Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I beat that game, and Space Siege is loving garbage

DO YOU WANT TO THROW AWAY YOUR HUMANITY Y/N?

This is their lauded "choice" for the game? A loving binary input? jesus christ

Congratulations on beating GOTY Space Siege!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's not an RPG, but for what it's worth, Kane and Lynch 2 is the worst game I've ever paid full price for. That poo poo made DA2 look like, uh, a pretty good game. DA:O maybe.

Worst RPG I've played is probably DX:IW. That was a bad game with or without the Deus Ex name.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lurchibles posted:

Was that actually any good? I heard mixed things... It's dirt cheap on Amazon but the user-review thing (star rating) is incredibly low!

the combat is poo poo, the RPG gameplay abstractions are decent, and the writing is fantastic

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't really see any reason why one Fallout would have aged any worse than the other, Fallout 2 was better in the sense that it had a goddamn fuckton of content, but that wasn't a universally beneficial part of Fallout 2 (loving New Reno)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the temple takes like five minutes, unless you can't outrun the scorpions (and if you can't outrun the scorpions your character sucks)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
weird question but what happened to the Mass Effect Andromeda single player thread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sakurazuka posted:

There was only a single player

RIP

(did it get deleted or something)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It was a very bad game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

corn in the bible posted:

why are you posting this in multiple threads

Because I wanted to find the Mass Effect Andromeda single player thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I wanted to see some funny posts from fellow gamers.

Also because they just announced there's not going to be any SP DLC support which was really funny.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Tokyo Mirage Sessions? That got a big stink over some of the costume changes.

that was the vagina bones game, right

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lets hang out posted:

The Olympics means lots of international eyeballs pointed at Japan and people in power over there are getting really nervous that the thing those eyeballs are going to see is some really creepy anime poo poo. It's not just hitting video games, all media is suddenly under heavy scrutiny for it. Every host country goes crazy trying to clean up and look presentable for the Olympics.

for an example here, San Francisco hosted the Super Bowl and did their best to try to sweep away all the homeless people for that month

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah like to be clear they did nothing to try to address the cause of the homeless people, they just got cops to beat up homeless camps in the touristy areas

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh well my bad on that part. Never played the game myself.

But Titty games are fine by me. I'm not buying them so it doesn't really concern me. It just gets annoying hearing about "SJWs" all the time. And by the sound of it the market will be flooded by titty media again in a couple years.

I don't like them and I stopped playing Zero Escape specifically because I hated the character designs so much

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Calgary made money as well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i've done some truly stupid poo poo to grind in loot shooters like Borderlands, which is what happens when you're on college break and have nothing to do

"dumbest thing you've ever grinded for" would be a depressing topic, god.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's not about how hard the dungeons are, it's about it being a dungeon crawling game at all, which pokemon is not

except for the most pedantic possible interpretation of it, in which case literally every RPG is a dungeon crawler because of how foundational Wizardry was to the genre

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah why would the RPG thread want a game where not all fights end with one-shotting the enemy with the same strategy over and over again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sony putting the US release of Persona 1 on the PS Classic was the greatest act of corporate trolling of the 2010s

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DAI wasn't nearly as bad as DA2 but it's one of the most blatant "mmo as single player game" Rpgs I've played when it comes to boring open worlds and fetch/kill x enemies quests, to the point where I legitimately wondered if it was an abandoned MMO project.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the funny thing about his "people weren't used to character development" is that i'm more surprised these days when a game *doesn't* do it for any character who isn't a cypher/stand-in silent protagonist, mainly because the Don Giovanni/Scarlett o'Hara "character who spends the entire story not learning a goddamn thing" thing is hard to pull off well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Squall is probably the best example I can think of of actually doing the "unlikable to the point of being hostile to a player" thing well, but FF8 will always remain a cult game for (several) reasons.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
who can forget the mc's stats getting halved for a chapter in Disgaea because he has a weakness to anime boobs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my favorite things about Kiyru's side jobs in Y5:

like fully half the taxi missions end in a poorly justified fist-fight because Yakuza

speaking of "poorly justified", iirc the reason Kiryu starts street racing in the first place is because he picks up a cop who just goes "Boy, I hate street racers! Hey, I have a great idea! I give you permission to go street racing so you can defeat all those awful street racers!!"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's just ruined everyone's brains. It's so frustrating.

it extremely whips rear end when 20 y/os start parroting literal right wing talking points about Protecting Our Children because of someone's fanfic with 25 views

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think i asked this in another thread (maybe the general chat thread) but how many RPGs are there where a dude is clearly the most sexualized character (this is almost certainly inspired by me playing Disgaea 4 with Fenrich running around in hot pants)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I blame twitter.

i blame tumblr dying and shifting all that poo poo over to Twitter, as if that site wasn't bad enough

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i usually simplify things with the "would i be mortified if a roommate walked in with this character on the screen" test

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i want an RPG where everyone is ugly. basically make it like one of those working-class 1970s sitcoms

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kanfy posted:

Power move is to test for roommates by deliberately leaving increasingly smutty characters on your screen and seeing if and when they get mortified.

the problem is when your uncle walks in and yells "yowza, take a look at those garbanzos" or something

Endorph posted:

Oh and there's some otome games that have RPG elements, even a few that have full-on combat, but I can't think of any that got translated.

yeah, though I feel like otome is "cheating"/against the spirit of the question

with that being said Fenrich in D4 is almost explicit (as in there are poorly-veiled jokes about it) yaoi-bait, which is cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I'm always wary about immediately jumping on something subtly queer as baity, if mainly because there's still a lot of push-back for such representation in media, and sometimes relying on coded trope and terminology is the only way to get it through.

on the one hand, yes, on the other hand it's basically a running joke with the girl characters forming a gossip circle and basically shipping the two male leads together, which seems to be a good-natured rib on that kind of thing

and yeah i honestly don't mind it that much- it really only struck me as unusual 'cuz that's like, the *only* explicitly sexualized character design among the main party, and I don't remember a lot of examples where a male character filled that "role"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the dude character-design equivalent of big honkers is having visible hip bones

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

People intentionally mispronouncing it as 'yeehk' will never not be funny to me.

I thought it was "eek" and I refuse to stop pronouncing it that way

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kanfy posted:

Some people would, but just "people"? Naw, not a chance.

some people like the combat in The Witcher, which I think is a symptom of like not having ever played dmc or something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
has anyone gotten into Fuga, aka "Kemono ENEMIES" yet, it seemed to launch with weirdly zero leadup, though RPGsite seemed to like it

the premise looked appealing enough for the forty bucks but probably not until I finish TWEWY2

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 30, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually didn't know it was a series and halfway just wanted to say "Kemono ENEMIES"

The whole turn-based combat/tank management thing did seem like an appealing loop, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
apropos of nothing wasn't the Grandia port the one which had the German localization which translated "miss" (as in, the opposite of "hit") as 'Fraulein"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I went hype when I saw the Soul Nomad/Phantom Brave re-releases on Switch and it looks like rear end graphically

i'll probably play it because i have a Nippon Ichi weakness, though I still haven't gotten D6

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lets hang out posted:

I finished Fuga, twice. it was longer than I expected, first playthrough was 19 hours, second i sped up with cheat engine but it still took all day. the battle system is engaging, all about timeline management kind of like Saga Scarlet Grace, but also has SSG's problem of a pretty small enemy pool that they just keep throwing at you in different configurations for the entire game. it gets a bit repetitive, the kind of game best played like an hour a night, until the very last stage when the plot suddenly turns up and goes completely bananas, making for a pretty exciting finale. and the good ending includes a 700 year flash forward to tease Solatorobo, so that's neat.

there's also a super secret hidden movie in the game, so secret no one is really sure what unlocks it, including the translators I guess because it doesn't have english subs, teasing a grim, revenge-themed direct sequel to Fuga. CC2 originally announced Fuga as the first of a "trilogy of vengeance" so I guess that adds up.

sick I wanted to get this as soon as I saw the artstyle and I didn't know it was actually part of a series

I stupidly blew sixty bucks on Mario 3D World so I'm tapped out on games excepting Quake but the artstyle and combat interface all looked super enticing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i love NIS spritework!!! loving it up with terrible upscaling should be a crime

seriously look at the screenshots on the Switch eshop, and imagine choosing those to represent the game lol. I know NIS is constantly in trouble but was the Disgaea gacha that bad

e) i'm glad that Soul Nomad is still rated T for Teen though

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 22, 2021