Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Using front page as a platform for my controversial opinion that I actually like Simon Amstell's acting in Grandma's House. Also, 'This is England '86' is the first UK drama I've looked forward to in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

meme posted:

How do you become a continuity announcer? I've always wondered this. And how does it work?

I miss the days when ITV would have the continuity announcer in video form. At Christmas, they'd even have a little tree up :3

Also, after finding out that Louis CK is the sole writer, editor, director and principal star of 'Louie' (which is far better than any of the UK comedy output of the last few years) which had a 13 episode first season and is set to come back 9 months after the first episode aired... British comedy really has no excuses anymore. 5 episodes for Pete versus Life? Seriously? I presumed there'd be at least the standard sixth episode given that there was no 'finale' feel to the last one at all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Flatscan posted:

If you think things are bad at the moment you've got a nasty surprise coming.

Nasty surprise? I'm not convinced going from the (at most) 3 shows I remotely care about to 2 is that bad a surprise. Also, which newspapers in this country am I supposed to listen to? The Guardian is a nice enough read, but I can't say I'm going to actually pay for the rot most of them will print.

There's plenty of people in the UK who'll write for next to nothing, I know a good amount myself (including award winning writers, not 'fresh out of uni' scrubs) and when I spoke to a BBC producer a few years ago he told me that pretty much anything I submitted to BBC3 would be given at least a pilot order due to the state of the channel. It's not just about budget, it's about what gets commissioned.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 12, 2010

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Adrianics posted:

I really like Russell Tovey, he's been very good in everything I've seen him in (History Boys, Being Human, Anually Retentive, His Dark Materials on stage). So really I'm not sure why I haven't watched that yet, must ammend!

I walked past him a few weeks ago and didn't realise it, my friend just said 'Oh that's the guy from Being Human', but I don't watch it. If only he'd said 'Thats the guy from Annually Retentive and Todd Margaret' then... well nothing would be different, I'd just have realised sooner I guess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Padje posted:

So what did you submit to him?

I managed to get involved in a niche project I knew was going nowhere, rather than using that as a launchpad to start something afresh. If only I'd written a third rate puppet show, I could be rolling in it by now ;)

(My comment wasn't supposed to come off as 'pfft, I am an infinitely better writer than these mugs' but simply the fact that only a few years ago BBC3 was in a state where they had very little in content coming their way and were crying out for people to present them with projects.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well 'Phone Shop' was as bad as I was expecting it to be. When you've got to deliver a series but only have 2 characters written, just duplicate one of them four times and hope nobody notices.

Naturally, my Facebook feed had this in it:

quote:

When man say him a ting....then him a ting yea! Phoneshop is class lol

(from someone who works in a retail phone shop. Hopefully the only person who liked it...)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry to dig this up from a few pages ago...

marktheando posted:

I've heard America doesn't have them. So that would explain why American celebrities always look lost when they appear.

Funnily enough, they tried to do a version of Have I Got News For You about this time last year for NBC, but it (unsurprisingly) never got picked up - http://www.theblacklistnyc.com/gotnews I never got the impression that Michael Ian Black or (the sadly recently departed) Greg Giraldo were particularly political, but I can imagine it have being funny. On NBC? I just couldn't see it gaining an audience.

I'm split 50/50 on Americans doing panel shows... I completely agree with you as how how lost even sharp comics look when they come over and do Buzzcocks or similar. I'll tend to watch specifically for them, and see them get a few words out the entire episode and not really get the references going around. It's a shame, because it's a format we do well but with, generally, terrible guests. With the right mix of both American and British people (e.g. it was evident for a long time that Peter Serafinowicz and Will Arnett got along even before Running Wilde, and it extends beyond those guys) and a British production for BBC2,4 or C4 there could be a really good show created. Other than that, I think it's a format that's dead on it's arse the way it's going.

I can't see it working on any of the American networks due to censorship, even Comedy Central who'll run things with bleeps but make everything too glossy. IFC, HBO, Showtime etc could develop something watchable under extremely low budgets and it could work, however.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tried watching the Stewart Francis DVD after being recommended it in work. Can't say I found what I saw of it to be that great. Fast burst jokes can be OK but they have to either be very clever/slightly surreal (like Steven Wright) or utterly groan worthy. Francis' material just sits in the middle and doesn't work amazingly well.

There's at least 20 of these 'just in time for Xmas' discs and none of them appear to hold a candle to Lee or Herrings efforts from earlier in the year. Al Murrays and Sean Locks seem alright, but nothing special, Boyles is the usual c-grade material interspersed with sometimes amusing audience participated call outs and while I'll give the rest a shot there's not many which make me think 'ooh this might be good.'

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Perfect Element posted:

How about the new Bill Bailey DVD? Anyone checked that out yet? I was pretty disappointed by Tinselworm, but he's had a few years since then to come up with new material, and hopefully will avoid making lame George Bush jokes this time.

Ah yeah forgot I watched that. I never made it through all of Tinselworm, it just wasn't hitting with me at all. Dandelion is better, but not classic Bailey to me. I think he absolutely peaked with Part Troll Been a fan ever since C4 aired a cut down version of Bewilderness in the 90s. Glad he's doing really well now, the audience for that show is huge, but there doesn't seem to be much progression between his shows now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Despite being a big Apple nerd, I'm not a fan of either countries Mac vs PC ads. The iPhone/iPod/iPad ones (after the first awful iPad one anyway) are far better, simply showing the product off. That's all you need to do with OSX, but they keep forcing this stupid, playground-esque battle on people.

Anyway, with all the Friends talk about I feel my public duty to pimp my thread for 'Episodes', which is written by David Crane of Friends and stars Matt Le Blanc. It's a BBC/Showtime collaboration, so it also has the awesome Tamsin Grier as well as her co-star from Green Wing, and the recent Dirk Gently - Stephen Mangan. It's also really, really good and it starts next Monday on BBC 2/HD.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Didn't realise Friedmans was the Catfish guys. It's far superior, I felt Catfish was a massive letdown that might've been interesting 15 years ago and if I'd never used the Internet before. My reaction was simply 'Is that it?', was hardly a shocking revelation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Both times I saw Herring he went into a twenty minute long unscripted ramble that probably only made sense to himself. Enjoyed both shows mind, and I like the fact they often shoot his DVDs at my local. Bit gutted I can't go tonight to see the new show, but am stuck in work all evening.

On a side note, did anyone else ever watch Satellite City ? I'm not sure it was ever shown out of Wales, but it was actually pretty funny. Wasn't a fan of the show Boyd Clack did recently, but my mother found it hilarious. I used to see him walking the streets a few years back. He looked a bit crazed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's some Round the Bend on YouTube, but don't watch it if you want it to remain awesome in your mind (it's really not good in hindsight, a shame because I loved it).

Im trying to persuade the Americans in the general TV thread to watch Shooting Stars, feel free to back me up. Last nights episode was hilarious.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I prefer the quiet z-listers to the smartarse ones who step all over the jokes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was 16 when Kevin and Perry came out, so I have fond memories. Commentary track was pretty funny too, and it kinda bugs me I lost that DVD.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Metrication posted:

As someone who doesn't have Sky, is Sky one regularly worth watching?

Not really. Sky Atlantic is pretty great though (I'm on Virgin so don't have it, but they have some of the best import shows going).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I'm sure when the show started off Simon was the more 'normal' of the one and you could agree with him more often. Since then he's become an insufferable dick to everyone around him, so much so that I actually prefered Will in the movie more to him (and I hated Will for pretty much the entire show).

Anyone notice that the cinematography was terrible? I'm not expecting oscar winning shots, but the framing was abysmal (or the projection at Cineworld was hosed), and one of the pans felt like it hadn't been rendered in FCP properly and jerked along something chronic.

Funny film otherwise, and at 75 minutes about the right length.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, it would've been better to drop the Carli thing completely before the film started, but still have the bust up with Jay (which I agree was good) just make it over something else. It's not a show like IASIP where one of the points is you're supposed to actively dislike the characters, with Inbetweeners I always felt you're supposed to be on their side, even if they make stupid mistakes and make you groan a bit. In the end Neil always comes across as the nicest one, but they even made him out to be a bit of a dick at the end of it.

As a side note, I don't think I mentioned this before but I'm friends with the guy who played Wolfie in the Series 2 episode where they all go to work experience. (He's credited under a different name so I went around saying "Christ, didn't that guy in Inbetweeners last night look like Dai?" for about 3 months). Anyway, we play in a covers band for charity once a year, so if you're bored and want to see the guy from Inbetweeners (and Peep Show, Dr. Who and a plethora of TV adverts including Fosters, Sainsbury's, Carphone Warehouse and Playstation) do his Freddie Mercury impression, click here and hit the link in the description to forward it to about 19 minutes in. He's a good guy and always does a wicked performance with us with only a single practise at most.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cloudchamber posted:

Glad I wasn't the only person who noticed this. I thought it was supposed to be some kind of joke the number of times Neil's head was awkwardly cut off by the top of the frame.

Yeah, that's what made me think it was a projection fault. I couldn't believe that they didn't pick that up while filming. The main issue was probably the fact that as TV is all shot in 1.85:1 these days, film crews feel they have to shoot wider in order to make it feel like a 'real movie'. These kind of productions don't gain anything from the extra width, and it makes framing characters that little bit harder.

Worst offender this year was probably that terrible Battle LA film. About 5 minutes of that needed to be in 2.35:1, the rest of it looked crap because of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just gonna drop a quick post here to recruit for a site I've written up that we've mainly talked about in the TV Couch Chat thread.

Main info is here , but to summarise well basically be running reviews of TV shows from the past couple of days, with a new edition each day. The feeds I use are pretty good for UK shows, so most things that are airing will be available for review.

If anyone here is interested in signing up, click the link which gives a breakdown and some images as well as provides the sign up link. Cheers!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

But there's so much crap to share!

I'm looking forward to writing up that Lee Nelson thing. No really.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Freaks and Geeks was on NBC, not cable. I don't trust this guy ;)

Reality: awesome :) I can see three people on the sign up queue, as soon as I can get to a real computer, I'll process the logins and get you on the mailouts etc. Welcome aboard!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ChuckDHead posted:

This could be interesting. I've been considering doing some writing of late, but the world doesn't need yet another blog about videogames, so I sort of shelved that. Do writers need to go using their real identities?

You sign up with a username, then you enter your real name (or a pseudonym) into your account section and that's what you're credited with.

My friend is in a similar boat to you, he said if I'd made it about video games then he'd be all over it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ChuckDHead posted:

Can you change the real/pseudonym later if you decide you want to "go public", as it were?

Yep, the lookup for the name is live on each review so if you change your name it'll reflect on anything written previously.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Going back a few years, that very same site also offered tickets to the US version of Have I Got News For You. I always wanted to see it due to Michael Ian Black's involvement, but I heard it wasn't great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Iannucci is working on Veep first, which will be an HBO equivalent of Thick of It starring Seinfeld lovely Julia Louis Dreyfuss.

Edit: that'll learn me not to walk away from a thread before replying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was dreading the return of Red Dwarf, and decided I wouldn't bother with episodes 2 or 3 after the 1st one confirmed my suspicions. From what I hear, they were even worse than the one I put myself through. Avoiding them wasn't too hard at least, and at least being buried on Dave means I probably won't hear about it too much and be tempted to watch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Usually when people talk about an hour of fanny on TV, they're referring to Hollyoaks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You're thinking about it too hard. They shoe horned pretty much every character they could from the film into the TV show whether they fit or not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I only ever watched the first episode of it, and it was quite simply one of the worst things I've ever sat through. However, I thought the single episode of Mongrels I tried (the first one, from what I can tell in the ep guide) was appalling and that gets raved about in here for some reason.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

incredible bear posted:

Popular opinion is that Gervais barely touched it, it's really unlike his TV output. If all of you Gervais haters have, then fine and good. But seriously, that film is one of the best (proper) British films in a long time.

I do mean to watch it at some point and I'm not a Gervais hater, but even from the trailer is painfully obvious that he wrote it. He has a very distinctive style that he's unable to shake.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I guess that was the final episode of the series for Grandma's House then? thetvdb.com only lists it as a 6 episode season again, and it felt like there was some closure.

Pretty much one of about 5 comedies I like that we produce these days, hope it comes back again next year.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm going to take a stab in the dark based solely on the advertising, but I'm guessing that Cardinal Burns is the worst show ever made?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big Brother starts in 20 minutes, where's the megathread?!!?!

(I only know because I had 5* on earlier for Gilmore Girls and Malcolm in the Middle reruns, I swear).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, C5 bought the rights because presumably it's cheap as all hell to produce and fills gargantuan hours of airspace.

C5 are pretty great at buying the rights to stuff which then slowly dies on the channel, both Home and Away and Neighbours live there now... I can't imagine their ratings approach anything like they used to be on BBC/ITV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tony Montana posted:

Yep, other terrible poo poo that people only watch here if they earn less than a set amount a year. I know that sounds to terribly arrogant, but it's just the truth.

Both of those shows used to be huge over here, airing twice daily (midday and early evening). Britain loves soap operas for reasons I can't comprehend, at least the Oz ones have nice weather so I quite enjoyed both those shows while I find Coronations St, Emmerdale and Eastenders depressing trash.

Most of what I know of Oz TV just seems to be remakes of shows we get here in the UK, so you have my commiserations. The redo of TV Burp was scarily close to the original, same set and I'd swear they'd used the same writers due to the way the gags worked.

I like anything The Chaser does and Micallef was funny back in the day, but I'm pretty out of touch with what else is big your side. I know of Outrageous Fortune and McCleods Daughters (or something like that) but haven't ever seen them. I don't think we've imported anything non-soap from you guys for years now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SeanBeansShako posted:

While we're on the subject, what do you Aussies think of those Fosters advertisements that are shown here?

In advance too, we're really really sorry. Advertising people in this country are mostly humourless reptiles.

One of my friends was in the first of those Fosters adverts. I see him in ads all the time (as well as having a lead part in Pete vs Life, a small part in Game of Thrones, Dr Who, Peep Show, Inbetweeners etc) and it really rubs home that there must be only about 8 people doing advert work over here. Most recent one I noticed him in is one of the Gumtree ads. Good to see him getting constant work now! I hope they didn't pay him in Fosters though, vile stuff.

Tony Montana posted:

Wow, it's really the weather? Sorry, but you guys are so starved for a series of days where it isn't grey and miserable watching a TV show about that sorta makes sense? Man..

Most British TV and film just looks grim. You just can't make this cursed island look a fun place to live. Nobody in these shows is ever happy, it's just gloom and doom. At least Neighbours has bright colours and people who are sometimes happy. This is enough to make me want to watch it sometimes.

I don't watch much British TV, for the majority it's just utter trash. 99% of what I watch is imported too.

quote:

Where we own is film. If you haven't seen Shine (1996) then find it and watch it and you'll understand what I mean.

Yeah I've always meant to watch that. I do like The Dish a lot, and I've been told various times I should check out The Castle. Just remembered I quite liked what I saw of 'Pizza' back years ago, I should try grab all those again.

I need to check out more NZ stuff too... 'Back of the Y' was great (and the film was fun too) and we brought over Randy Campbell when we made Balls of Steel. Didn't you guys do a version of that too?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

HoldYourFire posted:

Oh thank God, someone else who remembers this.

Yeah, I can't remember how we found out about it... my friend ordered it on VHS (and this was in like... 2001 or so) from NZ and sent me copies of the episodes on the tape. It was one messed up show, and it always saddened me that Randy Campbell never got the fame he deserved. Until he turned up on late night C4, and then... still didn't really get the fame he deserved.

Xachariah posted:

Isn't Round the Twist an Aussie show? You guys are fuuuuucked up.

I didn't realise at the time, but it took like 10 years for 4 seasons or so of that show and the cast changed loads. Was definitely one of my favourites growing up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

thexerox123 posted:

They do have Summer Heights High, though, that show was great.

Kinda got cancelled out by what a disappointment Angry Boys was though. Maybe the last couple of episodes redeemed it, but yeesh... that really didn't live up to expectations.

I would gladly watch a film of just Jonah though.

edit: Yes, Heart Break High was great too. The DVDs are slowly coming out (although using a different season order to the ones online so that's a bit confusing), so no more having to rely on dutch hard subbed VHS caps to relive my 90s youth TV watching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Steve McScene posted:

The Euros are excellent and bring the country together well imho.

E: You loving miserable oval office.

As long as the country is England. I love watching international football, but I have to switch to a non-UK feed for pre/post game analysis as somehow EVERYTHING has to be about England, regardless of whether they're playing, knocked out, didn't quality etc.

England haven't won jack poo poo in 50 years, give it a god damned rest.