Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I guess it's clear that #6 and #1 (the streetcar conspiracy and the gulf of Tonkin incident) really happened, but were there conspiracy theories at the time that the government would fake an attack or that General Motors was going to rip up all the streetcars? That's what I mean – cases where a specific conspiracy theory was shown to be correct.

The long and the short of it is that the internet wasn't around for much of our history. It's a new medium that allows people from every corner of the world to share their questions and/or confirmation bias.

Iraq and WMD/Al Queada is the most recent full on conspiracy theory I can think of that was pretty much validated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

razz posted:

I have a mini-fridge but I don't need the freezer part because I have a big chest freezer. So the freezer part is just taking up valuable fridge space.

Can I somehow remove the little freezer section without screwing the whole thing up? The "freezer" isn't a separate sealed part, it's just a metal shelf kind of hanging from the top, and it's completely open on the back and has a little door on the front that just closes via a spring. This makes me think I can just remove the "freezer" and the fridge will still just work fine. Am I right in assuming that the only reason the mini-fridge even HAS a freezer is because that's the coldest part of the fridge? There is a tube that comes up from the bottom of the fridge and terminates inside of the "freezer".

It's pretty much identical to this one, the freezer being the little compartment on the top right. On my fridge the temparature dial is on the other side, not next to the freezer.

I'm not 100% on your particular model but most of those fridges the freezer is the actual cooling element. It's just a freezer because things are closer to or contained within it.

So yes, you'll probably mess up your fridge and maybe yourself because IIRC the stuff used for cooling is pretty toxic.

Cursory search says it isn't all that toxic but probably not stuff you want to be dealing with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

randyest posted:

In short: do what you want with the shelves / enclosures, don't break pipes, deal with it always being colder in the "freezer" area, ignore CEB always and forever.

The "shelf" for the freezer is usually the cooling element in those types of fridges. If it's not easily removed it probably is that type.

"Do what you want and don't break poo poo" is probably in the manual though, so I'd go with that option.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Grundulum posted:

How can I change my hours of peak productivity? Right now I feel like I'm most focused between noon and 9pm, which would be great except that I typically spend 4 or more of those hours doing things that can only be done then but aren't work-related (picking up kids, second job, etc.). It would be super if I could change my peak hours to 9-6, or if I could figure out a way to get into that mindset whenever I want.

Wake up earlier and do something productive.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Grundulum posted:

Thanks for the quick responses. I figured it might come to sleep, in which case the answer would seem to be "get more" rather than changing the schedule of what I do get. I'm already awake for several hours before I'm fully in gear, so getting up earlier isn't really an option. Guess I'll start cutting out the nighttime attempts at productivity (and associated caffeine intake) in favor of going to bed earlier!

"Getting in gear" earlier was what I was suggesting. It's not easy but it may be the solution. I tried the go to sleep earlier thing and it just made it worse.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

ThatsSoNotPLUR posted:

I was imagining I would stay on the lease and have a sublettor, but does it make more sense to actually take off my name? Should I offer my part of the security deposit?

Definitely get your name off the lease, if you can. If they destroy the place, stop paying rent, vacate without proper notice, etc, etc you are on the hook. No matter what your agreement with the other people is.

Being burned on lease/rental arrangements is extremely common.

That said, 3 months is more than enough notice and it sounds like it wouldn't be too much of a burden on them especially if you are willing to help.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Seriously, how crazy is it for people to have meow conversations with their cat? I understand people do babble towards animals and it can be funny sometimes but when someone is actually saying 'meow' to a cat multiple times on a daily basis, does that make them crazy?

To you, nucking futs.

To a pet owner/lover, not at all.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Hoops posted:

Is there any special reason iTunes updates so often? It seems like every three weeks or so. I don't know any other piece of software that needs so much updating.

On windows? I noticed that long ago and steered clear of it ever since because it seemed like really lovely software. My guess was that it's not running in their usually homogeneous environment so they had to continually update it to keep up with Windows updates.

Which was weird because you think they would have strived to make it as awesome as possible to attract people to the IOS/OSX platforms.

My question, why can't chrome and flash seem to get along? I'm assuming one or the other is at fault but I haven't seen anything definitive on who or why.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

tvb posted:

Where can I do large format scanning that isn't stupidly expensive? I just want to scan some newspaper articles that won't fit in my home scanner, but the only place I can find that does it is FedEx Kinko's, where they charge $3.99(!) per square foot. That seems outrageously expensive for a process that depletes zero resources, requires zero staff support and takes less than five minutes.

A decent digital camera in a fixed position and good lighting has worked well for me. For photos I think it's better, but I have a cheap AIO printer/scanner.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looks like a commercial smoke detector to me.

Commercial "All in one" kind of thing most likely. Motion (for the alarm/heating/cooling), fire, etc.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
MHL is just HDMI+USB right?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Wagonburner posted:

Careful if you're dealing with a Samsung. I think they may call theirs mhl, and it is a micro usb jack but they've gone and done something proprietary, you'll need to buy a samsung brand adapter.

edit: I guess it mentions that + more info in your linked wiki article.

Thanks for pointing that out. That's actually the device I am looking to buy for so you saved me a headache.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Ciaphas posted:

From the media device discussion earlier, I had a Logitech Revue a while back that was great for streaming services but sucked absolute rear end at playing material from my network drive. Does anyone have any experience with the WD TV Live Streaming HD and playing network media from a Windows/Samba share or other network drive? The advertising says it'll play virtually any format, but so did the advertising for the Revue :v:

Roku player with Plex.

Directly streaming via Samba/Share has never worked that great for me.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

b0nes posted:

How come whenever you apply for any government assistance or aid they want you to list the people that live with you in the house? Then they want their assets? The people I live with are not far off from the financial situation i'm in so I don't see how their incomes come into play. I get little to no support from them. I just live here.

Unfortunately it's the "welfare queens" myth that makes that possible.

Actual student aid fraud is so minuscule it's hilarious they even have a rule for it.

Koivunen posted:

I'm too scared to go and talk to them ...

Expect nothing to change, no mater where you are. You're a neighbor, let them know in a polite way that it's a problem for you.

You won't because: "It's full of really trashy people. At any given time there are six to ten kids and adults on the front porch, their lawn is littered with cigarettes, and all the adults to is yell at their kids as they play in the street."

Make better buying decisions, that's your solution.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

KillHour posted:

Just as a rough guess (like within an order of magnitude), how much does it cost to raise the roof on a house?

ThatPazuzu posted:

Honestly, I think you'll just have to go around and get some estimates.

Then add ~20-50% to the most expensive one, and be prepared to come out of pocket for more.

There's so many hidden costs when altering the structure of a house, especially an older home. If you don't know a knowledgeable local friend or family member who can help you through the process it's probably not worth it.

The guy lifting his whole house was a good example, not because of the project being the same but for the breakdown of costs. He was $8k in before a single thing was done to the home (learning a $3k lesson just to start).

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Xenoborg posted:

I've never understood why gas prices such a big deal in the US, both political and to the average person. I pay more for food than I do gas, I pay more for utilities, I pay more for my phone/internet, and I pay many more times for rent. You never heard people talking about these prices, but if gas goes up 10 cents, you had better bet it will be on the news and people will complain about it even if its just costing them a few dollars a week. Especially since gas in every other country is several times more expansive.

To add to other theories I think it's a lasting effect of the 70's oil crisis. Our almighty nation was virtually powerless against foreign powers over oil. There was a direct cause and effect that was a serious pain at a time when there were still a lot of individual smaller petroleum reliant businesses, and the US was built out in an cheap energy time, much unlike most other nations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Powered Descent posted:

On the topic of rental cars, be advised that at most places you need a credit card -- for some reason a debit card will NOT work for this, no matter how much money is in the account. (I learned this one the hard way.)

I wouldn't say "most" but it's very dependent on specifics of the company policy. Definitely a "call ahead and get the specifics" type of thing.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

john mayer posted:

Can someone just reassure me that I don't have rice stuck in my wisdom tooth socket? I had them all extracted five days ago, so I am pretty sure it is impossible to lose a grain of rice back there but I am also super squeamish about it. :(

It's just the healing process. To your tongue everything feels huge and foreign after extraction.

It's probably a little flap of healing gum that will drive you insane if you let it.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
How come you can't ever seem to back out as you pulled into a parking space? Is it perception and your mechanics working differently, or is it something else?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Thanatosian posted:

I'm not sure what other thread to ask about this in, so... Is there a good way to receive collect calls over an existing VOIP system without having to have a new number?

Barring that, what is a good service to use to receive collect calls through an existing VOIP system even if you do have to give out a new number just for that?

1800-collect comes to mind. I don't think there's an "easy" (seamless) way to do it with pretty much any voip provider. Most offer 8XX numbers for reasonable rates if it's a common thing.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

gradenko_2000 posted:

Setting aside politics and radioactivity, could detonating nuclear weapons to throw up a bunch of dust into the atmosphere and reduce sunlight be a way to combat global warming, or does the environment not work like that?

I'm only using nukes as an example because similar means of putting up tons of dust into the atmosphere, such as a volcanic eruption, can't really be triggered on demand.

Even if there was a really, really good chance of that working whoever initiates it is running a single pass/fail experiment on the whole of life on earth.

Even the best scientist(s) in the world have no clue what the exact unintended consequences of something like that would be. The amount of variability involved is probably near infinity.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Thanatosian posted:

In my experience, the general rule of thumb is that if you have a need for a function, it exists in Excel. If you think it doesn't, you are probably wrong.

I had to learn that the hard way. I basically rewrote the function library in excel with vba/macros when I started with it until some guy was like: "Dude, why are you doing this? Just go here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/excel-functions-by-category-HP010342656.aspx "

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Is there a site that has a (seemingly) unbiased breakdown of the key evidence in the Amanda Knox case? Everything I can find kind of glosses over key facts or only tells one side of the story. Basically I'd like to see the evidence side by side instead of only the prosecution or defenses side of the story by itself.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Printer driver protip:

Plug in the printer via USB and then add the printer manually via control panel>printers>add. Pick local device and there will be a USB port option. Then select a printer close to the type you have like HP officejet 7500 if you have an HP OJ 8500.

I can't guarantee it will work with all printers/models because who knows what they do now in the background but I have done that for every printer I have installed for like ever.

You also won't get the advanced stuff that comes with the proper driver like photo quality, borderless printing, etc but it has always worked for me.

If you really want the driver(only) you can run the executable and then cancel out of the installation once it starts. There should be a folder in your temp directory that contains the expanded install data. Do the same above and instead of picking a printer from the list click on the have disk and go to that directory and there should be an .inf file (hopefully named something reasonable like epson[modelname].inf). Again, it may not work but I have done it in the past with quite a few printers.

YMMV but it's worth it in my opinion because even if you unselect the nonsense the base install is insane with most drivers.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
What's that website that has a deal a day with a limited quantity. Like they'd have a 1TB HDD (or other random thing) for really cheap but a limited quantity.

E: VV That's it, thanks!

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 20, 2014

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Rubies posted:

Try meh.com too, it's better. It was founded by some of the original woot guys after it got lovely when Amazon bought it. One of the main guys is a goon iirc and posts in the coupons subforum on SA.

Thanks, this is much more like the woot I was used to.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Anyone recall the name of that operating system some lunatic built?

I'm pretty sure it was a goldmined thread but I can't find it.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

syscall girl posted:

LosetheOS. He changed to SparrowOS and/or TempleOS at one point.

That's it! Thanks.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
There has to be an app that will restore all chrome windows and their positions/pages but I can't seem to find it.

Anyone know of something like that?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Penguissimo posted:

Chrome itself should do this if you go to Settings:On Startup and select "Continue where you left off"

That only does it for one browser window though. I have like 5-6 different pages on 3 monitors. I know when my system or chrome crashes it does the oops and 'restore' thing that works perfect I just can't seem to figure out how to mimic that.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Capt. Morgan posted:

It works fine for me...make sure your using the the drop down menu to exit chrome and not closing each window separately.

YAY! Thank you.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Methanar posted:

How do I cook eggs so that the white part is not raw or slimey and still have a runny yoke?

Poach them:

-Bring water to a low simmer (I go to boil then turn down so there is little bubbles/agitation)
-Crack egg into a small bowl that is wet (like run water into it and poor it out)
-Swirl the water around so there is a center area that will wrap the white around (I don't do this because I cook 3-4 at once)
-Gently put the egg in as close to the water as possible (or even dip the edge in)
-Cook for ~2:30-3:30 depending on your size and preference
-Using a slotted spoon remove and place on a paper towel

Pan fried:
-Heat very small nonstick pan to med-low
-Butter pan
-Crack egg into pan
-Cover and cook on one side for ~4minutes

E: I have heard about microwave poach but never tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Is there some way to automate car shopping? I have searched and can't seem to find something that just crawls google results or something like that.

I'm thinking there has to be someone who has done this since every other product out there has aggregation sites.