Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Trin Tragula posted:

Well, except our news culture is completely different. American news is driven by TV, so they have the Daily Show and Colbert. British news is driven by newspapers, so we have Private Eye.

The main difference is, i think that in the us the daily show for all its faults manages to go beyond laughing at politician said silly thing to get at the deeper issue, where as in the uk it'd just be politician said silly thing lol and move on, plus we tend to be far more averse to the sincerity that is present in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

marktheando posted:

Yeah the original idea of a more youth orientated BBC channel isn't a bad one, it's just that the shows they ended up making for it were, in fact, bad.

The trouble is that its incredibly hard to make decent cheap yoof tv, snog marry avoid is unironically one of the most amazing pieces of telly put out by bbc3 due to how much entertainment you can get out of it for it being so (relatively) cheap to make.

As much as we'd like to think we have great taste in this thread, bear in mind bbc3's target audience probably love family guy and jack whitehall. That said there was a lot of genuine dross and over-reliance on "poo poo out another documentary with sex in the title", it nearly reached channel 4 levels.

Its criminal we never got another series of the fades though.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Has anyone seen the new Linehan garbage on BBC 4, The Walshes? It's on iPlayer and I don't recommend it, at all.

It's dreadful, like everything he has done after father Ted, which I suspect Arthur Matthews did most of the good work on that.

The it crowd got by simply because it was about nerds and computers and the internet will lap up any old tripe about those subjects as long as they aren't made fun of directly. It was just as terrible though.

The walshes is like some relic from the 90s that wouldn't even be even notable then.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Squalitude posted:

What IS there to like about the BBC these days?

Their sport coverage is top notch, you might say how hard is that to gently caress up? you just point some cameras at it and film it?. Thank god itv don't have rights to show domestic football highlights anymore, good lord.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

or a prog on Channel 5 called "Gypsies Living on Benefits and Proud"?

Is that real? it reads like something off of a daily mail headline generator site.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Last time I looked at his twitter feed he was so far up his own arse, he honestly seemed to think calling his followers twonks or tweeps was a stroke of genius.

To be fair it made a certain subsection of twitter absolutely outraged so it kind of was.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty much agree with both suggestions again.

I still marvel how Gervais seems to have efficiently caused his fall from grace in such a small amount of time.

how exactly? he's still regularly in movies & would probably sell out doing tours standup and regularly pals around with seinfeld etc.

I think the internet echo-chamber has distorted your view of his "fall from grace" as it were. Unless something has happened since i last heard what he's up to, is he doing panto now?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Total Meatlove posted:

I don't think it will have been as engineered as that, but there does seem to be a bit more polish on things than in the first series. How you can hate it is beyond me, Nev's awesome.

The tea lady is amazing and her dreams of being a tea lady masseuse/massager/massage/masseuser/masseuser was brilliant.

Some of it looks pretty set up like the focus on ping pong tournaments and stuff but i cant blame them for wanting to spice up answering calls all day. I dont see how its that bad to be honest, it features a load of young people in an office and a larger than life boss, there's going to be a bit of banter. I know goons tend to detest that when its unironic for some reason but it could be much worse, i liked the lad with a stammer being given a chance even if it was for the cameras.

I guess they could have a series about quiet lads and ladies that answer phones and every once in a while cynically say something sarcastic and this thread might love it but i think the call centre is better than average for bbc3 because its not another pointless "look at them getting drunk! look at them!" show (those are weird in themselves because they are oddly prudish considering the subject matter), id imagine a ton of bbc3's target audience actually work in them.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Ddraig posted:

I got really, really loving annoyed when Simms, playing the Master, literally had a perfect plan to kill the doctor but the hack writers decided to use what was essentially We Do Believe in Fairies to win.

What the gently caress.

Why did you go to a show about an alien in a time machine looking for good writing?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

stickyfngrdboy posted:

to counter that, on next week's question time are piers morgan and joey barton

lol

because barton played for Newcastle for so long i forgot he has a really thick scouse accent, hopefully his time in france has diluted it, hopefully he namedrops brunel on the show like he did on twitter

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Akuma posted:

Good job thanks for letting us know how unattractive you find a person. Oh, and how annoying you find her voice. Any other women you find sexually unappealing?

Sarah Millican doesnt do anything for me sexually, i dont find her funny at all, her voice is horrible and i dont usually mind that accent.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

I'm not surprised, you haven't even met her and she's married

You don't know if i've met her or not paperhouse.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Have you met Rachel Riley? Because she's not married.

No and im not surprised she's not married, born in essex but supports man u? how could you trust a glory hunter.

Shameful behaviour.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Oh my god it's back.

The single worst TV show EVER commissioned has returned for a second series.

Ladies and children first into the shelters, because it's the second coming of all that is wrong.

Badults is back.

I couldn't remember what this was and i realised my mind must have subconsciously wiped all memory of this terrible show because it was that terrible

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Quite sad to hear a paddy power ad has been deemed "offensive" just because of a little bit of harmless banter :(

They have been in quite good form lately though and im sure there will be some good ads on from them during the world cup :3:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

itv 2 has "educating joey essex" and then "white chicks" so now i know what tv station they have on at guantanamo bay.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Paladinus posted:

It'll be Chuckle Brothers, mark my word.

Please no :(

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

thehustler posted:

Dude's in a heavy metal band. Maybe he's had some groupies.

This doesn't bode well for Dr Karl Kennedy...

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Paladinus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJGbQbdfNDU&t=206s
The signs are always there. But we're too blind to see them.

ahaha oh my god

Alexa chung: so what was the highlight
watkins: Kids!............and...women?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Guess who's back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3yI-cxDX_g

Call me a hipster but i don't like this chummy twitter-era barry scott i preferred his earlier more aggressive louder work.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 10, 2014

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Padje posted:

The Vanish 'social media' ads on the tele are worse. Joe Public (that's us! OUR CHANCE AT FAME) are invited to share their ONE WEIRD TIPs for stain removal online. But all the tips they show are people using the Vanish products as per the instructions on the packet. We're supposed to marvel at their ingenuity.

Of course the vanish ads are worse, they don't have barry scott in them!

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

DominoDancing posted:

Uh, how can someone NOT like Mel and Sue on Bake Off, they are so adorable! Anyway, not sure where the hate for Jordan comes from. His bakes weren't great, but so far I've never felt the need to wish death upon someone for that.

I liked when they seemed to gently caress off for a couple of years and now they are back with a vengeance because of bake off's success. Mel and sue are one of those odd anomalies of British entertainment where they've been around for seemingly forever, aren't that exceptional, haven't done much high profile stuff and yet they always pop up.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

I liked the bit where james may hate to categorically state he was not a nazi.

Pity clarkson didn't host it as he probably would have left it a bit more ambiguous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Does anyone remember that time in neighbours when harold bishop tried to impress the hot blonde from the wolf of wall street with his insane rap skills and it caused him to have a heart attack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OJ4OSyETNs

I do.