Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Fecha posted:

We still don't have any proof that she's a murderer, though. All she's done so far is give Annie that odd scar on her spirit-self.

When Annie asked Muut about Jeanne, he says she should be thankful she can't cross the river and that Jeanne is beyond the reach of the psychopomps. Sounds like a dangerous spirit to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

ahhhh

why is the site down

WHY

I bet this is boxbot's fault

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I think we can all agree that Anthony Carver does not care *at all* about Annie's emotions. Even if you think he's trying to be a good dad, he clearly does not take her feelings into account when he acts. Look at what's he done:

1. Abandoned her to the court for six years shortly after her mother's death.

2. Virtually no communication between them during this time. Certainly no explanation for his absence.

3. Decides to re-enter her life by ambushing her in public, as a teacher. There's no private reunion, no letter giving her a head's up, no phone call, nothing. That's got to be one of the worst ways to show up after disappearing for so long.

4. Immediately publicly humiliates her in class and then proceeds to turn her life upside down by cutting her off from friends, taking away Renard, and so forth.

5. There's also the magical surgery he attempted on her.

Annie is in shock and Anthony doesn't even seem to notice or care. I would bet she becomes incredibly depressed and withdrawn, possibly to the point where she gives up on life. Teenagers have attempted suicide over less emotional trauma. Keep in mind that she probably still has survivor's guilt over her mother's death. He's either doing this intentionally (probably wants to soften her up so removing the fire elemental spirit is easier) or he is one of those guys that thinks all emotions are useless, especially in women.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't agree.

I'm really just amazed at all the people jumping to the conclusion that Anthony is pure evil, or autistic, or a sociopath, or whatever, just because he's being strict with Annie and Tom hasn't immediately revealed the reason for his actions. You people obviously haven't been reading the same comic I have. When was the last time the comic featured a character who was unambiguously evil? Keep in mind that Renard, a demon who murders people and possesses their bodies, is one of the the most popular characters in the comic.

He's not being strict. If he was just a strict parent, he would have been there for the last six years and her cheating would have been caught much earlier, if she cheated at all. He abandoned her when she needed him most, hasn't provided any actual guidance to her and has put her into shock by dumping everything on her at once. He may have good intentions but he doesn't care how she processes it. You can achieve the same goals but minimize the emotional damage.

If he had introduced himself before class with some people she trusts, then I could believe he cares about her emotional well being. Stage it like an intervention or something. But the way he's delivering the news is maximizing the damage, needlessly. Either he doesn't care or he wants her to suffer.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Boogaleeboo posted:

Oh he's narratively compelling, but the ha ha joking around stuff? It's just a thing he does to distract you from the times he fucks with you in incredibly vicious ways. So when he does you just go "Oh, he's just Coyote.". Like you remember the first thing the forest did to Annie almost saw her dead, right? And he's nearly gotten her killed again since then. But it's cool because ha ha, what a trickster. You have an interest in Annie continuing to go to the forest because it's a story and it makes for good fiction, but anyone that knows what she has to deal with that doesn't try to stop her is seriously mentally deficient.

Coyote is a monster. A memory stealing bastard that sows chaos and discontent for no real reason. It's just what he is. He'll never change, and if you stay near him long enough you are going to get screwed over. Even when he's a folk hero that's still like every story that deals with him. Nobody should deal with that, especially not a child. Her mother was older and had more practice, and Coyote still messed around and got someone killed on her watch.

This is a horrific job she has that is going to end in nothing but tears, and it's absolutely for the best that she be nowhere near it. It doesn't make for as interesting a story, but it's probably best for Annie in the long run. Pity her father is the one telling her, that'll spoil the message in the end.

Well, this is what the Headmaster of the Court thinks, I bet. He just pretends to be bored so as not to give Coyote any more leverage. All of Gunnerkrigg Court's stories seem to be foreshadowing an eventual Forest vs. Court conflict. I think that the Court's leaders plan to destroy and/or totally subjugate the Forest. They have peace because they can't deal with Coyote right now. Sooner or later, they'll try something to take Coyote down.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Fister Roboto posted:

This is what I'm talking about with jumping to conclusions. You're not even open to the possibility? Really? In a setting with as much mystery and fantasy as this?

There could be a 'good' reason in that Surma's death could have driven him mad with grief and he was unable to even look at Annie with seeing Surma. Unable to deal with it, he fled. That's probably how he deals with his emotions - run away and hide until he's calm. That doesn't mean he's a good father though. Of course, consciously, he became obsessed with 'curing' Annie of her 'condition'. Now that he's found a way to extract the fire spirit without killing her (he thinks), he's back to 'save' her.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Itzena posted:

No, there's an argument coming. Kat is going to end up yelling at Annie about how awful her dad is and Annie will react in her typical manner to someone criticising her father.
Kat ends up running off crying, Tony turns up and Annie passively follows him to her new room. End of chapter.

Then we see that Tony has already started dissecting Renard and forces Annie to assist him.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

JT Jag posted:

He's in the body of a doll so I think he'd no-sell it.

Can't he shift into a normal wolf?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Carrasco posted:

After reading a long a little after tracking down that last link: in the fourth treatise, Annie's hair symbolizes the bond between Kat and Annie, even when they're apart.

And now that bond has been cut.

Are they supposed to be summaries of past events or hints of future events?

Also, chapters can go for 50-70 pages , so at 12 pages a month, we have several more months of this chapter to look forward to. What are your predictions? Mine are:

Annie will push Kat away - She believes that being abandoned by her father is her own fault and will do anything to win his approval.

Kat will go to her parents and Jones. They won't approve of Tony's actions but can't or won't do anything.

Eglamore will confront Tony about Annie. Tony will have the Court's backing so nothing can be done.

Not sure what else is going to happen, but I'm pretty confident about those.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That page doesn't really confirm much. It confirms that Surma CHOSE Anthony, but there's nothing there that says there was a GOOD reason for choosing Anthony over Eglamore. After all, Eglamore openly states that he doesn't understand why the choice was made as it was.

It could very well have been as simple as a biological timer. Eglamore could have just been out training on the wrong day and welp.

You know, perhaps The Court or someone else manipulated Surma et all so that she would fall for Tony and not Eglamore. If the Court's purpose is to make human into gods, then there's a good chance kids with supernatural powers are part of that. The powers that be could have decided that Tony + Surma would have produced a better child than Eglamore + Surma. After all, several people have commented on how Annie reflects both of her parents influence. I wouldn't be surprised to find out there's some kind of deliberate eugenics program going on with Annie, Kat, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

theory: Tony ordered Annie to transfer ownership to "the person with the sign of the maker", which he assumed was himself since he was the highest ranking person with it when he left the court.He was not aware of Kat's symbiotic link to the sign. Now Renard is bound to people with the sign of the maker, but the strength of that binding is tied to the strength of the sign. Kat is much more closely connected to the sign than Tony, so she has more control over Renard.