Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

mdh1975 posted:

Has anyone played the pc port of Last Remnant that is on sale at Amazon? Worth $15 and my time?

It's an excellent port, and actually has more content than the 360 version I think. It's definitely worth 15 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Speaking of 4, I feel like I'm missing something. I enjoy the gameplay and combat, but it feels like I need to grind to go on in certain points in the beginning. That's fine, but I don't know how many days I can spend doing so without using too much time up. Also, my OCD kicks in the the s-links, but that's just my fault, not the game's.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Stelas posted:

How far is it off coming out of Early Access? I'd like to get that 20% off but I really don't want to buy anything on EA if I can at all help it.

I think it's coming out on the 30th.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Hey nerds, do you guys talk about Zelda games in here or are they not RPG enough? There's no reason to play the DS or 3DS games in any order, is there? I have played through the first area of Ocarina of Time and reached the castle (or keep or town or whatever it is) with the moat around it. I also have Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks sitting untouched from an eBay purchase... does it matter at all in terms of playing order?

It doesn't really matter at all, though Phantom is a sequel to Wind Waker.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Hmm...so if I'm gonna drop $50 at Gamestop for a Wii game, between Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade, would I be better of skipping Xenoblade, despite the huge hype?

If you can get the Trilogy for less than 100 bucks I'd get that.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

al-azad posted:

Apparently they reprinted Xenoblade and Metro Prime Trilogy because people noted that new copies are in the cheapo recyclable cases that became the standard in the past 2-3 years. Both games are relatively common now but you're still going to pay $40+ for each.

Well in that case get both eventually, they're both great.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Authorman posted:

FF5 is a better game than FF6.

I love FF6 and all, but I completely agree with this.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Oh, I thought it was a linear game with no coming back. That's good to know, thanks.

All the Arkham games are "metroidvania" type games, and I don't believe anythings permanently missable until Origins challenges, which are stupid in other ways.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I've had worse luck with Dolphin myself, a lot of stuttering and sound issues on my end. It's still a cool as heck emulator though, the developer blog read-ups are always fascinating and I fully expect either an upcoming release or my next PC to handle it better.

Many of the sound issues have been fixed by recent builds, and like you said the dev blog is fantastic. I haven't really had many issues with PCSX2 either barring Shadow Hearts.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah, I had FPS issues in PCSX2 on Shadow Hearts, but they might have been fixed since last year when I tried it last.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Codiekitty posted:

So Persona 3's worth looking into.

Next question: Persona 3, or Persona 3 FES?

(Actually, I don't seem to have FES, but it's only $16 on Amazon right now)

FES if you can't play the portable version.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like dogs.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Sweet, thanks.

Also if you get the gun style from the englishman the game become hilarious.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Really? In a thread full of JRPGs, and you think THIS is "dumb hair"?

Especially because Seymour has the hair he does.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Levantine posted:

And to their credit, Bioware included a "Get the gently caress out" dialog option that is available every time you talk to her. She is also the only companion to have this.

Some said I was wrong to tell her to gently caress off, but I feel I haven't missed a thing by doing so.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Final Fantasy XIII really as bad as everyone says it is?

It's really linear and boring, not really aggressively bad though. No real reason to play through it, just pick up XIII Lighting returns when it comes out on PC, that game's pretty fun.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My favorite thing to do in AP is still shotguns and melee with Veteran.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

1. Alpha Protocol
2. Witcher 2
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Vampire Bloodlines
5. Final Fantasy 5
6. Persona 4
7. Planescape
8. Fallout 2
9. Mass Effect 2
10. Final Fantasy X-2 :colbert:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

and somehow im the only deus ex fan

No that's #11 along with the newest one and if we're considering Pripyat an RPG that's probably in my top ten somewhere.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

Oh man, this was actually a lot harder than I was expecting. This list is very subjective and probably heavily influenced by nostalgia

1. Earthbound
2. Xenogears
3. Suikoden 2
4. Chrono Trigger
5: Fallout 2
6. Persona 4: Golden
7. Persona 3: FES
8. Final Fantasy 7
9. Morrowind
10: Deus Ex

P4 was already on my list but this can be pretty much 11-20.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Resonance of Fate was a good game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Everyone should play Shadow Hearts games.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Looper posted:

That some uh, some quality voice direction right there

Geralt's voice actor/voice director changed so much from W1 to 2 that it's not even funny.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

So is either part of P2 worth playing still?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got the PS3 release of SMT: Nocturne on a whim yesterday - holy poo poo it's really good. I'm just pumping points into strength right now, any specific build I should go for?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Well I just beat matador which I was always warned about and have the focus magatama, thanks for the tips!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Verranicus posted:

More MMORPG than RPG, but the upcoming patch from FFXIV features many references to FFVI including a remix of one of the best boss battle themes from the game at the very beginning of the trailer. I'm quite hyped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZET2yYZLN8

Guess I'll resub, I can't resist Hilde.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

no ps3 version eh

they better loving make it pstv compatible then

I wouldn't hold out hope with the TV being discontinued.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm finally back to playing Nocturne again. I beat Matador "fine" (lost all my party but killed him), but now I can't beat Thor, though the two bosses before him are no issues. Any particular level or demons I should recruit? I'm pretty low on money right now too.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Curious, Thor is much easier than Matador. Well, he's primarily a physical attacker, so having some burly demons helps. Momonofu can be recruited around there and he resists physical attacks and is weak to ailments, which Thor doesn't use.

Otherwise, just find a combo to boost your damage up. Focus and a physical attack should do a consistent few hundred damage, Tornado is a great spell to use on him, and you can debuff him as well.

Yeah I probably need to just level once and get Tornado. I'll pick up Momonofu as well, I skipped grabbing one on the way to Thor.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Davincie posted:

she's the worst

She's real bad and honesly didn't add anything to the game for me because I didn't like her dungeon either.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I don't have much interest in playing as some J-Rock band on a road trip in one of their dads cars, which is what it looks like.

That's hosed up

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Which Atelier(s) game(s) should I play

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

then here's my exciting meaningful criticism

-everything after mettaton was stupid and heavy-handed and typical "YOU'RE BAD FOR KILLING THINGS IN VIDEO GAMES" 100-level philosophy course trash, and i say this having only ever played a pacifist run
-i was just gonna put the game down right there because the ctd happened when i thought the narrative and gameplay was at its absolute lowest and then it manages to go even lower by simulating a crash
-my other least-favorite ctd was the one that happened after like every other boss
-subjectively, the only track i actually like is spider dance. i either didn't care about or actively disliked everything else.
-the encounter rate was just dumb, the entire time it was monster after monster and you clear them and you still run into them until you fully complete the area
-it's like a bad book: the more i think about having played it, the more i see parts i really disliked
-the epilogue was good, more games need a proper epilogue proportional to their length instead of just "YOU WIN"

3/10 game, 30% of the games i've played in my life were worse than it

Lol

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is Yakuza 4 something I need a guide for or should I just play it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Levantine posted:

I can see the appeal of Assassin in Dragons Dogma, but I'm just not feeling it yet. It definitely shines when climbing large monsters and attacking weak points, but Warrior just seems superior in places like the Catacombs. Granted, I don't see any increased mobility at lower vocation levels so maybe that's the issue. I'm going to try to max the vocation before I switch again (if I do). Maybe I just "get" the whole swinging a fuckoff huge sword thing.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the dagger classes besides magick archer.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is it worth getting the Plus version of Escha & Logy if I haven't played the PS3 version yet?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It's looking like the Plus version of Atelier Ayesha lags on PSTV and also isn't on sale right now - guessing I should go with the PS3 version for that?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finally beat Nocturne. It was great, but I think that's gonna be my only playthrough. Time to go back to Atelier and I just ordered Digimon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

rorona makes the philosopher's stone into a pie

I'm just happy there's a pie ending.