Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Eh, the Star Swarm test shows even in the worst-case where each draw call causes very little GPU load, a dual core can nearly saturate a GTX980. Real games will bottleneck on the GPU long before they hit that much CPU load.

Of course it depends how much CPU time the game spends on other stuff but don't get too excited about multi-core scaling :v:

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Specifically DDR3L is 1.35v. They've been selling it for a while so you might be good.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

edit: wrong thread

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

I have no idea who that is but apparently they're worth 10 times more than AMD :unsmith:

They make FPGAs, chips that can be programmed at the hardware level rather than running software.

They're expensive but extremely useful for high-bandwidth/low-latency stuff - the G-Sync module uses an Altera FPGA to do the heavy lifting for example.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Embargo is up

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Remind me why we stopped soldering the heatspreader on? I have to think a dab of metallic solder would beat paste hands down, conductivity be damned.

Paste is cheaper, they still use solder on the higher margin LGA 2011 parts.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Intel are going ham with the Skylake-E socket :stare:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

There are no fees, iirc

VESA themselves don't charge any fees, but MPEG LA has patents covering aspects of DisplayPort and charges $0.20/unit to avoid any trouble.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Cost

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't see any mainstream OS using IOMMUs for isolation (--edit: outside virtualization, anyway). Is that Intel's intention, or just an assumption?

OSX uses IOMMU to completely isolate DMA peripherals since 10.8.2 (2012) provided the CPU supports it.

Windows 10 doesn't use IOMMU but it at least has a simple mitigation for DMA attacks - it just turns off DMA for newly connected devices when the screen is locked. Good enough :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

And boards dying, my z77 board starting failing to power up around the time I bought Skylake.

My P67 started struggling to cold-boot about a year ago, but to this day it always works on the second try. Guess I'm taking this 2500k to my grave :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rakeris posted:

So was thinking about putting together a PC with a Kaby Lake, and the mobo I was looking at might need a bios update and I don't have a spare skylake cpu. Anything I can do to get around that.

Some motherboards can update themselves from a USB stick even if there's no CPU installed, so check if your board is one of those. Asus calls it "USB BIOS Flashback" for example.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah TB3-over-copper is limited to just 2 meters. AFAIK there's no optical TB3 cables yet but if it's anything like TB2 they won't be cheap.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I wonder what it's actually going to hit.

I also wonder how much power the comparable Intel chips actually pull in realistic use-cases. It's easy to get them to max out their TDP in the tight-avx-loop-inferno workloads most reviewers use, but that's the CPU equivalent of only testing a GPU with FurMark.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SiSoft uses AVX512 where available, so that would fit with the rumours of Skylake-X bringing AVX512 to the HEDT chips. I don't see how else they'd get such a massive IPC bump over Broadwell.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ASRock Unveils the X299E-ITX/ac: Mini ITX + X299 + Quad-channel Memory

:eyepop:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it has a single pcie slot :ssh:

ASRock boards usually support PCI-E bifurcation, so it could theoretically support SLi with a bifurcated riser.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Speaking of PCI-E risers

:stare:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Skylake-X should be more impressive under AVX-512 workloads, but lol who gives a poo poo. Intel have been shipping full-rate AVX since Haswell and it's still barely utilized outside of HPC, it's going to be at least another 5 years from now before AVX-512 starts seeing non-HPC adoption.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

(Side note but lately I've been feeling that Cinebench is an increasingly irrelevant benchmark. It seems to bear no resemblance to real x264, x265, or Premiere anymore - the 1800X blows out the 6900K in the synthetic Cinebench but the 6900K wins all the real-world benchmarks. Maybe it's OK for comparing within an architectural family (eg Broadwell vs Skylake) but I don't think it's the least bit useful anymore for comparing (say) Ryzen and Broadwell.)

Technically Cinebench isn't a synthetic benchmark, it's just a standalone/crippled version of Cinema 4Ds internal renderer. Although I'll grant you that (1) it usually lags several versions behind C4D proper and (2) from my experience it seems like nobody actually uses C4D internal anymore. Nearly all of the C4D artists I encounter have moved on to third party GPU renderers like Redshift and Octane.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpoies2JcmI

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The NDA just dropped:

AnandTech (7800X, 7820X, 7900X)
GamersNexus (7900X)
Guru3D (7900X)
PCPerspective (7900X)
TechReport (7900X)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRgJ79TcCO0

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 19, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Edit: Whoa, if X299 mobos weren't so expensive then the 7800K looking like a fine value.

Seriously, these motherboard prices are crazy. Asus's cheapest X299 board costs more than the Crosshair VI, their most expensive AM4 board :stare:

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 19, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Beautiful Ninja posted:

BF1 has...questionable performance at times, particularly if you are using their piss poor DX12 render path. From the benchmarks I've seen a 7600k and 7700k run the game about the same.

never forget

DICE were the biggest advocate for PC low-level APIs originally, and then fell on their face trying to actually use one :allears:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Xae posted:

I'm starting to buy into the line that Intel poo poo its pants over AMD suddenly showing up to the game and is just running around in panic mode releasing whatever they can find.

Remember that all rumours pointed to Skylake-X and Kaby-X launching in August, there was no indication of them launching this soon until the last minute. Definitely points to a panic launch.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

"That's probably 80-90 degrees cable which is probably pretty close to it catching on fire" :eyepop:

The PSU is at least partially to blame for that, according to JonnyGURU:

JonnyGURU posted:

If you used the SuperFlower PSU in the video with the crystal connectors, that's part of your problem. Those "universal 9-pin connectors" have less conductors than most other modular PSUs because the same connector that's used for EPS12V, PCIe, etc. has to also support +5V and +3.3V for Molex and SATA and then there's an "LED pin" which, when grounded to a ground pin, turns on the interface's LED. A horribly bad design. This is why the wires would be so hot. I suggest checking the voltage at the PSU and then at the motherboard's EPS12V to see what the drop looks like under load. If the voltage is significantly lower than +12V, the board is going to have to pull more current than it normally would. I then suggest using that AX1500i you have on the shelf behind you and see if you end up with the same results since that modular cable for the EPS12V is four +12V pins and four grounds.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

craig588 posted:

I'm not worried about running even the next generations videocards at pci-e 3 8X https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/

I do wonder how 8x affects minimums/percentiles though. Unfortunately TPU only measured average FPS :(

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

scrubs season six posted:

Can a 1080ti saturate 8x PCIe 3.0? Is it possible top end Volta will?

I thought I remember reading indications that a 1080ti could but it also could have just been someone that tested it wrong/shittily.

I ask because I am an idiot that likes to flush money down the toilet and am concerned about losing 5% of the already lovely SLI scaling on my next build.

Puget tested PCIe scaling with the Titan X Pascal, which is basically the same as the 1080ti. Dropping from 16x to 8x does make a difference but it's very small in most cases.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

16th of September? But my P67 board is dying, not sure if it will last that long :ohdear:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Apparently not even the 12-18 core Skylake-X chips have soldered heatspreaders, despite the massive die size :lol:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VCZ: Intel Z390 to support 8C/16T CPUs in H2 2018

:monocle:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Black Hat '17: How to Hack a Turned-Off Computer, or Running Unsigned Code in Intel Management Engine

yikes

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

someone posted their 8700k benchmarks early

rest in peace 7800x

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Everyone pooh-poohs AVX512 as some niche thing but a surprising amount of the actual compute-intensive stuff (i.e the stuff you're buying a 10-18 core CPU for) actually can use it. x264, x265, and Blender all see huge IPC gains from AVX512 - to the extent that SKL-X is pushing 50-100% more performance-per-core in these tasks.

Reviewers need to stop using loving Handbrake. The x264 devs added AVX512 paths back in June, long before reviewers got their Skylake-X samples, but because Handbrake is still pinned to an x264 commit from November of last year SKL-X reviews were largely using the old AVX2 paths.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

I keep hearing about AVX-512. Can someone give me an example app that takes advantage of this (other than goddamn Blender)

There's not much outside of HPC so far. The two examples that come to mind are x264 and the Embree raytracing library, which powers UE4s lightmapper for example.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Why do these motherboards all still have rear end media controllers for usb 3.1?

Because Intel still doesn't have native USB3.1 gen2, that's coming with Z390.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Welp, time to retire the 2500k. 8700k incoming :toot:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SuperTeeJay posted:

Other major UK retailers that have gone live with the 8700K were showing 'Available to pre-order' from the start. It appears there are no retail 8700Ks for sale in the UK today and all OEM chips are being sold in systems or at an insane markup.

Scan.co.uk listed it as "available to pre-order" when I put my order in, but they just sent me an email with a delivery ETA of tomorrow so :shrug:

we'll see

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Glad I jumped on it quickly, the same store is now backordered until November 1st :v:

edit: lol

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 5, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Scarecow posted:

If your not benching ryzen and TR with at least 3200mhz 14-14-14-36 cl14 ram then your purposely gimping them and stacking the deck in intels favor

OTOH benchmarking with expensive RAM for TR/Ryzens benefit is potentially stacking the perf/$ charts in AMDs favour, since the Intel platforms might manage just fine with cheaper memory.

Ideally reviewers would take that into account but I don't think anyone does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

My 8700k system just shipped, much earlier than expected. I hope this lasts as long as my 2500k did :v: