Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
There's a Roman philosopher/rhetorician that wrote an essay on why one should pursue older women. I cannot for the life of me remember who it was, and I can't seem to get the right Google terms to find that essay. Does anyone know offhand the essay I'm thinking of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

It was Benjamin Franklin advising a friend to choose an older mistress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advice_to_a_Friend_on_Choosing_a_Mistress

This one feels much shorter and more silly than what I recall. Thank you, I'll have to keep digging.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I have a desktop computer with a dead HDMI port and a TV that only takes HDMI input. I would like to connect one to the other for the purpose of watching TV and movies. What's the cheapest/easiest way to do that?

Is there any reason why you couldn’t just use a chromecast?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Thank you for the tips.

I'm more than happy (and even prefer) to work with small individual photographers, many of whom explicitly don't have businesses outside of their homes. It's super expensive to have a brick and mortar.

You know, I'd be interested in hearing what you end up finding out. I've been teaching high school kids photography for a few years now, and I recently spent a fair amount of money on some personal equipment to use as a hobbyist. But there's a voice in the back of my mind saying that I could make money (well, money more directly as a photographer rather than a teacher) off of this. But from that end, there's the big question - how do you even begin?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Clearly you aren’t familiar with the underground butt injection operation that keeps killing people all over the American south (and if you think that’s a joke, google will disabuse you of that notion very quickly)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's called "pilling." You can get clothes shavers whose job is to remove those. I used one ages ago and it worked fine.

Just be warned, once you start shaving your sweaters, you'll find yourself shaving couches, blankets, chairs, and anything else you own with old upholstery.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

I tried to connect dual monitors (win 8.1, displayport to TV and oldstyle monitor cable to pc monitor) and my PC poo poo the bed in a serious way and I'm afraid to try it again without like downloading some software or something. Any help?

What actually happened? If you have a graphics card, do you have the software associated with it? For example, Geforce Experience or the aptly named Radeon Software?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

I don't think I have a graphics card on this PC

It's probably an issue with the resolutions being different. I'm assuming you have the TV as the primary, then a smaller monitor that you're trying to use as an extended display? And the TV is way higher resolution than the smaller? If you make the lower res monitor your primary, then duplicate rather than extend the displays, you should at least be able to verify if that's the issue.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

McCracAttack posted:

The brown stuff is rust ya ding-dong.

Am I responding to a troll here? Y'all would tell me if I was, right?

The obvious flaw in the sounding rod theory is that the object in question is only an inch long. I mean, what's even the point if you only go one inch?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

2) I went to a garden store and a child (like, a high school student) carried a 40-pound bag of topsoil across the parking lot for me because I am an arthritic old lady (I did not request this service, and in fact can carry 40 pounds easily, if that matters). Should I have tipped him? I’m not quite used to having children look at my white hair and do things for me yet.

If it was a corporate sort of store, like a Lowes or Walmart, they would fire him if he got caught taking tips. They probably also underpay him, though, so attempting to tip a worker at such a store places them in a bad position. They probably want and would appreciate the money, but they also probably want and need their job. If you're going to do it, then don't be weird about it and make a big show of trying to offer him the money, slip it to him as quickly and as subtly as possible. But unless you're going to offer a fairly substantial amount, just don't bother.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

ok i need a bit of advice.

i was travelling for work and got covid. i've been isolating in a hotel room ever since i tested positive. my hotel is kicking me out tomorrow (its all booked up) so i have to switch to a different hotel, but i have several hours between check-out of the old place and check-in of the new place. pretty sure i'm still positive (i'm waiting for some more tests to be delivered this evening). also the next hotel is in a different part of town and i have several piece of gear i have to move along with myself

whats the best way to deal with this without infecting other people? i'm going to need to hire some kind of ride to get me and my stuff there so i was thinking i'd just wear an n95 and hope for the best, and during the time when i don't have a room i guess i could walk to a nearby park or lake michigan (im in chicago) and just try to stay away from others? what would you do?

If you want to completely avoid being in enclosed spaces with other people, could you rent a scooter/bike via app (if Chicago has those), ride that to a rental car place or something like a Zipcar location, then pick up a rental for a day to move your poo poo without needing to get into a taxi/Uber?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience with automatic speech to text transcription services? I teach a yearbook class, and I was able to get them some pretty legit podcasting equipment at the end of the previous school year. They loved that poo poo. We only had the last week or so of class before summer to mess with it, but they figured out how to run the sound board, recorded a couple of shows, and one of them even started working with audio editing software to produce listenable episodes.

However, they are using a blend of primarily Spanish with some English. I, dumb gringo teacher man, don't speak enough Spanish to adequately comprehend their episodes. They want to talk about stuff like relationships, which is great. They know I know enough that they typically won't cross any lines, and I largely trust them to be reasonable, but they're 16-18 year old kids. If we're going to publish something for public consumption, I'd like to be able to have a tool to look over their work.

Plus, having a transcription of the podcast would be a nice thing to offer in general. It doesn't necessarily have to be a free service, but I also am not going to be making any money out of this, so I wouldn't want to spend more than a fairly nominal amount for a paid service. Accuracy wouldn't have to be perfect, just decent. It would need to be able to handle both Spanish and English. Any recommendations?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

From a med school book of my Mom's

Somehow the bug in the ear manages to not be the only disturbing thing about this photo

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Word of advice, if you make an appointment with a pcp about it, you should take the initiative and use debrox drops for a week prior to the appointment, because if it's just wax buildup, they will want you to do that before they give you an earnema, so you might be able to get it in one visit. That's IF it's wax.

In fact sometimes a week of debrox will do the trick on its own.

Signed, someone with very waxy ears

I briefly went nearly deaf in one ear due to wax, and went down the waxy ear self-care rabbit hole. I did debrox and water flushes, which did work eventually, but after that whole ordeal I bought one of those BeBird endoscopes. It's a tiny, clear plastic spoon with an LED light and a camera on it, sends the footage to your phone. They're about 25 bucks and will, at the very least, give you a pretty good idea immediately if its wax or not.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Killingyouguy! posted:

I've never owned a car and certainly never bought one. Why are there "dealerships"? Why doesn't Ford just run their own stores directly? Why can't one just order a Ford directly from Ford? Or can you

In a lot of places in the US, it’s illegal for car companies to sell directly to consumers without a middleman. This is presumably because the people that own car dealerships tend to be wealthy and lobby their local and state government to protect their business interests.

This is why you have Tesla “showrooms” rather than stores in many places. Ford’s CEO recently announced that dealerships were parasitic and worthless and that he wanted to start selling directly to consumers.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/ford-ceo-wants-future-of-online-sales-fixed-car-prices/

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I heard he got clowned by someone in the UK but that was mostly a matter of picking the wrong battles and not knowing his audience with going on about anti-abortion bullshit, not getting there isn’t nearly as much appetite for that in the UK as there is in like Tennessee

He just clowned himself in that interview. The interviewer was a well known British conservative that started to toss him some softball questions along the lines of “liberals say that you’re this and this and believe this, how would you respond to these claims?” Shapiro immediately freaked out and accused the interviewer of being a liberal and ended the interview.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

People online often joke about the "ring of fire" / spicy butthole stuff after eating spicy food, or the jokes about chipotle or taco bell giving them the shits, but how common actually is it? I've never experienced this in my life and never heard anyone mention it IRL.
Is it a genetic thing where only certain (probably very white) people get it?

I eat a lot of stupid hot stuff because I'm an idiot and also I enjoy it. When I was younger, I suffered basically zero consequences. As I have aged, however, the consequences have grown.

I don't think you'll ever see any serious reaction to Taco Bell or Chipotle style stuff due to spiciness. You might poo poo your guts out after eating Chipotle because they didn't wash their lettuce or whatever and you ate someone else's poo poo, though.

If you eat some truly spicy stuff, like habanero on the lower end, the best way I can describe it is that you can feel it going through your intestines. I'm sure someone will explain that this is impossible, but you can really just sense that there's something going through your guts that shouldn't be there. I remember once after eating an absolutely absurd phall, whatever the gently caress was happening woke me up in the middle of the night. It wasn't pain, exactly, it was just... the feeling of your body trying to figure out what the hell to do with all of that capsaicin, I guess. It felt almost more like a cramp than anything burning.

Then when you are actually ready to poo poo (or even slightly before that), your body doesn't give you a lot of choice. With a normal poo poo, you get some degree of control. With a real spicy poo poo, you either comply quickly or you start to get some real warnings. If I try to resist, I'll get full body goosebumps and turn pale, like I've just seen a ghost. Perhaps the ghost of my own dignity if I don't get to the goddamned toilet ASAP. There is a legitimate burning feeling, too, although it isn't really on the butthole itself. I guess it exists primarily in the final holding chamber (rectum?). There is instant relief the moment the waste is gone, too. It doesn't linger like the capsaicin burn when eating.

Anyway, others may have different experiences. I have to emphasize that it takes something pretty out there to trigger this kind of reaction. Taco Bell fire sauce doesn't even register on the scale.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I found some of these little slides of works of art. Anyone know what sort of machine was used to view or display these?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dysgenesis posted:

Oh my god.

I'm going to retire now.

I mean, I'm almost 40. My parents never used these, and they're clearly labeled 2006, which is hardly ancient. I just somehow missed this whole thing.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions on how to start a fire using regular fire wood (stuff you buy at the supermarket) as opposed to a Duralog? Duralogs are a bit expensive even when on sale, and it seems that you need 2-3 to really get the place warm.

Right by the duralogs, the store should have fire starters made to ignite wood easily.

If your fireplace is big enough, you could also get a little chimney starter and use paper. You’d find those in the grilling area of any hardware store or Walmart type store, looks like a metal cylinder with a handle.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EricBauman posted:

whereas England has ??? Alfred of Wessex?

I've actually been curious about this, what is the British perception of Alfred of Wessex? He seems like the clearest and closest analogue to the American idealized founders. Does he get treated in any way like that in internal educational propaganda?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Extra row of tits posted:

Anyone dealing with acid reflux? I’m getting it at random and it’s driving me crazy, I’ve been trying to eliminate things from my diet one by one but am not having at luck.

Have you tried omeprazole? Prilosec. I started getting it (acid reflux) from I guess drinking too much coffee, but everything causes it and once it started for me, it seemed like there was no solution. But omeprazole is cheap, otc, and basically immediately solves the problem

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Does anyone know or have links to previous SA US Gun legislation rights threads? I realized many of them didn't go the right direction and were closed but I'd like to review those arguments.

This sounds like a horrific idea. Why would you do this to yourself? Just make a new post in Debate & Discussion. Explain the circumstances requiring you to review the arguments. Ask the question that you clearly are actually intending to ask but for some reason don't ask here. The thread will rapidly degenerate into poo poo, but you will get people explaining in detail every aspect of the argument and its historical background. If it gets gassed or something, OK. The first few pages of posts will be genuinely informed and thoughtful statements about your question. Just don't read page 12 or whatever. Or, you know, ask your loving actual question here and skip that.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

you could ask hyper-partisans to get into a flame war over their own present-day interpretations of those events?"

Are you familiar with the basic concept of the SomethingAwful Debate and Discussion forum?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Of course. You put it best yourself:

Obviously, because any gun debate degenerates quickly. You've got some weird thing going here, I'm not sure what to make of your "primary source" terminology or your "present-day" phrasing. Not sure that anyone is interested in engaging with whatever bizarre fetish you're promoting.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Leave posted:

What is a hermetic seal?

Marine mammal that values privacy and solitude above all else!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does anyone recognize these collapsible milk crates and have any idea where to get them

Grocery stores use them for produce. If you know anyone that works at a grocery store, you could probably bribe them to steal a few for you. You could also cruise around the back side of the local Walmart type stores, they might put them out behind the store by the loading dock wrapped up in plastic on pallets. If you spot a pallet like that, you could sneak up and steal some. Bring a small knife to cut the plastic, and don’t park in range of the cameras on the building. Some stores have a big cage in the back lot to prevent this kind of theft, they stash those pallets of crates behind a gate.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

Oh no, the one of these things I don't have has the thing I need. Well I'm sure one will go on sale and I'll impulse buy it eventually.

FWIW, they are actually currently on sale for 20 bucks (normally 30). They go on sale pretty regularly, though.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

joffrey doesn't quite work because he has immense power. this is more, like, someone who is really just an average person who thinks they are the greatest and deserve everything.

Bender from Futurama mostly fits

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I run a yearbook/photography class for a school. My employer has restricted any school devices from engaging with USB drives. I typically back up all photos taken to a cloud based service, Google Drive, and to an external USB hard drive. My storage on Google Drive appears to be unlimited, but I don't know if that will always be the case, and I feel like I'm definitely pushing the limits of what might seem reasonable. I'm up to a terabyte of images.

I can no longer transfer images from my cameras to my laptop to my external drive. I can move the images from the cameras to the laptop, but the laptop won't interact with the external drive. I still want to backup images to the external drive. What's my best option here? I could purchase a personal device to act as a transfer hub, but what would be the cheapest device? I'm not going to do it on my home PC, because I don't want to bring home a bunch of random cameras and dump photos onto it, then upload them. Or, alternately, I'm not going to download photos that I uploaded onto the school Google Drive and see what Spectrum thinks of me downloading and moving hundreds of gigabytes of images. Are there any obvious solutions I'm missing? I have a camera with significant storage capacity on its CFExpress Type B card, I guess I could just dump photos onto that (the work computer is OK with being plugged into the camera), then put that card into a reader, transfer it to my home computer, then transfer the images to the external drive. But the fact that this appears to be the simplest option seems crazy!

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 5, 2023

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

To clarify, are your laptop and the "work computer" here the same thing? Can you bring it home with you?
You can get a a "Network-Attached Storage" box for your home with a harddrive or two inside so you can just transfer files to it over the local wifi.

You might also be able to just plug the usb drive into your home PC and share it over the local network, then on your work laptop just drag-and-drop all the stuff into the network drive that shows up in windows explorer.

Yes to both initial questions. Thanks, I think either of those would work!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Why does my milk go bad so fast? It always turns sour several days before its sell by date. I don't have milk every day, just use it 1/4 cup at a time for recipes and such, every so often a bowl of cereal.

In addition to the other advice, this could indicate a problem with your local grocery store or their suppliers. Is the milk stored behind glass doors that have their back to the interior of the cooler? If so, when you open the doors, do you get a whiff of rotten odors? That could be a sign of poor cleaning practices, which could also indicate a carelessness for things like proper storage temperatures or problems with rotation. An issue with the supplier is probably less likely, but worth considering if the others don’t make sense. Have you tried buying milk from another brand to see if they have the same problem?

Edit: and if the milk is displayed in open faced cases that don’t have a back access to the cooler, it could mean that the stockers are putting pallets of milk out on the sales floor to stock the display cases, but being careless with how long they sit out

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

but people in the 1700s weren't doing that whole cover-your-pan-in-oil-and-stick-it-in-the-oven thing, their pans were just naturally seasoned from use by the cooking oils they used in food. and the pans still worked fine back then
so there's gotta be more than that

Why would you figure that cast iron pans in the past wouldn’t be intentionally seasoned just like we do today?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

what's the biggest reason linux hasn't become more mainstream at this point? does it still have a lot of compatibility issues? no office/ms stuff?

probably not a small question, but...i'm curious now. it seems safe for like...90% of use cases?

It's fine until you try to plug in your generic USB device that would just work on any random Windows system and have to spend 4 hours researching how to make that poo poo run on the "user friendly" version of Linux you have.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Here's a stupid question:
like I get what they're referencing but I'm not really sure what the "phenomenons" to either of these things are.

Some things to consider on this topic - theaters are currently tenuously recovering from having a real bad moment with the pandemic. Barbie in particular is a mega huge success for them, kind of unexpectedly. This is in a way compounded by the likely drought of any movies coming down the pipeline due to the strike. It’s just a weird moment for the entire theater business.

The try it in a small town thing is also a sort of pivotal moment in some ways for country music, which is trying to decide if it’s for MAGA racists or something more inclusive.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DildenAnders posted:

Is there a magic thread? If not, I'm very new, and very casual to MTG (only really commander) and been playing with my friends for a while now. I bought the Ghired (Green, Red, White) pre-constructed deck, and it's fun, but not even remotely competitive with most of my friend's decks. I don't really know enough to build a new deck of my own and don't feel like commiting the time required to do so. Could anyone recommend another pre-constructed deck I could buy that would mix and match well with my current deck? I'd like to keep it broadly similar because again, I'm very new and still learning the game.

There are various Magic threads, but it looks like there's actually a Commander specific thread in the trad games forum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3988784

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Grassy Knowles posted:

Not saying thats their entire purpose

Functionality aside, they're also one of the few pieces of jewelry that can be worn with a suit and still be considered "conservative." You can do a watch, which nobody will likely think twice about, even if it is particularly expensive or flashy. Then there's the tie bar, which again will not necessarily attract much attention, but is somewhat practical and can be matched to your watch or whatever. Anything beyond that starts to get into flamboyant or outlandish, like cuff links and lapel pins.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

what year do you think this is

I wasn't much under the impression that that mattered when considering, as I said in my previous post, what was considered conservative. By its very nature, conservative fashion is slow to adopt changes. Formal menswear seems to be particularly ossified, with extremely small changes happening over extremely long periods of time.

Has there been some sea change that I've missed? I see people in suits every day (in the education field, if it matters), and I can't remember the last cuff link I saw. Anyone wearing one would definitely be making a fashion statement, hence the term flamboyant. Lapel pins are for politicians trying to make statements in bad taste. What other jewelry options are there in a suit? Maybe it's different if you're an investment banker or something, I wouldn't know, but the standard business suit wearer is just some schlub in a uniform.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Grassy Knowles posted:

In tyool 2023 i see vanishingly few careers where someone must wear a business suit which means the majority of people in such a suit are intending some form of flamboyance already

I mean, fair point, I guess. I suppose I work in a particular field where all of the low level managers wear low quality suits in an old-fashioned way, and the higher level managers wear higher quality suits with minimal flamboyance. So maybe this is just a misalignment of experience and perception.

Edit: But you know, I think I'll reiterate my point. I used to work retail and every random low level manager had a lovely suit. Maybe they didn't wear it every day like a Mad Men episode, but everyone has a crappy suit in their closet, and they all are going for a conservative look, not trying to do some GQ thing. I haven't noticed Men's Wearhouse going out of business. I think it is a real stretch to claim that everyone in a suit is going for a flamboyant look. I think you just aren't noticing all of the random dudes wearing basic rear end uniform suits with minimal ornamentation. Which circles back to the original point, that the tie bar is one of the only pieces of ornamentation that you'll find on the everyday-schlub suit wearer that won't attract too much attention or make too bold of a statement. And even that is relatively rare.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

the once or twice a decade I need to wear a suit somewhere. Cufflinks aren't some weird fancy pants bit of kit.

Said without a hint of irony

Earwicker posted:

i was half joking about the lapel pins just because literally every conservative politician wears one. but seriously, situations in which wearing cuff links or a lapel pin (without political significance) will attract negative attention in 2023 are extremely rare. like they might not be super common in every profession but its really hard to imagine anyone caring at all about someone else wearing one unless its particularly garish or something (which is true of any article of clothing)

But do you actually think that the regular suit wearer is trying to do flamboyant jewelry GQ stuff? The regular suit wearer is the shift manager at Walmart or the assistant manager at Applebee's. Or the assistant principal at your local school. None of these guys are trying to stand out, they bought a 200 dollar suit and that's that. They probably wouldn't be judged for wearing diamond cufflinks, but they certainly aren't doing that. They might have a tie bar. There are a ton of random dudes just wearing cheap suits as part of their work uniform, even in tyool 23. I'm surprised what I said has generated such controversy.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 25, 2023