Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can't believe there's not an actual Sherlock thread.

It was messy but fun. The front half bolted along at a breakneck pace, jumping here and there like an excited puppy that was giddy to be back on the air. Then it all became personal and dull, like the Holmes extended family are the only people in the world, and nothing happens to anyone else. Sherlock traditionally solves crimes, they don't generally just involve everyone he knows, just to artificially keep the stakes high. Or would that just make the show too procedural?

Walrus dying noises were indeed hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love RDJ's Holmes, and will happily watch more because he's so fun.

I remember the first season of Sherlock had the same sort of 'broken east end piano' soundtrack as the RDJ films (presumably because development ran concurrent) and that went away when the series came back.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hmm, interestingly the next Sherlock is being advertised as the series finale. Series as in whole series? Or series as in season, though?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

nelson posted:

Is the Sherlock finale that is shown in theaters going to be the same as tonight's episode?

Yes, although the cinema has 'extras', which are probably some behind the scenes things.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tonight's Endeavour has put some serious money into its camera drone shots.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Good news everybody - yet another Sherlock Holmes adaptation is on the way!

Cast:

Will Ferrell as Sherlock Holmes
John C. Reilly as John Watson
Lauren Lapkus as Millie
Rob Brydon as Inspector Lestrade
Kelly Macdonald as Mrs. Hudson
Rebecca Hall as Dr. Grace Hart
Ralph Fiennes as Professor Moriarty
Hugh Laurie as Mycroft

It sounds stupid as hell but I bet it's still better than the last episode of Sherlock

Is this the one filming in London at the moment? My friend is an extra on a Will Ferrell film today.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Khablam posted:

That sounds loving awful.

I asked him earlier if it was a comedy and replied "apparently".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

Oh poo poo Peter Capaldi has left Doctor Who and every news outlet is already doing 'who will be the next doctor?'

As they have since 1966 when Hartnell left. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Prime Suspect
I, Claudius.
The original BBC House of Cards.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Westworld asks and answers those questions in a much better way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Big Taff Man posted:

This is the UK TV thread, please respect the rules and keep the chat focused on UK TV matters

Thanks ossifer, sorry ossifer. :jerkbag:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Big Taff Man posted:

Although with Robbie Coltrane still getting work theres hope for Rolf yet

Wait, what?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tsietisin posted:

And mentioning that then made me thing of the show "T-bag and the... " And led me watch episodes on YouTube for an hour.

I think it was the catchy end music that makes me remember it so well.

Which lead me to find out there's loads of episodes of Telebugs on Youtube, but seemingly not the later ones I desperately want to see again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Christ, I remember Telebugs but thought no-one else did

I use the theme tune on my work phone because it's loud and attention getting.

It was such a fun show for tiny little me. It's impressive that everyone was voiced by just two actors. I emailed Telemagination, the production company, several years ago when complete series DVDs of old kids tv shows were doing great business, but they said it wasn't popular enough for that. :saddowns:

I've also just seen that the production company used to be 5 minutes from my house. Hmm.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jesus christ, Piers Morgan interviewed Farage? Can one building hold that much toxic smugness?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, it'll be the last Broadchurch for a while (ever?), now that Chinball is taking over Doctor Who in 2018.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Michael Portillo's railway programme has somehow become my easy listening TV. Having it on in the background makes teatime much more pleasant.

Isn't it lovely? Train, nice foreign cities, Portillo wandering around in the loudest clashing clothing since Colin Baker, and a nice calming tone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

I've struggled with his American series. When he's visiting a small town in Croatia it's quaint and exotic, when he's visiting a small town in the Midwest I remember that I live there and cringe a little watching it all.

Well, you have to remember that it's not entirely meant for you. :shobon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jesus christ, Portillo. Purple jacket, yellow shirt, orange trousers. :stare:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God, SS-GB is the opposite of fun, interesting viewing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rondette posted:

That's still one of my most favourite bits of telly ever.

What's this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rondette posted:

https://youtu.be/4yaoiL5srGQ

Amstell destroys Noel's shtick.

He's definitely rattled there, yeah.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is Robert Sheehan hung irl

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've just started watching Ultraviolet again, after noticing it's on All4. It's been forever since I've seen it (possibly not long after original broadcast) and it's surprisingly holding together well despite being nearly 20 years old. Mobile phones are commonplace in it which is surprising.

Also, young Idris Elba :swoon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

I think we've reached peak BBC3

Roll up, roll up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Rihanna head had a plaster on her forehead because domestic violence is funny, apparently? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The greater good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

His weird hand thing is weird. Is that so he doesn't have to touch people?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

Terrible news everyone, Grotbags died.

Aww no :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Matinee posted:

Alan Partridge sending up the vacuity of the One Show is an excellent thing.

Goons: does anybody know of any recent fake interview comedies - totally scripted stuff like Knowing Me Knowing You and Man To Man with Dean Learner? It was always one of my favourite micro-genres but I'm not sure if there's even been a decent one since Dean Learner, and that was (gently caress) ten years ago. Anybody recall anything?

What was the music profiles thing with Matt Lucas and Walliams?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

Rock Profiles? That was closer to 20 years ago than 10 years ago so hardly "recent"

Oh god, I'm so old.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Gatis wrote the show. It's a passion project for him.

Edit: produced/shepherded it sorry. He didn't write it.

He didn't even do that, he's producing Queers, a series of shorts for BBC4, and I've just found out one of my friends wrote one. His only involvement is acting for Against the Law.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh hey, Gatiss returned in Game of Thrones this week.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nooooooot yeeeeeeeet. There's still time, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Popbitch was great, and I remember frequenting the boards regularly back in the day. Pretty sure I hooked up with 0898 once.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is Deal or No Deal still on? I assume not..? Last time I looked, it had become an incredibly weird spectacle full of code phrases and injokes I didn't understand.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The only one of RtH I caught was the celeb special with a few of Diversity on, including the tiny moppet. Lots of adorable not-swearing ("Oh fudge no!") and freaking out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh my god, Interceptor. Now there's a show that had vanished into my memory abyss.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Didn't the madman chasing guy in The Interceptor make really strange screeching noises all the time?

A bit, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pj9H6YJb7g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Christ, do not look at the photo of Ken Dodd on Wikipedia (I mean, you know, do. Because it's horrifying). It's from 10 years ago and he looks like a corpse then.