Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Abel Wingnut posted:

not looking to make them, am looking to have nice smells

If you bring a candle home, please only light it when you're there to supervise. Don't want you to burn your home down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Protip: get the best smelling candle you find and dump the hot wax on your partner. They’ll smell great and appreciate your thoughtfulness. The more wax you dump at once, the better.

NO

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Why do most mammals have pink dicks?

Thin skin + blood is red = pink

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

How do you deal with nightmares?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hey, thanks for the advice. Having tea before bed helped me sleep soundly last night.

There's stress in my life that I can't do anything about, so that's not helping. :sigh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Qubee posted:

Get yourself Rooibos tea, it has next to no caffeine content so you can drink it as much as you like leading up to bed. If I have regular tea before bed, it keeps me awake.

I drink herbal tea in general but thank you!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Is it normal to have aches in your jaw where your wisdom teeth were? It's been almost two years since the surgery and it went great, things healed up fine, but sometimes I get these really mild aches where the teeth used to be. Like phantom pains, but for teeth.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.desmos.com/calculator

f(x)=x+1

the 1 makes you put the first point on (0,1)

but why does the x make it go to (-1,0)?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

x = -1
-1 + 1 = 0

:thunk:

Thanks

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

f(x) essentially just means y.

So, y=x+1.

So, if x=0, y=0+1, or 1. (0,1)
If x=-1, y=-1+1, or 0. (-1,0)

oh this makes more sense, thank you!

You'd think I'd be able to figure something like this out - I know f(x)=y, but damned if I'm any good at using abstract logic to make that kind of leap to solving for y without help.

e: And hey, that explains why I suck at math and have problems with it. The classes are constructed so that I learn tool A (something like how to factor), then they teach me how to use tool B (how to add fractions with an x^2 in 'em) but whenever they try to combine the tools, I get totally lost.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 22, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

Math is hard, don't worry about it.

I just started an OU course for computer stuff and they make you do a term of basic math like I did when I was 15-16 and drat do I not remember any of the math I did at 15-16.

I took Algebra I last semester and had to spend the first month relearning how to do long division and how to subtract fractions because it's the same here. No memory for it, and if it comes up in my day-to-day life I have a calculator.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That can't be repeated enough. Don't forget that you're a stupid, hairy ape just like the rest of us and your stupid, hairy ape brain evolved to throw spears at antelope and weave baskets not to worry about numbers. Math is difficult even if you have some kind of inborn talent. The important thing is to hammer away at it until you get it. It's tedious and boring and your brain will hate doing it but it's so drat useful.

If you get really stuck just set it down for like five or ten minutes. Get a cup of tea or something then come back to it. Forcing your brain into a context switch does wonders.

Thank you!

I've got about two weeks before my midterm so I'm beginning to really put in the study - I can't bring that graphing calculator into the exam, after all, so I'd better reinforce all of those basics.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fruity20 posted:

once I get into college, do i have to stay in a dorm room or at home?

and also for majors, my parents want me to be a doctor but i find that job stressful despite enjoying biology and health.

and if i wanna change a major, does this require paperwork?

Do you have a college advisor? It sounds like you need to talk to them in person without your parents.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fruity20 posted:

I'm 19 and this will be the last year of high school for me. Yet...I lack the adult mindset. I have so many conflicting thoughts on career paths that i'm not sure what major i want. I enjoy doing digital art, but I also like writing more specifically screenwriting. I gotten in interest in game development and coding. And, for the longest time, I wanted to be a biologist or maybe a zoologist.

then not to mention my parents wanting me to do a medical doctor but i'm just not into it. then again....there's a reason the starving artist is such a common thing.

After highschool I didn't do any schooling for almost five years. I'm in my late 20s now and tackling college and y'know what? I still have no friggin' clue what I'll do for a career. I'm technically aiming for an accounting degree (because it'll be guaranteed useful in basically any field) but heck if I know what my future plans are.

My advice to you is try to relax a little bit. You don't have to pick now, and college has a lot of general requirements you'll have to tackle either way, so ease into those and focus on learning and growing up. You're going to be fine.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

tuyop posted:

It’s unclear whether this current thing is a new career or the same career, you’re right. But it is a significantly different job where I’m using my experiences and qualifications in new ways. vOv

It's irrelevant either way - the advice is solid. If you're young, relax. You have a long life ahead of you and it's going to be vastly different than you expect. Chill and don't stress!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Its Coke posted:

This is something I've been wondering for a while. Do normies enjoy generic music as much as neuro-atypicals like us enjoy good music? Like when a normie hears Halsey - Without Me come on a playlist do they get the same deep sense of awe, wholeness and sadness that I get when I find a really good song?

Please try to phrase questions politely next time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Alright, I'll ask in case anyone has an answer: are there any differences in how neurotypical and atypical brains listen to and enjoy music? I'm aspergers/autistic and love basically all genres - Carly Rae Jepsen's Emotion album is killer, Paris' The Devil Made me Do It is great, etc etc. I know everyone's got individual tastes, but if anyone's studied this or noticed patterns I'd like to know about 'em!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

There is a lot of research on the neurology of music appreciation.

If you want to go down a rabbit hole about specific research into autistic people’s perception of music, this article cites most of the frequently-cited work on the topic.

Aha, perfect. Thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

what do you do at night when you're depressed, lonely and scared

like, when suicidal urges start to creep in

I read a book, get tea, sometimes get a sketchbook and draw, sometimes watch tv... I usually sleep well these days, but yeah. Oh right, one more: have a hot bath.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

Is there an Ironman thread somewhere?

What kind?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

The Triathlon kind!

Ah! You'll want to look in YLLS, then.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

what is the deal with all those "farm simulator" and "construction simulator" type video games? i see them pop up in online stores and whatnot but never see/hear anyone talking about them, ive watched a couple trailers out of curiosity and they look pretty high budget and it looks like they keep coming out with new ones every year like fifa, but there is never any kind of hype and i dont really understand the appeal... do people actually play these games? are they for some kind of job training? are they fun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

sorry I don't have a serious answer

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Why are 6-hour probations so common in GiP?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Farrier Theaks posted:

They're the NJP of probes.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Also depending on the forum/thread it’s fine

Like in a chat thread or C-SPAM no one is gonna be bothered if you double post

For a while (still?) there was a user in ADTRW whose entire gimmick was double, triple or even quad posting in almost any thread. That's an incredibly laid back place though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

hooah posted:

LOL saw your post then saw you're probated. Figured they had to be related and I was right!

The post they made is uh, holy cow gently caress off dude, don't make Ask/Tell into accomplices in being an rear end in a top hat.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Archdat posted:

Are there any rap/hip hop songs about anal sex rather than vaginal?

With or without homophobia?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fruity20 posted:

how do I get people to not hate me? or at least not assume some of things I say are hurtful...

Have confidence, don't say offensive/rude things, and if you're ignorant and someone calls you on it, thank them and learn from the experience. Also, lurk a lot and get a feel for how other posters post. Note who gets probed/banned and why, and vise-versa.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fruity20 posted:

how can I stop caring what others will think of me? I'm an artist and I fear a random comment is gonna be said how my art looks like weeb trash...or western sjw trash alternatively..

You need to see a therapist.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Qubee posted:

Kinda makes me sad when people are putting in top tier effort advice but this guy tends to cherry pick what they wanna listen to and will outright ignore people who don't stroke his ego. Isn't there a Social Advice thread where they'd feel better suited to asking these q's?

They're 19, what do you expect? Teenagers gotta grow into listening to good advice.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am American and don't have access to a TV that has anything other than Netflix.

How do I watch sports (any) live on my laptop? Legally, ideally. Do I have to get cable?

I feel like this is a more stupid question than usual but I have zero experience watching things that aren't streamed or come on discs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

All of this information is useful and I will look into it, thanks!

I gotta complain though, why haven't these sports people heard of things like twitch or youtube. Get with the times, I hate inconveniencing myself.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

My understanding is that the greater body of Sigmund Freud’s work has fallen out of favor and his method of psychoanalysis and theories such as the id and ego are largely abandoned by those who work in psychiatry. Why then does it seem like he has an enduring influence on the field, and that he continues to be cited in scholarly works?

Flippant answer: massive cultural impact, people love blaming things on sex.

I don't actually know, sorry.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Just wanted to say, thread thank you for existing. I had a stupid question to ask this morning, googled it first, and found an answer. That doesn't always happen and I'm glad I've got you as a fallback.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ulex minor posted:

is there a way to look up your own post history if you don't have platinum?

What post are you looking for? I've got plat and could snoop in your history if you want

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Just help pay for the care and feeding of Lowtax's defective, evil neckbones and cough up the :10bux:

Also this is a good idea...but only give if you can.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Life sucks right now. Anyone have any happy SA threads?

Greyhounds thread! - It's mostly great pictures of ridiculous dogs, you should look at them.

Same deal with the Bird Crazies thread - there are some sad stories in there, but it's mostly a bunch of people loving their pets.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Robokomodo posted:

All the drat time.

I also read that if you post something that might be wrong, you’ll get 400 people with the “correct” answer. So, problem solved.

Thanks guys!

I hope you’re low on the spectrum.

You're an rear end in a top hat. Go be an rear end in a top hat somewhere else.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I want to benefit from the oils in garlic and therefore eat 3 garlic cloves a day in the morning. This is hardly bearable but gets much easier with fat (milk/cheese/butter). I read that fat neutralises garlic. Stupid question: Does it only neutralize the smell, the burning or actually the effect I am after as well? Thank you.

You know that vampires aren't actually real, right?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Do fish have blood? I had a dream about a vampire living near the sea and, well, can he feed via fishing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jeza posted:

Yes, and it's a little bit weird that you don't know that if I may say so.

High school biology class was a long time ago and I've otherwise never run into fish? They come in frozen chunks from the grocery store. I saw the salmon fishing frenzy last year but that was people using a line and then putting the fish into little nets so they'd stay fresh.