Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Handsome Dead posted:

Does anyone know if there's a minimum contract for additional channels on Sky? I want to get ESPN but I can't seem to find if I can get it month by month or if I have to get it like 12 months minimum. Sky's website is as unhelpful as you can imagine.

£10.99 a month, uncontracted, through Freeview - http://www.topuptv.com/viewing+packs/espn

e: oh poo poo there was another page :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Media Guardian spitting out sick burns against Daybreak and Breakfast http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/aug/31/overhauled-daybreak-bbc-breakfast

MediaGraun posted:

Daybreak gets a relaunch – but does BBC Breakfast need one too?

Next week, Daybreak will celebrate two momentous occasions as it marks not only two full years on air, but also unveils its third attempt to convince anyone to actually watch it. After the failure of Daybreak's initial launch, with its murky purples and berserk crack-of-dawn good cop/bad cop routines from Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley, and its subsequent taped-together stopgap period where everyone was content to daub yellow paint over everything and pretend that they were all still on GMTV, ITV is obviously hoping it will be third-time-lucky.

From Monday, Daybreak's new presenters will be Aled Jones and Lorraine Kelly. In addition, we're promised a new studio and a brand-new feel. ITV's director of television Peter Fincham seems to have been going out of his way to lower expectations of the relaunched show, but it certainly can't be any worse than what's gone before. Daybreak needs fixing. But then so does its breakfast TV rival on BBC1.

And at least Daybreak is doing something about it. The new hosting lineup doesn't exactly scream hard news, but Daybreak has already proved that it can't do hard news very well. Kelly and Jones are the sort of presenters you can imagine cooing at pictures of baby animals for two hours or modelling a succession of novelty jumpers knitted by viewers. All the signs are that Daybreak will become a haven for those seeking to be eased into each morning by a friendly face, a handful of gentle interviews and a surfeit of heartwarming human interest stories. Admittedly, that's not for everyone. But it's surely better than a furious Adrian Chiles.

And it's not as if the competition for breakfast viewers is that stiff – BBC Breakfast's move to Manchester appears to have hobbled it fatally, with no solution in sight. Such a busy show thrives on the quality of guests it can book, and the prospect of a four-hour schlep up a motorway to spend six minutes promoting a product at a bored interviewer seems to be putting people off.

More and more interviews now take place over a video link or in the form of pretaped junket clips– on the rare occasion that the sofa does get dusted off to accommodate a guest, it's for someone nobody really cares about. This morning, for example, guests included The One Show's Anita Rani (talking about her new BBC show) and Castaway's Ben Fogle (talking about his new book about all the animal shows he's made for the BBC). Earlier in the week it was Beverly Callard, talking about her role in an upcoming touring theatrical production of Little Voice. Even if it turns out to be the greatest touring theatrical version of Little Voice the country has ever seen, it's hard to see how Callard would have been booked had the show still been in London.

BBC Breakfast may improve soon — it only started broadcasting from Manchester in April, so many of its wrinkles could still be ironed out – but in the meantime the show is arguably holding on to its ratings lead by default, rather than brilliance.

And Daybreak could soon be in a position to challenge Breakfast's dominance. From next week it'll have a pair of personable guests, an agenda that isn't hellbent on providing half-baked hard news and a location that couldn't be more guest -friendly if it tried. With competition as weak as it is – where, for instance, is an effective third -party Big Breakfast-style show? — the only thing that Daybreak has to fear is its own ineptitude. Although let's be honest, this is Daybreak we're talking about. That's quite a realistic fear.

I kind of hope the new Daybreak will be less of a laughing stock because I feel bad for the people who work on it, they're nice people and it sucks that their show is bad.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Irisi posted:

What a sad and cheerless little individual he must be, to sit and count Smegs instead of gazing lovingly at the mountains of chocolate and pies and deliciousness on view. I just don't understand that sort of mentality.
Viewers are bloody weird though, they complain about everything. I used to read the ITV duty log on my lunch break when I worked there and some of the things are baffling. People think Corrie is a real thing and get very, very wound up about the X Factor.

Also I remember in the run up to the last general election a big interview with Gordon Brown getting shitloads of complaints from idiots who didn't understand political broadcast rules saying it was unfair to the tories, when David Cameron had been interviewed the week before in the same timeslot to the chagrin of nobody.

Although Dave Cameron is genuinely offensive though, you can't show close ups of gaping assholes at 6pm yet they let him on the news :psyduck:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

I'm finding this wartime farm programme strangely fascinating but I think it might just be because I enjoy watching people in old clothes romping around the countryside pissing around with antique, dangerous farming machinery.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Mowglis Haircut posted:

When the Discworld BBC series about the City Watch is made, he needs a part somewhere in there. He'd just fit right into Ankh-Morpork, as someone. Anyone!
Imagine how relentlessly terrifying he could be as Vetinari.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

sex pervert posted:

A new series of Russell Howard's Good News starts tonight.

A new series. A seventh series. Of Russell Howard's Good News.

:cripes:

sex pervert posted:

Shooting Stars has been cancelled? gently caress. I left for work feeling angry that that blonde haired manboy gobshite had got another television series. Now I've got in and you've made me even angrier. It's days like this that make me wish I had a spouse to beat.

Seriously. Shooting Stars ditched and a man who's kind of a bit funny cause he's all energetic and from Bristol and poo poo, actually there's not very much to him is there so here's a funny thing from youtube instead. gently caress OFF. gently caress.

:toot: gently caress you it's a pain in the arse to make and BBC Three commissioning has nothing whatsoever to do with BBC Two's commissioning who are responsible for binning Shooting Stars.

(disclaimer: my name is on the end of this programme)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

onoflalks posted:

Armstrong's hosting the week after Jo "my husband, eh? tuh" Brand, guests are professional brother-to-Giles Victoria Coren and ex-con ex-Telegraph owner Conrad "The Obstructor" Black
Holy poo poo Ian is going to be amazing.

Also as scheduled a guest host this series is David Miliband which should be equally ridiculous.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Metrication posted:

The Hour was excellent, but I thought the sets they used for Soho and the outside of the club were a bit dodgy.

Same here, the lighting for the scenes was too bright and harsh and it showed off the wooden-ness of the set design. Also Marnie's ridiculous pink kitchen was far too clean.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

ITV are rebranding in January. It's going to be "dynamic, shifting tone along with the content, reflecting and blending with the mood of different shows."

I think it looks a bit poo poo static but when all the colours are swooshing around or whatever it'll be great. Also bafflingly they've only just finished getting rid of all the LWT signs at Southbank and putting in current-branded ones (not to mention the luminous office monstrosity at MegaCity in Salford).

ITV: wasting money on signs since 1955

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Metrication posted:

Apparently everyone at ITV is having their desks removed and being given laptops and iPads as a replacement?

It actually looks nice though.

You mean the Workplace Refresh™! Yes everyone was/is being given macbooks and imacs, depending on how important you are. Because whichever consultancy firm were involved clearly got massive kickbacks from Apple! Although I can't really poo poo on it as I don't know how well it's gone because I haven't worked there since May.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Corrie, Emmerdale, X-Factor, I'm a Celeb, Downtown Abbey. We might mock them as crude, but they do bring in reasonable ad revenues. Their last statement to the city was a pre-tax profit of £167m.

They have made a bit of a swing back towards spending their budget on higher quality dramas, but I think they've found their reputation for low-brow is hurting their ability to attract new eyeballs.
ITV also makes a pile of money from their production company, ITV Studios, who make programmes for the BBC, Channel 4, 5 and various Sky channels; as well as their renting out their studio space at the London Television Studios and Granada/MegaCity. Which is something the BBC also do but won't after their stupid decision to sell off Television Centre.

ITV Interim Management Statement, 13/11/2012 posted:

· Total external revenues up 4% to £1,573m (2011: £1,515m)

· Non-NAR revenues up 15% at £730m (2011: £633m) driven by ITV Studios

· ITV Studios is trading strongly with total revenues up 20% to £498m (2011: £416m)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Doctor Chin posted:

The audience laughing on cue to crap visual CGI gags that were added in post-production was the cringe-inducing.
I'm not defending it (because it was terrible) but you can really easily play in things like that dumb shark pool through the EVS and key it in on a locked off shot so it would appear on the studio monitors for the audience.

technical babble words words words

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Mescal posted:

These are common because it's apparently illegal for the BBC to hire Americans.
What on earth are you talking about?

Comedy answer: Hugh Laurie.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

thehustler posted:

That wasn't the finale, that's next Wednesday
Whaaaaat holy poo poo that made me miserable. I just ended up drunkenly chain smoking and yelling at the telly going "NO HECTOR AND MARNIE WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?" followed by "NO RANDALL BE NICE TO LIX WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" and "NOOOO BEL HELP FREDDIE AAAAAAAA"; it was deeply distressing however the many ales probably helped it be so relentlessly upsetting.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Most of this is correct but,

Testro posted:

They assume that everyone on Jeremy Kyle is incoherent and has anger issues, but doesn't think for a minute that someone from the production team is plying them with alcohol
This doesn't happen and there is absolutely no way you'd get away with it, the contributors would sue/ofcom would fine the production company into oblivion.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Oh Dara, don't use your head to try and break the ESA test rover :ohdear:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Rebranding day! Wheeeeeee!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDuBEO9Mt3A

They're not entirely bad, and at least the news studio isn't the ghastly bumblebee pattern yellow and black any more. I particularly like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bdt6OuTVvU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

I just found out my friend Liam worked on Utopia and "spent ages trying to get that bloody spoon right". I now have to resist asking him about what's going to happen.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

A family goes on Britain's Got Talent. It's a father, mother, son, daughter and dog. The father says to the Simon, "We have a really amazing act. You should represent us."

Simon says, "Sorry, I don't represent family acts. They're a little too cute."

The mother says, "Sir, if you just see our act, we know you would want to represent us."

Simon says, "OK. OK. I'll take a look."

The father begins by taking off his shirt. The mother does the same with hers. Then the son does the same with his shirt. The daughter, not to be outdone, takes off her shirt. At last, all four family members stand before the agent, bare chested. Spelled out, in red paint and with two letters to each body, is the following:

L-E-T-S F-U-C-K

Meanwhile, the dog strolls to the end of the line, rolls onto his back and exposes his testicles. Written across each testicle, in red paint, is the following: !

"LETS gently caress!?" repeats Simon, confused. "What the hell does that mean?"

The family proceeds to show them. Slowly. Faster. Harder. Softer. On their backs. On their stomachs. To the accompaniment of a metronome. Free form. Old form. Using jelly. Now jam. On swings. While watching television. Now listening to Christian radio. While doing their taxes. While eating a light, nutritious snack. When they're finished, the dog barks with joy and wags his tail. All four family members raise their hands high and then, in unison, perform a deep Shakespearean bow, imaginary applause washing over them all.

For the longest time, Simon just sits in silence. Finally, he manages, "That's a hell of an act. What do you call it?"

And the father says, "The Aristocrats!"

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 22, 2013

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Well this sounds like it's going to be an relentlessly predictable 'elf and safety gorn mad laughter desert.

Televisual posted:

Studio filming has begun on The Wright Way, a new six-part sitcom for BBC One from writer Ben Elton.

Filming at dock10 in Salford’s MediaCityUK, The Wright Way stars David Haig, (The Thin Blue Line, Yes Prime Minister), as the fastidious manager of a local council's Health and Safety department. Wright relishes the rules and regulations he uses in his professional life and only wishes he could apply them to his private life, which is often chaotic.

The Wright Way was written by Ben Elton and is a Phil McIntyre Television production for BBC One. It was commissioned by BBC One controller Danny Cohen and former controller of comedy commissioning Cheryl Taylor.

It is being filmedin HQ2 at dock10, Salford, from January through until March, for transmission later in the year.

The BBC executive producer is Gregor Sharp, the executive producer for Phil McIntyre Television is Lucy Ansbro and the producer is Rohan Acharya.

Ben Elton says: "All my happiest television memories concern BBC comedy and in particular BBC sitcoms. It's an honour and a privilege to get the chance to be a part of that tradition again and I'm as excited today as I was when The Young Ones was commissioned 30 years ago.”

Danny "BBC Three" Cohen, Ben "The Establishment" Elton and Cheryl "Citizen Khan" Taylor*? Oh dear.

*Minor "if it's not poo poo" Disclaimer: She is also responsible for the commissioning of Spaced, Black Books and Gavin and Stacey.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Good news everyone, ITV have commissioned a second series of Splash!

Hey, hey you where are you going?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The food was nice though.

Classic Stockholm Syndrome.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Rarity posted:

BBC3 Executives: We made this channel and by God WE'LL KILL IT :black101:

I've met Zai Bennett and he was really nice but :suicide:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

3 pages of GIS before,

look at that tasty little guy :ohdear:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

I just caught up on Black Mirror and I loved it, although it is relentlessly creepy and the title sequence with that horrible bassy drone is fantastic for setting how strange and bleak it was.

This thing with the humming noise;

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

I know it's just a building and it's dumb to get sentimental about such things but BBC Television Centre ceases transmission operations today, with the BBC News Channel being the last broadcast, ending at the switchover to New Broadcasting House for the 1 O'Clock News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rKCdx1Dpog

I still think this is probably one of the stupidest decisions ever made in the history of the BBC and Mark 'Thommo' Thompson is an colossal arsehole sitting in his solid gold house in New York.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Yeah they've buggered getting political guests on Breakfast, and selling off studios that they would rent out to other production companies is madness and leads to the kind of oddity like the Graham Norton show, their Friday night major thing, being produced by ITV and recorded at The London Studios (owner: ITV). Just because it was a bit old doesn't mean it was beyond use, as proven by the new owners of the site who are planning to refurbish the TV studios and rent them out to... the BBC and others.

It jus seems immensely short sighted that a company who are supposed to make television would continue this madness of outsourcing everything and stripping away the facilities which provide them revenue.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

It's huge because newsgathering and broadcast are all together, plus now the World Service isn't in Bush House. Gonna be a noisy clusterfuck when something major breaks though I bet.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Metrication posted:

Is this available somewhere?

They did a big walkthrough showing off and pointing out where home & foreign are then surrounded by radio, online, television and world spanning out around them on the 1 o'clock news, which will be on iplayer eventually.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Possibly the best TV credit I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Speaking of youtube idiots, the a mate of mine in the Rude Tube team has made a trail that's surprisingly honest about how it is to work in television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mftwmInEQA