Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Stupid and small and a long shot:

Does anyone know how I would dial German +8000 "international free call" numbers from abroad? e.g. 008000-5555-5555.

I have to contact the manufacturer regarding service on my stethoscope. +49 008000-5555-5555 doesn't work and neither does +49 8000-5555-5555. Mall kiosk for my mobile plan provider figures there obviously should be a way but they don't know what it is. Same thing with the customer service line I called. Skype apparently doesn't connect to free numbers in Germany at all, whether from within or outside the country. And the manufacturer's website doesn't list any numbers in any other format. They aren't responding to emails. I need my stethoscope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

The prefix for toll free numbers in Germany is 0800, not 08000. Looking at some examples, seven digits after that is common, so the number of fives in your example doesn't match that either.

Looking here, you should end up with something like this: +49 800 xxxxxxx or 0049 800 xxxxxxx

Don't expect it to be toll free when calling from abroad.

Hmm. I'm really confused now. I'm specifically trying contact "International free call +8000-CALL-ERKA (008000-2255-3752)" listed at https://www.erka.org/en/service. It's the same number listed on their Contact page so presumably isn't a one-off typo. I've tried removing the extra zero but no luck. Combined with ignoring my emails I'd assume it's a deadbeat company but they're one of the largest brands behind Litmmann, Welch Allyn, and Reister.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Doesn't work.

For either of the two.

:(

e: Had someone try calling both these and +49 versions from a landline in the US. Also doesn't work for them.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 30, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Carbon dioxide posted:

One more thing to try:

Germany happens to have a law where every single website registered by a business is required to have a page containing their address and local contact info.

Theirs is here:
https://www.erka.org/en/legal-notes-and-data-protection

Now that has a number with a German country code.
Dialing that number (during German office hours) is likely to pass by their customer service and connect you to their office receptionist who might not speak English very well, but I mean, if you're out of options otherwise, there's nothing to lose.

Thank you! I tried that number and it works. And had I eventually found it myself I likely wouldn't have tried without omitting the 0.

Will try to see if my German can handle a short conversation.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

So maybe not as small question but I haven't found a better place for it:

I am wondering when was the last time that European monarchs had a feudal-style army. Many are still the nominal commanders in chief of the national army. They may be the honorary colonel-in-chief of several regiments. But I mean a military force of whatever size that owed allegiance to them not as the head of the national government but as the duke of X or count of Y or another subsidiary title. (In a ridiculous but hopefully clear example from fiction, Joffrey Baratheon was king of Westeros and could summon the nominal national force composed of Lannister and Tyrel armies & levies. But he was also head of house Baratheon which had its own army and several tiny houses with their own forces in the Crownlands sworn directly to him).

I am particularly interested in the British monarch but any others would also be interesting. And if anyone knows both A) the last time they actually had a standing force, even if just one regiment B) when they retained the right to summon a levy in a way that would likely have been obeyed, not just a hypothetical quirk.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

BonHair posted:

I mean, for Denmark, that's 1848, the year we abolished absolute monarchy. Up to that point, the king could tell the army to invade Sweden whenever he wanted, even though it usually didn't go well. I don't know if that's what you're after, but I imagine it's the same in most post-monarchy countries.

Not exactly what I'm getting at but still very interesting! I sometimes forget how recent the Napoleonic Wars were. And there's of course Russia if you count her Tsar as a European-style monarch. But 1848 is way later for absolute monarchy than I would have imagined.

Still, while that army might have pledged loyalty to the Danish Crown and even the current king of Denmark, they were the Danish national army not the king's personal military force.

dupersaurus posted:

Before that the monarchs had started forming personal guards and the feudalistic way still kinda existed, but it was less lordly duties and more the king commissioning a nobleman to go fetch him some troops for a party.

Yeah I know that this retinue of retinues system both existed and that the ability to actually get that nobleman to comply varied. Technically the monarch was overlord of all the dukes, who certainly had forces of their own. But aside from being the king of England they may have been the count of Hertfordshire (they weren't but just an example) and that meant the Hertfordshire regiment. Or a company of archers as the baron of some barony in Hertfordshire. Or maybe a regiment directly maintained by the king as a nobleman. I'm wondering how long this lasted.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm looking for full sets by female comediennes I can watch on YouTube while drifting off to sleep. I see to have gone through the slim pickings of using search terms like "full show female comic" with the >20 min filter. I found Liz Miele along the way and a few others. The rest for the first dozen pages or so are ~20 minute shows, compilations, and old men. Those are the majority of results anyways.

Dudes like Matt Rife also work. i.e. young & witty; 99% of the reason I'm looking for women is to avoid listening to some old dude talk about how you can't talk about anything anymore.

(And, I'm reticent to be a choosing beggar but I'll say I absolutely cannot stand when comics play the piano or sing during their shows. It's almost never, ever funny to me. I know exactly one exception and that's Tim Minchin's song Prejudice. )

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 13, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Those kits are not terrible but they're not enough. Given my profession I'm thinking of medications rather than things like gauze. (But I do think it's worth having a tick removal sub-kit. Even if a commercial kit comes with one it's unlikely to be of sufficient quality.)

Now for medications. I keep a lot and consider them indispensable. But I'm trying to think of what I would recommend given I have no idea what level of first aid training or familiarity with OTC medications you might have. Let's try:

• Naloxone. You might be living in a part of the EU where opioids are not the drug of choice. But that doesn't matter. Amphetamines and research chemicals can be tainted. And your friend's grandfather can accidentally take too much morphine. Get it. Get trained on it (it's not hard). Possibly save lives.
  • Aspirin 300 mg (not 75 mg!) tablets. But read up on when to give these.
  • Paracetamol 500 mg / 1000 mg (make sure you know which). As an antipyretic and pain reliever.
  • (You can also keep ibuprofen in addition but there are contraindications to ibuprofen so this really depends.)
  • Hydrocortisone 1% cream. For reactions.
  • Diphenhydramine. An antihistamine that can be used both for more significant reactions and nausea/motion.
  • Some sort of non-drowsy antihistamine. This will depend on availability in your country.
  • Loperamide. For diarrhoea; not all diarrhoea should be held in with loperamide, but even in most of these cases using it for a short time won't hurt much.

That's it for me. Many reputable sources such as the Mayo Clinic or Johns Hopkins or national healthcare services recommend more. I disagree with them for most of the things they recommend, which are fine to have in your home's medicine cabinet but unnecessary in a first aid kit. Everything I listed is useful, inexpensive or can be bought in small packs, and mostly safe. Keep a notebook with the kit where you note A) the expiration date for all of these (almost all medications you can use after the expiration date but it's better not to play that math game on cheap items) so you don't have to go through each one individually but instead can take a quick glance at a single page B) not crucial but you can keep track of stock on the same page: write the number of tablets you start with e.g. ten then use the I I I I system for each used tablet C) on other pages, a log of when you used it and why especially if you give it to someone else.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 13, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

regulargonzalez posted:

Good list but I'd also include an epi-pen. They can be pricey - not sure in the EU - but for severe allergic reactions like a peanut or bee sting allergy, it can literally save a life. Diphenhydramine is good but depending on the reaction, it may simply be too slow-acting.

That's right. Diphenhydramine can be given after the jab but not instead of it. It's certainly worth know this.

Still, you're not going to get an Rx for an Epi-Pen on the basis that someone other than yourself might need to use it. Even if you say that take care of a family member with intellectual disabilities, or a small child, the prescription will be in their name.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 13, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

There is an important Indian language set that is basically one language but has a different name when written versus spoken.

I can't recall if it is literally just different names for when the one language is used one way or the other, or if there are differences i.e. some words and concepts you can write but would not typically speak in the way It's written and some words you might use in speech do not have a common word in writing.

Any ideas?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Ooh. Interesting. I would not have expected this since most places speaking Cantonese write in Traditional Chinese which if going by the name alone would seem more difficult to understand from the Traditional writer Simplified reader direction.

What I am thinking of is definitely an important Indian language set. They're used by the exact same people in the exact same places, unlike the Mandarin and Chinese example.

Your example is however similar to the reverse of a situation with two Indian languages, Hindi and Urdu, where if I understand correctly the spoken languages are very similar close to the point of being dialects of the same, but the people speaking them write in entirely different ways.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 14, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Hey guys!

Does anyone know any free (or freemium) invoice software/app for sending the occasional invoice?

I remembered about Invoicely but they don't really have a free version anymore. It lets you make two or three on a given account and send it to one email (and using the preview function to send it to your own email counts toward that limit of one).

I could just pull a template from somewhere and do it in Word. But these apps often have some nice features.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

FreshFeesh posted:

Invoice Ninja. If you want to see other options, https://github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted is a good resource for free software solutions

Thanks! Invoice Ninja does seem to offer a lot for free. Including PayPal integration.

However it creates a product that doesn't look all that professional. Not least because the words 'Invoice Ninja' might not be exactly what you want written on a bill you submit to a government entity (which I'm doing here).

And I don't really have any way to self host. I don't have a website. I only need to send an invoice a few times a year and the last time Invoicely worked as a functional freemium product. I can't find much else on my own. Wave and QuickBooks and others like it have major flaws that make it entirely impractical for me, whether it's only letting you use one currency, or not having enough characters in the Banking Information/Notes section to write out my full banking information. If you (or anyone else) knows of anything else please do let me know. It'd be weird if there was no freemium invoice generator that lets you do the basics, but I can't find one.

Alternatively, is there a better place to ask this question? Nowhere in the sub-forum looks promising. I guess people who make art online might know, but the art threads aren't for this kind of thing.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What would be the difference between laundry detergents 'for colors' vs. 'for color&whites'?

Thanks in advance!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Plenty of people don't remember their PIN and have to whip out their phone to look it up.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Bright Bart posted:

What would be the difference between laundry detergents 'for colors' vs. 'for color&whites'?

Thanks in advance!

Don't worry I'm only going to bumping this once. But I could use some help. I have some nice cotton shirts that I want to take care of.

I can find (sometimes conflicting) information on what degetergent for whites is, and what detergent ls fot colors is. But not what detergent for white and colors is and based on the definitions of the former it sounds like an oxymoron.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

In Eastern Europe (including Germany), wedding rings go on the fourth finger of the right hand.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Foxfire_ posted:

for whites and colors => has a bleachlike in it that is supposed to not attack common color dyes, only other stains. Use on either white or dyed cloth. Will whiten your white shirts, hopefully won't mess up your colored shirts.

Thank you! And the other folks pitching in. But this works well enough for me.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm wondering how risky it is to write a negative review using your Google account.

Take something like a shirt store that mostly sells online but has one or two locations as well. You buy a shirt where its description says 100% cotton. In fact the website notes 'We are proud to produce only 100% cotton shirts!' You get your order and the tag says 45% cotton 55% polyester. The store doesn't respond to your emails. What risk is there to upload a pic and note down what happened?

Google is the main place for reviews of this type here. But even if I had an account without my name tied to it, they could probably figure out who I am based on my complaint and the shirt in the picture.

So are the tales of rabid small-business owners stalking you online, writing negative reviews on your professional page, messaging your boss on LinkedIn with made up bs, and/or calling you from different phones telling you to take the review down isolated incidents or something to really consider as a potential outcome?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Tiggum posted:

I recently had a bunch of roof painters (and a few miscellaneous other tradespeople) phone, text and email me about quoting for a non-existent job a suspiciously short time after I wrote a negative review on google. One of them woke me up at 8am on a Saturday. :mad:

Was the review for anything to do with home renovation in the first place?

And yeah. Humans are weird creatures. We can get conciously angry enough to premeditate these sorts of things, let alone get instinctively frustrated and lash out, even if we know that we're the ones doing something wrong. Ask the burglar who told police when caught that the reason they came back to beat the homeowner was that they were pissed that jerk didn't have anything.

When I was on reddit someone posted screenshots with someone threatening to raper and kill them, from different phones on different days, because the OP have remotely bricked the iPhone the person stole. Could have been made up for clout (its own weird thing) but eh...

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm imaging a vicious cycle.

They call you. Politely, you apologize to them and explain that you're both being played with. They absolutely believe you because the story checks out and the quote is for a septic tank installation while you live in an apartment. But... they're still p***ed their hopes were raised and you dashed them. So they all sign you up for things like army recruitment lists, or quotes on broadband services from across the country to maximize chance of annoying times of contact.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 8, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Unless I dreamed it, there is/was a webseries or show on Netflix where whitehat hackers listen in on scammers calling the US from abroad. They then get on the line to let the victim to know what is going on, trying to go long enough to get evidence that van be sent to local police but cutting the connection if the victim seems about to transfer something or give out sensitive details.

The hosts said that It's often very hard to convince the victims. Often they have to be like 'We have Detective X of the New York City Police Departme t with us. You can call Precinct Y, say code word [bleep] and they'll patch you through. She can confirm what we say.'

When the delusion that the hackers are only trying to steal their golden opportunity to buy 1000 iPhone 14 Maxs at just $50 each directly from Tim Cook himself, they can then drop that delusion and simply insist the police and the hackers are mistaken. Maybe in their experience most such cases are frauds. But not this one.

Now one host said they don't blame the victims, because these scammers survive on their charm and charisma and mastery of rhetoric. But what they show is very basic social engineering. Run of the mill stuff that the average person doesn't usually fall for. Greed? Sunken costs?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

They're deliberately low quality to filter out people who know better, even if 9 people out of ten would just hang up immediately then that just means you have to make 10 phone calls to get a chance at succeeding in the scam. Ultimately old people are just kinda stupid and stopped learning things like 40 years ago.

I have started seeing ads on YouTube that are those 'learn how to make thousands a day from home' ads but with even lower production values. I've noticed some get specific facts wrong. Like 'There are 28 million people in this country, most will work to the bone and not see any results, do you want to be one of them or one of us?' There aren't 28 million. There many more. That's not a rounding error or a statistic from the last many decades. So I'm wondering if they just don't care or intentionally chose a number way off.

Also, I'm getting outright racist ads. Like 'Everyone knows that the arabs [just 'arabs'] are rich from oil and they take care of their own. Everyone with an application gets €2000 a day. But arabs aren't good at computers so we can teach you how to sideload the app and spoof your IP.'

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

mystes posted:

I think there is a definite chance if you're identifiable they'll at least try to contact you to resolve the situation / get you to take the negative review down

I got contact today. They offered to let me return the goods despite their policy on opened products. They did not agree to refund shipping or pay for shipping it back to them, that's on me.

They also did not agree to change what's on the website. What I bought isn't a shirt, but in my 100% Italian cotton shirts example the argument these guys gave was the equivalent of 'We do make 100% cotton shirts. We get pure cotton, which we then blend with polyester to make our fabrics. And we buy the cotton from Italian wholesalers. It might not have been processed in Italy or even physically been in Italy but it's not a lie to say it's Italian cotton.' I pointed out that while I can't do anything about it, it clearly is intended to be misleading, and these also are terms defined by law and one day they'll get into trouble. And they're not a big enough company to hire the lawyers to get out of it. The person told me they can't make these decisions and has no direct access to people on the level that would. Which is likely true, but frustrating.

All in all I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I want to take a review that could warn others about this for what amounts to less than half of what I paid when you factor in shipping.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

mystes posted:

If the product isn't as described it doesn't matter what their stated return policy is, they need to fully refund you imo. It's entirely their responsibility to not say things like "100% italian cotton" if it's not 100% italian cotton.

Good point. My track record with this being the case having an influence is not spotless. But it's not entirely bad. This year I was overcharged for something. To continue the analogies, let's say I rent a power tool for a week and returned it on time. But come end of the month I see a three month rental charge on my card. They admitted it was a system error and acknowledged my receipts. Then said that their policy is that all discrepancies in billing must be brought to their attention within 14 calendar days and so there's nothing I can do.

When I emailed them the law about how you have at minimum 2 years to bring up discrepancies in billing and often more, I was a sent nasty message in my mailbox. Think 'Oh. So I see you're a lawyer all of a sudden? Well, you might want a refund from your imaginary law school not us. Ever heard of "de jure" and "de facto"? "De jure" we owe you your money. "De facto" we're not going to give it to you. Sue us if you like." As I was boiling over reading this I received another email, clearly hastily written without spellcheck and random caps lock, basically saying 'YOU HAVE RECEIVED A MESSAGE IN ERROR!!! IGNORE! We are happy that you have pointed this out and rest assured we will update our policy right away [they did], and monyy shld be in ur account ASAP give me 5 minutes.'

This was a municipal government owned business lol.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Silver Falcon posted:

Hooooooly poo poo, that's amazing. What do you think happened?

The second email was from a firstname.lastnameATcompany.com address rather than the serviceATcompany.com one I had been corresponding with. I didn't bother looking up who that person is in the company, but it wasn't the person signing the nasty message or the previous emails. Otherwise I'd figure it was the first option. But I am edging towards it being the second. It was way too soon after the first to have been caught in a random review. So maybe supervisors get pinged when the support people use key terms like 'we owe you your money', 'injury', 'court case', 'de jure', 'you're a lawyer', and especially 'sue us'.

Earwicker posted:

lol that's pretty amazing. would love to have seen the behind the scenes moment there

Yeah, but I take pleasure in knowing that it's likely better than I can imagine.

I did feel bad in taking such pleasure because maybe this lady speaking with me was just venting in a draft on a bad day. I don't know if she should lose her job. And I'd feel bad to learn she was fired, which is very plausibly what ended up happening especially if this wasn't isolated. But on the other hand I imagine maybe she found a better job that didn't turn her into a huge jerk.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Inceltown posted:

How many people don't even realise that the "don't operate heavy machinery" warning on drugs means drive a car.

They let literal children drive cars. Some states as young as 14 or 14 1/2 IIRC. Plus people used to drive drunk all the time, and I've never seen an old timey 50s businessman crash their Caddy in at least a decade. You're telling me I can't drive myself home after 2 mg of lorazepam when I've already waited two hours for my discharge? It's one hour per unit chump.

Yes don't drive especially since depending on the benzodiazepine and obviously the dose you might not even feel off when you most certainly are.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

GWBBQ posted:

Put a LED strip inside a piece of white wiremold.

I know of decorative LED strips entirely, and I do meam entirely, from the preview pictures of stories about 'Perfect gifts for tweens and young teenagers 11 to 14!' on places like The Guardian or Wired.

Until now. And to be honest your idea made me want them.

I wonder if there's a way to hide them behind white-washed wood that would make them look nice.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

This is more of a rant than a question. Sorry about that

I was somehow enrolled as a driver for Uber. I never applied, and never clicked on any buttons accepting any terms or conditions. But I'm told I could have searched for an FAQ on Google while logged in on that browser and been taken to the Driver FAQ which may have flagged my account as a Driver. This means I get texts and emails from them I can't opt out of, and my profile picture has been deleted and I can't add one without going to a depot with ID. Customer support apologizes but says there's no way to become a Rider again without deleting my account and making a new one, which should take 30 days.

Well 30 days later it's still active. So they try on their end. 30 days later still active. Once again, 30 days later still active. (More than 30 actually we gave it time.) Now it appears if your account is a Driver account it takes 7 years to delete. And still the only thing they can do is suggest is waiting for 7 year deletion process.

I could just block each address as it emails me next time, and number as I receive an SMS from them. On the extreme I could buy a cheap SIM to switch the number and switch the email to a throwaway. They would still have my data to use for marketing and other purposes. (Not saying they would 100% delete what they are required to by law as they haven't in the past but it's also the principle.)

They won't escalate since they say there is nothing else that can be done. I tried the Data Protection Officer's office but that redirects messages to customer service. Any ideas? Is there anyway to have a support ticket flagged for escalation using keywords in the complaint or something like that?

Thank you.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Grassy Knowles posted:

I am not a lawyer etc etc: p sure that if you've asked them to stop contacting you they have to honor that request or else it is considered harassment; i would look into the laws around that wherever you're at and see if it might be worth finding a legal professional willing to take up the issue (i have seen success in situations like this reaching out to the most-local university with a law school for a recommendation, if such a thing exists where you're at)

Most often (always?) law students running clinics for tenants or consumers can only give you factual information, rarely can they give you advice, and almost never represent you even if it's by drafting a letter you yourself rather than them sign & send. But I do have a buddy who informally trades his services with me for what my profession offers, sometimes with some small amounts involved afterward as a thank-you.

I'm still not sure how far them simply being in the wrong according to the law would go. They probably know they're not following the law. Having a law office send them a letter spelling that out to them is going to matter? A lawyer could probably help me get in touch with a regulator which Uber might want to stay on the good side of, but that might be a back-and-forth more complicated than what I could ask my friend to do.

BonHair posted:

If you're in the EU, say GDPR and ask them to delete your data

I am! And oh I did. I should have mentioned that. They're agreeing to the deletion of my data. They're just not deleting it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Carbon dioxide posted:

Go to your country's GDPR regulator and file a complaint about them there. Add as much evidence as you can, conversation and mail history, all that.

Yeah will have to do that. I found a direct email to Uber's Data Protection Office rather than the form that redirects to customer service. I just received a reply to go like

'Thank you for reaching out to us. You have requested deletion of your data. We have investigated and found to that your data has already been deleted, 3 times recently, and is currently being deleted again. To streamline communications we are closing this ticket and ensuring that any reply or further communication from this email address will be forwarded to customer service. We hope that we have resolved your issue and/or concern'

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 14, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

LOL! I just tested out to see if they actually were forwarding my messages to Uber Support now or were bluffing. It's worse. They're not even being forwarded.

I just get an automated reply saying that my data protection issue has been resolved and I should contact Uber Support from now on or look at the FAQ for any Privacy Policy questions. And that my message has not reached or been read by a member of the Data Protection Office.

In effect, Uber's privacy complaints department has blocked me lol.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 14, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Wondering how to tell my neighbours who are complaining that I play my jazz too loud that the reason I do it is because they're banging really loudly. The volume is just meant to cover that and doesn't even do it nearing the end. Yeah I could put in earphones but that's besides the point and isn't actually convenient at all.

My plan right now is to next time say 'Sorry, but there's some noise that's awkward to listen to that I keep hearing from within the building. Ten to twenty minutes at a time, maybe four or five times a day during the time I'm home. Until that's sorted I don't know if I can be any quieter.'

It doesn't directly accuse her, and is ambivalent on whether I recognize it's her having sex, but is clear enough that that's the source.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I can't speak for Asians but I wouldn't use the term because it's imprecise, has negative connotations, and doesn't convey anything any better than Asian or an even more specific term.

A less obvious question might be if Iranians are offended at being called 'Persian' and in my experience no but they don't like it for similar reasons to how the Dutch do not all like to be told they're 'from Holland'.

One last thing, in some languages the residents of India and people of Indian ethnicity are called 'Hindus'. That'd be kind of like the term for the Chinese being 'Daoists'. Except here it comes from the Indus not the religion.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 16, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Fun fact the word 'arabesque' refers to a specific decorative style in certain mediums not to Arab-like things in general so racists like always are getting it wrong.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Fruits of the sea posted:

What institutions are these? I've seen Asian, more specific terms like South-East Asian or just the nationality in question.

I have zero doubts there's a Department of Oriental Studies.

Universities and their ilk, as much as they're accused of forcing kids to become woke radical, are on balance reactionary. Lots of units of Georgian studies in the Department of Russian Studies. Still some classes on 'primitive cultures'. A college of surgery in Scotland still keeps the bones of a gigantic man who begged throughout his life not to be put on display when he died, with the body having been outright stolen after he passed. For science!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What people also need to remember is that when you read books (or listen to podcasts or watch mobies) about history, that empire and that people were not Muslims because there was no Islam yet. But that's not the cool part. The cool part is that they were a Zoroastrian people for the most part.

And the coolest part is that there are still Zoroastrians, both practicing and those who consider their religious heritage their most important identity even if they're non-practicing or even agnostic or atheist or believers in another faith.

The writer of A Fine Balance is a Zoroastrian. Although I'm not sure which of the above definitions.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I have what has to be a greater stain on my cotton oxford shirt. A slightly irregular circle and maybe half the diameter of a pencils eraser. But it's in a noticeable spot.

I only noticed after it had been washed (which would have been at 40°C / 104 F using regular detergent.

Wetting it with dish soup, then letting it sit in a bowl of warm water with dish soup, then rubbibg it together didn't do it.

Anything else I can try? Should I risk the shirt and launder it at a higher temperature than recommended on the tag? Or does the temperature not have much to do with it?

Would a dry cleaner even be able to get a set grease stain out? Or would it be a waste of money to try?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Powered Descent posted:

I've had good luck with oxy-powered stuff. I use the one from Aldi that's called something like Oxi-Clean, it comes in a spray bottle. There are many other brands though. Soak the stain with the stuff, let it sit ten minutes, then run it through a normal wash and dry. Works great on little oil and grease spots that a regular laundry cycle didn't get out.

Interesting! Might be worth a shot. Google didn't suggest it but there is a lot on the engine when I specifically search for Oxi Clean + grease stains.

Did it get the stain out completely?

The brand name is also quite expensive so I'd probably have to bring up the ingredients on my phone then look for a generic version with the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I don't know if anyone remembers my struggles to delete my Uber account. Basically I went through the 30-day deletion process (once by myself and three times on their part) without success, only to be told that they think the system is treating me as a driver by accident. After (presumably?) trying something it failed again, whereupon they now insist I have been a driver. After showing them this is not the case and that the very ticket shows CURRENT DRIVER=NO, FORMER DRIVER=NO they said they'll handle it manually by removing my account directly.

It didn't work. And... they've now told me as there is nothing else than can be done they will not accept any further requests to delete my account.

I'd contact the Privacy Officer, but I already did and that department told me they are satisfied that customer support is doing their best to help me and that no further messages from me or in relation to my account will be read. (I've tried and yes they did respond with 'We have not read this message and will not read future messages pertaining to this account'.)

I've filed an official complaint with the relevant regulator. One that required me to use my government electronic signature and attest that what I am saying is true or face consequences. But I'm sceptical. I had a problem with Wizz Air once and after a while the Hungarian regulator just told me that while headquartered in Hungary, WA is a multinational corporation whose shareholders are citizens of many different countries and they're not sure they have any jurisdiction. (They obviously do and I think the person writing even if the lowest grunt knows that. Just not sure if they didn't want to do all the work involved or if the government agency doesn't want the heat.)

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 25, 2024