine because someone wanted to chuck out some old paint anonymously (our block was switched from dumpsters to individual bins a few months ago) so I've moved my bins just out of sight behind our fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How do I get Excel to calculate sums when I have a number range and a formula? For example, The sum from n=1 to n=20 of the formula n^2/(n+1)