Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Megaflare posted:

This is one of my favorite RPGs. There's actually a mod out there that allows you to speed up battle so it's plenty bearable. I wouldn't recommend trying to play it without it.

Holy poo poo.

I loved the plot, sense of humour and designs in the game, but couldn't stand the battles and so never finished it. Might give it another try with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tired Moritz posted:

name me a rpg game on the pc

Shadowrun - Dragonfall.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Speaking of CRPGs what is this thread's thoughts on Pillars of Eternity? Just wondering.

I was a huge fan of all the Infinity engine games but for whatever reason I never got into PoE, despite thinking the entire time that it was a good game. I want to go back and try it again sometime but I'm on a JRPG kick right now and don't get a ton of time for gaming besides.

PoE is gorgeous, but combat is far too similar to BG2 (which is boring for me, but might be a plus for you) and the narrative suffers from being more concerned about doing world-building than telling a compelling story.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tell me about Zeboyd's Cosmic Star Heroine.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

kirbysuperstar posted:

HyperDuck are very good.

Yeah, the one thing I remember the fondest from Penny Arcade's In the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 is the rad soundtrack it had.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

prometheusbound2 posted:

I'd like to continue my exploration of the genre, but would like to avoid irritating puzzles. The genre isn't really good for avoiding bloat, but speedier combat encounters and lack of random encounters would also be nice features. It's a shame, because I generally love turn based combat and thought the genre would offer that, but grind really does seem to be the norm for these games.

Chrono Trigger entirely deserves its reputation and has very little filler content.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'd say reconsider and maybe try out Deadfire. PoE1 is divisive but pretty much everyone who tried 2 loves it. It really has pretty outstanding roleplaying and ability to play your own character, and some interesting romances too.

And if what put you off 1 was the setting, 2 shakes it up and is set in fantasy Hawaii/South Pacific.

Seconding this. I was very disappointed with Pillars of Eternity 1 and slept on 2 until people insisted it was better. I think it's Obsidian's best game and most interesting setting since New Vegas.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like John the Immortal but I don't think I buy this.

Though he does use wolf metaphors when talking about Carter and Sion has wolf metaphors for some of his skills so perhaps that is a Bloodwalker thing???
But yeah I dunno, that feels weird and far-fetched. I can't see it.

John shows up for the first time in mission that has Sion reminiscing about his brothers. So I honestly believe that one.

Also I am nominating Kylie as the sole straight person in the cast.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PunkBoy posted:

It may not be optimal, but running Alisa as a Berserker in Troubleshooter is so much fun. I'm just having her run around during the enemies' turns in a rage state and slash anyone who happens to be nearby. It's extra fun when Immortality kicks in and she becomes basically unstoppable.

That's like one or her best builds. I usually send her alone to enter Rampage and clear out a large part of the map. It is also a spiderhell certified build.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Seventh Arrow posted:

I just finished playing through the Divinity series, culminating in DOS 2 (although I somehow missed Dragon Commander, maybe it didn't go on sale or something). Very fun! Looking to fill the RPG-sized hole in my life, I installed Tyranny and ugh, did I bounce off that one hard.

edit: oh also, did I miss out on skipping Dragon Commander? Is it worth checking out?

Dragon Commander is a good CYOA game in the middle of a so so RTS, not really a RPG. Have to agree on your feelings on PoE and Tyranny. That said, Pillars of Eternity 2 is a huge improvement on 1, the prose is still overwrought but more to the point. I am of the opinion that PoE1 was too busy with worldbuilding and tone to deliver its plot. The combat is better than 1, has less but still some trash encounter but still not that good.

I would suggest Encased. The combat is turn-based and even if it is not really on the tactical level of the Divinity or even Shadowrun games it at least doesn't do trash encounters. Exploration is cool, the writing is snappy and to the point and the setting is a 70's sci-fi inspired by the Roadside Picnic novel (which spawned the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games) with a tone that's very reminiscent of the classic Fallouts. The only down on the game is that the fatigue system gets in the way at the very start, but after the intro segment you can just overdose on coffee and amphetamines to ignore it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Morpheus posted:

Are there Isekais where the protagonist isn't some flavour of nerd

I mean there's Gate, which as I understand is more of a fawning over the Japanese defense force, but other than that (and the main guy in that is a huge anime need anyway)

I want to see a trained mercenary get thrown into a bubble gum fantasy world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An3t39SGSUE

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 25, 2022

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i've joked before that Deus Ex Invisible War was almost solely responsible for setting back console/PC player relations by like a decade because so many PC players assumed the game's awful engine-related limitations were due to console limitations and that all console/PC releases in the future would be like that

It certainly did for me, no joke. I was so hyped for Deus Ex 2 and then, that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PunkBoy posted:

TIL that I'm not even close to unlocking all the masteries for Troubleshooter. I know some are unlocked by story stuff, but I didn't realize a bunch were unlocked via achievements and other actions. I'm trying to get a mastery that requires capturing and leveling a Gold Tongue, but Giselle keeps on dying because she immediately draws aggro whenever she starts to tame it. Not sure how to keep her alive.

Put Anne's starlight prison on Gold Tongue after taming begins. Ideally do it after cleaning up most of the area from threats. The Gold Beasts are all difficult to tame, since they come in a set and they're all very dangerous.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

wait, Paper Mario games are spiritual successors to Super Mario RPG? I thought they were like party/mini-game collections.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Bug Fable is the only one that comes to mind. The MP pool was shared, too

How is Bug Fables, by the way? I've had it in my wishlist for ages, but I never really pressed the button.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Snake Maze posted:

The most hilarious part of this system is that:

1. That skill that determines how well you do on the test, and the skill that determines your actual skill level in the subject are 100% disconnected. Raising one does not help the other in any way

2. Actually attending class raises neither

lol. I bounced off Academagia but that's 100% on point

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How's Star Renegades?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What modern RPGs even use the traversable overworld map anymore?

Deadfire did it with a boat, and a space-opera could do maybe Mass Effect 3's formula with a ton of optional areas.

Horizon's Gate, though that's also a boat.

Encased too.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What modern RPGs even use the traversable overworld map anymore?

Oh yeah, Mount & Blade: Bannerlord too.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, I've gotten to the part of Cosmic Star Heroine where you get access to the ship and can switch party members. I've enjoyed the game so far and there's a lot to like in the combat system, but I feel I've kinda solved it and I am not really invested enough in the plot and characters to play just for that. Are there any twists on the formula up ahead?

It's a similar feeling to what I've had with other Zeboyd Games, in that they are this close to being great, but they fall just short of crossing that line.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NikkolasKing posted:

Only played the start of CSH but I think the Style system or something like it should be implemented in most turn-based/ATB/whatever RPGs. Something to stop you from just spamming the same moves over and over and over and over. I always think of Chrono Trigger where the final fight with Lavos was a mind-numbing repeat of Triple Kick, Luminaire, and something from Magus. But mot every JRPG ends up like this in the end,

It is an interesting system, but I feel it still led to a kinda repetitive rhythm with a more elaborate rotation of abilities, honestly felt it was kind of tiresome by the third planet. It is certainly something that could be iterated further... Speaking of, did anyone play their follow-up... Shakespeare Sailor Moon game? How did that turn out?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thuryl posted:

Compared to CSH, it feels a little slower-paced and more tightly balanced; combat is less about setting up one big attack that lets you wipe the whole enemy party. It's also a bit more aggressive about forcing you to use a rotating roster of characters so you can't just get comfortable with one team and stick with them, which could be a good or a bad thing depending on your taste. The writing gimmick of every Shakespearean or faux-Shakespearean line having a "translate into modern English" feature is also actually funny a lot of the time, and sometimes even useful for understanding stuff.

Thanks! That does sound like something I'd like, so to the Wishlist it goes.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So I got an itch to play something kinda like the latter Harebrained Shadowruns, but I am not sure where to look for? I don't mean the exact gameplay loop, format or aesthetics, but more like a relatively short RPG (less than 20 hours to beat) with decent-to-good mechanics that feels sorta like a tabletop campaign. Any suggestions?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Runa posted:

I feel like the most well-regarded ttrpg-based rpgs are all digital doorstoppers like the Pathfinder games, so something being relatively short is going to be a tough find.

Maybe Tyranny? With the caveat that mechanically it actually isn't very good and is mostly a vehicle for the writing.

Also obviously Disco Elysium is basically a ttrpg with a really sharp GM and no discrete combat system (anything remotely combat-related is relegated to being resolved with the regular skill system). But recommending DE on SA in the year 2023 feels a bit like preaching to the choir and the odds of any rpg-fan on the forums not already having played it are pretty slim, so if you've already done so ignore this recommendation.

Hell, yeah, my problem with Pathfinder is exactly how long they are (also feeling like I need to cast a lot of buffs before every fight, plus the volume of trash fights). They all out-stayed their welcome, even if I otherwise enjoyed parts of them.

Yeah, loved Disco Elysium. Did attempt to play through Tyranny three times, but the combat was so bad that I gave up on it. maybe i should try it for a fourth time on easy or something, because I loved the writing there.

If anyone is on the same quest as me I'd drop Encased as a rec. Looking here my playthrough of it was 30 hours and it is definitely very janky, but very much worth a play through, specially for people who want something that feels similar to Fallout 2.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hwurmp posted:

Cosmic Star Heroine
Masquerada: Songs and Shadows

Oh yeah, I enjoyed CSH! Not enough to finish it, but it was a good time.

I also started Masquerada but floundered because I got extremely busy and then had a hard reset when I got back into my gaming pants, might give it go again. Good rec!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Janissary Hop posted:

Showgunners is the best turnbased game that came out recently that flew under everyone's radar. Much more linear and shorter than Shadowrun though.

drat, I had no idea this even existed and looks like 100% my poo poo, thanks! Going to add it to the wishlist.

Hwurmp posted:

there's also Zeboyd's most recent title about Shakespeare-based magical girls, This Way Lies Madness

Oh yeah, I have my eye on this one. Will probably pick it up during the Summer sale.

This question actually makes me wonder, why are so many RPGs such long-rear end games? I kinda feel this is something that begun around the PS1 era, but I don't exactly trust my memory.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Colonel posted:

it's arguably what rpgs were always trying to be, it just took them a while to figure it out and get the proper hardware for it.

drat, thanks for the effort post! I lived through that time but never really put it all together.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Snooze Cruise posted:

(im girlies)

for sure

I'd also enjoy an Alisa game

i too im girlies

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Prowler posted:

I am 20 hours into Troubleshooter and unlocked my third party member at around 17 hours in, holy moly.

Yeah, I strongly recommend ignoring all non-plot cases until you get a full party (for whatever defiition of full party you care for) or you hit a difficulty brick-wall.

For what's worth, the pace of new characters joining increases pretty quickly.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Professor Moriarty posted:

Horizon's Gate, maybe? Just got it myself and so far it seems kinda neat.

Horizon's Gate is awesome! I would suggest grabbing some mods for it though, as the procedural encounters leave something to be desired. Prominece's stuff elevates it from "this is a neat game with really cool systems" into "S-tier open world tactics game", I would strongly recommend it even on a first playthrough.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, what are the threads feelings on Starfield and Sea of Stars? Also I guess the last Star Ocean while we're on it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ImpAtom posted:

Sea of Stars is a super generic 'comfy' RPG with some incredibly nice sprite work and music. If you just want an entirely inoffensive nostalgia game it is good.
Starfield is a Bethesda game with a poorly implimented space element stapled on. If you want a Bethesda game and don't mind the space part not being well done it is fine.
Star Ocean 6 is mediocre to the point of being forgettable and looks absolutely loving awful, but it certainly exists and it isn't terrible, just kind of boring.

Thanks! I guess none of them are five stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What's so good about Colony Ship to warrant a title change?

I see it's from the fellas who did that post-apoc Rome game, so I guess it's kind of similar to that in a sci-fi setting and some lessons learned?