Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

There are some amazing arguments made in that thread.

Amazing as in :stare: amazing, sure!

a terrible poster from that thread posted:

you think that japanese are the perfect human beings, even thought they have the smallest dicks of all the different human races, and that's a FACT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Wizardry had automapping if I recall, but you needed to cast a spell in order to view it.

You're talking about the DUMAPIC spell, but that just gave you your coordinates in the dungeon to assist you in finding where you were. Some of the later remakes on consoles turned that spell into an automap, but that was long after the initial release.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Just out of curiosity, what is it about community-patched Gothic 3 that people don't like? The combat isn't quite as good as Gothic 1/2 but it's still perfectly serviceable. You've got an enormous, sprawling world to explore, tons of quests, an interesting faction system, and more skills and spells than you can shake a stick at. The story and characters aren't as good as Gothic 1/2 but it's a worthy successor IMO.

Unpatched, sure--it was a buggy and unplayable mess at release, but with the community patch it's a solid and entertaining game.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

01011001 posted:

I've actually been playing (community-patched) Gothic 3 for a first runthrough now, so good timing on this discussion. The faction system really disappoints me, honestly - maybe I'm just not in it thick enough but from here it's way more straightforward than the setups of either of the original 2 games or Risen. The size and scope of it are really nice and liberations are nice in concept (but not in framerate! also they're kind of boring once they're over because you have no reason to go back to that town usually) but it really needed a bit more time to gel and be more of a thing.

The orcs/rebels factions is admittedly the most boring of the factions. It's more interesting later on when it comes to the Innos/Adanos/Beliar factions, which (potentially) give your hero different powers depending on who you pick. For orcs/rebels it's more to your advantage not to pick a side (outside of liberating the first town which you have to do) until the very end since the towns largely lose a lot of their life once one side has "won."

The complaints about combat I get though, and I don't understand why anyone would prefer Gothic 3's combat over 1/2 TBH. Unlike Gothic 3, in Gothic 1/2 you get a whole range of different types of attacks. Plus once you train up in a skill in-game your animations become more fluid and responsive, which makes a huge difference in combat.

Complaints about the engine (especially now) I don't get though--even back in late 2007 when I got it, I never had any problems with performance or crashes. I did use the community patch though, and maybe I just lucked out on my choice of hardware for my rig's. :shrug:

Overall I thought it was a pretty decent game--Gothic 1 and 2 were definitely better, but it's not the festering piece of garbage it's often made out to be. (The standalone Gothic 3 expansion pack absolutely is though)

quote:

The sequel is at least consistently spread out content-wise, unlike the awful second half of Risen where you do very little except fight lizard-guys for a whole lot of hours.

I agree, but the content in Risen 2 also wasn't very good for the most part. The options for character building were especially atrocious. It's like they thought "let's make a pirate RPG" and gave your character a bunch of pirate-y skills without actually thinking out whether they'd actually be fun first.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Oh hello, is that a whole bunch of the Wizardry games on Steam, there? I used to own Wizardry 8 and had a good deal of fun with it. Anyone have any experience with the others up on the (6 and 7, I believe).

The presentation and interface of 6 sucks hard, but it's still a really good game.

7 also has interface issues but it's the best game in the series IMO. I liked Wizardry 8 a ton, but it still was kind of a letdown after 7--it lacked the massive game world, dynamic NPCs, and the class changing system of 7 which made it so great.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

Did the DQ VII remake change the way you level vocations? Both that and having to search the entire planet for the one hidden shard you need to advance the plot really killed my enjoyment of that game.

I actually liked the way that you leveled jobs in that game. Since they took so long to max out it forced you to plan ahead with how you made your characters. Though the monster jobs were dumb, and pulling a character from your party who you had probably already customized to fill a role was a dick move. DQ VI handled that particular job system better IMO, especially since it had a larger cast plus the potential for monster party members. (and no pulling characters you already developed out of your party)

Searching for shards was a giant pain though, I'll give you that. Apparently the remake makes that particular aspect easier, though I don't remember how.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

I probably wouldn't have minded having to plan in the long term if the game was like DQIX and actually told you ahead of time what abilities you would get from each vocation, and which combinations unlock the upper level vocations. The way it was set up seemed to punish the player for not using a FAQ and just experimenting.

I have the Japanese (PSX) version so I don't know whether or not the translated version is any different, but in the back of the manual there's a big list of almost all of the abilities along with the jobs you learn them in. It doesn't list any monster job abilities though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Witcher 1 is ridiculously slow and unengaging. If you care at all about having interesting gameplay to connect all the quests and dialogue bits together, you probably won't enjoy it. Witcher 2 is still slow and full of backtracking, but at least the gameplay is actually fun. The plot also has pretty much no connection to the first game, so you're really missing nothing by skipping it.

Eh, I dunno--I liked the gameplay in Witcher 1 enough to play through it multiple times. It is a little weird though in that it does its best to convince you that it's an action RPG with at least partially twitch-based combat when it's really not, at all. (Witcher 2 on the other hand most certainly is) I actually thought the combat was varied and interesting, though not particularly balanced. I missed the different sword styles in the Witcher 2.

The backtracking is really bad though in Witcher 1, there's no doubt about it. Especially in Act 3--the rich person district is the most boring area of the game IMO. (I know everyone talks about the swamp as the area they hate the most but I actually liked it a lot once I realized I could just run past enemies)

Honestly I think they're both good games that are worth playing, they're just very different. It's almost like comparing apples and oranges.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Levantine posted:

It's a legit question and I can't think of a single example where the answer is yes. I'm not sure why it keeps getting thrown out there as a balacing mechanic because it's never makes anything feel balanced and you as a player never really feel more powerful at any point in the game. In fact, it almost always ends up stacked against the player and you have the above example from Four Heroes of Light with final bosses that can one shot parties.

A lot of classic PC RPGs did it pretty well. Some of the later Wizardries had level scaling that worked pretty well for example, though there were usually limits on how it worked. (ie different areas topped off on what they could throw you) I remember playing one game--I forget which one, I think maybe Knights of Legend?--where you leveled by cashing in your EXP for weapon and armor skills or something and they would scale enemies so that they'd have combat skills roughly on par with yours too.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Jive One posted:

Can anyone suggest some big colorful epic console rpgs that are less known and from the 8-bit/16-bit era? Maybe some translated Japan-only releases that can be found as roms? I'd like to check out some different old-school titles similar to FF, DQ and Phantasy Star that are out there for the NES/SNES or Sega Master System/Genesis.

Any websites that may discuss these games as well, something like Hardcore Gaming 101?

Well, there's the Shin Megami Tensei series, though that's heavy on dungeon crawling so may not be everyone's cup of tea. There's also the Romancing SaGa series, which was big in Japan but never came over here.

Also I don't know if it's ever been translated since practically nobody's ever heard of it, but there's a series of fishing RPGs for the SNES called "Fishing the River Lord" 川のぬし釣り which has bizarre fights against squirrels and stuff but is still fun.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Don't trick people like that, Inindo was an atrocity. Koei should never make a classical JRPG ever again.

The SNES port of Inindo was an atrocity. The original NEC PC-9801 version of Inindo was amazing. :colbert:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TehGherkin posted:

Hey can anyone give me the lowdown on stuff I need to know going into Divine Divinity? I've always wanted to play it and I saw a friend playing Dragon Knight Saga earlier, and I really wanna play that. Unfortunately I literally can't play a game out of order of release even if they're only barely related. Same with films and books.

Divine Divinity and DKS are both great games but they couldn't be more different. Unlike DKS, which is a 3rd-person action RPG, Divine Divinity is basically an open-world Diablo-like.

I guess the only thing I'd recommend is to pick an archetype and stick with it. You can mix Warrior/Magician/Rogue skills to a point, but you don't want to spread your skill points too thin. Also at some point you'll probably establish a "home base" somewhere with containers you can stash loot in to sell/use later. Even though you'll mostly get there through the use of teleport stones, you'll save yourself a lot of headache if you establish it relatively close to a teleporter pad.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TehGherkin posted:

Much appreciated. I'm thinking of going wizard as last time I attempted it I went warrior. How are wizards in this game, do they start weak and end up the master-race ala D&D?

I'm really looking forward to the second one, even though it's a totally different style, the mind reading looks great, plus loving dragons. I have to do things chronologically though, so this first.

All classes are pretty balanced IMHO. I went wizard last time and it worked out pretty well, though the wizard's innate ability is probably the worst of the three classes. I don't think my wizard was significantly more powerful in the end game than my Survivor was the first time I played. (though that was when the game first came out way back in 2002 or whatever so my memory may be foggy)

One of the advantages of being a wizard (or any magic-focused build for that matter) is that there are a lot of skill tomes for spells in the game which you can use to boost magic skills without having to invest valuable skill points. They're rare, and they're expensive, but you get more leeway to play around with them.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It actually has worked! The key, as demonstrated in Front Mission Gun Hazard, is that you can't tie repetitive use to progression. Each individual item had a mastery score and the more you used it, the stronger it got: guns got more ammo, faster reload, higher rates of fire, and did more damage the more you attacked; jump jets lasted longer and granted better control the more you used them; mech frames got more HP and increased defense the more you got hit.

At the same time, you could forgo all that and just buy the next-tier item and get very much the same effect. The Lv.1 Vulcan gun was, at 100% proficiency, about 1.2x stronger than the Lv.2 Vulcan at 0% proficiency, and this was generally the case with every weapon tier. It was never necessary to grind any guns up and you usually got enough money doing each stage once to keep your equipment up-to-date (though you probably had to grind to keep your AI/2P companions' loadouts updated). The whole thing was treated as icing rather than the actual meat of the math, and therein lies the secret to making usage-based proficiency systems work: you need to treat them as a nice bonus on top rather than a necessity.

That's kind of how the original Xanadu worked. The main difference though was that it sounds like upgrading your equipment was much harsher--that is a 100% dagger is going to be twice as powerful as a 0% Short Sword, but a 100% Short Sword is going to be at least twice as powerful as a 100% dagger, if not more. So there were periods of time after you upgraded your stuff to the next tier where you'd be substantially weaker than before, though you'd get up to speed pretty quickly. It actually ended up working really well. Ironically it's one of the first, if not the first, RPGs to use that sort of progression (it came out in 1985) and still does it worlds better than just about anything to follow it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Levantine posted:

The Atelier Iris games, most notably 2 are quite fun to play. They are a bit janky just due to the period they were released but they are pretty sprite-based games that revolve around crafting.

DQ8 was the game that I thought nailed "next-gen" RPG perfectly at the time. The world map is just so huge and the scale is perfect for exploration. My only complaint now is that the encounter rate can feel a bit high but I still pick it up and play it. I love the sense of discovery the game presents.

Funny, because I had the opposite feeling about DQ8 and it's one of my biggest gripes about it. The world map is huge but it's also really empty. There's no real reason to explore since there's nothing there--just vast stretches of wilderness between towns. Maybe you'll find a treasure chest here and there but that's it. I honestly think the game would have been a lot better if they shrunk the maps significantly so there was less empty space.

It's still a really good game though, and one of the few PS2 RPGs I played to 100% completion.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

gdsfjkl posted:

If I were to restart, I would make a Summoner and immediately change their class to Alchemist at level 1. If you manage to make a contract with a monster, make a new Summoner and give them the Spirit Pact skill. If you use that while a monster is summoned, even if the monster doesn't belong to the summoner, the monster will join you as a permanent party member.

The monster loses all its skills and becomes a level 1 member of the "Devilish" race, but they do keep all their resistances and chance to inflict status ailments with their basic attacks. They also get to keep a single casting of any spells they knew, and I haven't tried it but I assume they'll still have a breath weapon if they had one.

:getin:

edit: actually you may as well push to level 4-5 summoner, whatever level gives you second level spells

I am getting a massive Wizardry Empire vibe from this (not surprising since Starfish made that too) so I think I am going to have to pick this up. Though I think I'll probably get the 3DS version instead--it's been on my e-store watchlist for a while and I have a bunch of credit there to burn anyway. Can anyone speak to how good the 3DS remix was? Any glaring problems with it?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

From what I could tell online, the 3DS Remix has a bunch of extra classes and races that the PSP and PC versions don't have, but it's also a much easier game too and there's no difficulty selection.

So it depends on if you care more about extra classes and races or a challenging game.

Wait, so is the PC version a straight PSP port then? I've read a lot about the 3DS vs PSP versions on Amazon reviews and the like (3DS is pretty much universally considered better with lots of quality-of-life improvements...nothing about difficulty though) so if it's just a port that pretty much seals it, unless it really is that much easier and I just haven't seen that mentioned.

I haven't seen much at all about the PC version on Japanese sites come to think of it. Did a PC version come out in Japan? I'd prefer to play untranslated if possible.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Tonfa posted:

Edit: Rudra no Hihou is also fantastic just for how surreal it is

Rudra no Hihou has a really interesting plot mechanic with the multiple parties adventuring simultaneously and seeing how party 1's actions influence what happen in party 2 and 3's stories and vice versa. But from a gameplay standpoint it's just bad. Combat is just atrocious and dull as hell, with literally no distinction between characters other than their stats and what they can equip. The magic creation system had a lot of potential to be interesting, but quickly devolves into "see what cool spell the monsters are casting and copy it." Though it is kind of amusing that they set it up so that you could input spell names from other RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and get the same effects. (Not sure if this made it through in any sort of translation)

It's kind of a shame because if they had put any serious effort into making the gameplay more fun it could have been an awesome game. It's like they had this one great idea about interacting storylines and then forgot that they had to attach a decent game to it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Srice posted:

The interacting storylines could have also used some work since until the teamup at the very end, most of the interactions are basically two groups running into each other, exchanging notes or maybe trading an item with each other, and then heading their separate ways.

The direct interaction between parties definitely wasn't the strong point. I was more thinking of the indirect sort of stuff, like "seemingly random occurrence is actually a direct result of something another party is doing elsewhere" or "area is like this because different party has done something here previously." Nothing mindblowing but kind of cool.

But yeah overall RnH is exactly the type of game you might want to read an LP of but not actually play.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Should I just play Shadowrun Dragonfall DX and not touch Returns? I know there's no plot connection I just wanna know if Returns is worth playing at all.

Dead Man's Switch isn't as good as Dragonfall IMO but it's not terrible. I think it's worth playing. At the very least playing through both stories gives you a chance to build a separate character for each and play with the different archetypes since specialization is so critical.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Codiekitty posted:

But you can only fight the final boss as Hugo, right?

No, you can only fight the real final boss as the third character, who you unlock by beating the game with both Hugo and Yunica. I may be misremembering though since it's been like 7 years since I played Ys Origin.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I really think a lot of the Hugo hate is really overrated. I can understand him being the 'easy' route but people make it sound like Hugo ruins the game sometimes.

The third character was my favorite but I liked Hugo. Playing as Hugo made the game seem like a bullet hell platformer if that makes any sense, which felt kind of novel to me at the time. Minority opinion I know, but my least favorite character was Yunica, who was still fun, but felt boring in comparison to the other two to me.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

The Mask of Eyes lets you cross a bridge in the fire zone. It's required to get one of the optional items in there as Yunica and Hugo. To my memory, that's the only other use of the Mask of Eyes in the game. And yes, that's how that boss tends to go, it's silly; there are a couple bosses in the game where the only recourse is to grind a little bit and maybe grab a better sword. Not too many, though.

Actually--it's not. With absolutely perfect timing you can get over that gap with a jump and your special ability.

I learned that the hard way because I was a complete dumbass and couldn't figure out what the mask was for but just couldn't let that thing go.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

How the gently caress do I beat this vampire bat thing? I can't level up any more so it isn't grinding. Seriously what do I do?

Also that centipede "boss" was hilarious.

You have to hit it in the instant it morphs from bats to the bat monster. It's invulnerable when it's in bat-swarm form.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The PC remake of Ys1 is hosed up. The game originally had a proper leveling system that went to the end of the game like you'd expect. I don't know why they did that or never fixed it, it's awful. The shortness of Ys1 is it's absolute strongest point. Thankfully Ys2 is a million billion times better in every way.

I would agree except I hate Ys 2 dungeons with a passion. gently caress the caverns, and gently caress the Palace of Salmon especially. I always get hopelessly lost in there. Ys 1 dungeons were mazelike too but I still could find my way around somehow. Even in Darm's Tower, which must have been designed by a lunatic.

I will note though that while I hate Ys 2's dungeons, that still doesn't prevent me from loving the game.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Xanadu Next is likely coming out and I can't wait yo try it. However, I hear that it is very different from other games in the series as it plays completely different. Is that true?

Yeah, it's definitely very different. Aside from you getting experience with your equipment there's not a lot to link it with previous installments in the series, though there's a (very tenuous) plot link to the very first Xanadu game.

It's a good game. The plot is utterly forgettable--in the sense that I've almost completely forgotten it--but it kind of plays like a Diablo-like in its control scheme I guess? At least that's the sense I got. Mouse control was way better than using a controller too I felt. It's got a lot of interesting environments, a fair number of dungeon puzzles (some of them are just block puzzles but still) and a bunch of different spells and active/passive skills you can learn and use. And gorgeous music. It's some of the best music out of Falcom ever IMO. Like I would rather listen to Xanadu Next's soundtrack than Ys Origin or Oath in Felghana. Though that's a personal preference I suspect a lot of people won't share.

Though I doubt a domestic release would see the same, the original boxed release I have was a great deal--it came with not just the game, but a nicely illustrated manual and monster bestiary, a music CD, and best of all, Project EGG (Japan's equivalent of GOG) Windows ports of PC Engine Xanadu Legend of the Wind 1 and 2.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 16, 2015

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

I have awful memory but I get the sense that Working Designs eventually mellowed out on the toilet humor and pop-culture references since I don't remember anything outrageous about the translation for Growlanser Generations. Instead, Vic chose to gently caress up by packing together two extremely text-heavy games that cost an arm to translate and loading them up with goodies. I like the guy but I can't vouch for his business sense.

Wasn't Vic Ireland the guy who spent large amounts of time in the 90s being an egotistical prick on newsgroups and starting flamewars over his games? This is all second-hand but I distinctly remember hearing stories of a "proto-Derek Smart" who was from a company that was involved in translating console games from around that time. I vaguely recall it being Vic Ireland but I honestly can't remember.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion of an cRPG with extremely good kleptomania? i really like breaking into vaults and stuff, and getting more powerful using my ill-gotten gains.

I like top down stuff most of all, and first person the least.

jrpgs are also welcome, if there is a super good suggestion.

The Gothic/Risen series, but mostly Gothic 1 and 2. A huge part of those games is sneaking into houses at night and stealing everything that's not nailed down.

Then, after you've gotten powerful, coming back to town and picking a fight with each NPC in town and rifling through their pockets as they lie unconscious on the ground.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Im_Special posted:

I dunno, I feel like the Aeon Genesis guys should have taken a step back to look over at their finished script, then take some liberties in changing lines to make things sound more english "correct". Like in these two shop screens.

Aeon Genesis Quits the shop, and Dynamic-Designs Exits the shop, You leave or exit places, you don't quit places, this kind of stuff just bugs me.

That has less to do with editing and more to do with the way scripts store things. In the Japanese original that word is best translated as "Stop" literally and I'd bet good money it appears exactly once in the script and is just referenced every single time the menu option appears, in any menu at all. Other than dicking with the coding for shop menus vs. other menus and everything else you get to pick one word to use for all of those times it appears. In other words, there are going to be some places that's used where "Exit" sounds a lot worse than "Quit," and others where "Quit" sounds worse than "Exit." But either way you're only going to get to pick one to use for all of them.

Comparing those lines with the Japanese original (which I'm pretty familiar with, having played a bunch of times) I'd say it's kind of subjective. There are some lines in the AG I like better and some in the DD that I like better. It's definitely clear though that the AG translation tried better to get the individual accents and weirdness in each character more than the DD one does. That fire dialogue for the DD translation is terrible--the fire in the Japanese one talks in pidgin Japanese, and they didn't even attempt to do anything to capture the oddness of it.

Heavy neutrino posted:

So which one is correct, narrative-wise? Is it some kind of army surplus store with good stuff, or is it a store left short-stocked by the war? That'll tell you quickly which one is the better translation.

Just fired up my copy of Mystic Ark. That line is:

ここは道具の売り場だ
わが軍は道具だけはいろいろそろっているよ

I'd translate that as "This is where we sell items. When it comes to items, our army has quite the selection."

So I don't think either is quite right, but the Aeon Genesis version is closer to the original. I don't think it's saying that ONLY their army has a good selection but it doesn't say anything about being short-stocked.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Im_Special posted:

I'm leaning towards second one, even though "liberties", they're in a war, missing their spy and without him they are kinda dead in the water at the moment, their miners are also coming up empty handed on ore because of reasons so they can't produce any new weaponry, so they are low on supplies you'd expect to have during war times, it only makes sense that they are low on stock for items as well.

Er, did you see my above post? That line about being low on supplies is a straight-up fabrication. In the Japanese original, which I just quoted above, the shopkeeper is bragging about the variety of his stock. That's not just "liberties," that's literally writing the opposite of what was in the original script.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Mystic Ark

Yes I did read it, but dialog from the other NPC's around the ship tell you of their problems, the war they are in, and the weapon supply issues they're facing, I was replying to the guy who asked about which one was better "narrative-wise".

You can put me down in the localization > direct translation camp.

OK, that's fair enough, but there's localization and then there's just messing with what's already there for no good reason. There's nothing outright wrong with having a guy talk about how his shop have a lot of good stuff. The designers of the game opted to have that particular guy be proud of his stock for whatever reason. At this point you're veering away from "I'm going to make this game sound more natural to an English-speaking audience" and into "I don't like the way the designers made this script, I'm going to try and change it more to my liking."

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 14, 2015

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

It's not a sequel at all; people only thought so based on the art because they didn't know enough Japanese to understand it's unrelated in everything except developers

That's not entirely the case, the two definitely have a really strong connection. Both Mystic Ark and Elnard (7th Saga in Japan) center around collecting the "Arks," there's that crystal ball for enemy encounters, you've got Lux the "Iron Man" in both games, the default name for the male MC is the same name as the first town in Elnard, some mechanics like a successful block increasing physical damage, etc. It's not a direct sequel in the sense that there's no story connection, but the two games share a lot of elements and it's pretty obvious that Elnard had a lot of influence on Mystic Ark's development.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

The Timely Howard posted:

As far as I recall, it's... really complicated. But basically, the main characters of Mystic Ark and Brain Lord (another game by the same developer) are actually the same guy (Lemele), who is the reincarnation of whichever hero you chose in The 7th Saga (because spoilers: no matter who you pick, The 7th Saga ends with you dying and being reincarnated as Lemele).

I think that's how it went, anyway.

Only problem with that is that Lemele isn't a person in Elnard/7th Saga, it's just a town. The guy in the ending of Elnard's you end up as is Jeeda, not Lemele.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Isn't the dude who sends you on your quest named Lemele?

Nope, his name is Jeeda. In Elnard at least. I don't remember if they changed it for 7th Saga though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

al-azad posted:

The hilarious thing is that Moguri is literally MOOGLE, the official 100% Square-Enix approved spelling of that character.

They didn't call Chocobo "Chokobo" but they called a MOOGLE "moguri".

"The translators meant for Aeris to be Aerith it says so right here in the FF bible. Moogle? What's that? Clearly it's Moguri."

e: Translator note: change moguri to Mowgli it's a reference to Jungle Book.

Actually FWIW there are a fair number of Japanese games where they romanize it as "Moglie" either in-game or in accompanying materials. I remember seeing that spelling a lot during the PS1 era.

But yeah Moguri is just dumb.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Codiekitty posted:

So's "Aerith". I can't read that name without picturing either Sylvester the Cat or a Robert Asprin book.

What, did they change Aerith to something else for the English version? I never played that.

ed: ah missed the follow-up post with "Aeris" in it. Yeah I can see how they might have messed up that romanization, but as mentioned it kind of misses the point for where the name came from.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 16, 2015

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Everything was pretty weird overall in the novels.

FTFY. The dude who wrote the novels was clearly on some sort of psychotropic drug, and they just get weirder the further they go. They had a villain (I think in the third book) whose weapon was his acne, when he popped his zits demon spiders flew out and killed people.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

That's loving awesome, it'd be sweet to get game adaptations of that crazy BS. Without the piles of rapes.

Nah, there's a lot of batshit crazy stuff but it's all bad batshit crazy stuff. Nothing makes sense, the writing is atrocious, it's basically really bad Go Nagai horror manga fanfic. (Which the games kind of are too)

The original Megami Tensei game basically was a game adaption of the first three novels--actually it was supposed to be a sequel, never mind that the hero and heroine both die at the end of the third book--but there's so little in it that's actually game-worthy that what we got was probably the closest we could get. And it was a really bad game too.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. posted:

From what I've read in the Megaten wiki, the second novel has a demon baby or some poo poo (Loki and the literature? teacher's child). The pregnant lady even goes batshit and becomes half demon and grows some scales and it's all very gross and crazy. Also, from the summaries and the OVA, the protagonist dude comes out as one hell of a jerk, because the teacher (Ohara) had no part in his early trauma of getting his poo poo kicked in for... rejecting a girl's advances? Is there some detail that the summaries miss or is the characterization really that bad?

Nope, that's pretty much right, it's that bad. The protagonist is basically a sociopath that magically stops being a sociopath for no apparent reason. Eventually he gets put on trial and sentenced to a public hanging for murder and unleashing demonic hellspawn on the earth. I'm guessing the author is expecting the reader to sympathize with him by that point but he's so unlikable and it's such poor writing I doubt anyone really would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My character married a goddess and we had a brown skinned kid with red hair. Neither of us are dark skinned or have red hair...I think I need to talk to her about this.

Hey, sounds just like the first Oreshika for PS! :v:

Too bad I don't have a Vita or I'd totally get it. It's not as :nms: as the first game is it? As good as that game was, watching a full-grown man re-enter his mother's womb the same way he came out has got to be one of, if not the creepiest, things I've ever seen in a game.