Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

DocFrance posted:

Maybe she's a robot?

fake edit: I really wish it would turn out that everyone at the court was a robot except Jones.

That would explain all the puzzles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Jeanne's second face freaks me out :ohdear:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Dammit Who? posted:

The page after that has what is probably my favorite panel, where she's giving Annie/Kat the finger. My second favorite panel? The one where Coyote says "Hey Antelope! Nice FACE you have! FOR A GIANT IDIOT I MEAN AHAHAHAHAHAHA I AM SO SMART!"

It really is great.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a better explanation, but we don't have enough information yet.

Maybe it has something to do with Sivo? I dunno, it just seems like there's more to that story.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Dammit Cozz I need to sleep :argh:

Anyway, the comment on this page is probably relevant to the current storyline. I'm not really sure what it means, but maybe I'm just being thick and/or forgetful again.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Was I the only person that found Coyote's expression in the last panel hilarious?

He looks genuinely shocked, possibly for the first time ever.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

MagnoliaPearl posted:

The Court didn't tell her, but neither did Coyote or Ysengrin or any of them, even though they knew too. I guess since the Court serves as her home and the adults there her guardians, Annie might distrust them more for not telling her, but I don't think she sees Coyote as "the only one she can trust".

Honestly, she's probably not thinking about any of that. She's angry at the adults in the Court, and she went to Coyote because he's the only authority figure she knows that's not part of the Court. Even though we've been discussing and speculating for weeks, it's only been like maybe 15 minutes in the comic- she's still upset and hasn't thought any of this through.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

pantX0r posted:

I think I found where the faeries shop for human businessman supplies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI

I can't believe it took me until now to figure out the joke.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm tired of this slander against dino-demons.

I got nothin' against dino-demons, but I can't stand no evil dino-demons.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 21, 2011

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I just want to say I love Zimmy's face in that last panel.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Brannock posted:

If everyone is taking turns telling stories do you think we'll get a story from Annie about her summer?

The chapter subtitle is "(and three short tales)" so unless Winsbury gets cut off and that means this one doesn't count I don't think so.

Also I love Janet's face at the top of the page. I think she doesn't like the story as much as we do.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I like to think this is all true.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

QueerPope posted:

Jack sure will be disappointed when he finds out Zimmy is in lesbians with somebody else.

I'm pretty sure he already knows.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

YggiDee posted:

edit: oh hey there it is. I figure stuffed animals are all secretly jerks, and Reynard is reflecting that.

This isn't really related, but I just realized that we know why Kat's mom is crying on the next page now. :smith:

I really love all the little bits of foreshadowing like that. It's easy to forget they ever happened when you're following the comic as it updates, but when you eventually go back and reread them there's a really great moment when everything clicks and you finally figure out what was going on.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

MikeJF posted:

We always did, didn't we? Annie didn't transfer in until Surma had actually died, and the audience knew they were friends by that point in the comic. She was just crying at her friend's death.

Right, but it wasn't until a couple hundred pages later that we found out Surma died because she had Annie.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 4, 2011

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Benagain posted:

Because if Annie wasn't able to leave her mother's side until her mom finally died. Ergo, if she's transferring in, that's kind of an automatic death notice.

Right. Presumably, the paper only says that Annie is transferring in, not that Surma is dead. Kat's mom knew having a child meant Surma was dead (or at least dying), but we didn't, so at the time it wasn't clear why Annie transferring in made her cry.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Phil Resch posted:

His power is distorting probability. Jones said it herself. (I don't mean that to be snarky, if it comes off that way. I just think Smitty's powers don't have to be terribly complicated.)

In a sense his power is basically being really, really lucky.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

maltesh posted:

Hopefully, Shadow 2 was watching from the floor.

Poor guy's probably going to take it really hard :smith:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Madrox posted:

I was re-reading some bits from the archive, and thought that in light of the most recent strip, it was worth pointing out the narration in this strip, particularly the last few panels.

In light of this, the strip makes a lot more sense. The point isn't about the relationship between Robot and Shadow or whatever, it's about Robot figuring out what love is.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Shadow's little smile is adorable.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Kismet posted:

Well, Jeanne looked pretty kickin' in the ether.

Huh, look at that. I'm starting to think Annie no longer being tied to the blinker stone might end up being very important once it comes time to deal with Jeanne.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

It started last page, but for some reason I didn't really notice Zimmy's skin going gray until just now. That can't possibly be a good sign.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The best part is imagining how that looked from Kat's perspective. Zimmy just gets sent flying.

Especially once you realize that Zimmy's movement in the ether correlating to her movement in the real world means that Kat has been watching her walk around and make random, incomprehensible motions for the last couple of minutes.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

I have a sudden feeling this is going to backfire horribly. :ohdear:

Annie's way too at ease with the forest. There's no way this is going to end well.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

1stGear posted:

So naturally I read a few pages on from there and Tom, we're missing a cursed teapot adventure, I demand the like twenty bucks I've given you back.

I just want to be able to buy a sweet Born to Heckle shirt.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I think it's a bit early to be jumping straight to the "OH poo poo" reactions. The interaction on this page reads more like joking around than a serious dispute- my read, at least, is that Annie's just pretending to be petulant rather than intending to actively disobey or ignore Coyote, and most of her words/actions (with the possible exception of "I want to go to the village") make more sense as the former than the latter.

Besides, Coyote's the kind of guy who keeps his cards close to his chest. He can be sinister, and I don't doubt Annie's going to see his dark side again before too long, but right now she trusts him and I don't think he's going to blow that leverage until the time is right. He may be trying to freak her out, give her a reminder of what he can do just in case she forgot, but I don't think this is meant to be a real threat just yet.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 16, 2012

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

You'd think Annie would have learned how to talk to Ysengrin by now...

Or at least seen Goodfellas.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ezzer posted:

It gets said like once every page but Jones isn't based on existing mythology, guys.

Maybe I'm misremembering Tom's exact words, but I think the wording in that answer left enough room for her to be based on existing mythology even if she's not actually taken directly from it, which would mean something like 'Odin's missing eye' isn't necessarily off the table.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Well it's explicitly not a reference to any existing mythology, take from that what you will. I doubt making her based on Odin's eye and having a name of The Wandering Eye qualifies as "not a reference."

Ah, yeah, that's pretty unambiguous. I was just misremembering after all.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

It was always burning, since the world's been turning.

Of course, Jones was probably present when the world started turning, so I guess that doesn't rule her out.

Jones didn't start the fire, Jones is the fire.

Not sure what the means for Annie.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Honestly I could see it going either way at this point so I'm just gonna wait for the next page without trying to make any calls. I doubt the love letter plot point exists solely for the sake of a fakeout but this could just as easily be setting up something related to Kat's developing robo-cult as any kind of romance subplot.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

You know for some reason this page makes it seem a lot more likely to me that Kat is going to shoot Paz down. I could just about see it going either way before but I can only see the last panel here leading to Kat jerking her hand away on the next page.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I'm really glad to have my initial predictions proven wrong. We'll see where this ends up but for now it's a really sweet turn of events and I'd rather enjoy the :3: than wonder how this might turn :smith: in later chapters.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

This leaves Annie the only student character without some sort of relationship or crush. She's never shown any romantic inclination at all, not counting the trick she tried to pull on Jack. I wonder if that's important. It could just be her father's influence; he looked much the same.

There's always green forest dude.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

OneTwentySix posted:

If getting pregnant meant you were going to die a few years later, I think that would be a big thing to scare you off of relationships. So really, if any of the characters should have been gay, it should have been Annie, since odds are, straight Annie is going to die in the prime of her life, just like her mom. :( (Not that one gay/bi/confused main character means you can't have more)

There are ways for a woman to have a relationship with a man without getting pregnant, you know. It's not actually a foregone conclusion.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think we'll be able to have a good guess at what Anthony is up to until we know the nature of his and Surma's relationship. They were apparently both entirely aware of what would happen if they had a child. They did anyway.

Tom's comment on this page is interesting. Maybe it wasn't entirely up to Surma to choose whether or not she had a child? Could be that's why she ended up with Anthony-- even if she was somehow compelled to give birth, someone more guided by emotion than Anthony seems to be might not've been willing to impregnate her knowing what would happen.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 2, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

So like a literal :biotruths:?

Not really sure if I'd be okay with what that implies.

I see where you're coming from, but I was thinking more along the lines of "if you don't pass the flame along before X age it grows too strong and burns you up from the inside" which would probably be a bit more palatable than "I just can't help but have a baby because :biotruths:." I suppose there'd still be some kind of sketchy 'biological clock' implications in that too though.

e: ^^^^ Actually I like that interpretation better too. And of course it's always possible that Coyote's wording there just doesn't necessarily mean anything but then it is Coyote.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 2, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

mr. stefan posted:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Zimmy was the result of some experiment by Anthony to create a child from his and Surma's genes without the "stealing her mother's fire" bit, and it backfiring horribly with the end result of Zimmy's powers essentially being what happens when someone has part of their soul surgically removed in utero.

It's probably not very likely at all, but I'm still betting there's more of a connection between Zimmy and Antimony than what's been shown already.

Eh, I dunno, the whole idea of Zimmy being somehow connected or related to Annie rubs me the wrong way. I think she works better as an example of the strange and occasionally terrifying etheric nonsense that sometimes crops up in the world.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Blackheart posted:

I'm a little bit worried actually, that Renard isn't going to have the happiest of adventures. Unless Red somehow shows up, which will make it the best of adventures.

Yeah, his poses and expressions here scream "this adventure is going to be a somber one" to me. I get the feeling this chapter's going to give us some insight into the less upbeat parts of Renard's backstory/psyche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Actually reading back, it's unclear. All he really does is deny that Reynard has killed "many people". So it could be more than one, but not whatever constitutes 'many'. :shrug:

"I mean sure he killed nine hundred people, but it's not like he killed a thousand."