Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Here's a small question for a stupid problem. What isthe easiest/cheapest way to remove this lock?

The key for it doesn't work anymore. I'm not sure why, perhaps the lock isn't fully closed and that's the problem? Anyways, we've spent probably half an hour trying to open the drat thing. Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

photomikey posted:

Hacksaw complete with blade should be about $10. Minute or two of sawing and you'll be right through.

Thanks, we're on a budget so this is probably the best option.

Babygravy posted:

Personally I think it's the entrance to his sex dungeon he's locked his gimp in.. Though I am very curious how this situation was set up

It's a wire cage storage locker in the basement of our apartment building. There's a couple feet of space at the top so anybody determined to break in can do so, although they would get caught by the surveillance cameras.

So sorry, no sex dungeon shenanigans, although knowing my room-mates, it will definitely be used for shagging at some point.

I guess well find out how closely they watch the surveillance footage when we take a hacksaw to our own lock.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I work at a cafe making burgers, salads and sandwiches. Pretty decent stuff, largely prepared from the ground up (we make our own beef patties, mayonnaise and so on) and presented very nicely. Definitely not a fast food joint.

What should I put as my job title on my CV/resume? Despite working alone in the kitchen, I'm pretty sure "cook" or "chef" is an exaggeration, since I don't have any education or background in cooking, nor do I decide what goes on the menu.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

As someone who paid 20k to learn how to cook.

Call yourself a cook, call yourself a chef if you had a management position.

Thanks for the help, I did that and added a one-sentence description of my duties below.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

New Leaf posted:

If I'm trying to sell something- let's say, a piece of exercise equipment- to someone via email and haven't heard back after giving a price, how long should I wait to hit them back to see if they're interested? To complicate it further, that person is my company president- who I know personally, not like I'm some unnamed peon working in the fields. He seemed interested at the time but that was last week and I don't want to bug him about it..

When it comes to selling things informally via email or Craigslist or whatever, a good rule of thumb is to assume that 1 out of every 5 people you correspond with will actually respond beyond the initial contact, and one out of those 5 will actually bother to pay and pick the drat thing up. Normally, no response for a week would count as a solid "Not Interested" in my book, but seeing as it's your boss, a polite email reminder and waiting another week might be a good idea.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

photomikey posted:

Also, let me tell you what I learned from being the boss: All the poo poo you think your boss doesn't know, he knows all of it. He knows who swings in an hour late and leaves an hour early, and when he calls you at 11am to ask where you are and you say "Office Depot", he knows you're really on the tee box of the 12th hole. And he knows the guy who is here at 9 and leaves at 5:30, and he knows who will answer the phone 100% of the time when he calls. You just look pedantic when you point it out, because he already knows.

edit: the point here was to reinforce my point of, don't go into the boss and let him on on Bob's slacking off, go in and tell him what you want because of it, or suck it up and learn to deal.

On this same note, your boss has no reason to discipline your coworker if the department's goals are being met. The easiest way to get rid of an unhelpful coworker is to stop picking up the slack. Do what's your in your job description and no more. Once your team starts missing deadlines and work isn't up to par, it should be pretty easy to spot the weak link in the chain. This could also have consequences for your time spent browsing the forums though, so if that's important, keep on keeping on, I guess.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Max22 posted:

A family member is insisting to my mother, re: making turkey soup, that once a food item (a soup or a sauce) has been boiled, it is "sterilized" and can safely sit on the counter at room temperature for days on end. He says boiling for 5-6 minutes kills any bacteria that may be present.

I've taken food safety courses and I know just from common sense that this is bullshit (unless you're canning). But I can't find anything I can specifically point to as an authority on this particular sticking point. Anybody have a good resource? If I find something, I might be able to convince my mom that the guy's not necessarily correct about the benefits of Multi-Level Marketing, either.

~*~Happy Holidays!~*~

Is the kitchen washed and rinsed daily with a chlorine solution? Do the people entering it wear breath masks and lab gowns and is the ventilation filtered? There's a reason why buffets (in my country anyways) can only have cooked food standing out for 4 hours at a time in heated platters. It doesn't matter how "sterile" the food is when the surrounding environment isn't. It's amazing how quickly e-coli and staphylococcus bacteria can multiply to dangerous levels. This counts double for food products containing dairy (especially cream :argh: ) which will happily spoil on their own.

All that said, I leave food out overnight all the time and have never had a problem. I would never serve it to a guest though, and neither should your mother, if she wants to avoid the hilarity of post-party food poisoning.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Can you find worms in merguez sausages? There's a brown earthwormlike thing that came out of my sausage. It doesn't move, I don't know if it's dead worm or some weird shaped fat.

I think we need a picture.

Sausages are made from ground beef/pork, so in theory if there were worms, they would be ground up and indistinguishable from the rest of the sausage. I suppose it could possibly be a blood vein, some of the bigger ones from livestock can be really tough.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there a thread in a/t or the book barn or somewhere else where I could ask about selling a very old book?

On the off chance that someone with expertise is reading this, a friend is trying to sell a Francis Bacon book published in 1689. 3rd edition, in latin, still waiting on the title.

My uneducated guess is that it's worth a lot (frickin FRANCIS BACON), but only to the right collectors, so she would have to settle for crappy price if she wanted to sell it right away. We're obviously a little out of our depth here though.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 28, 2015

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Here's a thread but with the bookbarn's readership you're probably more in luck asking here.

Heh, good point. Selling first editions of stuff like Dan Abnett and Robert Jordan could probably become a lucrative business if marketed correctly. I'll give it a shot once I get the book's title though.

Rabbit Hill posted:

You can also check http://www.abebooks.com to see if anyone's selling anything like it and what their price is.

E: I just did a search on books by Bacon published between 1680-1700, and the results are selling for $150-$975.

Thanks! Looks like my friend will be disappointed, she was hoping for a four figure sum.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

What the gently caress is Goku Pants?
Aww man, it's been a while so I probably have the details wrong, but the Goku Pants debacle was pretty, uh, spectacular.

A goon obsessed with lovely webcomics enlisted other goons to draw his terrible ideas for a comic, featuring characters copied from said lovely webcomics. He then proceeded to have a meltdown in something like 4 different threads, when the artists couldn't or wouldn't do his bidding. There was some stalkery poo poo at some point and some incoherent SJW/free speech nonsense. Goons started making their own homages to his comic masterpiece, and somehow that turned into photoshopping goku's pants onto everything, including goku's pants. Good times.

This is what I found via google, have fun:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615777
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615435&pagenumber=10&perpage=40#post426791021
http://216.86.148.111/showthread.php?threadid=3667231

life is killing me posted:

You're going to be sorry you asked

...yeah.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sounds like it's time to check the small print in your lease. Your landlord is probably just trying to get out of doing the work though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Frykte posted:

Where can I buy big bags of dried beans?

Frykte posted:

which one

...Roast Beef?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nighthand posted:

Unrelated question, what should I look for in a pillow if I want one that won't collapse into a paper-thin bit of stuffing inside a pouch after a relatively short amount of use? I had pillows that were great and lasted nearly 10 years, but the replacements I got are twice as flat after six months.

I got a Temprakon down pillow with memory foam inserts which is loving amazing. Soft and yet firm at the same time, and never gets too hot. Not sure if they are available in North America, but I'm sure other brands have something similar.

You can also get fitted pillows made of pure memory foam but most people find those too stiff.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jake Snake posted:

There's a slope just outside my property line that grows super tall weeds every summer. The county is supposed to take care of it, but their solution is just to mow it twice a year. The weeds quickly grow back, and it’s too steep for me to mow myself. The slope also leads into the street, so I don’t want to use chemical weed killers.

Any ideas on how to remove them? Permanently? I live in Florida, and the weeds are mostly these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumex_crispus.

It's too late in the year to do it now, but a good way to reclaim a field is to seed it with something that sprouts more quickly than the weeds. Looks better than tarps or pesticide treatment. Then the next year, seed it with grass. We seeded about an acre of abandoned grazing ground with clover which had the added benefit of being really pretty for a couple weeks :3:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Reason posted:

I have had a big box of trading cards baseball/basketball and some old CCGs like Star Wars, Wyvern and Spell something. Whats the quickest/easiest way to determine if there is anything of value in there? There are hundreds of cards and it seems like a loving mess to type each card in and figure out if its worth a few pennies, I just want to know if there's anything actually worth more than the cardboard its printed on.

It depends on how much you value your time at. If you want to get rid of them quickly, a comic/card game store will probably buy them all, but only at a massive discount for the following reasons:
-The market for old collectibles moves slowly, there's no guarantee that a buyer will come along, even if some cards are worth a lot.
-They have you over a barrel, since they know customers don't know how to valuate or hilariously overvaluate their collections.
-Most comic/game shops are already struggling to get by.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Maybe I'm being a little cynical here, but most North American restaurants don't actually bake their own desserts. Some ice-cream would add much-needed moisture to a defrosted ready-made cake or pie.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Below, if the stereo has a substantial subwoofer.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

hooah posted:

For some reason, my first floor smells like pot (I think; I haven't had direct contact with the stuff). It did not smell last night, but started smelling first thing in the morning. We don't live in a very populated area and it rained last night, so it seems unlikely that we had people smoking around our house. We did hear some sort of sound outside while we were going to sleep, but didn't think much of it. There is a feral/stray cat whose gender we don't know; does male cats' spray smell at all like weed? What else could possibly be making this odor?

Have you ever smelled a skunk? That's probably it, they are nocturnal, don't mind living in populated areas, their smell hangs around for some time and isn't far off from weed.

Harmless so long as you or your pets dont go barging around in the bushes after twilight.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ineptmule posted:

I feel like this is going to sound kind of insane but here goes.

I am going to view an apartment tonight on behalf of a friend who is moving over from America to London for a year from a couple of weeks away. He's a guy I spent a few weeks hanging out with when he visited quite a long time ago so I don't know him particularly well. We were both teenagers back then and I expect we've changed hugely since.

I really want to help him find a place because I know how awful it can feel for people to move here and have nowhere arranged to live, so what kind of attitude and tone should I take when meeting the potential flatmates tonight? As far as I can tell from the room advert they are a bunch of mid-twenties guys who have a fairly similar lifestyle to my own. I'm not trying to convince them that I'll be a good tenant, although making friends with them might help if they think it'll reflect well on my friend... so should I try to remain somewhat detached and professional or not?

Also is it a huge faux pas to bring like, gifts? Like a pack of beer or wine or something? I'm thinking probably it is but you never know.

You treat it like any other apartment viewing, except you will be answering questions on your friend's behalf, meaning you should know the answers to basic stuff like occupation, education, cooking and cleaning habits, etc. If you don't know these things, don't expect to get the flat.

Have you ever been to an apartment showing before? It's usually a relatively informal experience (hard to avoid when both parties are trying to get an idea of what it would be like to live together), but you have to pick up on the social cues the renter gives, and adopt their tone. Some people prefer a more formal interview, and trying to be their best buddy will not be a success.

Proactively asking questions about maintenance and cleaning is good, but don't take over the interview. The renters are running the show.

Nobody brings gifts to a viewing. Being able to pay multiple months' rent up front as well as deposit might make a difference though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

You can rent a single office or a desk in a shared office for relatively little money in most large cities. Look into office spaces close to your house- your productivity will probably increase a lot if you, um, don't work from home.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Speaking practically, so long as the fridge doesn't contain easily spoiled stuff like raw meat or cooked dishes containing cream or seafood, the risk of getting sick is pretty low. A little common sense in regards to cross contamination and how long different foods last in the fridge goes a long way, as well as taking the time to look and smell before tasting.

That small risk is another matter entirely in food service though, since one spoiled dish can make a lot of people seriously ill, and risk closing the establishment.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

oh gently caress, I have some old apple lying around. Bananas are safe, though right?

I'm not sure how they do it, but fruit flies loving THRIVE on bananas. Of course once you remove one source of fly food, be prepared for them to migrate to another, until you've eliminated all sources in your house. The small flies have a pretty short lifespan though, so a week of vigilance is generally enough to get rid of them.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Favela Flav posted:

I didnt think this was worth its own thread, but i have a fruitfly infestation and cant seem to kill em off. Im a grown man so i keep my house clean. Dishes are done and trash is taken out before bed. But there has been a heatwave over the last fortnight, and these miserable little bastards are everywhere. The only food is some fruit and tomatoes. Well, was. I cant kill them.

Bug spray, bug bombs that i had to leave the house for, pest control fumigation... nothing can kill those fuckers. The breed in the toilet cistern and sink and then go for my tomatoes and pears. Call me crazy but I doht want toilet water on my food. Pouring Drano in the loo and sink didnt work. Pryrethrum didnt work, eucalyptus oil didnt work, tea tree didnt work I dont want to say a bad word, but i think those c-words are breeding faster than i can deal with them...

For some reason they love my bathroom sink, so every time i shave or brush my teeth, they fly up at me. Im getting desperate. The little assholes live in my drain of bathroom sink and toilet then walk all over my fruitbowl

I can try methylated spirits or diesel but they seem to be deathproof, or breeding so fast i cant get them all.

Gonna call it early but burning the place to the ground isn't an option, but any other advice would be appreciated. Its coming into summer here so if i cant sort it now its only gonna get worse as the weather gets warmer

The worst fly infestation I ever experienced was during an extremely warm and humid summer in my old house. For whatever reason, the conditions were perfect for flies so by the time we had removed all food sources in the house it was too late. They had accumulated such a tremendous biomass by the window in our (uninsulated, 40 degree)attic that they were feeding and birthing in a pile of rotting fly matter. A horrifying orgy of cannibalism, sex, maggots and death.

Just a thought.

Edit: forgot I came here with a question: Why do scorched electronics smell the way they do? Burned out electric motors, short circuited lights, broken power supplies, they all have the same distinctive smell. What's actually burning for that matter? Is it just the rubber insulation?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 14, 2015

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

kedo posted:

What's confusing to me is that if a collection agency bought the debt, you should no longer be in debt to the college but rather to the agency...?

Yeah, this part makes no sense. If the college has sold your debt, they no longer have any stake in getting the money. They have no reason to withold the transcript.

The paranoid part of me wonders whether your college has an in-house collections department specifically for fleecing ex-students.

To address the more immediate concern, a friendly conversation in person (if possible) or over the phone with a secretary at the admissions office is probably the fastest way to get a hold of the transcript.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Yes, I know people need to be allowed, but I'm talking about people that are allowed. What if someone I allowed put a virus into my box, will it get into my computer because of the synch?

You can send people links to download specific files which is a perfectly safe way to use dropbox. If you give them access to a common folder for uploading and editing files, then yes, there is a possibility of cryptolocker or a virus jumping from one computer to the other.

nexus6 posted:

Huh, I suppose so but wouldn't you still have to run it for it to do anything? Just don't run trustmeimadolphin.exe if you don't know where it came from.

Cryptolocker might encrypt all of the files in the dropbox folder, which would also be synched. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if some versions are smart enough to encrypt other computers sharing the same dropbox.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 16, 2015

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

Ok so now grammers is buying computer.

Once upon a time Microsoft released Internet Security Essentials, and it was so good that it killed off any need for home users to purchase third party security software, and now this is built into the os from win8 onwards.

Now this sales guy at the department store tells her this sucks and she should buy Norton. Also Wikipedia says this started out good but soon hit a decline and hit rock bottom in 2013 with 0 in goodness score as awarded by the serious business committee.

So is he full of poo poo, or should she to buy AV/FW software, in which case which? AVG? (ugh)

Keep MSE, disable java, set chrome or firefox as the default browser and install an adblocker. If you must buy an AV, ESET is ok, and keeps the hd scanning and "hey, look at me! I'm working!" pop-ups to a minimum.

He's kind of right, in that MSE has become less effective as it became more ubiquitous, but I wouldn't trust anything he says beyond that, simply because Norton is just terrible. Sadly, whatever the leading antivirus programs are at any given time doesn't make much of a difference since they still suck at detecting new iterations of viruses, and they are of little to no use in protecting against users clicking malicious links, installing adware-laden coupon apps and downloading emails with pdf.exe files in them.

Also all the antivirus benchmarks out there are next to useless, since they test with a battery of known viruses. So AV companies have all the time in the world to make a product that will excel at the benchmarks, nevermind it's usefulness in the real world. There's a pretty interesting thread here in a/t by an AV programmer, in case you're interested in reading more.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I like to take my dickheads in moderation.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Disharmony posted:

Is it possible to have the neck line of a large cotton tee shirt tailored to small?

I think we need a picture of your tiny, tiny neck in order to give proper advice here.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Coming from a 6 foot, 120 to 140 lb skeleton- small to medium shirts are your size. You would also have take in the sides, armholes and possibly shoulders for it to fit well. Baggy clothing will just accentuate how skinny you are. T-shirts can be a casual medium, but button-up shirts should always be small.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there currently a tinder/online dating advice thread anywhere in the forums? I remember there being a decent one in e/n which got closed due to goons being creepy or something.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

thechosenone posted:

Is there a service that can search through your home and garage and hock off everything you don't want so that you can finally have a clear house/garage? maybe one that might even help you sort out what you want to keep. like how they help people clear out houses in that reality tv show Hoarders. Except not as extreme a problem?

Is what I'm asking make any sense?

I can give more details if that would help.

Estate sellers specialize in assessing and auctioning off all the possessions of people who have passed away. They have their own people who will go through the house, and probably trash anything that won't sell.

If you just want to clear out your house, have a garage sale? However you do it, don't expect to earn a substantial amount of money.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

504 posted:

What is the general opinion of getting PC game discs polished by a machine at a store? I hear a lot of conflicting stories. I have a lot of discs with surface marks, not paticually deep but installation is not possible due to inability to read sections of the disc.

I worked for a while at a dvd rental store back when that was a thing and our disc resufacing machines worked like 90% of the time. It looks really scary, as it basically sandpapers and then polishes the disc surface, but it works. Turns out most scratches are superficial.

I would be more careful with cheapish cd-rw's and really really old discs. Early cd-roms kinda sucked and the cheap ones have a habit of simply wearing out. There's a good chance older games can be found on GoG or Abandonia in a worst case scenario though. Check first, of course.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Northern Europe plays in English with the exception of Germany. They have their own niche market of German language tractor/truck/outhouse simulators and corny sword and sorcery games.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

If I sell my copy of Far Cry 4 on eBay for :10bux:, would the buyer be able to use the activation code that's included that I've already used?

Nope!

You could add a line in very small font saying that you are selling only the packaging, minus the game. If nothing else, it would make for an entertaining dispute ticket.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sort of a lovely clickbait imageboard as far as I can tell. Whoever makes the ads must spend a lot of time SA. They are perfect honeypots, I still get tricked every so often.

Edit: It's a bad 9gag clone, that's what.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Earwicker posted:

Ok so maybe they signed some stuff or read out a couple statements that were prepared for them. But I still personally do not believe any of them could point to Armenia on a map and I won't believe it until I see them do so in person, unaided.

A lot of US air strikes in Syria and the surrounding area are based out of Turkey. I reckon most politicians up to date on foreign policy are aware of the Armenian genocide but turn a blind eye for this reason.

I'm also pretty sure the UN has had at least one resolution proposed to officially designate what happened as a genocide - try and look up how the US voted.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kurzon posted:

I'm referring more to an attitude or philosophy. Racism and religious differences, for instance, can cause people to fight each other.

Divisive

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

ugh anyone knows how to get rid of a mouth ulcer fast?

Boil some water, pour it in a cup, add several heaping spoonfuls of salt and wait until it cools just barely enough that you can stand it. Rinse your mouth with it for 5 minutes. Kills whatever is causing the ulcer overnight.

Don't swallow the salt water. You will vomit, a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's nice as dinner if you're sick and can't deal with making real food. Throw some crackers in there too