Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

M.c.P posted:

Which only begs the question, why have a child in the first place? It suggests some big picture reason that Surma needed to procreate, especially since she was pretty young when she had a child. (The Donlans, Eglamore, they're in their mid 30s, right?). And part of that process involved Anthony, because in that weird fairy tale way, their child inherited the qualities of both.

Was this a Court order? Some plan among Surma's group of friends? Some terrible mistake? No idea, but it might involve whatever Anthony's been doing so far away from everyone else.
Sometimes, when two people love each other, things happen and then a baby happens, and no one actually planned it at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I posted that in the Webcomics thread after I saw that. I saw on Tom's tumblr that he sent the guy an email to get Gunnerkrigg removed, but honestly that app should be wiped from the market.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I find it slightly worrying that Tom draws himself as a Zimmy-esque person.

I also don't really understand what Zimmy is, so if anyone wants to help out there, I'd appreciate it.
My favorite part of Tom's self portraits is his nub bone hands.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

The Walker posted:

It seemed apparent to me in the hospital scene that Anthony cared very deeply for Surma. This in turn implies that he has grown quite a bit as a human being- I don't think the youthful Anthony we see now would be able to deal with his own feelings well enough to actually enter a relationship (Were Anthony and Surma married? That seems like an important detail and I can't recall anything definite either way).
We don't knoy anything about Surma and Anthony's relationship except that he obviously was distraught when Surma got sick, and at some point they conceived Annie and were married before she was born. Everything else is a mystery, but I have ahunch that Annie's birth wasn't anything even close to what you'd call planned, and Surma never let on what would happen to her when she had a child to Anthony, probably until she got sick.

At this point I'm thinking that Anthony wasn't around a lot when Annie was younger, that she resents him for not being there when her and Surma were in the hospital. But she can't quite vocalize why she feels that way because she's a barely a teenager and kind of emotionally stunted due to the environment she grew up in. So she acts detached and tries to stay in control and gets surprised when she realizes she's digging her nails into her palms because she's clenching her fists so hard.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 22, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
We've never really gotten any indication of Anthony and Surma's relationship in the past. In all the flashbacks Surma seems to be dating Eglamore, and in this page when Surma is talking to Anja, she still seems to be daring him and not Anthony. This is presumably while she is still working at the court, so they didn't get together until they were adults.

One of the biggest mysteries in the comic is still why Surma ended up with Anthony instead of Eglamore, and what exactly happened, because Eglamore clearly isn't over her, they must have dated for years.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It specifically suppresses Reynardine's powers and we have no reason to believe that it does the same to anyone or anything else. The crossed out eye symbol is specific to Renard because he takes over somebody's body by entering through their eyes.

Aside from that it can make temporary openings in walls, erect temporary physical barriers and fetch medium sized objects from some sort of storage. That seems to be it. I honestly think that Anja and Donald built it to give him access to her unexplainable powers, since she clearly doesn't actually need the computer. She can use Annie's blinker stone just fine, after all.

And there are other examples of magic poo poo too, Eglamore drew that symbol in purple chalk to snuff out the fire Annie covered the bridge in while she fled to the forest.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Tea-san posted:

The computer can also perform general tasks such as attempting to trace a phone call. It also has a shopping list app, and an app for taking notes which was a good idea but they never end up using it.
Yeah but can it run argh.apk?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't even remember if it ever appeared in the comic like this, but is there an image of Annie's blinker stone signal somewhere? Like, from straight on, not at an angle?

Tom, I'd appreciate a big version of that glyph for like a background or something. :)

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 31, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

You mean like this?
Yes, that'll do I can scale it up.

When I get some money I will buy a shirt and then I am going to make a bootleg vinyl copy of that to put on my motorcycle windshield. It is looking sadly blank since I replaced my last windshield

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
City Face is the best character (after Robox, of course. That guy rules).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Did you size this down from a bigger image? Do you have this in SUPER HUGE? I need it in SUPER HUGE size.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

You're channeling your avatar, aren't you.

Here ya go:

I can make them wallpaper-sized if you guys want. Just ask for a resolution and colour (dark/light).
Literally as large as possible. I want to get a custom latex sticker made to go on my motorcycle windshield and I need a clean image at a high resolution to do it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Edited my previous post, I'll add the resolutions there.

Sorry, that's as large as I have it. I can try vectorizing it when I get home if you let me steal your idea and make one for my bike's fuel tank as well.
I think I got it covered. :v:

Waffnuffly posted:

And so The Court's Angels are born.
Hey, well my honda already has the wing motif going on, so I don't think I'll get any weird looks about it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ephphatha posted:

Nice and easy to vectorise. That vector is not optimised so it has a few path elements that can be removed, but I'm at work.
Hey, if you could still mess with this do you think could you fix it up so all the corners are nice and pointy like they're supposed to be?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Zenzirouj posted:

KatXZimmyXGamma???
http://gunnerkrigg.com/zimmy.html

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It gets worse (better)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

For the record, he doesn't own these. Nor does he own that awesome blue wall. They are pictures from Tom's tumblr.

They are canvases for the London MCM convention.
Man I wish I owned that blue wall.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Roger Explosion posted:

Look at the quality of that last panel. It's almost as if Tom has had extra time to work on the comic!
I don't think it's been long enough since he went full time for him to get through the buffer up to what he's drawn since.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if we'll get a version of the scene with Reynard where Annie runs off to the forest crying, and instead of taking off the mask it cracks or something.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Talorat posted:

Tom, seriously, I will pay you unreasonable amounts of money for one of those prints. Just put it on ebay, come on man.

Fake edit: Has anyone noticed that Tom gets the gently caress out of this thread whenever we start talking heavy speculation? I think he can't resist the urge to let us know what's going on so he steers clear for a few weeks until the chapter ends.
They're not even prints man, those are hand painted canvas.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it turned out super awesome! I need to send Tom a donation later though, I'm skirting the edge of bootleg merchandise here and I don't want to be ungrateful.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think whatever this is isn't Anthony's doing. I think it is something Annie has subconsciously put on herself because of him.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

So anyone think Anthony is away trying to figure out a way to "cure" Annie of the whole fire elemental situation?
Probably. But it's an intrinsic trait, not anything you can "cure." He's deluded himself into thinking he can fix it when it's not even broken.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think Annie wears the makeup because she feels like she has to put out a strong "mature" front, like she imagines an adult would act. It's a visual indication of that.

It's been a fairly important part of her character development, going from stoic and emotionally distant to a place where she feels comfortable acting her own age and letting people see her actual feelings.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Madrox posted:

Oh Annie... She just can't accept that maybe her father is indeed a jerk that needs a Zimmy face-punch on occasion. I think Rasamune's theory is at least pretty close to being what happened based on what we see here. So what are we expecting, one more page for this chapter on Friday?
I think we'll have two more pages in this chapter, on Friday and Monday, the bonus page on Wednesday, and the new chapter page on Friday, leaving us waiting all weekend to see the first page of the new chapter.

Because that's always how it happens. :sigh:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Coyote is actually going to chastise Annie for being flippant with the Gunnerkrigg administration and skipping out on detention.

Because that is not what anyone expects him to bring up.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Oh Annie don't fall for Coyote's tricks! His "great secret" is going to be something super disappointing like he's allergic to peanuts or something
A peanut allergy is no laughing matter!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Migishu posted:

Excited for next chapter now, hopefully we'll find out what the hell is Jones' deal.
Nope, next chapter we'll see Annie walking out of Jones office, dusting her hands and saying, welp, that explains so much!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Living, damp wood isn't as easily combustible as everyone seems to think it is.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWOELUl_P-E

I think I solved it guys.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Some day I will have one of those City Face canvasses. Someday. :allears:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
That image is just an uncolored page from a future chapter that Tom is working on, so probably will see it on the site in like two months.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Alienwarez posted:

The art on this page is fantastic! I'm no artist and can't really point out why, but Tom's art seems to have made another leap forward in quality recently.

Also, does anyone recognize the symbol on Kat's shirt? I'm normally familiar with the music Kat seems to like, and I know she has posters and other shirts with band references, but I don't recognize this one.
When did he go full time? It might have been around that time he started drawing this chapter.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

mjau posted:

So, I, er. I feel a bit stupid posting this, but what the hell. I found myself with some time to kill and a silly idea today (inspired by Kennel's image)

(i'm sorry)

(it's Dale Cooper and Garland Briggs from Twin Peaks)
:golfclap:

I can hear both of their voices perfectly :allears:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Conot posted:

Depending on how much of a jerk Tom is, there might not be a update till Tuesday at the earliest, as Monday is a bank holiday in the UK :allears:

But since GC is going from a buffer, it probably will go up on Monday, so atleast hes not too much of a troll.
Tom has never missed his MWF schedule. Ever.

Except when he updates MTWTF during his "breaks".

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Part of the great thing about how Tom does comics is he has such a huge buffer that you can pretty much guarantee that any short-term reaction to the comic will have zero effect on his creative process.

Also he doesn't really seem to give much consideration to knee-jerk reactions anyway. Tom's pretty much the chillest and most reasonable comic author on the internet.

DaveWoo posted:

I've learned that it's best just to not look at any other forums when it comes to GC.
Fixed that for you.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

How long ago was the Chibisoma thing now? What if Tom's buffer is so freakin' huge that he drew this arc right after that all happened as a way to spite the guy far in the future? :tinfoil:

"Oh, so they're gonna rant about relationship issue, are they? Let's see how they deal with this!"
As I recall, Tom's buffer is like two to three months worth of comics. I bet its gotten bigger since he went full-time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Everyone grab your wallets!

http://gunnerkrigg.tumblr.com/post/51567783042/my-publisher-sent-me-an-advance-copy-of-volume-4